#1 Posted by SexyToad (2739 posts) -

I've been seeing posts around GiantBomb how the staff are working on a new site. So I'm just wondering what is it? Are they planning to redesign everything or something else? Just details about it.

#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6939 posts) -

Redesigning GB.

#3 Posted by Little_Socrates (5650 posts) -

It is a site redesign, yeah. CBSi doesn't technically own the Whiskey Media sitebuilding technology, so we're on a lot of placeholder materials until the site redesign launches. I'm sure most of the work is figuring out how to transfer our old content to new tech, with the largest difficulty almost definitely being the Wiki.

Though I haven't been listening to the WM Radio Show enough to give more concrete details than that.

#4 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

They are redesigning the website. Along with that they are also using a different coding platform called PHP instead of django to 'build' the sites.

#5 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Well, it's not so much a redesign, it's a rebuilding. But yes, a New New Giantbomb Experience is coming soon.

#6 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6375 posts) -

Since you've already received your answer, I will just say that I cannot wait until the site redesign comes and the endless bitching about said redesign ensues.

#7 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Since you've already received your answer, I will just say that I cannot wait until the site redesign comes and the endless bitching about said redesign ensues.

Yep.

#8 Posted by Sweep (8545 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

It is a site redesign, yeah. CBSi doesn't technically own the Whiskey Media sitebuilding technology, so we're on a lot of placeholder materials until the site redesign launches. I'm sure most of the work is figuring out how to transfer our old content to new tech, with the largest difficulty almost definitely being the Wiki.

Pretty much this. Dave is redesigning a new platform to relaunch both Gamespot and Giantbomb simultaneously.

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (6939 posts) -
@Godlyawesomeguy

Oh god. The way people bitched about ME3 and Diablo 3? It's gonna be firestorm of stupidity.
#10 Posted by Hunter5024 (5180 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

I've been seeing posts around GiantBomb how the staff are working on a new site. So I'm just wondering what is it? Are they planning to redesign everything or something else? Just details about it.

If you subscribe there are some pretty cool details in the Whiskey Media Radio Shows about it. It looks better so far.

#11 Posted by Trilogy (2570 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Little_Socrates said:

Pretty much this. Dave is redesigning a new platform to relaunch both Gamespot and Giantbomb simultaneously.

Holy shit...I didn't know he was doing gamespot too. Dave and the crew are animals.

#12 Posted by wordfalling (193 posts) -

@Trilogy: Me neither. I'd imagine Gamespot would be more challenging given how much longer it has been around and Dave not having built it in the first place.

#13 Posted by Stepside (506 posts) -

Stoked for the new site.

#14 Edited by Sweep (8545 posts) -

@Trilogy said:

@Sweep said:

@Little_Socrates said:

Holy shit...I didn't know he was doing gamespot too. Dave and the crew are animals.

My understanding is that they won't be identical, merely built using the same framework. Gamespot still has all their own engineers doing whatever it is they do over there.

#15 Posted by Demoskinos (13907 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Little_Socrates said:

Hey hey hey...don't forget Alexis! They are a motherfucking tag team!

#16 Posted by Irvandus (2644 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Well, it's not so much a redesign, it's a rebuilding. But yes, a New New Giantbomb Experience is coming soon.

The new experience is actually just a picture of someones dick replacing the T in the Giantbomb logo.

#17 Edited by Trilogy (2570 posts) -

@Sweep said:

@Trilogy said:

@Sweep said:

@Little_Socrates said:

My understanding is that they won't be identical, merely built using the same framework. Gamespot still has all their own engineers doing whatever it is they do over there.

They're probably drooling all over themselves while our brave and handsome David Snider Esquire the Third and his wise cracking sidekick, Alexis, heroically save the interwebz.

#18 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

i expect it to be done for the big live live show

#19 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

I'm excited.

#20 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4499 posts) -

@Dany said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Yep.

GB becomes white site version only.

The streets will run red with blood, and Snider will laugh as the world burns.

#21 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Dany said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Yep.

I have been white site for more than a year.

WHITE SITE IS THE ONLY SITE!

#23 Posted by falserelic (4954 posts) -

And here we go....

#24 Posted by Brendan (7522 posts) -

@Dany said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Dany said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Yep.

White site is right!

#25 Posted by cyraxible (680 posts) -

If you use the white layout I feel bad for your retinas.

#26 Posted by pepperzz (160 posts) -

I can't wait for the new site. It seems like they're really putting a lot of effort into it, making it more streamlined and intuitive. What I would give to be on that team of developers...

#27 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Brendan said:

@Dany said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Dany said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Yep.

White site is right!

RIP Retinas

#29 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4499 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten: I'm ok with that so long as the option for black remains. That way it can be a hip alternative for all the cool cats who are in the know. The way it was meant to be.

#31 Posted by Slab64 (1036 posts) -

@Sweep said:

Doing the only thing you can do when you aren't Top Men...huddle under your desk and pray for the sweet release of the grave.

#32 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Dany said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Yep.

Why would people be upset that they are forced to us the superior version of Giantbomb?

Come at me, bro.

#33 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Brendan said:

White is right!

What was that? You fucking racist animal!

#34 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@GenocidalKitten said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Dany said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Yep.

I don't want to alarm you hear, but they've talked about how if they did a white site right then it could be the main layout.

I will burn this website to the ground!

#35 Posted by Undeadpool (4870 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

Though I haven't been listening to the WM Radio Show enough to give more concrete details than that.

And here I thought the transfer was as easy as flicking a switch! Just like getting an entirely new set of systems hooked up and installed! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go register my complaints as to the lack of whacky, PC-dependent site features!

#36 Posted by SexyToad (2739 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@GenocidalKitten said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

@Dany said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Yep.

I don't want to alarm you hear, but they've talked about how if they did a white site right then it could be the main layout.

I will burn this website to the ground!

It would be white hot.