• 142 results
#1 Edited by Hardgamer (610 posts) -

Hello, friends! I was at Best Buy today, looking around, when I came across a copy of the Xbox Live Devil May Cry Game. As far as I can tell, I'm bored. Well, seeing this reminded me of when I first bought Marvel vs Capcom 2 many years ago. What I own, stores no longer sell, unfortunately. And although this item isn't the most rare thing out there, it got me thinking about video game rarities and who still owns them.

I have the Xbox 360 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, as a teen game. Ergo, before it was recalled and re-rated mature. Later on, I got the mature GOTY; I still think it's pretty cool. I lost the "golden" Septim coin, but I still have the "Empire Pocket Guide," and it does wonders for me when I'm in the mood to wiki about The Elder Scrolls.

Anyway, yeah. That isn't rare in a jaw-dropping fashion, but perhaps someone here does have a truly rare commodity. I'm curious, GiantBomb. What is it?

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I have an unopened Atari 2600, but it's not at my house, it's at my aunts house.

#3 Posted by Valames (726 posts) -

I have a pretty good condition FF7. That's probably it.

#4 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

A  Legend Of Zelda Ocarina of Time cartridge.  That's as rare as it gets for me.

#5 Posted by Choffy (443 posts) -

I have a Game Boy Micro. And Super Mario Bros. All-Stars for the Wii. That's about it.

#6 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" I have an unopened Atari 2600, but it's not at my house, it's at my aunts house. "

Thats pretty damn awesome. I just have Ogre Battle 64 and Super Mario RPG cartridges. Nothing spectacular.    
#7 Posted by CozmoD (15 posts) -

Although, its probably not that rare... I convinced a GameStop employee to give me one of the promotional Lucha Libre masks that were recalled from the "Luche Libre AAA" game. However, it was a  La Parka mask. I also have the awesome and totally functional Mirror's Edge messenger bag that came with pre-orders of the game. Pre-order premiums need to be like that... functional items.

#8 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -
@Hardgamer: I also have the teen version.  Didnt know it was rare!
#9 Posted by Aska (424 posts) -

Rarest thing I have is probably my SNES copy of Earthbound.

#10 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

A copy of Suikoden II, I don't know how rare it really is, but it goes for a ton on eBay. 

#11 Edited by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

I have the Brett Farve Madden 09 display from Gamestop. It looks like an extra large DVD case with Brett in the Green Bay uniform. At that point he was retired and hadn't signed with the Jets. 
I also have a sealed Lunar hand puppet that a Babbages(or EB) employee gave me a long time ago. I've had that for about 10 years?. Not sure. I need a buyer for that...

and a copy on one of my fav Genesis games Mutant League Football
#12 Edited by cyraxible (687 posts) -

I have a Fallout 3 ViewMaster that I won at PAX during a Fallout 3 demo. It's pretty sweet, it is black plastic and has the Simtek 1000 brand on the front. I got Todd Howard and Emil Pagliarulo  to sign the case for it. 

The View Master + the SPECIAL card that won me it.
 Todd Howard on the top, Emil to the right.
#13 Posted by SMTDante89 (2564 posts) -

I'm not supposed to talk about it.

#14 Posted by lmenzol (271 posts) -

xenogears ps1 best rpg ever

#15 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

I hvae same as OP, but I also have Phoenix Wright. Which is apparently rare now. I've also got a version of Okami on Wii (that's rare enough, no one bought that) with the IGN watermark on the cover art.

#16 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1261 posts) -

The rarest things I have is probably Atlus games. I think the original Digital Devil Saga being the rarest.

#17 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

.....I still cant get over how long your bio is.

Im sorry 
#18 Posted by Eaxis (913 posts) -

I have the game Skull Caps. It's not even on GiantBomb. It was the sequel to Baldies.
#19 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -
@Jethuty said:
" .....I still cant get over how long your bio is.

Im sorry 
"
Let me tell you something. No one and mean No one can read all of my bio. You'll be dead when you read all that.
#20 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -
@Hardgamer said:
" @Jethuty said:
" .....I still cant get over how long your bio is.

Im sorry 
"
Let me tell you something. No one and mean No one can read all of my bio. You'll be dead when you read all that. "
i take that as a fucking challenge

.....by tomorrow i have to sleep now
#21 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1728 posts) -

I have some fairly rare PSX games. Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Mega Man Legends 1 and 2. I've seen MML2 in particular go for well over $200, which is insane.

On a related note, I was at my local used CD/Movie/Game shop two days ago and saw that they had a black label copy of the original Silent Hill, which are really hard to find these days, locked behind the counter. I had no idea how much they wanted for it, though. Probably not as much one would think.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

I have things that I think are rare but may not be.

I have a Colecovision with a bunch of games and additional controllers.
I have Lunar 2: Eternal Blue for the Sega CD (which is expensive now so I'm assuming it is rare).
I have nearly every 32X game released which one day might be rare.
I have Snatcher for the Sega CD.
I have a ton of Master System games and additions (like the 3D glasses!)
I have a ton of Sega CD games.
I have Skies of Arcadia: Legends for the Gamecube (which is also expensive so I'm assuming it is rare).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

#23 Posted by plop1920 (448 posts) -

I have an unopened game boy color system, don't even know if thats rare or not lol

#24 Posted by wannawin (5 posts) -

I've got a vectrex with about a dozen games and overlays

#25 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -
@Malakhii said:
" A copy of Suikoden II, I don't know how rare it really is, but it goes for a ton on eBay.  "
Same here. Managed to get a flawless copy for $5 a few years back.
#26 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -
@plop1920 said:
" I have an unopened game boy color system, don't even know if thats rare or not lol "
It's hard to tell.
#27 Posted by Patman99 (1579 posts) -

I have a couple originally sealed Atari 2600 games and I also have a complete and boxed Earthbound for the SNES. The cart itself goes for usually $100 on ebay and the complete boxed version can go well above $500..... And yes, I will be hanging on to my copy.

