What is your "white whale" of gaming?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ShaggE

I've been thinking about games that I had wanted for years as a kid, finally got my hands on, then immediately disliked/horribly failed at/just never finished. Most of these games are now rare, and too obscure to be prolific on eBay or archived on abandonware sites, so it makes it difficult to finally get closure.  

So I ask you, what are your white whales, and did you ever get to finish them?  

Mine is /maabus/61-8012/. A demo disc I owned had a trailer for it that was mind-bendingly cheesy, yet awesome.  

Seriously, just watch it.  

It was an ecologically themed adventure game with proto-QTEs and a bizarre plot, and it played like pureed ass. I lost the discs years ago, and while it is available through some websites, I'm not sure if I want to face that disappointment again just yet. But mark my words, I WILL finish it one of these days.  
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mfpantst

the asteroid sequence of Dead Space and the first boss level of Descent.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijo. I found it easily, but the hard part is beating it. Why? A glitch that prevents a cutscene from finishing. I've tried everything I could, but nothing has worked. Someday, I will beat it, though.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Shaunage

Enemy Zero, Burning Rangers etc.

For a kid in Australia, a lot of the best Saturn games only theoretically existed.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By melcene
@ShaggE: For your Giantbomb game link, press the link button on the toolbar within your post - in the bottom box, fill in the name of the game.  A drop down should appear with suggestions matching the name you typed in.  Select the one you want - voila! Auto-linked.  For the Youtube link, click the Insert button for the dropdown menu, select video, and enter your youtube link in the box.  Voila again!
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShaggE
@melcene said:
@ShaggE: For your Giantbomb game link, press the link button on the toolbar within your post - in the bottom box, fill in the name of the game.  A drop down should appear with suggestions matching the name you typed in.  Select the one you want - voila! Auto-linked.  For the Youtube link, click the Insert button for the dropdown menu, select video, and enter your youtube link in the box.  Voila again!
Many thanks. Maabus is still showing up weird, but better than the full link.  

Sad thing is, I've actually posted YouTube videos here before... no idea where my brain is today, haha.
phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By phish09

I've bought and sold Oblivion three times now, because I want to get into it, then I can't get into it, then I want to try again, but I just can't it's too boring...but now they're releasing a 5th anniversary edition, so maybe I'll try it again.  4th times a charm, right?  I really want to enjoy that game, but the whole "gates of oblivion" thing is so stupid and the combat feels so janky and every cave and every environment feels the same...and then there is the terrible voice acting and character designs.  I just love open world games though.  I love the freedom in Oblivion...I just wish I could choose to do things that weren't boring as hell. 

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Baten Kaitos. I got to a boss battle about midway through the game and simply didn't have enough cards to win (and of course I was trapped up in an airship, so I had no way of getting any more cards)

Thankfully I still own the game, but I don't see how I'm going to make time for a Gamecube JRPG these days.
Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Nux
@melcene said:

I was wondering how to do that link stuff myself. Thanks.
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phish09 said:
I've bought and sold Oblivion three times now, because I want to get into it, then I can't get into it, then I want to try again, but I just can't it's too boring...but now they're releasing a 5th anniversary edition, so maybe I'll try it again.  4th times a charm, right?  I really want to enjoy that game, but the whole "gates of oblivion" thing is so stupid and the combat feels so janky and every cave and every environment feels the same...and then there is the terrible voice acting and character designs.  I just love open world games though.  I love the freedom in Oblivion...I just wish I could choose to do things that weren't boring as hell. 
Pro tip: never do Oblivion gates. Ever. The only reason they're ever worth doing is if the main quest MAKES you do them, or if you really want a Sigil Stone for the constant effect enchantment. Other than that, ignore them.

In fact, just skip the main quest. There are much better quest lines you could be doing, like the Dark Brotherhood.
musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By musclerider

Culdcept Saga.  
Bought it and made it to the third stage and then just gave up because I don't have time to play monopoly against computers. 
That was two years ago so I decided to give it another chance and realized that I still don't have time to play monopoly against computers.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob
@phish09 said:
I felt the same way until I realised that I should just ignore the boring shit and do what I want. Like punching things in the Arena.
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By craigbo180

I have never finished Ocarina of Time. 
I have never played GTA III.

