What is the most poorly written story in a game in your opinion

SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By SumDeus

I remember Red Faction Guerilla's story just being awful. And Just Cause 2's more for being just nonsense.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Torchlight....It didn't really have a story...but it still counts. 

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Jay444111

Portal having bad story? alrighty then, gamefaqs I go again, at least they are smarter there and know what a good and or great story actually is. most people don't even know the MEANING of what the word STORY is. I am done here.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#104  Edited By wrighteous86
@Jay444111 said:
" You hate videogames, it is just a fact that everyone in this topic knows now. You defended yourself by being an insane ass and now look at yourself. Because I knew as soon as I said that I was a writer, without proving it to you, you would make a total ass of yourself in this very topic. There is a difference between arguing and being an ass. One of which you don't seem to realize that I am taking advantage of.

Get a mirror dude, look at yourself, you are quite possibly one of the most self absorbed people I think I have ever met, in real life or the internet. I am glad that I was able to destroy you like I was planning upon your first post here."

I'm an English Writing major, I've won awards for my writing, and he argues his point much better than you do. You just don't seem to understand what he's saying, or are willfully ignoring it. You should stop now, you're making yourself look bad.
If you think you'd be happier on GameFAQs, you should go. They seem to be at about your level, and at least then we won't have to deal with threads about hypothetical gravity questions and poorly thought out "game industry paparazzi" theories.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By BraveToaster
@Jay444111 said:
" Portal having bad story? alrighty then, gamefaqs I go again, at least they are smarter there and know what a good and or great story actually is. most people don't even know the MEANING of what the word STORY is. I am done here. "
You should add this to your NerdRage thread.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

All-time, I'd have no clue. But in recent years, Borderlands and Gears of War spring to mind. 

The former abandons its narrative moments after the opening cutscene. The latter just jumps from plot point to plot point without bothering to tell the player how they got from one to the other. 
Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107  Edited By Simplexity

Final Fantasy 13, I've never seen anything like it, it basically tells you to read pages upon pages upon pages of dry text (horribly formated by the way) just so you can have some idea of what the fucks going on.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#108  Edited By DystopiaX
@Jay444111: You should look in a mirror. he articulated his points. You claimed you were a writer (irrelevant) that he hated videogames (obviously untrue, or he wouldn't be here), that you were better than him (irrelevant), and then ended with rage. No discussion there. He had plenty of discussion.

@Jay444111 said:
" Portal having bad story? alrighty then, gamefaqs I go again, at least they are smarter there and know what a good and or great story actually is. most people don't even know the MEANING of what the word STORY is. I am done here. "
If you think people at Gamefaqs are smart you must not be. Portal's story was terrible, there wasn't even one for the most part. You wake up and for 75% of the game have no idea what's happening other than the fact that some robot wants you to complete puzzles. Was the writing funny? Yes. Clever? Yes. Was the ending song awesome? Yes. Does that mean the story is good? No.
Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Jay444111:  *slowclap* Bravo sir. Bravo.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By DystopiaX
@drbendo: Dude I just wanted to congratulate and thank you for writing all of that. I wouldn't have wasted my time but I certainly salute you good sir.
biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By biospank

I have to go with condemned 2 and mw2, black obs, dantes inferno, fear2, motorstorm apocalypse, kane & lynch1-2.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By Slaker117
@drbendo: You're an asshole, but you seem intelligent and make your points well. I like that.
Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By MariachiMacabre
@Jay444111: For someone who calls himself a writer you sure do have a tough time with, you know...words and language and...grammar. Hmm.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By chrissedoff
@DystopiaX said:

" If you think people at Gamefaqs are smart you must not be. Portal's story was terrible, there wasn't even one for the most part. You wake up and for 75% of the game have no idea what's happening other than the fact that some robot wants you to complete puzzles.Was the writing funny? Yes. Clever? Yes. Was the ending song awesome? Yes. Does that mean the story is good? No. "

man i would hate to go to the movies with you. we'd watch stalker and you'd say, 'well that was just three guys walking around in the wilderness for two hours, that's not a goodstory'
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By DystopiaX
@chrissedoff said:
" @DystopiaX said:

