• 91 results
#51 Posted by BeachThunder (11943 posts) -
#52 Posted by Freshbandito (686 posts) -

Bah, can't find a video of that kevin bishop "radiohead cheer up and sing happy songs" video that hasn't been pulled by channel 4.

The Radiohead of videogames...There's doubtless some japanese series of videogames that dwells in melancholy and everyone raves about whilst I don't understand the fuss.

Better question: What are the Blur vs. Oasis of videogames?

#53 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

I don't think there's any one game that I would say I hold so far above everything else I wouldn't even compare it to other games. No game is perfect and whatever game you're thinking about chances are there will be something in that game that another game has done better. If you put a gun to my head and forced me to choose a favourite game I'd reluctantly choose Portal 2, but it's such a tough call to make when there are so many fantastic games out there that give you very different experiences. Also, I think Radiohead are okay, nothing amazing, but if you like them that much, that's cool.

#54 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

@FunkasaurasRex said:

@ThePickle said:

Anyways, I'll pretend this question asked what the David Bowie of video games is and say Fallout 3.

Wait, what?

Well, to me, David Bowie can't compare to anything else. I am to David Bowie as OP is to Radiohead.

#55 Posted by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

@FunkasaurasRex said:

@ThePickle said:

Anyways, I'll pretend this question asked what the David Bowie of video games is and say Fallout 3.

Wait, what?

Well, to me, David Bowie can't compare to anything else. I am to David Bowie as OP is to Radiohead.

Oh alright, I couldn't for the life of me figure out what Fallout 3 and Bowie had in common, but now I see what you're getting at.

#56 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

To answer the actual question, I have a handful of games I put in a league of their own. Persona 4, Super Meat Boy, MGS3, Pokemon Blue, those are the standouts in my head right now.

To answer the question in the topic (read: a pretty good band, but ultimately talked about so much that I have little interest beyond their hit record), that series is either Baldur's Gate or Megaman. Conversations with massive fans of those two series are completely intolerable.

#57 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

Double Fine. Tim Schafer hooked me with Grim Fanfango and I haven't looked back since. No other dev like them either.

#58 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

the bland stadium rock of games is __________

probably cod

#59 Posted by Hunter5024 (5686 posts) -

What is the Radiohead of video games? Hmm... Probably like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, because I didn't play much of that game, and wasn't really interested in what I did play, but there were some people who seemed to really like it, so that's cool.

#60 Posted by Ducksworth (660 posts) -

Expected people to not bother with the question and twist it to match their opinion of radiohead. Was not disappointed.

To answer the question, probably Mario Galaxy.

#61 Posted by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

for me it'd be Starcraft 2, it's that annoyingly uber-popular game that everyone seems to love and talk about all the time, and every single time I try to get into it, I get insanely angry because it's just not for me precisely like Radiohead (except in radiohead's case, I really would love if that band and all it's fans committed suicide (politely)).

#62 Posted by Warchief (657 posts) -

[PS2] Ratchet and Clank series.

#63 Edited by Heartagram (1182 posts) -

Lol Radiohead? Probably Call of Duty.

Everyone likes it but I just don't get why. Also it's overrated.

#64 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -

I can't think of a video game I hate that much.

#65 Posted by RenMcKormack (1074 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

What's an overrated English game?

#66 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -

@Heartagram said:

Lol Radiohead? Probably Call of Duty.

Everyone likes it but I just don't get why. Also It's Overrated.

There are people who are into both Alice Cooper and HIM? How do those two get along in your head...?

#67 Edited by avantegardener (1126 posts) -

Hmmm, we're talking oppressive and depressing and also exhilarating, although I never played it (giant wimp), I watched my flat mate play the original Dead Space and the sequel many times, that game is all introspective dread, tightly designed and stylishly produced.

#68 Posted by Donkeycow (556 posts) -

I think you've all been had.

#69 Posted by Ben_H (3361 posts) -
#70 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1190 posts) -

@Aegon said:

So you assume Radiohead is the pinnacle of music for everyone on the planet?

It shouldn't even be the pinnacle of music for himself...

