#1 Posted by miikelzelda (25 posts) -

I've always been a lurker, never really posted anywhere, but this question has been pressing me so much I had to ask it.

I'm honestly asking this question without passive aggression or any mean tone: What sort of a person are you to endure certain games like The Stanley Parable and Dark Souls?

Don't get me started on Dark Soul's ridiculous expectations of me, but I will talk about The Stanley Parable. I just played it for exactly 60 minutes, I tried every path that was laid out for me until there were no more, and then the game started from the office again. Am I supposed to go forth again and keep experimenting with everything I just did trying to find the new path into new things I haven't seen?

Aside from those who are madly hell-bent on finishing notorious games to boast about it/be able to discuss them online, or those who are hell-bent on achievements and such, what kind of a person has the patience to go through maddening repetition in one game, or extremely punishing outcomes in another?

I realize we're all "non-casual gamers" here for the lack of a better label, we have the determination and skill to dive deep into these games and ace them, but there's a limit! I'm a man who has played games for 17 years, I've beaten dozens and experienced hundreds of them, but these games, they are supposed to irritate a sane human being. I can't fathom how you have the energy, patience and most of all the MOTIVE to be fucked with like this.

Please describe yourself, your psyche and your train of thought while experiencing these irritating, repetitive and maddeningly-vague games, and how you're able to stick with them and defeat them. You people seem like aliens with nerves of steel to me. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

Thank you in advance :)

#2 Edited by ElixirBronze (413 posts) -

I don't play much video games at all to be honest (maybe finish one every month on average), and I enjoyed the hell out of Dark Souls..

I feel like most games aren't made for me anymore. Bioshock infinite, Saint's row 4, GTA V are some of the games I wanted to finish this year because the story intrigued me. But I just couldn't because of boring ass combat that made it just feel like a repetitive slog hunt for the next cutscene. For some reason, Dark Souls really stood out in that regard to me.

#3 Posted by Belegorm (335 posts) -

Can't speak for the stanley parable since I haven't played it, but for dark souls... the game's actually not nearly as hard as everyone makes it out to be.

Okay, so the first several hours of the game you'll be bashing your head on the wall, but after that when you get accustomed to the controls and understand enemies' patterns it's fairly easy (with the exception of certain boss fights if you go it solo).

It's more of an oldschool game design; I just finished super ghouls 'n ghosts on the snes. People call that an incredibly hard game, and I died within the first 10 seconds of the first level for a while, but I got familiar with the controls, the way arthur moves, the kinds of patterns the enemies move in, then just did it.

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (7899 posts) -

Since most people who have played them seem to have at least a passing appreciation for The Stanley Parable and Dark Souls, perhaps a more prescient question would be "what is wrong with you?"

#5 Posted by Aetheldod (3494 posts) -

Over 25 years of gaming experience is what wrong with me :D

Actually you are the casual gamer ... what is wrong with you >:3?

#6 Posted by csl316 (7949 posts) -

I just answered this in another thread a couple days ago, so let me just copy that over. I'm 28, been playing games since I was 5. I like challenges:

"One, you really have to dig into the mechanics of the game. If I start on hard, I can kinda blast through it. But on super hard, I have to think and strategize and take advantage of things I didn't even know existed. Most apparent in character action games.

Two, the thrill of accomplishment. Everywhere in life, I look for challenges because I love to overcome them. Finishing a section in The Last of Us may be draining, but making it through felt great.

Three, longetivity. Instead of flying through some five hour campaign, it'll inevitably add some hours to your playtime. I prefer short games as I'm older but this was always helpful when I had less money.

Four, game's are really the only things that challenge me anymore after grad school (aside from guitar stuff). It makes me feel alive!!"

#7 Edited by HH (595 posts) -

Classic Ironman on Xcom Enemy Within is currently owning my ass with it's dumb roll-a-miss useless ASSHOLE soldiers, and yeah it makes me angry sometimes

but I tried turning off ironman a couple of days ago and the edge was gone, it didn't really matter whether i put a soldier in one place or another because i could just reload if things went wrong.

having consequences adds tension, it makes the whole thing a lot more vivid. and to me that's more important than beating or finishing a game.

#8 Posted by mems1224 (165 posts) -

I didn't like Dark Souls. I thought it was boring. Really slow paced and a lot of trial and error. Didn't like the art design either and I didn't care for the combat but I understand why it is the way it is. I like a lot of different kinds of games but I usually dont care for "hard" games because Im just not that patient enough for them anymore.

#9 Posted by Devise22 (202 posts) -

If a game has some hidden difficulty to it I generally find it to be more enjoyable. In the case of Stanley Parable getting stuck and trying to figure out what to do just makes me more interested in figuring it out. Simply because it is not often you get stumped.

Dark Souls is simply memory patterns combined with nailing controls/gameplay elements. It is a fantastic game to be sure, but it is one of those games that the more you play it the better you are going to get at it. Most modern games give you a small tutorial on a usually familiarized pallete of controls and gameplay styles and you play through the few new things that the specific game brings to the table and are able to master very easily. Dark Souls has a high barrier of entry, as when you start it takes some getting used to. But once you get used to it instead of just levelling off you begin to uncover some depth to the many layers of the games systems.

#10 Posted by LackingSaint (1764 posts) -

You can like some aspects of games while being critical of other aspects. That's basically the only way you can possibly go back and appreciate the classics; understand that there are certain limitations or poor design choices that are of that era. Mass Effect 1 was a great game; driving the Mako is the worst.