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kingclaw

Bioshock. It was the first game I bought for my PS3, even before get it. Don't like it at all. It was in december 2009.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShaggE
@phish09 said:
Oh man, I hear ya. I want to love it so much, but I just... can't. I can't deal with early Gamebryo engine anymore. 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By crusader8463
Vanguard Bandits. There is a super secret alternate story line that you can play only after you beat the game 4 or 5 consecutive times and each time getting one of the different endings in a certain order. Then on the next play through you need to make a certain choice at some point in the game and you get to go on this whole super secret side quest line that's something like half the game in a completely different part of the world. 

I would love to have this sitting on my shelf too, but they are like $100+ a pop on EBAY, and that's just way too much money.
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By tebbit

After what had been one of the best games ever made, I was really, really excited for Final Fantasy VIII. I got about half way through, nothing about the story had gripped me, the music was boring, the combat systems were a little vague, and overly complex.

I think that was the first time I asked to nobody in particular: "why didn't they just remake Final Fantasy VII?".

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TobbRobb

Yeah, oblivion for me too... At least I did dark brotherhood. But the main quest suuuuuuuucks.

PieGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PieGuy

Demon's Souls. I completed with a friend who is obsessed with the game, I really can't wrap my head around it. I've experienced all the levels but on my own I can't get far, I get lost and then owned. I have no idea what is happening in terms of story, I want to get into it but I can't.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3
Tomba: Played the demo and liked it well enough, but money was tight so I never got around to buying it. Here's hoping rumors come true and it's released on PSN. 
Final Fantasy VII: Without getting in to too much detail, I've had the game since it came out, have started it from the beginning at least three times, and have yet to actually finish it (I've gotten to the third disc at least once)
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Gabriel

Beating Seth on the hardest difficulty without continuing.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Age of Empires II. 

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thegoldencat7
@Gabriel said:
Beating Seth on the hardest difficulty without continuing.

Have you tried putting it down to 1 round, and then just spamming Zangief's lariat like an idiot, cos' thats how I did it.
elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#25  Edited By elyk247

final fantasy tactics  

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King said:
Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijo. I found it easily
You found it easily cause you emulated you dishonest person.....I'm turning you in to the authorities.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#27  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Unknown_Pleasures

You're assuming that it's hard to find the game without emulation. Let's test that assumption. *does so* Appears on the first page of this Google search.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Karl_Boss
@Video_Game_King

You STOLE Mystic Ark! You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!
WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WarlordPayne

Maabus really is terrible.  I found it in some bargain bin years ago, played it once, and then stuck it in a box and tried to forget about it. 

My white whale is The 7th Saga for the SNES.  I rented it when it came out but got kinda stuck so I returned it without beating it.  I forgot about it for a long time then, for whatever reason, I decided that I really wanted to play it again so I'd check every used SNES game any time I went to a game store.  After years of doing that I finally found the game around 8 or so years ago.  Unfortunately that game is so damned grind heavy that I'd invariably get annoyed with it and put the game away for a couple of years until the urge to play it struck me again.  I played it earlier this year and got to the last castle before stopping.  One more time and it'll be all over.  

gamedismantler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By gamedismantler

For the longest time it was Lunar Silver Star Story Complete but I finally went back to it and finished it. I had gotten to the last boss but barely. Once I was there I was stuck fighting him but I hadn't leveled up enough and I didn't have enough items to get back down through the dungeon that would allow me to level up. On top of that it was my only save so I had to restart it all over again and leveled up enough to the point that I beat the last boss in a couple of minutes. 

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The zombie genocide achievement from l4d I got up to around 50,000 and then an update wiped it out

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By beej
@ShaggE: that music...
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Bollard
@528seven said:
@phish09 said:
Pro tip: never do Oblivion gates. Ever. The only reason they're ever worth doing is if the main quest MAKES you do them, or if you really want a Sigil Stone for the constant effect enchantment. Other than that, ignore them.  In fact, just skip the main quest. There are much better quest lines you could be doing, like the Dark Brotherhood.
Yeah just do the Guilds (specifically Thieves and Dark Brotherhood). They're the best content. 

