#1 Posted by djou (877 posts) -

This is a post that follows an interesting GAF post I was reading. (link)

I wasn't so much wondering what others would rank as the single most hardcore feat (although those would be welcome) but I just want to take a moment to offer some props to the crazy fucks that were able to do these things and the unimaginable amount of time it took them to master it. I hadn't seen these until last night and my jaw dropped. IMO any gamer should take a few minutes and watch them.

Impossible Boy in Super Meat Boy is equ to adally amazing though I'd already seen it. Feel freed any I may have missed since I fell into a link hole watching them.

• Tetris Grand Master 3, aka playing invisible Tetris

• Single player playing both players in Ikaruga, one on each hand.
  • MON completing both loops of Dodonpachi Daioujou Death Label

• ZAP's 7 billion score in Mushihimesama Futari God Mode

#2 Posted by TekZero (2674 posts) -

Kill screen in Pac Man? How many people were able to actually play the game that far?

#3 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1660 posts) -

I would say it could be... being the guy? I Wanna Be The Guy style

@TekZero: I believe there was the one guy who got the perfect game... He got an award for it. I forget which documentary that was on, but this guy totally did it! EDIT: after a quick google job, the perfect game went to Billy Mitchell.

#4 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Perfecting Super Meat Boy? There's one.

#5 Posted by TekZero (2674 posts) -

Wait, beating Billy Mitchell's high scores is IMO the most hardcore gaming feat.

Beat it and you can make a movie about it.

#6 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1188 posts) -

Understanding Dwarf Fortress

#7 Edited by VisariLoyalist (2995 posts) -

does playing EVE online count?

#8 Posted by Salarn (465 posts) -
#9 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (414 posts) -

All that high level bullet-hell stuff makes my brain hurt.

Hyper Hexagonest in Super Hexagon is pretty mind bending.

Even Jeff causually mentioning that he'd beat original Hexagon was impressive to me, I can't even make it more than 30s in that game. I'm sure there are some equally impressive runs in games like Dustforce and SMB.

Fucking DMC4. That last boss on Devil Hunter (Normal), holy fu... Spent like 3 hours non-stop on that guy. I refuse to believe anyone would play Dante Must Die in DMC4 for fun. The Hell and Hell difficulty mode they added on the PC version of DMC4 was one of the most insane things I'd ever heard of considering how freakishly difficult it is and that you die in one hit.

#10 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

The Marathon achievement in Trials HD before the patch was released to make it easier. It was 24 tracks, no faults.

The original track list before the patch is as follows:

1. Easy Wheeling (Easy)

2. The Big Ride (Beginner)

3. Logsplosive (Easy)

4. Trippin' The Plywood (Medium)

5. Container Rush (Medium)

6. Mother Of All Jumps (Easy)

7. Rock n' Drop (Medium)

8. Technique (Hard)

9. Hello World (Beginner)

10. The Breakdown (Beginner)

11. Upwardly Mobile (Easy)

12. Basic Bumps (Beginner)

13. Dreamscapes (Medium)

14. Stock Market (Medium)

15. Tired Hill (Medium)

16. Under Ground (Medium)

17. Concrete Dreams (Hard)

18. Classic (Hard)

19. The Rise And Fall (Hard)

20. Building Blocks (Easy)

21. Smooth Jumps (Easy)

22. Trials And Tribulations (Hard)

23. King Of The Hill (Hard)

24. Jolly Jumper (Medium)

#11 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4850 posts) -

Getting all 120 stars in Mario 64.

With your feet.

#12 Posted by colorbrandon (168 posts) -

Vertex Beta on a pad (ITG).

#13 Posted by Ares42 (2727 posts) -

Maxing the possible amount of gamerpoints ?

#14 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@TekZero

Wait, beating Billy Mitchell's high scores is IMO the most hardcore gaming feat.

Beat it and you can make a movie about it.

Everyone should try too, because that guy is a complete prick.
#15 Edited by ShaggE (6550 posts) -

Rock Band 2. Bladder of Steel achievement on Expert. The sheer idea of it breaks my brain.

Edit: Probably doesn't deserve "most hardcore", though, thinking about it. Too many ways to cheese it.

#16 Posted by Swoxx (3003 posts) -

Permanent death.

#17 Edited by RenegadeDoppelganger (414 posts) -

@VisariLoyalist said:

Yeah I think EVE must take it.

In game ponzi schemes which resulted in ~1 trillion ISK or about $51,000

GHSC's multi-year infiltration and assasination scheme which resulted in the death of GHSC's leader, the eventual fall of a huge corp, $16,000 (real world eqv) of stolen assets and the destruction of one of the largest ships in the game

Also more the recent stuff with SA/Goons and probably a hundred more I'm sure someone else more familiar with EVE could bring up.

#18 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Getting 3 stars on every Angry Birds level.

#19 Edited by VisariLoyalist (2995 posts) -

@RenegadeDoppelganger said:

@VisariLoyalist said:

In game ponzi schemes which result in 3 billion ISK or about $51,000

GHSC's multi-year infiltration and assasination scheme which resulted in the death of GHSC's leader, the eventual fall of a huge corp, $16,000 (real world eqv) of stolen assets and the destruction of one of the largest ships in the game

Also more the recent stuff with SA/Goons and probably a hundred more I'm sure someone else more familiar with EVE could bring up.

yeah well I never pulled off any of those schemes though. I was just commenting on the generally insane learning curve that makes playing it at all a feat. Also 3 billion isk is nothing, that story actually says 1 trillion isk! Note though there are a fair number of players that are trillionaires. Being a billionaire in isk terms is about average for the general population of eve especially if you take the value of people's ships into account.

