• 146 results
#1 Edited by captain_max707 (490 posts) -

On the last TNT, Ryan and Brad talked about games that speak to you on a very personal level (Ryan was describing L.A. Noire, and how he absolutely loves the setting). This got me thinking about what "my" game is. I thought for about three seconds and then decided that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are mine (I know it's a franchise, but they are all very similar). I love everything about those games. The environments, the gameplay, Russia... It all just satisfies something in me that I can't really describe. I'm over 60 hours into my first playthrough of Call of Pripyat, and I haven't finished. 
So! Now it's your turn! What game speaks to you in a way that no other games do?  It doesn't have to be a huge commercial success, but it also doesn't have to be some tiny game nobody knows about. 

#2 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

Bioshock 1 and 2. Just something about those games, the characters, the atmosphere, the music, everything! Also Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood for similar reasons. (I'm an assassin)

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4508 posts) -

Unreal 2K4 and Championship 2 as far as multiplayer goes.

For sp games, it'd have to be Valkyria Chronicles by a mile.

#4 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Mass Effect. The choices, being able to get out of many gun point situations using dialogue over your gun, and of course that it feels like the trilogy is built by me through the choices carrying over from game to game. 

#5 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

Persona 4 specifically

or any JRPG in general, i love em
#6 Posted by X19 (2306 posts) -

Uncharted 2. Just the way it feels to play.

#7 Edited by SafetyFist (24 posts) -

The first Neverwinter Nights game and its expansions. I played the game online for many years and never got tired of it. I'd still be playing it today if it wasn't so hard to find people who still play on the server I like.

More recently though, Borderlands. Something about the game captivates me. Maybe it is because I grew up playing PC rpgs so I've become a bit of a loot addict. The artistic style, the humor, the gameplay, it's all just a great fit for what I look for in a game. It's the only game I've ever bought multiple times so that I could play on multiple platforms with friends. Even with the faults in the game (mainly the vanilla story and heavily repeated enemies) it fits me perfectly. In fact, I think I'll go play it now and continue to wait for a Borderlands 2.

#8 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

And probably Mass Effect if Bioware doesn't fuck up the third one. 
#9 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -

I'd either have to agree with your STALKER comment (I think I've spent a grand total of 150 hours in the universe, and I'm chomping at the bit for more) or go with the Shin Megami Tensei franchise. They all have there own unique quirks and subtleties, but in general the games are sort of like a "comfort game" for me, despite the difficulty the games can have. 

I think on some Active Time Babble the same thing was said; that PErsona 3 was a comfort game because of the in game characters and how you could easily become invested into the characters and how the gameplay itself functioned really well with the universe and characters, lore and all. I can sit down on any given weekend and start another run of any of the Persona games, or I can go and start up a 1st person run of SMTIII, or I can search around Amazon hoping to find the Devil Summoner copy that isn't 150$ so I can complete my collection. It's the whole package; the intense combat, the universe that branches into itself across multiple sub-franchises, the characters that are immediately relatable in almost all of the games.

I'm not going to go on a rant about the stories or the character specific plotlines that I love, but the general point is that the SMT franchise is something I fell in love with as a WRPG gamer (I still consider Diablo and ME two of my favorite franchises) that has changed my entire perspective on gaming as a whole and has cemented an entire genre of gaming into a series for me. I know what it is that speaks to me about these games on a personal level, but this post is already gi-fucking-gantic. 
#10 Posted by Spoonman671 (4636 posts) -

I'm looking at my game shelf and I can't pick one out of the crowd.  Sorry.

#11 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Battlefield 2 -

the greatest multiplayer experience ever created by man. it saddens me that i will never re-live it again for the rest of my life (in a newer installment)

Assassin's Creed 1

the greatest atmosphere in a video game, also - amazing visuals, badass protagonist
#12 Posted by SumDeus (1857 posts) -

Mass Effect. And NOT Mass Effect 2.

#13 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@SirOptimusPrime: you know what, sir, you just stole mine D: SMT and Stalker are fantastic, and I also have to add Alpha Protocol: Just the way the dialogue worked, and how the characters played off each other, made it a game that was instantly appealing to me in a personal level. Plus spies are dope
#14 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Oh god

MGS?

FFIX?

Silent Hill?

