What is the most tedious, boring game you have played?

• 195 results
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 75

#151  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@lkpower said:

I think Elite Dangerous is for me what DOTA is for Brad!

Yeah, to me, Elite: Dangerous felt specifically like how people who liked Destiny described their experience with it. It is thin on content, but Elite feels great to play.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

• GTA 4
  • Animal Crossing DS
  • Matt Hazard Eat Lead (or whatever it is called)
  • Final Fantasy X-2 (combat system was not bad actually)

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@onlykris: But why? I'm interested to understand where this loyalty stems from. What makes you consciously waste a significant amount of your spare time on something you allegedly don't like? I have no issues quitting a game once I realize it isn't fun (anymore) and there is no sign of improvement anytime soon, no matter what the franchise is or where I am in the game.

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@fisk0: Exactly! The mechanics and systems behind Elite are so well done and tight but there is virtually zero prompting as to what the player should do and not a ton of variation. You end up repeating the same dozen or so tasks quite a bit. It does become more interesting as you form wings though. If you wing up with people that you can trust and set goals there is a lot of fun to be had.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

First I wanted to say the original Assassin's Creed, but when I think about it AC3 might actually top it in the tedium department. The first game at least felt kinda fresh and interesting despite being repetitive as all hell. AC3, on the other hand, felt stale, uninspired and bloated as all hell. Didn't help that Connor is so bland, humorless and unlikeable that even Altaïr seemed appealing in comparison.

Diablo 2 is boring and tedious to me as well. I absolutely love the first Diablo and wish I could get into 2. Everything about it feels so dull. Once every few years I reinstall it to see if it clicks, but I have never made it past the first act. I think I might actually have fallen asleep trying to play it once.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

Tears to Tiara II. You do a lot of reading. Eventually, a fight breaks out. Then its back to more reading.

I'll second this. This game felt like work after a while. Needless to say I never finished it.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

• Dragon Age Inquisition
  • Zelda: Wind Waker (Triforce shards)
  • Every Assassin's Creed game ever
  • Final Fantasy Tactics on PS1.

There are many other examples, the big one being RPG's and the level grinding needed to beat them. Sometimes it drives me crazy.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Recently, Wasteland 2/ Legends of Grimrock/Destiny.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenosaga is the clear answer to me. I own all three games. I have never made it past the first. I want to like you Xenosaga but you just won't let me. First of all if any game deserves the I might as well be be watching a movie criticism its Xenosaga. There is a 20-30 min cutscene for every 15 mins of gameplay.

On the boredom front, all of the combat animations are super long and might as well be FF7 summon animation. My last attempt to get through the game was on an emulator even at like 5x speed the battle last longer than your average jrpg battle. On top of that the game also encourages you to make battles longer by giving you a multiplier of experience points for killing enemies only on certain turns making the fights even longer.

For tedium, remember those experience points well in this game you earn three separate experience currencies which each have at least separate two functions with many options on what to use them on. The game is extremely poor at explaining itself or giving you any indication on what would be the most effective use of your points. You can spend them wrong and make the game impossibly hard. The points trickle in even with up to a 10x multiplier that no amount a grinding will help you course correct.

Xenosaga I is the very definition of tedium and boredom.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Call me crazy, but Dishonored never really clicked with me. I like stealth games, but for some reason the encounters in that game seem drab and and slow, even for a stealth game. I also did not care about the story at all.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#161 fisk0  Moderator

@svenzon said:

Diablo 2 is boring and tedious to me as well. I absolutely love the first Diablo and wish I could get into 2. Everything about it feels so dull. Once every few years I reinstall it to see if it clicks, but I have never made it past the first act. I think I might actually have fallen asleep trying to play it once.

Oh, I'm happy to see someone else saying that, I felt exactly the same, and most people seem to think I'm crazy for that, and regard Diablo 2 not just as the best in the series, but one of the greatest games of all time. I think all the additions they made to it just helps make it feel spread much thinner than the original Diablo.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:
@svenzon said:

Oh, I'm happy to see someone else saying that, I felt exactly the same, and most people seem to think I'm crazy for that, and regard Diablo 2 not just as the best in the series, but one of the greatest games of all time. I think all the additions they made to it just helps make it feel spread much thinner than the original Diablo.

You guys are crazy, but that's OK. Everyone has some crazy in 'em somewhere. :P

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:
@shindig said:

Tears to Tiara II. You do a lot of reading. Eventually, a fight breaks out. Then its back to more reading.

I'll second this. This game felt like work after a while. Needless to say I never finished it.