#71 Posted by Heartagram (1182 posts) -

@TooWalrus: I'm Into a ton of things you probably wouldn't expect. They actually aren't all that dissimilar if you look at albums like From the Inside and Welcome to My Nightmare. Both have metal guitar with a softer vocal, but honestly I know I'm never going to convince anyone that doesn't like HIM already to enjoy their music haha.

#72 Posted by Soulreaverm (62 posts) -

@avantegardener said:

Hmmm, we're talking oppressive and depressing and also exhilarating, although I never played it (giant wimp), I watched my flat mate play the original Dead Space and the sequel many times, that game is all introspective dread, tightly designed and stylishly produced.

I really like where you went with that answer.

Although I don't like Dead Space nearly as much as I like Radiohead HMMM

(I like radiohead A LOT there are no games that particularly stand out to me in the same way. Although I actually think that a studio would be a more fitting answer to this question in which case... Valve?)

#73 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -

I used to think of Radiohead exactly the same way, but then I heard Animal Collective. Radiohead are still fucking awesome though.

#74 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

@Breadfan said:

@MiniPato said:

What is the Citizen Kane of music?

Insane Clown Posse, duh.

Nah.

ICP are way more entertaining than either Citizen Kane or Radiohead.

#75 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

Humble Indie Bundle, since Radiohead had that one album where you paid what you want (maybe others subsequently, I dunno).

#76 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Hmm, a franchise that used to be good but then turned to shit really quickly. 
Settlers, I guess. 

#77 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Are you implying that Radiohead is the greatest band ever? Because I would be forced to respectfully disagree if you are.

They are the best band to ever band the earth's musical prestige palace, and if you disagree with your opinions, I will throw back a fact that your opinion is wrong.

#78 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

GTA, probably.

#79 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

I have very nearly gotten into physical fights about Silent Hill 2 and how absolutely fucking amazing it is.

#80 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -

Radiohead? Hmm. Poor choice of context there. Why not something big and legendary like "The Beatles of video games" or "The Dark Side of The Moon in Games;" something more universal where everybody can relate to? I'm not saying Radiohead is a bad band but not everyone is familiar with them, including me.

Anyway, back to your question. The [Beatles?] of video games for me would be Grim Fandango. It was the first game I ever played that had everything right. The story, the pacing, the characters, the controls. I love Grim Fandango very much.

#81 Posted by SharkEthic (1049 posts) -

Radiohead..? I don't know...maybe Fez, which is also mostly boring and pretentious.

#82 Posted by mbr2 (566 posts) -

So what you're saying is, Radiohead is the Citizen Kane of music?

#83 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@nintendork666

@Breadfan said:

@MiniPato said:

Insane Clown Posse, duh.

Nah.

This statement makes me wish I could kill opinions. Specifically the opinion that ICP is anything but utter, ceaseless trash.
#84 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@nintendork666

@Breadfan said:

@MiniPato said:

Insane Clown Posse, duh.

Nah.

This statement makes me wish I could kill opinions. Specifically the opinion that ICP is anything but utter, ceaseless trash.

You need to get down with the clown, brother.

#85 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Radiohead are overrated and haven't released a really solid album in a while, so I would go with the Zelda games.

#86 Posted by CheapPoison (731 posts) -

I absolutely love the reactions in this thread.

High five giant bomb community!

#87 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -
#88 Posted by Superfriend (1555 posts) -

@Psykhophear said:

Anyway, back to your question. The [Beatles?] of video games for me would be Grim Fandango. It was the first game I ever played that had everything right. The story, the pacing, the characters, the controls. I love Grim Fandango very much.

So I guess direct controls for Grim Fandango were like Yoko Ono for the Beatles?! In that it fucking ruined everything?

Nah, just kidding. Great thread though! And I´d probably say Braid is like OK Computer.

#89 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (115 posts) -

Final Fantasy 7 Mostly ok, but sometimes overrated.

#90 Posted by KevinK (198 posts) -

I like one Radiohead song (Creep). So, I guess the Radiohead of gaming would be a game where I liked one level.

#91 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

Bomberman: Act Zero

Be nice.

That is being nice, its not like he said Big Rigs.