#28 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

A real copy of Parasite Eve and Metal Gear Solid...

#29 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -
@Hardgamer: 

What do you mean Devil May cry xbox live edition? That does not exist.    
#30 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

A PS3 with official otherOS support (still on the 3.15 firmware).

Not many things are rare with eBay around

#31 Edited by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I don't have much rare stuff really. Suppose the only thing I have that's "rare" are the PR copies of Bionic Commando and Wanted Weapons of Fate that I was given when I worked at GRIN.

Aside from that, I have a working Game Boy (though three lines of pixels are dead) and a bunch of games to that.

Oh and my edition of Goldeneye 64 came with an excel chart like paper, mapping out all of the objectives for the different difficulties. Apparently something not all copies had.

Then there's of course the copy of Grand Theft Auto for the PC, pre dvd-case days. That's nostalgia for you.

Then there's this thing, not exactly a game but it's very much a part of MY World of Warcraft:

Indeed, sirs. He's guarded by my Jurassic Park t-rex.
#32 Posted by Tophat666 (229 posts) -

Hmm...
i have a original Game Boy that still works(just no battery back or games for it but it works)
Goldeneye, Super Mario 64 cartridges
every SMT game for the PS2 that came out in America(Devil Summoners 1 & 2, Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2, Nocturne, Persona 3 Fes & 4) (minus P3 Original)
Both the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time/Master Quest, & Collectors Edition.
Sealed Gamecube copies of Resident Evil 2 & 3
Both Zone of the Enders games
A PS2 copy of Marvel Vs Capcom 2
I have a Hyrule Shield & Master Sword Replicas, as well as the Lancer from Gears of War  

#33 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1763 posts) -

I have a handful of original run PSOne games that tend to go for pretty high prices these days. Most notably  Valkyrie Profile, Symphony of the Night, Silent Hill, Chrono Cross, and both Parasite Eves. I own a lot more PSOne games, but those are the only ones that I know of that constitute "rare."

Oh yeah! And both Lunars on the PSOne. Basically new complete with their boxes and shit. Never even played them. 
#34 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

I've got a SNES! That's about it. v.v *fails*

#35 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

Although they aren't "video" game related.... I have a almost mint condition HeroQuest game and a MINT condition 1st printing BloodBowl board game

#36 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I have ICO lol
#37 Posted by Kirbichu54 (120 posts) -

I have a copy of SimTower.

#38 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I own quite a few SNES games that are worth quite a lot of money but aren't exactly very rare....when it comes to rarity the rarest game I own is probably the pirated Famicom version of Disney's Aladdin.

#39 Posted by DallasTheGamer (154 posts) -

Hmm.. I don't really have that much rare stuff I think. I have a PAL version of Ar tonelico 1 though.

#40 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

I have an assassin's creed 2 Wrist Dagger, I think 1 of 500 or something like that.
A splinter cell poster 1/75.
A copy of FF3 (FF6) for snes, the box in horrible condition hehe.

#41 Posted by LimpingFish (80 posts) -

Man, I feel really old. A working Vectrex would be rare to me, not games that first came out in my teens!

I've got sealed copies of Snatcher and Policenauts on Playstation and Saturn. A sealed copy of Enemy Zero. Every Final Fantasy Playstation game released in the West. But this is stuff I pretty much bought when they were released, like MGS and MGS:VR on Playstation. They don't really seem that special to me, since I can still remember them being on store shelves.

The copy of Wild Gunman I picked up in a charity shop once, might qualify as rare, I suppose.

#42 Posted by Hardgamer (610 posts) -
@LimpingFish said:
" Man, I feel really old. A working Vectrex would be rare to me, not games that first came out in my teens!

I've got sealed copies of Snatcher and Policenauts on Playstation and Saturn. A sealed copy of Enemy Zero. Every Final Fantasy Playstation game released in the West. But this is stuff I pretty much bought when they were released, like MGS and MGS:VR on Playstation. They don't really seem that special to me, since I can still remember them being on store shelves.

The copy of Wild Gunman I picked up in a charity shop once, might qualify as rare, I suppose. "
Wild Gunman? I used to have that game.
#43 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -

Here's a couple pics of the AC2 dagger.
#44 Posted by Dagbiker (6972 posts) -

I have a Mass Effect Box set, a Saints row 2 Box set ( it was the same price as the video game alone ) i have the  Record of Agarest War Box set which came with a love pillow and a 3d mouse pad that has boobs. i also have a cloth map from icewind dale and a plush cow that came with my preorder of harvest moon... something something.

#45 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

A beta copy of GTA V. 

;)

#46 Posted by WizardShazam (135 posts) -

I have numerous hard to find games from NES on up. I don't know how rare it is but my favorite game related item is still my Ghaleon punching puppet I got for pre-ordering Lunar: SSSC.

#47 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Symphony of the Night, mint with art book, music cd.  It will see Ebay whenever I remember to do it.  I should have done it ages ago because I had some shows on VHS that were worth a bomb, then they finally got a DVD release and BOOM, worthless.

Probably have a load of stuff that I don't even know has turned collectable.  I'd sell that, too.

#48 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Limited edition lithograph of a Pride Demon from Dragon Age: Origins, they only printed something like 250-350 of them, framed and hanging on my wall, and a mint condition old big box edition of Baldur's Gate II. You can see the top of the game in the below picture. 

#49 Posted by StealthRaptor (527 posts) -

It'd probably my sweet Steel Battalion controller. Man I wish I could plug that thing into my 360.

#50 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -