• 131 results
#1 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Following a steady flow of news out of THQ, it's apparent they are in extremely tough times right now, and without a major release happening anytime soon, they probably won't catch a break either. My prediction is grim for the studio, they have so little going for them other than Saint's row and darksiders, and even then, those aren't major blockbusters (aside from SR3). While it's always sad to see a game studio shut down, I can't exactly bring myself to care about the THQ situation, I didn't like any saints row really, and barely played Darksiders, so if they do go away, ehh, I don't care. But I wanted to know, because of this development, what is a studio you guys were sad to see go? 'Rare games' I guess counts because they are absolutely not the same developer they used to be. Publishers count as well, but I can't think of any aside from Aklaim. When it comes to my absolute favorite studio, it was sad to see both Hudson soft and Bizarre go. Technically Hudson shits it's doors officially March 1st, and Bizarre only closed shop last year. So what are some of your iconic studios that you hated to see go?

#2 Posted by SpaceRunaway (873 posts) -

Compile.

#3 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Pandemic, Ironicly? owned by THQ Nevermind it was EA

#4 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Pandemic, Ironicly? owned by THQ Nevermind it was EA

Pandemic is my choice as well.

#5 Posted by ParamedicFoetus (62 posts) -

I remember being pretty disapointed when Seeds got shut down, though in the end it led to Platinum so it wasn't all bad. Capcom's not been the same since though.
Also Game Republic, Cavia and Cing as I felt they all were responsible for some great games and had a good deal more to offer.

#6 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

Bioware. Oh wait bioware didn't close, just sold out.

#7 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Pandemic for sure. The saboteur and mercs 2 were friggin amazing.

#8 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Troika Games, who did the Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines game. there might have been others who closed yet made games I enjoy playing but Troika is the first that comes to mind with that question.

#9 Posted by killacam (1288 posts) -

squaresoft...

#10 Posted by djn3811 (59 posts) -

I don't know whether it actually closed but I always enjoyed EA Sports Big games, (SSX and NBA/NFL Street)

#11 Edited by Nightriff (5327 posts) -

I know it isn't closed but it seems like it is just a matter of time....Silicon Knights....sniff. Did my favorite game of all time in Eternal Darkness. Did a solid remake of MGS which introduced me to the Metal Gearverse which I love annnnnnnnd....nothing good since then. They seemed like they were going to be a great developer and then something just went wrong...very sad for me.

@matthias2437 said:

HAHA so true

#12 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@matthias2437 said:

I think ME3 will decide if Bioware went fully down the toilet for me.

#13 Posted by handlas (2748 posts) -

mmmmm maybe Bizarre Creations. They made some fun stuff.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

Cavia, purely because of Nier

#15 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1148 posts) -
#16 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11378 posts) -

Factor 5. Lair may have been a complete and udder mess, but I really love the Rogue Squadron games, and its a shame that there will probably never be another one. Also, I'm convinced that if Lair had another year in development, they could have ironed out those bugs and put out an awesome game.

#17 Posted by Brackstone (87 posts) -

I guess the one that made me the saddest was GSC, but now they're back in business again, so it doesn't really count.

Apart from that I have to say Ensemble. They made some amazing games.

#18 Posted by Dalkalopagus (29 posts) -

Defiantly Clover studios.

#19 Posted by AjayRaz (12475 posts) -

probably Bizarre Creations ; ;

#20 Posted by Skytylz (4039 posts) -

@DrDarkStryfe said:

Ensemble Studios. I am a huge, huge fan of the Age of Empires series, and was pretty bummed out when it was announced that they would be shut down after Halo Wars came out.

Definitely Ensemble for me too. I want a real new Age of Empires!

#21 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Ion Storm (Spector, not fucking Romero), Westwood, Origin, Ensemble,Troika

#22 Posted by Grimluck343 (1160 posts) -

@matthias2437 said:

Zing!

#23 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

Bullfrog :*(

#24 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

It's pretty cliché but, in all honesty, Midway Games. I spent a good portion of my youth in arcades. They had some of my favorite games and usually took up most of my allowance. That and Daytona USA.

#25 Edited by Village_Guy (2661 posts) -
#26 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

Luxoflux. (Vigilante 8)

#27 Posted by PenguinDust (12626 posts) -

Westwood Studios. Although they didn't die outright. They were absorbed by EA and liquidated in 2003 because it wasn't living up to commercial expectations. I guess that's sort of the same thing as dying though.

#28 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

@killacam said:

squaresoft...

haha Fucker, that's what I came to say.

#29 Posted by Masha2932 (1242 posts) -

Pandemic- I really enjoyed The Saboteur, Mercenaries: Playground of destruction and Destroy all humans.

#30 Posted by isomeri (1406 posts) -

Bizarre Creations. I really enjoyed the Project Gotham Racing games, not to mention Geometry Wars.

#31 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

Free Radical - duhhh.

#32 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Free Radical

Ensemble.

#33 Posted by obcdexter (648 posts) -

cavia - talk about creativity. Hopefully the big guns of that former ensemble will end up writing another story or two for future games.

#34 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -
@mandude said:

Free Radical

Ensemble.

#35 Posted by Mnemoidian (960 posts) -
#36 Posted by cutyoface (553 posts) -

Bizarre Creations, They made such great games.

#37 Edited by tescovee (362 posts) -

Black Isle Studios

Wow can't believe i am the first to mention them

#38 Posted by Pyso (19 posts) -

Bullfrog, no doubt. Never the same after EA destroyed acquired them.

#39 Posted by Icemael (6363 posts) -

It's between Clover and Nazca.

#40 Posted by themangalist (1747 posts) -

@Skytylz said:

@DrDarkStryfe said:

Ensemble Studios. I am a huge, huge fan of the Age of Empires series, and was pretty bummed out when it was announced that they would be shut down after Halo Wars came out.

Definitely Ensemble for me too. I want a real new Age of Empires!

I don't think that's possible. AoM was okay but AoC was legendary. Unless they make a sequel with Starcraft 2 level precision, I doubt I would want to play another loose 3d rts.

#41 Posted by Psykhophear (944 posts) -
#42 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1130 posts) -
@WickedFather
Free Radical - duhhh.
This is the right answer. Bizarre Creations and Pandemic are somewhat close seconds though.
#43 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

LJN

#44 Edited by Jeust (10852 posts) -
@LastNinja said:

Bullfrog :*(

I really miss Bullfrog. There isn't any studio quite like it. 
#45 Posted by Hosstile17 (768 posts) -

3D Realms - Not for the games. Certainly not for the games. But, for the crazy stories and rumors. That place was insane.

#46 Posted by Mecha_Gaming (3 posts) -
#47 Posted by Kaiserreich (740 posts) -

Westwood Studios, too bad EA gutted them.

#48 Posted by Amukasa (53 posts) -

Microprose......Sadface

#49 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@DrDarkStryfe said:

I agree, AOE is the only RTS game I've ever enjoyed.

#50 Edited by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -
  1. Westwood
  2. Bullfrog
  3. Black Isle