• 85 results
Posted by vegetashonor (921 posts) 2 years, 9 months ago

Poll: What is the worst trend in modern gaming? (208 votes)

Quick time events 12%
Games hidden behind a pay wall "mobile" 28%
Reserve specific bonuses 35%
hardware revisions 1%
Launch day patches 9%
PC getting games later then consoles 15%

Mine would have to be hardware revisions. I get why they do it, but ultimately, it's already an expensive hobby. I have 2 kids man. :)

#51 Edited by EerieTraveler (38 posts) -

"Broadening the audience"

#52 Edited by gogosox82 (444 posts) -

Games hidden behind a paywall and i think that doesn't just extend to mobile games anymore. ME has alot of content hidden behind a paywall. How are you supposed to experience the game w/o the dlc included? DLC should be like microtransations, they should only be for convenience and atheistic purposes only and shouldn't include story elements that you need to play in order to understand the story. I feel when you buy a game, you should get the full game. If devs wanna support the game after launch with new content, that's great, but most of the it feels like the stuff that's sold as dlc should've been in the game to begin with.

#53 Posted by mwng (1040 posts) -

Region locking...

#54 Posted by joshthebear (2704 posts) -

Retailer specific pre-order DLC is the absolute fucking worst thing.

#55 Posted by Rebel_Scum (979 posts) -

Didn't vote because there is no 'Annual Release' option. Worst practise imo because its saturating the market with mediocrity. I'm looking at you COD/MOH, Assassins Creed etc...

#56 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (931 posts) -

..... launch day patches are a bad thing?

#57 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (4514 posts) -

There are two things I find worse than any of those:

- The systematic removal of color from the entire video game industry.

- "Cinematic" music replacing anything with melody.

#58 Edited by Ares42 (3164 posts) -

The worst trend in modern gaming is easily the over-saturation. Ever since gaming became a big multi-billion industry everyone and their mother has jumped in to make good money which has lead to countless of the issues people complain about. The industry is no longer driven by people with passion for games, it's driven by people with passion for money.

#59 Edited by seamus85 (139 posts) -
#60 Posted by Grimluck343 (1178 posts) -

The worst trend is in mobile games, easily. The business model for iPhone games is absolutely idiotic and it's a shame that it's bleeding into console games (looking at you, Dead Space 3).

#61 Posted by DonPixel (2773 posts) -

constant whining

#62 Posted by Demoskinos (17103 posts) -

@coovee said:

Launch day patches

Its getting to the point where companies will purposely release busted games and just patch them after the fact.

That isn't always the case. Its true that sometimes that probably happens but also realize that there is a week or two between the time the game is finished and when discs get pressed and the game is released. It makes a lot of sense to use that 2 weeks to fix bugs that got through the final QA pass.

#63 Edited by Seppli (11233 posts) -

Other. Excessive lens flare & other similar post processing effects. EA games are the worst offenders, such as Battlefield 3 and Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Playability over presentation please.

#64 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

After finishing 999, and reflecting upon Asura's Wrath and Final Fantasy XIII-2, I'm going with sequel tease endings that don't resolve jack shit.

#65 Posted by Fallen189 (5396 posts) -

Having to wait 4 fucking months from a game coming out in the USA for it to come to Europe. Or region locking. Both suck

#66 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

Having to wait 4 fucking months from a game coming out in the USA for it to come to Europe. Or region locking. Both suck

Given the history of international releases, wouldn't this be considered a step forward?

#67 Posted by NiKva (133 posts) -

Quick Time Events are the worst! It makes games unnecessarily hard.

#68 Posted by project343 (2889 posts) -

@branthog said:

DLC is a problem because it is just a bunch of crap cluttering up the game while making it feel shady and gross. There are occasionally great pieces of DLC, but even the phrase "DLC" is just gross. We used to call it "expansions" and things that sounded more player-friendly. Calling it "DLC" is as sterile and soulless as calling everything "IP", which also feels gross. Season Passes are terrible, because they're suckering you into paying $30 to $50 on top of the game you already have, for content that you're hoping you'll get and enjoy, even though you have absolutely no idea what you'll be getting. If it was laid out exactly what you'd be getting and the quality of it, that'd be reasonable. Instead, they just say "for $40, you can get the four DLC drops that will come out over the next twelve months". Too vague. I'm not aware of any Season Pass for which the content was explicitly laid out at the start.

It just sounds like you hate acronyms. Downloadable content sounds fine. The best thing about downloadable content is the fact that it is no longer restricted to encompassing $30-40, epic-sized meals. When I got my Wizard's Tower in Oblivion, I was fucking exploding with joy: a structure devoted solely to my magic characters (I almost exclusively play casters). When I got the Mass Effect 2 weapon pack, it was goddamn brilliant: they completely reinvented boring weapon archetypes and changed the game in some incredible ways for a couple dollars. You just sound like you're stuck in the same close-minded mindset that people were when DLC first started coming about 8 years ago.

