What is your favorite review score scale?

• 66 results
JordanSnyder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JordanSnyder
JordanSnyder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JordanSnyder

I'm not a big fan of review scores in general. If it's a game I'm interested in, I really only care about the review itself, but sometimes it's nice just looking at a bunch of scores at once. If I had to pick, though, I'd go with out of 10.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By zeforgotten

E: Because there's no letter up there saying anything about Buy, Rent, Leave Alone. 
But then again, only one show uses that as a "review score"  But it's at least better and there's not a lot to fight about.  

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10

Out of 5. Short and simple.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By General_D23

Wow, review scores have been quite a hot topic the last few days. 

I dislike scores in general too. However, the only site that I care about that does not use review scores is Kotaku. If I had to chose, I'd go letter grade.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd247d375aa3
deactivated-5fd247d375aa3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

100 because it can be really precise.. i dont really follow review scores but... E is kind of a lame answer..

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

None. I like to read.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Coltonio7

Love me some letter grades.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

i like the reviews to be a 1 out of 10 as it tells me if the game is good or not.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MeierTheRed

Think there are multiple topics about this. But anyhow. I like the rents,buy,skip system.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scooper

Out of 5 because it gives you an at a glance answer if you can't be bothered to read the whole review and it limits flaming console wars.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Dalai

I prefer the 10 scale myself, but I'm not picky.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Either the Krispy Cream Scale (try it, buy it, fry it) or Steven Colbert's Scale of Fruit (i.e. Batman AA was a perfect honeydew while Lucidity was a Strawberry)

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ

Actually, I prefer 3 stars: Sucks, is Okay, FANTASTIC!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

I like 4 stars with half stars. Add that up.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By AlexB

Out of 5. There is no difference between a 9. 3 and a 9.4. Really would that . 1 make you think any less of a game. It's really stupid.
The Out of 5 scale is really simple, and gets the point across. Everything else is a little too anal for my taste.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stang

Couldn't care less about a score, the actual review is what I am interested in.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Actually I hate 10 because some people will put 9.8 it was Awesome but I sadly couldn't change my hair colour to pink after I created my person.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Claude
@AlexB said:
" Out of 5. There is no difference between a 9. 3 and a 9.4. Really would that . 1 make you think any less of a game. It's really stupid. The Out of 5 scale is really simple, and gets the point across. Everything else is a little too anal for my taste. "
What's the point? We're a simple reviewing site of hardcore games. Giantbomb sold themselves short with their scoring system. They know how to define games. But alas, it adds to the clicks when there are metacritic scores of 100's, 60's and 40's. Good for you Giantbomb, beat that system.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince

Five point scale has grown on me.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#21  Edited By ImperiousRix

There's something just super easy to read about the letter grade.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Bass

The five star system works really well for me. if it's two stars or less, I normally steer completely clear of the game. If it is three stars, and I was interested in the game to begin with, I'll read the review and decide whether the game's flaws were important to what I was expecting out of the game (if i wasn't interested, this score doesn't help). A four star rating will normally cement my want for a game that I was already interested in, and i might check into it more if I wasn't already interested. At 5 stars, I know the game is great, it just depends on whether the game plays to my interests. For instance Forza 3 received a five star rating. I know that game is awesome; However, I also know that I don't particularly enjoy racing games, especially sim-type ones. So although Forza 3 is a great game, I won't buy it. If i was already interested in the game, It has pretty much been confirmed that Ill get it at that point.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#23  Edited By yetiantics

Heres the way i decipher some of those useless review scores: 

lets say for example, a lame decimal system. 

10.0 to 8.0 = Buy 
7.9 to 5.0 = Rent  (Cus sometimes a 5.0 rating game can give you easy achievements >_>)
4.9 to 0 = Stay The F Away
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By buzz_clik

Out of 5 for me. I like how the Giant Bomb rating doesn't get bogged down in minutiae. It's carved up into 5 different possible ratings that work on that gut-feeling level, rather than pretend that assigning a score is some arcane science.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By AlexB
@Claude said:
" @AlexB said:
" Out of 5. There is no difference between a 9. 3 and a 9.4. Really would that . 1 make you think any less of a game. It's really stupid. The Out of 5 scale is really simple, and gets the point across. Everything else is a little too anal for my taste. "
What's the point? We're a simple reviewing site of hardcore games. Giantbomb sold themselves short with their scoring system. They know how to define games. But alas, it adds to the clicks when there are metacritic scores of 100's, 60's and 40's. Good for you Giantbomb, beat that system. "
I just told you the point lol. Rating systems are just numerical representations of how good a game is. If you really want to find out why a game is good you then READ the review. The rating is just a symbol, it doesn't need to be complex.  

Terrible, Pretty bad but has merits, Average, Pretty good with few flaws, Great game. 
For a quick outlook of a game this is all I need until I read a review.
fingofongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fingofongo

I think anything more than out of 5 is bs, the process of determining the score of a game with such high precision is so difficult that it's pointless. Exactly what AlexB said, the differences between increments is minimal, and there's no way a reviewer can justify a 9.3 over a 9.4.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

out of 10... but i don't go by gb's 5 star system, I just read and make up my mind from that

imhuntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By imhuntad

None. It's all opinion. Putting a score on that is mainly just for the mass audience who needs the score. I just like reading the nice words on the page.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Red

Out of five because it gives me a quick briefing on how good the game generally is. If I'm interested, I'll read the whole review. Simple as that.