And you can skip most of the gates. Or, make five pieces of armour with 20% enchantment for invisibility on each item, and then walk through them. Way more fun!
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Chavtheworld said:
@528seven said:
@phish09 said:
Pro tip: never do Oblivion gates. Ever. The only reason they're ever worth doing is if the main quest MAKES you do them, or if you really want a Sigil Stone for the constant effect enchantment. Other than that, ignore them.  In fact, just skip the main quest. There are much better quest lines you could be doing, like the Dark Brotherhood.
Yeah just do the Guilds (specifically Thieves and Dark Brotherhood). They're the best content.  And you can skip most of the gates. Or, make five pieces of armour with 20% enchantment for invisibility on each item, and then walk through them. Way more fun!
I also recommend the Daedric Lord quests, which you get at the respective shrines for each Lord. Good variety. (Boethia's sucks, but you get Goldbrand)
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShaggE
@beej said:
@ShaggE: that music...
Hehe, indeed. When the apocalypse comes, it shall be heralded by that song. 
Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Catolf

Right now it's Demon Souls... I really want to like this game (and I do) it's just so hard...

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By napalm

"White whale" must be a European thing, because I've never heard that term, and Google turns up nothing except for white whales. 

I assume by the responses in this thread, it means games you have yet to finish, but started at some point. I suppose Streets Of Rage 3 is mine since I've never beaten it on normal. I've gotten to the final boss and the timer times out before I can beat him.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Dogma

I never completed Lemmings 2: The Tribes on SNES. I have one medallion left and all I have to do is beat the last or second to last level on Classic to advance but I could not figure out how to complete that lever with only one lemming left.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Napalm: It's a literature thing. The white whale refers to Moby Dick. 
Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Khadyn

Final Fantasy X...I have tried 3 times to finish this game but, just that f***ing Tidus voice and his overall whiny, bitching attitude makes me cringe and wanna punch babies...

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JazGalaxy

A few things: 

I don't understand the Oblivion hate. That game is amazing and responsible for more than a few of my favorite videogame momentes. 

2) My brother and I just finished legend of the mystical ninja on the SNES after  about 20 years of attempts. That was our white whale, and I'm a little said it's over. 

My current white whale is Ultima 9. That game got a lot of crap, but it was lightyears ahead of it's time and so advanced that I had a hard time enjoying Zelda 64 when it came out because it was gettign a lot of praise for beinga far inferior game. Ultimately the bugs ruined the game, and I couldn't even finish it, even though I was having the time of my life, due to a bug that would ultimately have made me resart my whole quest over again from the beginning.
Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zippedbinders
@Napalm said:
"White whale" must be a European thing, because I've never heard that term, and Google turns up nothing except for white whales.  I assume by the responses in this thread, it means games you have yet to finish, but started at some point. I suppose Streets Of Rage 3 is mine since I've never beaten it on normal. I've gotten to the final boss and the timer times out before I can beat him.
Its referring to Captain Ahab's hate of, and desire to search for, the white whale Moby Dick. So really, this thread should be about games you once had in your possession, but never finished and were removed from your collection (one way or another), now making it harder to obtain and get closure for. 

Silent Bomber is probably my example, I played the Japanese demo for it ages ago on an OPM demo disc, but I finally went and bought that game on Amazon a few years ago, still completely awesome. Earthbound might be another, but Nintendo won't put it on Virtual Console and I'm sure as hell not paying $120 for a used copy on the internet.
skinnyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By skinnyman

I was a kid when The Phantom Menace came out and got totally excited for the game. Then I got stuck on the level where Obi-Wan has to jump through an obstacle course of columns that drop into the ground as soon as he lands on them and never finished it. I'm afraid if I went back and played it again now I would discover that the game is terrible.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By PerryVandell

Battletoads, because fuck that second level.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JazGalaxy

@zippedbinders, you should just pirate Earthbound. One because Nintendo hasn't given you an alternative and 2 because it's the only way to play that game now. It's a grind heavy game and being able to speed up the emulation makes it that much more fun for a modern player. I bought the game on the SNES, but I still prefer to play it emulated when I have the opportunity to choose. 

ALso, Mother 3 for the GBA si oen fo the most emotional games I've ver seen.
Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zippedbinders
@JazGalaxy said:
@zippedbinders, you should just pirate Earthbound. One because Nintendo hasn't given you an alternative and 2 because it's the only way to play that game now. It's a grind heavy game and being able to speed up the emulation makes it that much more fun for a modern player. I bought the game on the SNES, but I still prefer to play it emulated when I have the opportunity to choose.  ALso, Mother 3 for the GBA si oen fo the most emotional games I've ver seen.
I absolutely have, same with Mother 3. I just don't like playing it on an emulator and I honestly want to give Nintendo my money to play it. 

I don't care if its a VC or a full re-release, just sell me the damn game so I don't have to find alternate means.
BadCriticism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BadCriticism

IWBTG!