I kinda wanted to just because of this game's... erm ... 'adult' reputation. I wanted to see the inevitable sex scene between a Spanish Prince and GOD. But then that would require a whole lot of turn-based conversations.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Final Fantasy 12.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Assassin's Creed (the first one) when after the 2nd or 3rd assisaination you realise the entire game was going to be a rinse and repeat of find clues to next target find and kill target repeated about 9 times.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alice Madness Returns is one of the few games I quit playing due to how tedious it became for me.
Gorgeous level designs, but every single enemy encounter just draaaaaaaaaaaaged ooooooooooon, for me it was unbearable.

Arjailer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Arjailer

I finally gave up on Dragon Age: Inquisition at the weekend. I keep putting off playing it and on Sunday I finally admitted to myself that I just didn't like it and moved onto Sunset Overdrive (which I'm enjoying so far).

I'm particularly bummed by this 'cos I absolutely loved the first Dragon Age, but found DA2 and now Inquisition too boring to finish :-(

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
doctor_wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny was fun up to lvl 20. Then it went to shit.

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine is Dragon Age Inquisition

You sir, lack imagination.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#170  Edited By avantegardener

Death Spank.. I have the full 800pts in it, I hate myself.

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Before even opening the thread I knew my answer was going to be Dragon Age: Inquisition. So yeah, couldn't agree more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bsw: I'm not sure how it is for everyone else, but for me it sometimes takes awhile for games to "click" in my head. So I tend to be very patient before passing judgement.

An example would be the first Mass Effect game. I didn't really enjoy the first two or three hours, but I kept playing anyway, and after I spent some more time with it (about 6 hours) I realized I was actually having a lot of fun.

Skyrim is another example. I almost wrote the game off entirely until I found a handful of pretty places while exploring. After that it was easy to keep playing.

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onlykris: I fully agree with you, and I definitely will give a game a chance if it doesn't click immediately. But if it then doesn't improve, I'll stop playing. And hence my question: why do so many people apparently still play so many hours of games they don't enjoy? In some cases apparently to completion, which could mean dozens of hours depending on the game.

Sam_lfcfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Assassin's Creed 3. The first few hours feel like an overblown tutorial, the gameplay had become stale, and the main character was incredibly dull. Such a shame as I loved AC2 and Brotherhood.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Any Gears of War game. The characters are too one dimensional for my liking.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

A transformers game for 360, but not one of the recent ones. Might have been a film game? I tried to get all the achievements. Damn energon cubes. It glitched and I wasted so many hours.

deadshot_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

I kid you not.

Trigno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World of Warcraft has got to be it for me. Looking back on how much money I've spent and how many hours I've sat in front of my computer for, it seems so ridiculous. Yet, I always feel drawn to relapsing whenever the newest expansion comes out.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Dear Esther

- Borderlands 2

- Dragon Age: Origins

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beyond: Two Souls.

David Cage cannot write his way out of a paper bag. The skid row and Somalia parts of this "game" is the most mind numbing crap I've slogged through in a while.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#181  Edited By Captain_Insano

Two Ubi games (almost 3 of them really): Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Assassin's Creed 3 and Watch Dogs

I love the Assassin's Creed series (though I haven't played Unity - I will get to it now that it's cheap and when I've crossed other more pressing games off of my list). I didn't dislike any of these games significantly - they played okay, but I just felt that with all of them I was going through the motions. Ezio's story no longer interested me (and Ezio was my homie from the prior games), Assassin's Creed 3 I actually didn't mind the Hatham (was that his name?) intro and Connor as a character, but the rest of the world felt so flat - the only interesting character was Ben Franklin - the rest of the historical characters played bit parts and didn't convey any personality. Watch Dogs was Watch Dogs - the lack of interesting plot, characters (other than the Asian guy - sorry I forget his name - and they fucked that up at the end of the story) and the drab missions and world meant that I was just playing for the sake of playing.

I'll add on The Stanley Parable - the humour in it really did not click with me at all (and I generally like satire). JazzPunk was a similar thing - those meta games don't really do it for me I've since realised.

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Majora's Mask. They put like 10 walls in front of each dungeon, and most of the walls involve ping-ponging through the same three days. The best analogy I can make is "playing with iPhone clock for more F2P energy - the game".

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I find topics like these a bit strange because all they really do is bait negativity from people. I love thinking about what does or doesn't work about a game but singling out "tedious and boring" is pretty vague and basically functions as "talk about the games you don't like."

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@sqrabbit said:

Majora's Mask. They put like 10 walls in front of each dungeon, and most of the walls involve ping-ponging through the same three days. The best analogy I can make is "playing with iPhone clock for more F2P energy - the game".

I kind of felt the same way before replaying the 3DS version. I felt like I banged out that stuff prior to dungeons faster than the first time I played. Not that this aspect changed, it just didn't feel as tedious for me the 2nd time for whatever reason.

