#1 Posted by BeachThunder (12578 posts) -

I'm talking about the red part that shows where enemies are attacking from.

#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Hit detector.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (12578 posts) -

Thanks, I suppose that's a no on a concept page then...

#4 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
#5 Edited by BeachThunder (12578 posts) -
#7 Posted by Hamst3r (4610 posts) -

I think it's a variation on: Damage Flash

Which should probably be renamed from Damage Flash to Damage Indicator. It's a directional indication of where damage is coming from.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (12578 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

Which should probably be renamed from Damage Flash to Damage Indicator. It's a directional indication of where damage is coming from.

Hm, I would actually argue that they are different and can both exist at the same time.

#9 Posted by dudeglove (8488 posts) -

Damage Indicator seems a more suitable name. Or maybe "Death Arrow".

#10 Edited by dudeglove (8488 posts) -

Damage Indicator seems a more suitable name. Or maybe "Death Arrow".

#11 Edited by Skytylz (4042 posts) -

I agree they are different things. The jelly and red sides of the screen are damage indicators and the arrow indicates hit detection.

#12 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Directional hit marker is what we calls them in the gaming factories.

#13 Edited by Hamst3r (4610 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@hamst3r said:

Hm, I would actually argue that they are different and can both exist at the same time.

@skytylz said:

I agree they are different things. The jelly and red sides of the screen are damage indicators and the arrow indicates hit detection.

They both indicate damage, because they only occur when you are being damaged. In some cases the damage indicator also indicates the direction of the damage. As such, they are the same thing. You can have both a directional and non-directional damage indicator at the same time, as many games do, and they're still both damage indicators.

edit: Alternatively, you could have them as separate concepts, but they should be Damage Indicator and Directional Damage Indicator.

#14 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

Bear in mind that there's two kinds of that thing: The one showing you what direction you're getting HIT from, and the one showing you the direction where the enemies are merely aware of your presence and about to start shooting.

I'd call the former 'hit detector' and the latter 'detected detector'

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@hamst3r said:

They both indicate damage, because they only occur when you are being damaged. In some cases the damage indicator also indicates the direction of the damage. As such, they are the same thing.

By that logic, all rectangles are squares.

#16 Posted by Hamst3r (4610 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@hamst3r said:

They both indicate damage, because they only occur when you are being damaged. In some cases the damage indicator also indicates the direction of the damage. As such, they are the same thing.

By that logic, all rectangles are squares.

What are you even talking about? Regardless, taking your nonsense and turning it around, since all squares are rectangles:

The Damage Indicator is the rectangle and the Directional Damage Indicator is the square, a type of rectangle. They are both damage indicators, just the directional one also denotes direction, thus it is a sub-category of the damage indicator.

If you want to better explain to me how that's incorrect, go for it, I'm listening.

#17 Posted by Skytylz (4042 posts) -

@hamst3r: That's kind of what I was thinking. One that indicates amount of damage taken and one that indicates direction. An element in a game could be both, but I feel there is a definite distinction.

#18 Edited by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

@hamst3r:

That explanation seems right, but it doesn't really justify making the directional indicator a subset of the damage indicator. Again, rectangle/square analogy.

Actually, I remember what I was going for: you can only say two things are the same if neither one can exist without the other. Or something along those lines. In this case, that doesn't hold up. We can have damage indicators without directional indicators, but does the inverse hold true? It doesn't, so how can we call them the same if one can exist without the other? Again.....well, I think you know.