It's a tuff call

#15 Edited by Tebbit (4465 posts) -

System Shock 2, Unreal Tournament, and Shadow of the Colossus.

SS2 because it's tense, smart, cyber-punk, and has an excellent soundtrack.
Unreal Tournament because It's fast, bloody, and achieved a purity (or at least retained it) that future additions to the series never quite matched. Oh, and also, another bangin' soundtrack.
Shadow of the Colossus because it's solitary, bold, silently emotive and... has an amazing soundtrack.

These are "my" games, because "my game" has atmosphere, presence, a purity of design, which is exacted on the player without any unnecessary frills. Everything they deliver is there because it has to be.

And I fucking love good soundtracks in games. Quake II, Super Meat Boy, MGS1, FFVII, HL, you get runners-up status.

#16 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2007 posts) -
@Tebbit said:
And I fucking love good soundtracks in games. 
How did I miss this in my original post?!? STALKER's near lack-of-soundtrack + campfire medlies and Shoji Meguro are necessities for my post...ack. @Laketown said:
@SirOptimusPrime: you know what, sir, you just stole mine D: SMT and Stalker are fantastic, and I also have to add Alpha Protocol: Just the way the dialogue worked, and how the characters played off each other, made it a game that was instantly appealing to me in a personal level. Plus spies are dope
You know, I always meant to try that game. You seem to have pretty good taste ( ;D ) so maybe I'll go buy it next time I have the dough. 
#17 Posted by xyzygy (9989 posts) -

Mass Effect 1.

#18 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Mass Effect

#19 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

Zelda. Ever since I played Link to the Past, I've loved exploring Hyrule (or some other named land with the same style) and fighting my way through dungeons to unlock a new tool to fight enemies with. I'm one of those people who continue to support Zelda regardless of how similar each iteration is to the previous ones. I just never get tired of the formula, no matter how many times I've played through it. It's that magic recipe that gives me exactly what I want. 

#20 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Yo Half-Life.

mebe GTA IV or Metal Gear Solid.

#21 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -

The World Ends With You. I immediately found the main character to be relatable; I love the themes of friendship, death and betrayal; I enjoy any game that has a sort of daily progression (Devil Survivor, Catherine, Persona 3/4...); I like Japan as well as a setting in which the characters are placed in a deadly game or area where they can't escape (Battle Royale, 999, Devil Survivor...); I like JRPGs, especially ones set in a modern setting; I like the usage of pins, clothes and fashion in relation to the battle system; I appreciated the unconventional battle system; I liked the game's artstyle and music and I enjoyed the story.

#22 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -
@SirOptimusPrime: Yeah, I loved that about the original Stalker (didn't play any of the others). It gave you a real sense of "place".
#23 Posted by Agent47 (1896 posts) -

I would say Zelda but already been said so I go with Fallout 3's setting.So immersive and interesting.And I never expeirence bugs or glitches the first playthrough I did so it was a double plus for me.It wasn't until I realized the game was so buggy way later on that it kind of killed the immersion for me.

#24 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5827 posts) -

Persona 3.

One of the only games that I've been genuinely sad to finish.

#25 Posted by dr_pineapple (197 posts) -

Jak and Daxter series (first 3). Those games were the games of my childhood.

#26 Posted by GunstarRed (5182 posts) -

The Ratchet games, I love the design of the robots, aliens, spaceships and worlds Insomniac create, and am really fond of the cartoony, action-adventure style it has. The humour is also something that clicks with me in those games, and I love the huge cast of varied characters that inhabit that universe. All of that and who doesnt love insane guns and huge explosions.
#27 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

If modern only- Fallout 3.

Overall- Streets of Rage 2 and Dynamite Headdy are the best games ever made for me.
#28 Posted by Animasta (14691 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: this just makes me wish for a battle royale game, it would be SWEET
#29 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

That's a tough one...considering what games I've played most in the past few years, I'd have to say Fallout 3 and New Vegas I suppose.

#30 Posted by Kazona (3067 posts) -

If I really had to pick one, I would say Outcast. That was the very first game that really immersed me into its world, fiction, and characters while still having a (mostly) open world for you to explore full of side quests and exploration. 

#31 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Used to be fallout, but after reading Roadside picnic and watching Stalker by Tarkovsky, how could Stalker not be my favorite series of games?

