#1 Posted by TheCappuccinoBandit (268 posts) -
#2 Posted by TheCappuccinoBandit (268 posts) -

Another poll to help with my research work. Thanks for your help!

#3 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

Depends on how well and creatively it's executed.  

I do have a soft spot for Fantasy, though.

#4 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

Ever since Mass Effect I've had a boner for Sci-Fi video games.

#5 Posted by TheCappuccinoBandit (268 posts) -
@Underachiever007 said:
" Depends on how well and creatively it's executed.   I do have a soft spot for Fantasy, though. "
Yeah I know what you mean. Both Sci-Fi and fantasy settings can seem generic if poorly done. 
#6 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -

My favorite is near-future Sci-Fi (like The Longest Journey), as it is far enough out to try some crazy ideas, but still close enough to be relatable and relevant to our current time. I find fantasy to often to generic.

#7 Posted by Badhands (399 posts) -
@Mahonay said:
" Ever since Mass Effect I've had a boner for Sci-Fi video games. "
#8 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1174 posts) -

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (11716 posts) -

Fantasy, in theory, but most fantasy games unfortunately tend to revolve around tired medieval/sword and sorcery tropes. So, I went with Sci-fi.

#10 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

Rapture.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

Depends on the context and who's at the helm of creating this setting, really. A well done take on our current reality can be just as engaging and intriguing as a futuristic Sci-Fi setting if handled well. 
I voted Sci-Fi just because of my own biased love for the stuff, though ;P Also I think Historical should of been a poll option too.

#12 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

Mix between options A and C

#13 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

Favorite setting in all types of entertainment is Sci-Fi for me, my favorite videogame universe is the one in Mass Effect

#14 Posted by TheCappuccinoBandit (268 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" Depends on the context and who's at the helm of creating this setting, really. A well done take on our current reality can be just as engaging and intriguing as a futuristic Sci-Fi setting if handled well. I voted Sci-Fi just because of my own biased love for the stuff, though ;P Also I think Historical should of been a poll option too. "
Yeah  I just quickly through the poll together for my work, fair point I see what you mean.
#15 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

games set in a world that is ending, but hasn't ended yet, are pretty cool.

#16 Edited by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Sci-fi and fantasy are equally interesting to me.

#17 Posted by Droop (1833 posts) -

New York City, duh. 

My real answer: I prefer some sort reality.

#18 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

Sci-Fi offers an opportunity to explore a lot of varied settings so I went with that. 

#19 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

While it wasn't necessarily the best game, or even a good one by some standards, I thought the world of Too Human was interesting. The whole cyber-Viking thing couuuuld have been really cool. 

#20 Posted by TheCappuccinoBandit (268 posts) -

This is all fantastic feedback! This will be very useful in my research notes. Thank you!

#21 Edited by PenguinDust (12455 posts) -

Reality (current time period) because it's rarely attempted outside of modern shooters.  It's easy to look at reality in video games and notice the inconsistencies with real reality.  It's harder or more excusable in fantasy or sci-fi.  I find that adventuring in something similar to the real world is more entertaining because it allows us to do things we would never have the opportunity to do, even though we could I we chose to.  Spaceships and aliens are the same thing as dragons and elves in my mind, but a Fiat is still a Fiat whether in a game or outside my window.  It demands more of my attention because my required level of disbelief is higher than it would be in a more fantastic setting.  For example, if I dragon defied the laws of physics I can accept it easier because it's a make-believe creature.  If a car does the same, it's harder for me to accept because I know from experience how automobiles should handle under most situations, and for those I don't, I can extrapolate from my personal experience.   The pitfall to game makers working in a reality setting is that the real world doesn't usually make for a fun environment.  Balancing the two sides of fun and ease of acceptance is one of the bigger challenges when creating a modern reality game.   

#22 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

sci-fi, since you can make up things. you can make up flying space monkeys with guns and people will like it.

#23 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

This is a non-question. There's no such thing as the most interesting setting, it all depends on how it's executed.

#24 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

Good to see fantasy at the bottom.  It really gobbles down rancid hairy tramp plums.  OOooh I'm an Elf.  Wonder if the stealthy thief character will not be a woman for a change... no, for all women are sneaky thieves who steal the hearts of sad programmers.