Gr1mace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gr1mace

I didn't vote because there's no EGM/Famitsu style review option. IMO that works best because you get a good idea about how a few people feel about the product, rather than just one all knowing opinion.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hitchenson
@loserkid962 said:
" 100 because it can be really precise.. i dont really follow review scores but... E is kind of a lame answer.. "
What's the difference in quality of game that's given a 78 and another that's given a 79? Seriously though, the /100 score is retarded beyond all belief.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By natetodamax

5 stars. I don't understand how a game can get a 7.25/10 or a 52/100.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#33  Edited By MachoFantastico

I've always thought the IGN format was pretty fair, even if the reviews are often biased and VERY one sided.  

I hate the 1UP format for reviewing games, it's total garbage all that A+, B- crap.  I do enjoy GB's format as it allowed for a quick reference, 4 stars is a good game worth a look and 5 stars is a must play. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By jakob187
@ZeForgotten said:
" E: Because there's no letter up there saying anything about Buy, Rent, Leave Alone. But then again, only one show uses that as a "review score"  But it's at least better and there's not a lot to fight about.   "
LOL  Funny you should mention that.  VGBlogger.com actually uses that exact scale of "Buy/Rent/Stay Away".
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By penguindust

They may not work to well internationally, but I like the letter grade scoring system.  Everyone in the States understands the difference between an "A: and an "F".  A "C" game might be worth a look in some gamers minds more than a "3 star" game would.  I know it's just semantics, but those subtle difference can effect our playing habits.  I would like it if the scale included the plus and minus supplements.  "A+" is a go out and buy it right now game, while "B-" might be you can wait for a sale but it's worth your time.  If you were to transpose this scale into numbers, as Metacritic likes to do, it would probably be a base-15 scale.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Griddler

People on this site will say out of 5, I don't really care.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By samcotts

Don't really care to be honest, any score scale will do, they all do their job equally well. If I were to start reviewing games though, I'd probably use out of 100 (or 10 with decimals).

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38  Edited By JonathanMoore

Out of 5 Personally.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Evilsbane

Anything beyond a 5 point is retarded

5: BUY IT BUY BUY IT I DON"T CARE WHO YOU ARE!!!

4. Its Really Good you should play it if its a game type you like

3. Eh they had some good ideas but they didn't pan out RENT

2. Oh sweet Jesus somewhere something went totally wrong.

1. MY EYES MY EYES.

What else do you need?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zeforgotten
@jakob187 said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" E: Because there's no letter up there saying anything about Buy, Rent, Leave Alone. But then again, only one show uses that as a "review score"  But it's at least better and there's not a lot to fight about.   "
LOL  Funny you should mention that.  VGBlogger.com actually uses that exact scale of "Buy/Rent/Stay Away". "

Yay! That makes two then :D 
EG and VGBlogger.com. Awesome.. 
It's a lot less troublesome to just be told to either buy, rent or stay away from a game. 
Stars are fucking pathetic. 
Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#41  Edited By Lazyaza

Review scores need to be done away with entirely, hell reviews in general I barely even care about any more, what sells me on a game is gameplay footage and podcasts these days.
All I need to know in order to decide on whether I want a game or not is A; its enjoyable and B; isn't broken. 

All the stuff about game length, number of weapons, graphical quality blah blah blah is all bullshit to me. If its fun its fun.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By kmdrkul

I like out of 100 scores, or out of ten with decimals.  The more precise, the better.  Certain "Four of out Five" games are simply better than others, and a score should not ignore that.

zgreenwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By zgreenwell
@JordanSnyder: People put way too much emphasis on a review score, but out of 10 is the easiest. Its the same as a 5 star system that allows half stars. The only reason I would say its better than 100 point system is then you don't have people arguing about a 96 (or 9.6) vs a 98 or a perfect 100. People are going to have different feelings on a game and debating tenths of a point is just nitpicking.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By eroticfishcake

Review scores have garnered some attention as of late havn't they? I don't really mind which system I use. I have a sligt preference towards a % scores but either way I don't mind.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By Hamst3r

Out of 4.

1. Didn't like it.
2. Liked some of it.
3. Liked most of it.
4. Loved it.

It's also about the enjoyment the reviewer had with the game instead of rating the game itself. If it doesn't affect the enjoyment of the game, it shouldn't affect the review score.

manurok1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By manurok1

Out of 10 because out of 5 is hard to distinguish which games are better if say about 10 all have 5/5. As for out of 100, It is too specific and how do you choose weather to give a game an 83 rather than an 84 for example.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By Hamst3r
@manurok1 said:

" Out of 10 because out of 5 is hard to distinguish which games are better if say about 10 all have 5/5. As for out of 100, It is too specific and how do you choose weather to give a game an 83 rather than an 84 for example. "

The issue I have with that is the text I've made bold. If you really enjoy two games, why does it matter which is, "better" ? What is better anyways and better in what way? If I've enjoyed playing two games a lot, does it really matter if one has better graphics or which one costs $50 vs. $40? Graphics age and prices drop. That's the kind of stuff that bugs me with review scores. imo they're rating the wrong things. :)
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48  Edited By Suicrat

Why no binary option?

This poll is bullshit.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mordukai

Didn't somebody already posted a poll like this a while back? 

Well anyways put me down for out of 5. 

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Out of 10, but WITHOUT decimals. No one seems to do this, if you are going to do 8.2 you might as well have it on a scale of 100. 5 isnt precise enough imo but 100 or 10 with decimals is way too precise.