" If you think people at Gamefaqs are smart you must not be. Portal's story was terrible, there wasn't even one for the most part. You wake up and for 75% of the game have no idea what's happening other than the fact that some robot wants you to complete puzzles.Was the writing funny? Yes. Clever? Yes. Was the ending song awesome? Yes. Does that mean the story is good? No. "

man i would hate to go to the movies with you. we'd watch stalker and you'd say, 'well that was just three guys walking around in the wilderness for two hours, that's not a goodstory' "
Don't get me wrong I loved Portal, it's just that the story wasn't very good. The ambience, the writing, the gameplay, everything else was great, it's just that often people confuse writing for story, and the plot being someone escaping from a cyborg is not a good story. But Portal didn't need one. It was one of the only games that made me laugh and I liked that about it, the puzzles stumped me occasionally and were very satisfying, GlaDOS was hilarious. But once again, none of that means that Portal had a good story.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By chrissedoff
@DystopiaX: a story is its contents, not whether it's still interesting when summed up in one sentence.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By DystopiaX
@chrissedoff said:
" @DystopiaX: a story is its contents, not whether it's still interesting when summed up in one sentence. "
I didn't write a full synopsis cause that's not important...your comment still does not address my point: Portal does not have a good story. It has good writing, but the story is virtually nonexistant.
DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By DrBendo
@Jay444111:

Your recent reply is, in some ways, even better than the first. Clearly, you tried; you paid more attention to capitalization, and you even went for a parallel structure. This makes your butchering of the language all the better. A cock-up by cock-up reply might be fun, but for the sake of brevity, I'll just let some of your own words speak for themselves. Think of it as a "Corky's Greatest Hits" of sorts. For those on the sidelines, remember: Jay is a "writer".

@Jay444111 said:

ectera.

have you boughten any videogame that even has dailouge in it that isn't pokemon

Every, single, one on this site will agree with me on this.

Also, people like you sicken me, not for the fact that you are a ass.

A story is not just how it is told, or what it is about, it is about the soul of the piece of work that was created, the sweat the tears and the joy all forming together to a single point to create classics such as citizens kane and Bioshock

Ken Levine is a great writer, one of which WILL be known as great as shakespeare of videogames. But it's going to take about 3 more pieces of classic works from him then for him to suicide for you to notice him as a writer huh?

It's going to be an awesome day when bioshock is going to be in museams as a piece of high art of storytelling, I will laugh at you severally. Most likely causing a heart attack for how much I will laugh at your inability to know what is good or bad in videogames, or story overall.

Wow, so the game about good and evil and call bioshock shit? You're quite possibly one of the most saddest human beings I think I have ever argued with

I have won this fight kiddo. (While having massive OCD on spelling.)

I have the internets side on this battle.

There is a difference between arguing and being an ass. One of which you don't seem to realize that I am taking advantage of.

My hat is off, JayStringofNumbers. Your command of the language, as a "writer", has floored me; I will never again wield a pen without feeling the stinging shame that I will never have your wit or rhetorical prowess. You are the Donny Tourette of the forum, and I am but a lowly man with a modicum of education; I sit on the panel across from you and bask in your radiance (If you don't get this, look the boy up.). I can only offer my humblest apologies for besmirching your loquacious glory with my petty notions of literacy and cohesion.

There is, indeed, a difference between arguing and being an ass; however, they are not mutually exclusive. I accomplish both with more of my posts than not. As for your charge of self-absorption, it is a common mistake; I'm really not self-absorbed, I'm just quite arrogant. There is a difference, but it involves nuance, and I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself on it, so I'll not go into detail.

You are simply not a writer of any worth or ability. Nobody with such awful grammar, syntax, organization, and diction could be. A writer needn't always use a formal style, and there is plenty of room within which breaking the rules can be effective. However, a good writer knows which rules they break and why they break them. Without a foundation in what is, literally (There I go, using that word for what it means again.) grade-school grammar, you will never accomplish anything with your writing. You have no business using that label; you are to writers what those cunts who walk the downtown streets with beards and empty guitar cases are to musicians. You prattle on about "soul," "seat," and "tears" because you cannot fathom what actual writing entails.

