#1 Edited by LotusKing (14 posts) -

In games like the Elder Scrolls series, the Dragon Age and Fallout, really any game with an extensive character creator, what kinds of avatars do you manufacture? Specifically, what do you try to make them look like physically?

Do you try to recreate your own image? Glorify yourself in the digital form? Or do you go for something completely different?

Personally, I try to make more grandiose looking versions of myself. My main Skyrim character is a Burly Red-guard, complete with dreadlocks and my Commander Shepherd is a sexy brown man.

#2 Posted by Capum15 (4808 posts) -

Usually just "Dude" and "Lady", average or small height. Eye / hair color, skin tone, all those tend to vary with whatever I think looks nice at that moment.

#3 Posted by SgtSphynx (1262 posts) -

It varies from game to game, but usually I just go with whatever looks cool to me at the time. For games that have a default male design (Mass Effect,) I'll use that. Occasionally, I will make a slightly exaggerated version of myself.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (35981 posts) -
#5 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

The first thing I check is there is a glorious mustache for the male character. If yes, then I go all out and try to essentially recreate overly manly man. If not, then I essentially just do generic good looking bro/lady.

#6 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Any time I try to make it look like something, it doesn't really turn out. So I just fuck about with it until it looks like something I'd like. Usually ends up looking pretty ridiculous.

#7 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

Black men

#8 Posted by hott8bitaction (10 posts) -

If it involves saving the world somehow I go with mildly exaggerated versions of myself... probably due to my delusions of grandeur.

However, I have recently been trying to use different types of avatars for instance Skyrim: Female Orc Two-Handed Warrior and Dragon Age I used a City Elf Mage.

#9 Edited by Animasta (14648 posts) -

I usually go for random cultured ladies, whose names I usually pick out from cultures.txt from CK2.

#10 Posted by BoG (5181 posts) -

It goes in this order:

1. Characters that resemble me as closely as possible

2. The hottest possible female I can create

What else does one need?

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

Something that fits with the skeletal narrative I create for it. Not really RPing but when I make a character I think of how I want to act towards people in the world and then imagine what it would look like from there.

#12 Posted by casper_ (901 posts) -

i prefer elf/non human. i usually make a girl, make her look super evil and always start as a rogue or assasin type build then do a wizard or if its elder scrolls i just make a nightblade.

then i just act like a total dick.

#13 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

I always make me and name them after me. With games like dynasty warriors 7 empires, where you can make 100's of extra characters, I'll be making me and my friends into an unstoppable army! Mwaha

#14 Posted by wemibelec90 (1546 posts) -

I make ladies, mostly. Usually, they have ponytails of varying colors, a decently cute face with attractive eyes, and a much smaller bust size than what is usually the default. Given a choice between male and female, I ALWAYS choose female, because I find it more interesting. As for names, I either pick from my stable of names I've used in the past or use a random gen to pick up one.

#15 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2210 posts) -

I'm a vain person when it comes to video games so I always want my female avatar looking her best but in games like Elder Scrolls or Fallout once you put on head gear it no longer matters, something KoA: Reckoning got right with the hide helmet option.

#16 Edited by Pr1mus (3805 posts) -
@bog said:

It goes in this order:

1. Characters that resemble me as closely as possible

2. The hottest possible female I can create

What else does one need?

I usually go straight to step 2.

#17 Posted by Grand (53 posts) -

One of several depending on the role.

A - If I am a berserk type warrior, I make myself big, rough, dirty and wild looking. I'm the guy that's going to tear out your lungs and strangle you with them, just because it's faster than tying a rope around you.

B - If I am a more knightly type dude, think of the most goody two-shoes but likable Disney character. Go for the "handsome red ranger" type thing. Normal human build, but muscular, with well kept facial hair.

C - For a rogue, I'm smaller, with devilish hair in general (probably long) and generally looks like I'd stab you in the back. Think of it as gentle man devil.

D - If I am a spell caster it depends. I'm either a old, powerful wise magus or a young brash moron with a wand. So I either go Gandalf or harry potter. I'll give you 5 seconds for the obligatory laughs.

#18 Edited by Aetheldod (3509 posts) -

I make what i would have liked to be if I was born female (yeah it sound weird but is the truth) ... a hot looking blond blue eyes (or purple if the game allows it) small bust , ass kicking warrior/valkyrie (or whatever the game´s version of it is ... for example a Vanguard in ME games) chick that takes no for an answer and deals punishment on site (think of it as a judge from judge Dredd or a glorified knight)...... Im weird im afraid ;_;

#19 Posted by 49th (2687 posts) -

I mainly aim to make myself or something that will be funny.

#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@c2c said:

The first thing I check is there is a glorious [beard or] mustache for the male character

I do the same thing. Sometimes games let me put those features on ladies. I usually really enjoy those games.

Here's to hoping beard and mustache technology makes some leaps with the next console generation.

#21 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Handsome men

#22 Posted by bitchypixels (67 posts) -

Since I have a horrible sense of self, I usually just create whatever I think is high on the bad-assery charts at the time.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

I'm totally original. I either create a big, burly, ugly-ass manly-man with a beard for the ages, or a beautiful woman.

