#1 Posted by TheBluthCompany (424 posts) -

Over the years there have been a lot of fantastic game trailers. This is my all time favorite.

What's yours?

#2 Posted by Random45 (1287 posts) -

My answer the last 5 times this thread was created was the Mass Effect 2 launch trailer, and that won't change.

Runner up is Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty. It makes the game look so good, and then once I played it, I was left in utter horror at how fucking BAD the story was... ugh...

#3 Posted by Barl0we (4 posts) -

I've always liked the trailer for the original Dead Island game:

Then there's the Alan Wake trailer:

#4 Posted by BigJeffrey (5111 posts) -
#5 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

All of the Bad Company 1 campaign. This scratch and sniff magazine add finally pushed me over the edge. First time a videogame add campaign made me buy a game. I was so deep into WoW at the time, I didn't really play *real* games anymore. Battlefield is what broke the camel's back, so to speak. It was the first *immediate* game that was so much better than WoW, that all of WoW's hooks couldn't keep me.

The trailers were no slouches either.

Hilarious!

#6 Edited by Corevi (5103 posts) -
@random45 said:

My answer the last 5 times this thread was created was the Mass Effect 2 launch trailer, and that won't change.

This is my answer as well. My runner up however is the music video for War by Poets of the Fall which is basically a live action ad for Alan Wake

Though if ironic answers count then it has to be:

#7 Posted by TheHT (11831 posts) -

Video Games: The Trailer

#8 Posted by SingingMenstrual (327 posts) -

While Skyrim is far from my top 5 favorite games, that first gameplay trailer where the Fus Ro Dah turns into a choir chanting is a fucking nuclear bomb. IMO the best trailer from beginning to end, it's just epic. Not the internet "epic" but the real word.

The speech to the shout to the choir chant all with the explosive escalation of the visuals, it's just the best.

"..In their tongue.. He is Dovahkiin.. Dragonborn! FUS RAW DAWW, Nuz aan suuuuul, fent aloooook, fod fin vuuuul, dovah nooook..."

#9 Edited by Glottery (1398 posts) -

@barl0we said:

xpantherx did a pretty well job in demonstrating how accurately that portrayed the final game.

That's not to say that I wasn't impressed by the trailer when it first debuted, but oboy.

I'm going to link the one that'll always bum me out with it's "what could've been" scenario...

Edit; My apologies! While that trailer was a hopeful reminder of the fact that Duke Nukem Forever was still coming out and would be the best thing in the world, this 1998 one was the one that blew everything else out of the water at that time.

Oh and not sure about favourites, but I suddenly remember the ancient trailer for Halo, back when it was still supposedly coming out on just PC. I'm pretty sure I watched the trailer from some demo disc and that it was much shorter than this, but I couldn't find it right now. The bit of dialog from 8:20 especially has stuck to my mind, if we forget about just having your jaw drop at how awesome that all looked back then.

#10 Edited by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

Both very obvious answers, but if I'm honest I don't think any trailer had me more excited than these two:

Also, the Final Fantasy VIII intro that was in a demo disc before the game came out completely blew my mind. Not strictly speaking a trailer though.

#11 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6165 posts) -
#12 Posted by SubwayD (571 posts) -

#13 Posted by Barl0we (4 posts) -
@glottery said:

@barl0we said:

xpantherx did a pretty well job in demonstrating how accurately that portrayed the final game.

That's not to say that I wasn't impressed by the trailer when it first debuted, but oboy.

Well yeah. The game didn't have the vibe that the trailer had.

In a similar vein, I really liked this Fallout 3 trailer:

I kinda liked the game, but I just couldn't get completely into it for some reason.

#14 Posted by Glottery (1398 posts) -

@subwayd said:

Huh, that was pretty awsome...and definetly would've made me expect this to be something else than your average 3rd person shooter, so I'm kinda glad I didn't see this 'till I experienced the game myself.

#15 Posted by ESREVER (2698 posts) -

DMC 3 E3 Trailer. Still one of my favorite songs too.

#16 Posted by Chumley_Marchbanks (158 posts) -

Portal 2 co-op trailer.

Runner up is the Mass Effect 2 E3 2009 trailer.

#17 Posted by JustKamToo (728 posts) -

Always liked this Alpha Protocol one;

#18 Posted by Archer88 (168 posts) -

The first one that came to mind for me. Gives me goosebumps.

#19 Posted by cloudymusic (1234 posts) -

Maybe cheating a little bit, but it's still a really rad trailer.

#20 Posted by HammondofTexas (922 posts) -

@archer88 said:

The first one that came to mind for me. Gives me goosebumps.

This!

#21 Posted by Pr1mus (3954 posts) -

#22 Posted by Zaccheus (1806 posts) -

@glottery said:

@subwayd said:

Huh, that was pretty awsome...and definetly would've made me expect this to be something else than your average 3rd person shooter, so I'm kinda glad I didn't see this 'till I experienced the game myself.

Oh shit, I had completely forgotten about this trailer. That game still sends chills down my spine when I think about it. I can't believe it even got made. I know it didn't really hit some people, but for me it was like a punch in the face.

#23 Edited by Zlimness (577 posts) -

Bionic Commando Rearmed had the dopest trailers. This one is my favorite.

I remember when I watched this trailer for Mirror's Edge. I couldn't believe what I saw. Game still looks great btw!

And a special mention goes to this one. It's really dumb.

#24 Posted by DeadpanCakes (1065 posts) -
@glottery said:

@barl0we said:

Dead Island was the first that came to mind, but I don't usually watch trailers and when I do I tend to forget them pretty fast.

Also, that video is great.

#25 Posted by Tom_omb (429 posts) -

Nothing comes close to topping this one.

#26 Posted by Poonz (140 posts) -

Not sure if this counts but, the Gears of War commercial to Mad World. I always thought it was amazing and made me want that game so bad, more than any other that I can think of.

#27 Posted by Slade- (25 posts) -

Team fortress 2 and Deus Ex HR debut trailer are simply best.

#28 Posted by Shaunage (733 posts) -

I did watch that Halo 2 trailer about a hundred times when it came out. Also the Halo 3 one from E3, "This is the way the world ends."

These days, I can't imagine I'll ever watch a game trailer more than once again. 99.9% of them, I don't even watch once. I'll play it when it's out, or not.

#29 Posted by SunBroZak (1381 posts) -

#30 Edited by ZolRoyce (856 posts) -

@random45: The music used in the ME2 trailer is just so perfect.

Anyways, I have to give some love to This Metro: Last Light trailer.

It is so well done, and if you aren't able to guess it, the ending twist is pretty neat as well.