As for Portal, yes, the story is crap. Some bloke spraying his shorts before sex also makes for a crap story. That Wolpaw told his bland story with wonderfully dark wit has no effect on Portal's plot. That Rochester can make premature ejaculation monumentally clever and strangely endearing does nothing to improve the story behind The Imperfect Enjoyment. By no means do I suggest that Portal is anywhere near Wilmot's level; it's damned good, but that's a high fucking bar. However, both examples illustrate the difference between the story and the storytelling. Again, nuance, so mind the sharp edges.

In the event that you, as a "writer", ever post any of your work online, I implore you, please send me a link. Nobody of your level could write anything that isn't hilarious. I realize that my general dickishness may cause you to think that I'm just trying to insult you, but this is not true. The insult is merely a byproduct.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By chrissedoff
@DystopiaX: i addressed your point, but maybe it was too brief for you to notice. the ambiance and humor is a part of the story. it isn't the way it is for no reason. a story is not just the framework in which all the action takes place. if that is the most sensible way to judge a story, then almost all of them are bad.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By DystopiaX
@chrissedoff said:
" @DystopiaX: i addressed your point, but maybe it was too brief for you to notice. the ambiance and humor is a part of the story. it isn't the way it is for no reason. a story is not just the framework in which all the action takes place. if that is the most sensible way to judge a story, then almost all of them are bad. "
Only it's not...by that logic anything that's funny or creepy constitutes a story...this is clearly not true. There are plenty of creepy things with no story arc, plenty of standup acts that don't have a central story or even theme connecting the jokes...the second part of your statement is correct, but no part of Portal's story is good.
Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Romination
@biospank: I may hate that this thread is turning into "nu uh" and hearsay, but I don't think Dante's Inferno is poorly written, it's just cruel and uncaring for historical accuracy or the book. Also, I thought people liked FEAR 2's story... or is it just nonsense?
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#122  Edited By Synthballs
@Jay444111: 

PREQUELS

Not prequals. Writer my arse.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By chrissedoff
@DystopiaX: maybe this will help you understand: the quality of a music is not appropriately judged on its sheet music. or, to be a little more charitable to your argument, listened to as a midi file. the same way that most of what is good about music is in the performance, most of what is good about a story is in its execution. very few works of fiction are remembered fondly in spite of their characters or atmosphere. thinking that what constitutes a story is limited to 'what happens' is a very simplistic way to understand fiction.
DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By DrBendo
@chrissedoff:

I'd have to agree with Dystopia to some extent. It is true that a "story" involves more than just simple plot; character development and relationships are an integral part of a story. However, ambiance and humor have a more tenuous connection to the term. Humor may prove the best example for this.

A sitcom typically involves a funny story (ostensibly, anyway). The characters find themselves in an unlikely situation, and hijinks ensue. Dad tries to get a wedding ring out of the pipes, and the bathroom floods; a son tells a white lie to two parties that come into contact, and he has to maintain the conflicting stories. Despite the fact that these stories are not actually funny, the supposed humor is in the story.

In contrast, other comedies include humor that is rather independent of the story. One need only look at Woody Allen to see this. In a lot of his work (especially his old short stories), the humor has nothing to do with the situation, the plot, or even the interpersonal relationships. Often, the hilarity is derives solely from his diction. This is separate from the story. A story can translate, while diction rarely has that fortune. In other cases, humor may derive from the nuances of an actor's performance. The Ninth Gate succeeds as a dark comedy largely because so many of the performances nail the appropriate tone.

Parodies often feature the same overall stories as their serious counterparts; the humor comes from how they choose to interpret the story. Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story is very amusing, but the story is not the source of the humor; it has a story that would fit perfectly as a Lifetime movie of the week. That this story is so serious adds to the juxtaposition of it being played out using Barbie dolls. If you haven't seen it, look it up; it's under an hour and well worth a view.

I've not read Roadside Picnic, but the Stalker film's story is more than just some blokes walking. The relationships between the characters are the primary force in the story. Some of the tone does come from the story, but some of it comes from the way in which the story is interpreted. The photography, editing, pacing, and sound mix all play a vital role.

