• 190 results
#1 Posted by Old_Corncob (134 posts) -

Buying a game and discovering you hate it, did it happen to you this year?

Personally, I bought Demigod when it was on sale on Steam, and really regretted it. I am a seasoned LoL player, and there is just no reason for me to play this steaming log of poo. I also bought Arma 2 and had a lot of trouble, mostly with bugs, and general unpleasantness with the control and AI. That's my experience anyway.

So, what's the WORST game you bought this year?

#2 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Rogue Galaxy is not great so far.

#3 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Aliens VS Predator was just awful, really disappointing. Rebellion Games should be ashamed of themselves.

#4 Posted by DonChipotle (2697 posts) -

Call of Juarez: The Cartel

#5 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Dragon Age 2. Goddamnit. I hate how that keeps coming up for me.

Ignoring that, From Dust, even though I actually enjoy it.

#6 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -

Catherine

#7 Posted by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

Brink, without a doubt

#8 Edited by Jeust (10482 posts) -

El Shaddai: The Ascension of the Metratron

It is great visually but very repetitive and monotonous.

#9 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

I wouldn't say I hated it, but LA Noire was probably the worst game I bought this year.

I didn't buy that many games this year.

#10 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

Alpha Protocol's checkpoint system felt like it was rubbing its dick on my face every time I died.

#11 Posted by Akeldama (4239 posts) -

Duke.

#12 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

Man, I don't know. Dead Space 2 perhaps. It's not bad, really, just way worse than the first.

I haven't played that many games this year at all, which is shocking to me.

#13 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2462 posts) -

Painkiller Redemption during a steam sale. Just awful.

#14 Posted by Old_Corncob (134 posts) -

@Akeldama said:

Duke.

OH yeah, I forgot. Yeah, definitely THIS.

#15 Posted by Hector (3356 posts) -

Don't ask why this end up on my hands but... Transformers: Dark of the Moon.

#16 Posted by PokeIkzai (385 posts) -

I was lucky, I guess but Dragon Age 2 is the worst one I bought. I only say I'm lucky because while, IMO, Dragon Age 2 is not very good, this year has saw some real terrible to the table. I feel bad for anyone who bought Duke Nukem Forever.

#17 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -
@Jeust: Just played that and I agree, it's like the Final Fantasy XIII of 3d beat em ups with all its incredibly narrow paths. Some of the least fun platforming I've ever experienced in a game and I also found the combat controls severely lacking.
#18 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

El Shaddai and MW3. 

El Shaddai was supposed to have a gorgeous art style, and I found it ugly, like a crack-addict's non-sensical dream. In the bad way. 

MW3 just reeks of wrong. It has a laundry list of stupid decisions and problems that makes it the weakest of them all. I've played it around 10 hours, 4 of them were the SP. Never touched it again.
#19 Posted by themangalist (1727 posts) -

Assassin's Creed Revelations. I played 30 minutes of it and found out I'm fucking sick of AC already.

#20 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1698 posts) -

Brink, for sure. Man, what a massive disappointment that was. That game had just about every problem required to fuck up that specific type of multiplayer shooter.

#21 Posted by plaintomato (598 posts) -

FFXIII

As a a big fan of the series...up until then anyway...I was totally shocked at the lame ass gameplay.

#22 Posted by Matoya (416 posts) -

Skyrim on the PS3. It's unplayable

#23 Posted by Patman99 (1559 posts) -

@OneKillWonder said:

Brink, for sure. Man, what a massive disappointment that was. That game had just about every problem required to fuck up that specific type of multiplayer shooter.

This. I had such high hopes for that game.

#24 Posted by Draugen (630 posts) -

X-Men: Destiny, hands down. It was my own fault though. It's not like I didn't know what to expect.

#25 Posted by Enns (357 posts) -

@drag said:

I wouldn't say I hated it, but LA Noire was probably the worst game I bought this year.

Pretty much the same thing for me.. although I did really hate any on foot chase sequence because every single person is a marathon running parkour master.