#20 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

I know a guy who could play through the whole of Ocarina of Time without dying, with three hearts, the whole way through.

#21 Posted by TekZero (2674 posts) -

@VisariLoyalist said:

@VisariLoyalist said:

yeah well I never pulled off any of those schemes though. I was just commenting on the generally insane learning curve that makes playing it at all a feat. Also 3 billion isk is nothing, that story actually says 1 trillion isk! Note though there are a fair number of players that are trillionaires. Being a billionaire in isk terms is about average for the general population of eve especially if you take the value of people's ships into account.

Man, I really feel like I've missed out on something special by never playing Eve Online.

#22 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

The most hardcore feat is playing nonstop until you die. Most people just don't have that kind of dedication.

#23 Posted by djou (877 posts) -

@RenegadeDoppelgange That Hexagon link is pretty insane. I've seen a few mind bending runs of that game. I agree with you that the bullet hell games hurt my brain. Part of my judgement of what is hardcore is the physical dexterity required to play. I'm impressed by people who can play Eve and Starcraft and master the complex systems in those games, but there is something inhuman about watching a gamer with such crazy reflexes that they play DD Death Label on one life.

When I saw these videos I wondered how someone could even learn something like that. I imagine there's some type of emulation software involved where they can slow down the game to study the patterns, even with this in mind its amazing to see a player weave a spirit through an insane field of projectiles. Its the type of old school "holy shit" arcade feat that has an unmatched purity in my mind.

#24 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

Winning a GSL championship would make you pretty hardcore

#25 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

This is still one of the most mind-boggling things ever. After knowing what tournament jitters are like, everything about this becomes exponentially more insane.

#26 Posted by Inkerman (1452 posts) -

There was that insane Mario Bros mod that was fucking impossible to complete.

#27 Posted by Aronleon (792 posts) -

Never getting mad during online games count?

#28 Edited by mikeeegeee (1574 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime: That is still the coolest video game video I've ever seen. Fuck, I still get goosebumps.

Edit: And I've never really played Streetfighter.

#29 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

managing to post a sneering comment in any COD/MW thread on the internet

#30 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2995 posts) -

@TekZero said:

@VisariLoyalist said:

@VisariLoyalist said:

Man, I really feel like I've missed out on something special by never playing Eve Online.

The day to day gameplay is rather boring. However what makes the game special is the real consequences to your actions that make the pvp mean something a lot more than just a leaderboard or something. The game is sort of like a simulation in that respect the economics are supposed to be consistent in that you can't get a hold of a sweet ship without the minerals being mined by someone and someone using production time to make it. That's really where the value of your ship comes into play is the actual hours people have to spend to produce the things you fly around with.

My point is just, it's all about creating a sandbox where you can have real beef with someone or make a grip that feels significant cause you know how many hours some other pilots would work just to get a hold of it. Randomly ganking somebody can have real consequences for your future as a pilot and likewise you do have to be careful who you offend and who you can trust. In that way EVE is a lot more real than any other mmo but it's also batshit insane to come into it from the outside and veterans are going to be miles ahead of a new player for literally years. It's just about as unfair as the real job market with less rules about scamming or theft. xD

#31 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1055 posts) -

@djou:One shoting the speeder bike level in Battle Toads on NES without using the warp on the last leg.

#32 Posted by Sinusoidal (1653 posts) -

@SirOptimusPrime: It's kind of lost its impact now that I've seen it more times than I can remember. It doesn't help that Wong whiffs the super a bunch of times giving Daigo a year (in fighting game time) to get ready. But yeah, after raging like that for a while, and it being during the tournament with all those people watching, it's still impressive that he manages to pull it off.

#33 Posted by ominousbedroom (238 posts) -

Being inspired by a game/character so much that you live it IRL? Granted there are limitations. Yoshi is awesome but really, you can just try eating more fruit on a daily basis. Like, I wonder if anyone has played Metal Gear and tried pursuing a life in special ops, or thought Layton's curiosity for history and puzzles was so inspiring that they pursued academia.  

This is off-topic but I've always wondered :U

#34 Posted by zombie2011 (4982 posts) -

Any Halo, solo legendary run with all skulls on. Pretty sure it would be impossible to do this.

#35 Posted by mwjeffcott (40 posts) -

This. From Guitar Hero 3.

#36 Edited by living4theday258 (679 posts) -

@jhardcopy said:

This. From Guitar Hero 3.

only 15 gamer score?. its possible too. somehow......

#37 Edited by Kadayi (185 posts) -

Dark souls speed run = bad ass.

#38 Posted by mwjeffcott (40 posts) -

@living4theday258: I'm not at all trying to suggest I got 100% on that. I did manage to hit 89% however.

#39 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -
#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

I would say it could be... being the guy? I Wanna Be The Guy style

I'd go with this, and not just because I somehow managed to beat it. That game is balls hard and absolutely unforgiving.

#41 Posted by pweidman (2342 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

Any Halo, solo legendary run with all skulls on. Pretty sure it would be impossible to do this.

Been done. It's called SLASO, and several have done it on Halo 3 and Reach. There's even a Mythic run which is SLASO w/no deaths. And iirc I think that's been done on both too. Dunno about Halo 4. There's a couple guys who specialize in that rediculousness. Personally, I was able to complete a few lvls on Reach in CLASO(co-op), and it was seriously redonk; it took us, on that one huge middle lvl forget the name, forever...like 6+hrs. :P

#42 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6306 posts) -

Beating Battletoads, maybe? I'm sure there are harder games out there, but man, that game destroyed my soul.