I think that the difference between story and storytelling can be illustrated by analogy to painting. One can be an incredibly skilled painter and use their skills on unappealing subjects; perhaps they only paint replicas or tongue depressors. Another painter has little skill, but they can come up with visually arresting concepts; his works are complex, deep, and provocative, but the shoddy skill undermines them at every turn. Stories and storytelling work in a very similar relationship; the concept and the execution work together, but they are not the same.
Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Kandycane2029

I'm gonna go with Army Of Two. It felt blatantly chopped up with the gaps between events.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ryanwho

Any game where an arm has its own soul.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#127  Edited By l4wd0g
Uncharted 2. They have great characters, it's very pretty, dialog is witty and fun,  but what was the story again?
Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Oddface:  Yep, that's the feeling I got from KZ2, and the reason I didn't even bother with KZ3.
Such great potential in that universe, but instead it's the generic 'so then these dudes have to go here to blow this up, but then MORE dudes arrive and you have to kill them all! The this dude DIES! Then you kill more dudes! Then explosions!'
getonBJslevel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By getonBJslevel

Homefront had an awesome idea for a story but it was VERY poorly done. I might have to go with that. None of the characters have any personality and everything about it was extremely underwhelming.

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#130  Edited By SimonM7

Audible sigh. As usual following the inquiry of "worst ever" in regards to games, people continuously cite ABSOLUTELY FINE GAMES. The notion that Modern Warfare 2 has *the worst story in a game* is thread endingly ludicrous already in the first post.

Serves me right really, I keep hoping that topics like this are attacked with a measure of insight and intelligence, and they invariably end up being about "thing X you lot didn't like very much".

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#131  Edited By LeetBalla
@TEHMAXXORZ said:
" @nick_verissimo: 
Black Ops has the worst story I have ever tortured myself to play out of all games I own.
It's a bad game in general, zombies and multiplayer offer hardly any redemption. Next time, Treyarch need to do a better damn job.
"
Really? I thought the story in Black Ops was the most interesting they have ever done. The writing is what made it bad.
Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#132  Edited By Jothel
@Jay444111 I don't agree with you at all on this and I don't think anyone, let alone "everyone on the internet," will agree with you. @drbendo presented his argument in a way that actually, well, made sense.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#133  Edited By Yanngc33

Homefront

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#134  Edited By ProfessorEss
@ryanwho said:
" Any game where an arm has its own soul. "
That's a good call.
A bad idea, poorly written and poorly delivered.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#135  Edited By mosespippy

GTA Chinatown Wars felt like it was written by a kid in grade 10 who was working as an intern at R* over his summer break. Abysmal writing with a predictable and uninteresting plot. The only likeable character was introduced in the second mission and killed off in the third mission. All the other characters were one dimensional with no development.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Meowshi
@RYNO9881 said:
"The game stories people hate tend to be the ones that most people like. "
Make no sense you do not.
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By themangalist

ugghhh... Modern Warfare 2. Shit blowing up was great, set-pieces were pretty epic, but if anyone were to try to convince me that it had a story is better than Black Ops, or simply, than any other game, i'd say they need to get checked.

MW2's story is the pinnacle of bad story writing and story telling. For my first time through i had absolutely no idea who i was and what was happening. IF was trying to piece together the visions of an epic event  through the eyes of multiple soldiers, but having too many characters disorients the player, making the game feel like a mess. The story jumps between multiple characters without clearly differentiating what each character is going through. The lack of any interesting characters further confuses the player in seeing what is going on, and most importantly, lose the sense of immersion (which the silent protagonists are supposed to enforce). Tired sequences and plot devices used twice is just unacceptable. Someone betraying you at the end of the level shooting you in the chest? It's cool but seriously, pulling the same plot twist twice is NOT called "tale of betrayal packed with twist and turns". Yes, it is unpredictable, but when the player experiences it, one would only think it's contrived and lazy.

Black Ops is entirely different. Horrible level design aside, i have to admit i enjoyed every bit of the story. You can't say you didn't see it coming, but every interactive cutscene from the protagonist's (and secondary main char's) own eyes is advancing the plot and adds to the tension and mystery. This is truly a gem in story telling in terms of the sense of immersion and draw Treyarch put in a CoD game, which was a great surprise. (well, calling it a gem may be exaggerating a bit, but i really haven't been engaged for quite a while)

@drbendo:
  you sir, are awesome.
WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#138  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
@Meowshi said:
" @RYNO9881 said:
"The game stories people hate tend to be the ones that most people like. "
Make no sense you do not. "
I think he means relative to the popularity of the game, blockbusters generally regarded for their storytelling in films or otherwise.