As Jeff has argued many times over: there's nothing inherently wrong with season passes. They're the equivalent of buying a 'game of the year edition' for the DLC exclusively: you get all the meat at a discounted price. Asking for the money upfront is a little weird, but if you have confidence in that developer to deliver, then what's so wrong with it? After seeing the initial Scarlett DLC for Borderlands 2, I knew exactly what to expect from all the following packs: a solid little adventure that gave me more to do in that world. I bought the season pass. So far, I'm more than happy (especially since I got it at a $22 price). If you don't want to take that chance, just wait for all the DLC to release and buy the season pass to get the discount.

#69 Edited by Pr1mus (4121 posts) -

Another trend i hate, and this is speaking as someone who worked in QA for years, is how certification really doesn't mean anything anymore. What a fucking joke that process has become.

Just because you can patch on consoles now doesn't excuse releasing barely functional games if even functional at all in certain extreme cases.

#70 Edited by PenguinDust (12900 posts) -

@bitchypixels said:

Preorder bonuses and apps hidden behind a pay wall are the worst. Stop cash grabbing you greedy assholes.

This especially hiding parts of the game behind a pay wall or denying customers who've already paid full price for a game certain abilities unless they pay more. This is not DLC which is acceptable when done right. This is some of the worst business practices found in F2P MMOs infecting itself into proper full priced gaming.

#71 Posted by Dauthi693 (131 posts) -

@fallen189 said:

Given the history of international releases, wouldn't this be considered a step forward?

Given the internet shouldn't it still be considered backwards

#72 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@fallen189 said:

Given the internet shouldn't it still be considered backwards

Both these views are very compatible.

#73 Posted by Clonedzero (4206 posts) -

the most general thing i could say is preorder bonus nonsense. its NEVER a good thing.

ive never had a game pay wall me, but maybe cus i dont play stupid mobile games? i dunno.

QTE aren't really a trend, right? its just a lame mechanic that shows up from time to time.

#74 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

Way too many to list, don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll stick to my most played genre, multiplayer shooters, and say that developers don't try to keep you playing games by making them fun, they try to keep you playing games by going for unlocks and give you an unfair advantage over people who haven't played that long or just bought the game.

My favorite shooter is still Team Fortress Classic. There were no ranks, there were no unlockable weapons, there were no perks, there were no fucking hats. It was balanced and just a ton of fun every round, and it still is. I would play other modern shooters instead but all of them focus on shiny shit instead of substance.

#75 Posted by ArtisanBreads (5791 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Selling the ending separately.

I think different versions of this main idea are the worst. Basically everything ME 3 did with it's DLC, holding that all back or at least saving it in theory for DLC.

#76 Posted by PandaBear (1484 posts) -

Games hidden behind a pay wall? What like how movies in the cinema are hidden behind a box office, or a burger at McDonalds is hidden behind a counter until you buy it? Is everyone so entitled they think mobile games should just be free? Get a job.

#77 Posted by Canteu (2968 posts) -

DLC is the worst thing about modern gaming.

#78 Posted by Slag (6104 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Selling the ending separately.

#79 Edited by Sooty (8195 posts) -

Pre-order bonuses, reboots for the sake of it, micro transactions inside games you already pay for, progression systems in everything, day one DLC, social networking hooks, that digital pre-orders exist, region locking, EA cockblocking Steam.

#80 Edited by TheHT (13054 posts) -

None of those are terrible. Essential DLC takes the cake for me. Also Season Passes not delivering.

#81 Posted by EpicSteve (6908 posts) -

DLC that contains something that shouldve been on the main game.

Like Mass Effect 3 for example.

If someone ever feels like they played a totally different game because of DLC SOMEONE FUCKED UP!

#82 Posted by BoFooQ (893 posts) -

That's a very small list of choices. Personally I would say something like, trying to make everything realistic. I don't have a problem playing a game and knowing its a game. Why everything needs to "try" and look realistic is really uncalled for. more developers just need to embrace the idea their are making a game.

#83 Posted by kalibr (121 posts) -

Collectibles with no significance

#84 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6400 posts) -

While it might seem like nothing now, DLC will likely be a pain in the ass in the future. There will inevitably be no way to access certain things. For example, Prince of Persia 08. The game's ending is DLC. Dead Space 2/ Severed. Bioshock 2/ Minerva's Den. These are few examples of extra content that may become extremely difficult to find.

Also, while I have nothing against Free To Play, I sincerely hope it doesn't become the standard practice for the majority of games. Personally, I'm the kind of person who just wants to give my money for a game up front and then have the game. No judgment though.

#85 Posted by Irishdoom (394 posts) -

I hate that we find it much easier to identify ourselves by what we hate than what we love.