My answer is Uncharted 3. I enjoyed the overall experience, but by that entry, I was seriously over the gunplay and constant break in plot to shoot a ton of enemies. Unfortunately that translated over to Last of Us as well.

ToastyCrumbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Brothers: Sword and Sworcery. I almost feel bad for saying it, because I really liked a lot of the ideas that the game brought up (your character getting weaker as the game progresses, the narrator). Those ideas may not have been perfectly executed, but at least it felt like they were trying something new. But God, the gameplay was the definition of tedious. bad puzzle design that amounted to clicking until you found the correct thing, then clicking all of those things in a random order. Boss battles that lasted forever and that were recycled a number of times. Traversing the same four screens over and over. It just makes me a little upset that the designers tried new things in almost all facets of the game (their success in which is debatable), but forgot to make the gameplay mechanics engaging.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I tried playing a train simulator on the 3DS. I don't recommend doing that unless you REALLY REALLY like trains.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lately Axiom Verge. That game just isnt grabbing me.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Deadly premonition, it's also one of the most interesting games I've ever played but oh the driving! The game crashing! The lack of fast travel! OH!

And the crappy map.

carpe_dmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shenmue. Good god did I adore that game when I played it back in the day. It was a glorious representation of the Digital simulacrum to come out of the Video Gaming. I had cats to pet, a mom to yell at me, my collection of little capsule figurines, a name to look up in the phone book. Busses to miss. Shoes to take off. Forklifts to drive. And then suddenly, PEOPLE TO FIGHT, Oh yeah, a Father's death to avenge, how did I forget about that? My god I loved that game.

Having gone back and tried to play through it last year, (I never did beat it as a child) That Game Is Fucking Monotonous In The Worst Conceivable Way.

Maybe it's just me, you know? maybe I've somehow lost patience since I was a young boy. I'm pretty excited for the new one. but good-gat-damn the first one doesn't hold up.

baracudadk2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resident Evil 6

chidona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By chidona

The last 10% of bloodborne (doing a normal run through, not including chalice dungeons). Really enjoyed that game until near the end when the PvP area starts, and then just got terribly bored by the repetitive cycle of dying a bunch, having to go farm for potions and bullets and on and on. Ended up getting to the last normal boss (or the second to last normal boss if going for the secret ending), dying a lot and deciding it wasn't worth my time doing the farming runs to give me a few brief minutes of trying again before needing to do some more farming. Can see why people love that sort of game, but I think that it's definitely not for me!

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to throw Watch Dogs in here also. That game was just terrible. Every story beat in that game felt unearned and the majority of the missions in the game were just poorly designed. The car handling made travelling a maddening experience and the final mission in the game has an effect laid over it that gave me a migraine.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#194  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I was thinking this over because I actually wanted to think of a game that's boring a tedious (vs just bad like most people in here are posting) and thought of this game: Boiling Point: Road to Hell. I don't know if anyone played it. I wanted to love it but fuck is it lame. Basically super, super janky Far Cry meets Deus Ex. You had to put gas in your car and it took forever to get anywhere. I think you had to eat and sleep as well and all the guns would break and jam.

It was a super broken game. Also, turns out everything was boring even if none of that was in the way, but all that shit was in the way all the time.

ultron100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By ultron100

Final Fantasy 8 - The junction system.

But somehow I liked Assassins Creed 3? Go figure.

orborborb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By orborborb

I loved Thief, Resident Evil 5, Mirror's Edge, Rage, Final Fantasy VIII & XIII, Animal Crossing, Majora's Mask, GTA IV, Uncharted 3, Destiny, Myst, Link to the Past, and Dear Esther and if you find them boring something is wrong with you.

I can understand the rest of the responses.

My choice is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are many, many games that I just have no patience for and couldn't be more disinterested in. The one I foolishly keep hoping might redeem itself in some way if WoW but it never does. Particularly the scale of the game really gets in the way of my enjoyment, and it's one thing that I feel happens in basically every MMO (except FFXIV I felt somehow got that balance right). The places are just too big, there's no reason for anything to be so large and empty. It's not just MMOs that have this issue, but you think they would be the one to solve it. Sure there is large swaths of Skyrim that just don't really have anything interesting in them, no people moving around the world, etc. But it's a single player experience. Shouldn't an MMO have more going on in it? Also it literally takes me half an hour to travel somewhere sometimes. That's absurd. And you have a hearthstone, but then you need to get back to where you were before anyway so it doesn't even matter. I feel like I'm just wasting so much time all the time.

Then there are just games that I'll get on like PS Plus or on a sale somewhere, play like an hour, and say "nah".