#26 Posted by skadave (199 posts) -

Deus Ex. . . couldn't play it for more than an hour (even after i put it on the easiest difficulty).

#27 Posted by smokeyd123 (326 posts) -

Probably Monster Hunter Tri. It's not that it's terrible, I just haven't really been interested in playing it, because it involves me plugging in my Wii.

#28 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

Dunegon Siege III, what a pile of crap that is!

#29 Posted by AlexW00d (6191 posts) -

L.A. Noire easily.

#30 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

L.A Noire

#31 Posted by Ferros (220 posts) -

It's a toss up between Deadly Premonition and Rage. Deadly Premonition is super weird, the music and atmosphere are hilarious but the gameplay itself is absolutely 100% terrible. Rage wasn't terrible, it was just so disappointing, they had a great base to build off and did absolutely nothing interesting with it. I finished Rage in maybe two or three days and haven't played it since.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (14585 posts) -

Ya know I really have to roll my eyes at al the Dragon Age II mentions. If that's the worst game you played all year then you did pretty good because DAII was a pretty fun game.

#33 Posted by Ramone (2960 posts) -

Worst that I played through all the way is Bionic Commando, worst that I gave up on is DA2

#34 Posted by ShaggE (6348 posts) -

I've been lucky this year, where even the worst games I've played (Duke) have given me some enjoyment. Nothing truly, irreparably awful to the point where I couldn't even bring myself to go on.

#35 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

For some dumb-ass reason I decided to buy sonic adventure 2 for the Gamecube. I guess I was feeling nostalgic (and it was $5). And you know what? The game sucks.

#36 Posted by Andorski (5204 posts) -

Perfect Dark XBLA. I thought the nostalgia high would last longer than a few levels.

#37 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11495 posts) -

I paid money for Deus Ex Invisible War this year.

#38 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Catherine. I bought it on sale, and it's a very mediocre game. That said, it was a very memorable game, and one I actually enjoyed. But there's no disguising the fact that the actual game part of Catherine was something to burn through to get to the more interesting, less frequent story stuff.

#39 Posted by Aetheldod (3514 posts) -

LA Noir ... what a load of crap that was

#40 Posted by Volgin13 (191 posts) -

Dead Island

#41 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

As much as I want to say that the worst game I've bought this year is E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, that unplayable mess that made me lose faith in indie devs, I have to admit I didn't enjoy anything from Bastion. Such an overhyped game that falls flat in everything, if you ask me. The combat is boring and repetitive, the RPG "elements" are almost non-existent and the narration was particularly painful. I can't believe it's probably going to be Giant Bom's GOTY, or at least the GOTY of several of the Bomb Squad...

#42 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever.

I don't hate it but it's by no means a good game. I'm still glad I own though.

#43 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1171 posts) -

dead island

#44 Posted by Ezakael (916 posts) -

Dungeon Siege 3 was really disappointing. I really wish I had to skipped out on that one. I'd also say Dragon Age 2. I can't say I hate it but it's pretty much inferior in every way compared to Origins.

#45 Posted by Daveyo520 (6662 posts) -

I did not buy many games this year so I guess it defaults to Dragon Age II.

#46 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

LA Noire. It's not terrible, but it was a huge disappointment. I like so much of what that game wants to be, it's a shame it never accomplishes any of it.

#47 Posted by Animasta (14650 posts) -

@Ubersmake said:

Catherine. I bought it on sale, and it's a very mediocre game. That said, it was a very memorable game, and one I actually enjoyed. But there's no disguising the fact that the actual game part of Catherine was something to burn through to get to the more interesting, less frequent story stuff.

I enjoyed the gameplay, probably more than the story even

as for me... I bought records of agarest war for some reason and did not care for it

#48 Posted by Vexxan (4616 posts) -

This year I actually managed to not buy a game that disappointed me.

Yay?

#49 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Too human, nothing else to say

#50 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

hands down I'd have to say resistance 3. I trusted that the reviews that said it was an above average game would mean that I would enjoy it even though I have never played a past resistance game this assumption was incorrect.