I don't the story of MW2 was supposed to be anything substantial. It's a game that is more about the spectacle above all else, the narrative is just in service of that.
Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#139  Edited By Ghostiet

Heavy Rain.

It doesn't shine as much because it isn't a total shitride, but I don't give a shit about the story in Modern Warfare 2 or Bulletstorm. I'm there to shoot people in the face (or in the latter case, balls). In Heavy Rain, I'm supposed to be enthralled by the story, care about the characters and it's impossible with the amount of plot holes. Half of the shit that happens after the first half makes no sense.

Also, Bionic Commando, but that game is a different fucking category.

@l4wd0g said:

" Uncharted 2. They have great characters, it's very pretty, dialog is witty and fun,  but what was the story again? "
Drake steals something mystical, gets betrayed, turns out a war criminal is after the same thing, another myth comes up as real, Drake decides to man-up and save the world, in the meanwhile he's torn up about two former girlfriends. I don't get how you can call it a "poorly written story", since a) it's pretty much the plot of an Indiana Jones movie, b) it does its job, c) doesn't make your head meet the desk throughout the game, d) it uses a legend barely anyone even heard about.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#140  Edited By JasonR86
@Tarsier said:
" all the mario games. end of story. "
The irony.  THE IRONY!
ectoplasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#141  Edited By ectoplasma

Which video game story isn't written badly? There are only a handful.

Fluxxed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Fluxxed

Worthless topic.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Jay444111
@Fluxxed said:
"

Worthless topic.

"

This, @ectoplasma

said:

"

"

From a person that has only played pokemon games, correct? this just proves a majority of gamers are morons and wouldn't know what writing is if it smacked them in the face, I call it. Espically considering people who play videogames that complain about story like the below guy don't even know what a story actually is. It is about a tale of a meaning. something many many videogames do very well. Whether that be is to Survive like in Left 4 dead or Portal. (which does have a great story, only morons say differently to be quite honest.) or about war and technology like the MGS and Fallout series. both of which follow this meaning extremely well. to even things like objectivism like Bioshock. (saying it has a bad story is one of the dumbest things a person can say online, just being honest.)

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Romination

I'm glad to see that this thread hasn't stopped being fucking retarded. I wish the mods would close it, it's just left the original point so far behind by now.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Gears of War 2 had one of the worst stories and most poorly established game worlds I have ever seen. There were tons of inconsistencies between the first game and the second (it was a long time ago so I can't remember many specifics, other than the strange lack of Berserkers in the second game,) and overall it just took itself way too seriously. It's like with the first game they weren't really trying so they just made stuff up as they went, and they thought they could do the same with the second game, but they decided to make it way more serious. That level of absurdity in the story (razor hail? Seriously? So every time it hails, all of their shit gets destroyed and everyone has to flee indoors?) does not meld with the serious tone they were trying too create. 

Another good nominee was OP's choice of Modern Warfare 2. There's an article on Gamesradar that dissects that game's plot nicely, and it makes no damn sense whatsoever. 
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By BraveToaster
@Jay444111 said:

" @Fluxxed said:

"

Worthless topic.

"

This, @ectoplasma

said:

"

"

From a person that has only played pokemon games, correct? this just proves a majority of gamers are morons and wouldn't know what writing is if it smacked them in the face, I call it. Espically considering people who play videogames that complain about story like the below guy don't even know what a story actually is. It is about a tale of a meaning. something many many videogames do very well. Whether that be is to Survive like in Left 4 dead or Portal. (which does have a great story, only morons say differently to be quite honest.) or about war and technology like the MGS and Fallout series. both of which follow this meaning extremely well. to even things like objectivism like Bioshock. (saying it has a bad story is one of the dumbest things a person can say online, just being honest.)

"
See, there you go again with this. This topic isn't worthless. It's actually pretty good compared to the lackluster shit that you've produced. 
Espically considering people who play videogames that complain about story like the below guy don't even know what a story actually is. It is about a tale of a meaning.

You're a writer this and is all you can come up with? A story is much more than that and your poorly written response isn't even close to scratching the surface.