#32 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19339 posts) -
@Laketown: Ever since I saw Battle Royale years ago, I've been thinking how great a video game of it would be like. I even wrote a real short design doc. for it once. It could be an amazing title.
#33 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Mario Galaxy, it has everything I want from a videogame and space is a fun place.

#34 Posted by VoshiNova (1688 posts) -

Duuuude, gotta go with Thief: Deadly Shadows on original xbox.

but, Bioshock comes to mind as well

#35 Posted by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2, Backyard Baseball, and The Warriors. 

#36 Posted by BaneFireLord (2935 posts) -

The Elder Scrolls.

#37 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3091 posts) -

It's a run up between Silent Hill (1 and 3 only) and the Shin Megami Tensei series and some of the spinoffs.  I could really play through those games almost endlessly with a smile on my face.

#38 Edited by Althox (293 posts) -

I have one game that I refer to every time I talk about games and their story telling, and lore build up. And that game is Grandia 2. The characters express feelings, that throughout the game, changes. Even with it's maybe not incredible voice acting, it gets the message through to the audience, and with the events that occur, delivers an incredible feeling and compassion for the characters.
It's not just the story that makes it such an attractive game, it's the gameplay. The style of gameplay differs from many JRPG's that's out on the market, especially with it's own way of dealing with combat timers and tactics.

Oh and of course Diablo 1-2, awesome games that they are, certainly creates a place on my "Awesome Games"-List. ;)

#39 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2721 posts) -

Persona 3, RE4 and MGS3.

Love those games very dearly.
#40 Edited by Helimocopter (369 posts) -

Fucking oblivion, and hopefully skyrim when that comes out
killed SO many fucking mudcrabs

Maybe Red Dead Redemption, I adore any sort of western setting
#41 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:
Yo Half-Life.
Never would have guessed :P.

As for me, shouldn't it be obvious?
#42 Posted by RadixNegative2 (520 posts) -

Pharaoh

#43 Edited by MatPaget (1115 posts) -

I would have to say L.A Noire and inFamous.
L.A. Noire speaks directly to my soul of wanting to be a detective. inFamous also made me feel like a super hero, something that I've dreamed of my whole life. 

Both games made me feel totally bad ass in ways that I've dreamed of. You could throw in Red Dead Redemption too.

#44 Edited by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Streets of Rage 2, or maybe Bionic Commando ReArmed. Those games are so doofy, late-80s early-90s, funky music and really care-free attitude to any story or characters. There's no drama up in here!

Those games hit the ground running, totally love what they are, and just dedicate themselves to celebrating the good times.

#45 Edited by HisDudeness (252 posts) -

MGS3, No One Lives Forever 2. I just love 60's espionage setting. Also Max Payne 2

edit: also Elder Scrolls 4 how could I forget that!
#46 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

Assassins Creed 2 and Brotherhood.  

I loved walking around Rome in brotherhood just staring at the ancient ruins. I liked it more then when i was actually in Rome because of the Renaissance backdrop.
#47 Posted by mrhankey (695 posts) -
@captain_max707 said:
On the last TNT, Ryan and Brad talked about games that speak to you on a very personal level (Ryan was describing L.A. Noire, and how he absolutely loves the setting). This got me thinking about what "my" game is. I thought for about three seconds and then decided that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are mine (I know it's a franchise, but they are all very similar). I love everything about those games. The environments, the gameplay, Russia... It all just satisfies something in me that I can't really describe. I'm over 60 hours into my first playthrough of Call of Pripyat, and I haven't finished.  So! Now it's your turn! What game speaks to you in a way that no other games do?  It doesn't have to be a huge commercial success, but it also doesn't have to be some tiny game nobody knows about. 
You and me both bud!
#48 Posted by Daiphyer (1337 posts) -

It's a tough choice between Mass Effect 2 and Battlefield. Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 are gonna RUIN MY LIFE! I am already planning an explanation for my girlfriend. "Uhh, yea see, there are these games coming out, uhh ... soo yeah I can't see you anymore, kthxbye."

#49 Posted by Yummylee (21642 posts) -

Resident Evil 2. I love everything, and know everything, there is to know about that game. <3

#50 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2687 posts) -

Mass Effect.

or maybe Half Life.