What is your favored playstyle/archetype?

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Socialone

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I try to mainly focus on magic in any game that lets me. Classes like the Adept in Mass Effect or any sorcerer type.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By mscupcakes

If there's a stealth option I'll always play it that way. Especially if there's an invisibility spell or a cloak like in Crysis.

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Socialone

I was wondering how GB members played most of their games when given the option. While it is very obvious in RPGs, many RTSs and FPSs give us tools to modify our strategy accordingly to a certain playtyle mirroring the DnD trinity.

Do you guys stick to a pure archetype, switch it up from time to time or play hybrids? I usually go stealth, playing a Nightblade in every Elder Scrolls, abusing silencers + mines in modern shooters and using Nod in Command and Conquer games.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp

Where's the finesse/striker option?

I like being on the move all the time but hitting really hard.

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By TheFakePsychic

Don't stop moving. That's how I play.

Except in MH, wherein I play Bowgun/Lance/Gunlance.

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Socialone

@Doctorchimp said:

Where's the finesse/striker option?

I like being on the move all the time but hitting really hard.

That would be Stealth I guess (backtabbing for massive damage), or a hybrid of Stealth and Brute force (rolling around with a warhammer?). I tried not to put too many options because the aim of this poll is to include as many genres as possible, not just RPGs which tend to go into much finer details in that regard.

Purpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Purpz

Healer all the way. Which is very strange, due to me hating people. Heh heh.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

Fast as lightning. This isn't to say that I can't have fun with a slower character, but I would much rather have one that is incredibly nimble and quick over one that's incredibly strong.

EDIT: As for RPG's, I'm not exactly a huge fan of sticking to one archetype. Certainly I understand why a mage should be better with magic, but I don't see any reason why a mage can't also wear at least some armor and pick up a half-decent sword. It just bugs me a bit when my Dragon Age Origins mage, whom I usually have fun with, can't give something near him a good thwack while he's waiting for his apocalypse spell to cool down.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Group situation: Support/healer, never offensive magic.
Solo: Usually brute force.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Morrow

It depends. I try out all of it if possible, although stealth is the least likely to come first... brute force is the easiest, least tactical most of the time. Magic is usually a bit more challenging and more tactical, as well as ranged combat. Depends on the game really. I tried out almost all vocations in Dragons Dogma and enjoyed them :)

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Trilogy

If we're talking about rpgs, I prefer the archer or stealth/archer style. I play a Hunter and a rogue in WoW, a stealthy archer in Skyrim, a Demon hunter in Diablo 3, a Vanquisher in Torchlight, a Siren in Bordelands, ect. In most fps I do tend to lean towards the sniper/silenced sub machine gun play style.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By AlexW00d

Depends on the game.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikeGosot

Brute Force. Always be hitting hard.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By YI_Orange

Depends. In group situations I tend to like to be more of a damage dealer/support hybrid with a larger emphasis on damage dealing usually, so ranger type classes.

In a single player game, usually melee combat. I will try stuff other ways, but usually I just say fuck it and rush everyone. Never slow builds though, I prefer to be fast.

I never found magic based characters to be very fun.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel

It depends on the game. Though as I'm still playing Xenoblade Chronicles at the moment, I've shied away from taking direct control of the support and tank characters in favor of the magic and all-around characters.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By _Zombie_

I guess it depends on the game. But where I get a choice, I usually go for brute force, or stealth if I'm bored.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By CaLe

This is a problem for me because whatever I choose I always end up wanting to do the other. If I go stealth, I'm jealous of that big 2-hander. If I go brute attack I'm jealous of the stealthy approach and ranged characters. Everything is pretty equal in terms of what I like so it works against me.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Clonedzero

i like being sneaky, its satisfying.

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By WJist

I always end up going for the more action/combat roles and upgrade trees when I have the option of doing so. STAND THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A BRICK WALL

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#21  Edited By pyromagnestir

@AlexW00d said:

Depends on the game.

And also I'm perfectly willing to try whatever.

In multiplayer shooters I tend to play a mix of brute and stealth, a light machine gunner type (or pyro) with a tendency to try and flank or pick a spot off to the side and mow people down as they pass (also I'm just not very good), but otherwise I just pick whatever seems most fun or interesting.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Dixavd

I don't really stick to one archetype - I either go by what the story says they should be (so making choices in levelling and equipment on how much I think that character would choose to do that) or I go nuetral with multi-classes, sort of making my character a one-man-army.

Sometimes though I pick a "signature move" to base my character around, be it a cool early ability from the start or a specific one I wish to obtain later in the game, this means that I sometimes then make my character fall into an archetype but even then I usually diversify out even around them to allow the combat to feel different effectively throughout.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Hunter5024

I typically think playing stealthily is really tedious, and I hate having a fragile character so I typically don't go with magic either. So brute force. I tend to play warriors, though when I do I don't go for a tank type character, I usually try to duel wield and build a DPS type character whose not too slow.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By jimi

Really depends on the game. In fantasy settings I tend to side with magic because it is way more fun than just hacking things with swords. However with sci fi if the guns feel powerful enough I tend to go with that.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By GunstarRed

Cautiously aggressive? I like to be pretty attack-y but also like dodging, rolling and dashing out of the way a lot.