Also, what the fuck is Espically?
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#147  Edited By ApertureSilence
@stoodspoon: I second Modern Warfare 2. One of the most absurd, idiotic plots I've ever seen in a video game.

Killzone 3 was pretty bad, as well.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By AlexW00d
@Jay444111 said:

" @drbendo said:

"

The question raises a fine point that is often missed.There's a difference between a bad story and a poorly written story. For example, Bioshock's story is complete shit, but it's adequately written. On the other end of the spectrum, Jericho actually had an interesting story, but it was horribly written to the point of killing any promise.Very few games have good stories, but there are several that have adequate or better writing. Mass Effect is another example of a dull, derivative story that is well executed; the character's have distinct voices, and there's a natural flow to the dialog. The Thief games are underwritten, but what's there is great. The early Silent Hill games have great stories, but the executions were hit and miss (a lot of stilted dialog).I'd say that Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, Jericho, 50 Cent, and Naughty Bear included some of the worst writing of this generation.

"

Are you actually serious? No, really, are you actually serious? Saying Bioshocks+mass effects story are shit is basically saying that Air is not good because you need it, or that the sun sucks because it gives warmth. This is something I would expect someone from Gamefaqs to say, it is that unbelieveably foolish. Honestly, I am going to be serious, Just saying that invalidates your entire opinion on writing FOREVER. Have you actually read a book before? Or hell ANYTHING before? You are proof that some videogamers wouldn't know what a story is even if was stapled to their scalps! I am now going to dissect your entire post right now.

First two sentences start fine enough, but the third, by God the third is basically like bending down the greatest writers of the world today and basically telling them they suck while you take a crap on them. you have literally angered the writer inside me to the point of writing this very, very long post to be destroying your points altogether. fourth sentence now, Saying Jericho is INTERESTING while saying Bioshock is SHIT is like saying the greatest movie of all time is crap compared to Garbage Pail Kids. It is an insult to intelligent thought that I take personally in this matter.

"
Dude you seem like a huge idiot. Mass Effect 2 has a godawful story. Dude dies, dude is remade, dude finds team, dude kills big thing. That is basically the entire story. Whereas the character development and the way that the characters support one another is amazing, and that is where the strength of Mass Effect's writing is.
The dude wasn't saying the writing was bad, but the story. Because it was. 
It seem you are the one who doesn't know what a story is.

I've not played Bioshock, or Jericho, but from what I have read, the way the Bioshock story unfolds is what is so good about it, not the actual plot points.

Also for an alleged writer you don't have form sentences weirdly, you seem like a 14 year old kid or something.

Edit: Also, it is retcon not retcom you dingus. RETroactive CONtinuity.
Agent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Agent47
@OtakuGamer: Naw Homefront had a good cohensive story it just wasn't executed right.MW2 defintiley had one of the worse stories, so cliche and dumb, plot holes and just a weird change of pace from the awesomeness that was COD4.
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By AlexW00d
@Jay444111 said:
" @TehFlan said:
"

@Jay444111: I stopped reading when you said Halo was better than Star Wars, but from what I did read, you weren't so much making arguments as just insulting the dude.

"

I meant the entire series dude, do you wanna know why Halo is better than star wars. let us look at the prequals of star wars! the first one was basically one of the worst things I ever saw at a theator, I mean, wow, the only good thing was the jedi fight with darth maul. that is it. while it completely retcons everything from the classic 3 movies.

the second movie is a abomonation, I can literally cut off a couple of my fingers, wire them up to a mices brain and tell it to write a something, that something would be better then this movie, any part of it. I mean, my goodness. I literally wanted to puke in my mouth upon watching this.

3, the third star wars movie was the best of the prequals, although it still messed everything up by making vader wimpy and the princess dies from the lack of the will to live. (most idiotic thing ever.)

these three movies literally killed and murdered the classics by having the same name as them and being officially canon, I am sorry to say, but anything can beat them, but even then halo series does have a quality story one of which star wars wished to have.

Also, I wasn't insulting him, I was just baffled by the sheer WTF from that single post actually being taken seriously by another human being is all.

"
YOU ARE A WRITER. HOW THE FUCK IS YOUR GRAMMAR SO DAMN APPALLING?