Yeah, nobody else does that, right?

#24 Edited by mikey87144 (1663 posts) -

In games like the Elder Scrolls series, the Dragon Age and Fallout, really any game with an extensive character creator, what kinds of avatars do you manufacture? Specifically, what do you try to make them look like physically?

Do you try to recreate your own image? Glorify yourself in the digital form? Or do you go for something completely different?

Personally, I try to make more grandiose looking versions of myself. My main Skyrim character is a Burly Red-guard, complete with dreadlocks and my Commander Shepherd is a sexy brown man.

This kind of. I wanted to play a Nord in Skyrim like I did Oblivion but couldn't get him to look right. For all games that allow customization I tend to create a facsimile of myself.

#25 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

Hot mages. Always hot mages.

#26 Edited by seamus85 (116 posts) -

mostly dudes that look like me and women that look like what ever girl i am dating at the time

#27 Edited by Dixego (380 posts) -

I follow that old rule that goes "If I'm gonna be looking at a character's butt for 40 hours, it might as well be a woman".
So I usually make hot ladys.

#28 Posted by marbleCmoney (450 posts) -

I almost never try to make my character look like me. If there's a non-human option available I'll probably take that, and if there isn't I usually just make a dude that I think looks alright. I don't usually put a lot of effort into making my character.

#30 Edited by Miketakon (513 posts) -

Depends on the mood i'm in.

Mass Effect - I stuck with regular ass Shep.

Skyrim - I was Redguard because it look the best with face paint.

Fallout 3- I was an Asian Greaser because I had been watching Crows Zero.

Oblivion - I was Argonian since they can breath under water.

Demon's Souls- I was Barbarian because...why not?

Saints Row 3- My dude always wore a luchador mask and suit.

#31 Edited by MeganeAgain (123 posts) -

I generally make attractive female characters with short hair (and if the game allows, glasses).

But other times, I'll make some weathered, badass bearded dudes. I love how my bearded retro-cop Shepard turned out.

As for classes, I tend to gravitate toward ranger types. Guns, bows, or maybe some magic.

#32 Edited by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

@penguindust The hottest of mages, if you catch my drift.

I usually create females, because if I have to stare at someone's ass for 100+ hours like in most RPGs I don't want for it to be a big burly man's ass.

#33 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4148 posts) -

I'm a little boring. Although.. I probably do the 5 foot Mexican-brown man, with a burly brown beard, that eventually winds up losing himself to purple or pink hair, and bad ass brown robes.

@grimluck343 said:

I usually create females, because if I have to stare at someone's ass for 100+ hours like in most RPGs I don't want for it to be a big burly man's ass.

Well. I'd rather be a guy fucking a woman, than be a woman being fucked by a guy. But that's just me.. ~ No offense there, sir.

#34 Edited by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -
#35 Edited by brownsfantb (389 posts) -

I usually try and make myself which almost always turns out terribly. For whatever reason, I'm pretty bad at creating characters. I changed my Shepherd in each Mass Effect because I thought he looked dumb.

#36 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4148 posts) -

@grimluck343: Shit! Haha! RPG's dammit.. ~ I've tried ME2, with a skinny girl with jet black hair. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't hit on Jacob, Garrus just didn't cut it. I hated Kaiden.. ~ I would have a joke with my friend a while ago, where I would shoot Kaiden past the trash compactor if I cornered him in ME2. It was pretty mean now that I think of it. Its probably just the hair.

#37 Edited by Grimluck343 (1148 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 Yeah I know what you mean it does get a little weird in games where you get to pick someone to have sexy time with.

#38 Edited by odintal (1095 posts) -

In Fallout 3, shortly after the death of Billy Maze, I created him as the vault dweller. I focused on charisma and perception using explosives (KABOOM) and hording Abraxo cleaner. I also had a wicked addiction to Jet.

In Skyrim I made WWE wrestler HHH using two handed hammers and unarmed. Dumped some into speech since he can deliver a pretty damn good promo.

#39 Edited by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@grimluck343 said:

Well. I'd rather be a guy fucking a woman, than be a woman being fucked by a guy. But that's just me.. ~ No offense there, sir.

I usually get around that by making all my characters lesbians. Hot magic-wielding lesbians.

#40 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4148 posts) -

@penguindust: Ah, yea but I like to think about real life. Would this happen in real life in a world of dragons? I doubt it.. they're just too hot, you just don't see those in the wild, man..

#41 Posted by Scrawnto (2434 posts) -

@penguindust: Ah, yea but I like to think about real life. Would this happen in real life in a world of dragons? I doubt it.. they're just too hot, you just don't see those in the wild, man..

It's called fantasy for a reason, man!

But yeah, I definitely make a lot of red-headed lady characters. It's generally not feasible to make a character that looks like me, with my Italian nose and my scrawniness.

#42 Posted by Poppduder (460 posts) -

Chaotic good. Closely resembling me, but that's not very doable most of the time.