#1 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

What you see here is Kinect's IR laser reflecting light off surfaces at extreme speed so it looks static but they're probably flashing extremely quickly.
#2 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

And a a month later kincet will be recalled for causing cancer. 

#3 Posted by Akeldama (4239 posts) -

Wow...good find. Today confirmed Kinect is complete trash for me. Thanks Giant Bomb!

#4 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Weird. I hope it's not intense enough to damage users eyes.

#5 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Jesus christ, that's insane. 

So that's how they track our motions, by blasting a million little light dots in the room.

#6 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5251 posts) -

I'm totally down with the tech of it all, and aside from Your Shape and Dance Central, there really wasn't much pulling me in. 

Of course this is day one, so who knows where this thing will go.

#7 Posted by Red12b (9081 posts) -

ohchrist...
#8 Posted by Wright (637 posts) -

oh god, you can't escape! bill gates is watching you always!

#9 Edited by tourgen (4432 posts) -

Everyone realizes that those levels of IR light are completely harmless right?

God I hope so.  Science education in this country is so bad.  Hopefully everyone thru high school understands the basic bare bones physics of light. 

For fun do the same thing but look through the goggles at your TV remote while you mash some buttons.  It should be bright enough to bloom the goggles.

Still a pretty cool video and it's interesting to see the discrete dots of light.

#10 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

damn, that just looks crazy

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@tourgen said:
" Everyone realizes that those levels of IR light are completely harmless right?  God I hope so.  Science education in this country is so bad.  Hopefully everyone thru high school understands the basic bare bones physics of light.   For fun do the same thing but look through the goggles at your TV remote while you mash some buttons.  It should be bright enough to bloom the goggles. Still a pretty cool video and it's interesting to see the discrete dots of light. "
I know that. I just find it funny how many little beams of light are used.
#12 Posted by takua108 (1478 posts) -

That's way cooler than I thought it would be.

#13 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Damn, that's like motion capture. Pretty cool, too bad it's not real motion capture, imagine placing balls on you.

#14 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

Thats pretty cool. Its a pretty clever way of tracking movement. 

#15 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Interesting. What are your experiences with it in general, performance-wise? Latency etc. 

#16 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

Interesting to see.

#17 Posted by subyman (590 posts) -

If it were emitting gamma rays then we have a problem. Infrared?  Sorry, but your overhead light is more intense than kinetic's infrared emitter.  

#18 Posted by Brendan (7696 posts) -

lol at the comments concerning those lasers being harmful.  I'm sure they are joking.  At least I hope so.  

#19 Posted by NZV (125 posts) -
@Brendan said:
" lol at the comments concerning those lasers being harmful.  I'm sure they are joking.  At least I hope so.   "
Have you not seen Star Wars? Lasers will fuck you up, man.
#20 Posted by JJOR64 (18916 posts) -

Now that is impressive.

#21 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

That's totally crazy, dude. That was cool to see.

#22 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

If only they were flashing, then one could throw a kickass party. 
Granted everyone would have to wear IR goggles or something, but still!

#23 Posted by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -

Kinect is an awesome tool for national security agencies !

#24 Posted by Darkstar_KoP (183 posts) -

Oh god were all going to die!   =P
#25 Posted by solidwolf52 (300 posts) -

So MS now has a map of everyones living room...great

#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" And a a month later kincet will be recalled for causing cancer.  "

I'm 8 years old and i've been diagnosed with terminal cancer after 6 hours of playing Kinect.. you wanted proof? i am that proof. 
#27 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

@ZeForgotten
said:

" If only they were flashing, then one could throw a kickass party. Granted everyone would have to wear IR goggles or something, but still! "

A night vision goggles rave would be awesome/fucked up. 

Looks like somebody jerked off all over the room while singing Let The Bodies Hit The Floor and then you turn on the blacklights. 

...I'd imagine...
#28 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
@Claude said:
" imagine placing balls on you. "
Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah
#29 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

Oh god...this is how Tron started!!!

#30 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

Fireflies! They're invading! 
It looks pretty cool actually, the magic of Kinect is revealed...

#31 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -

You should see the bedroom under UV lights.

#32 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@tourgen: Stating that in anyway it could be harmful is completely idiotic. 
#33 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@NZV said:

" @Brendan said:

" lol at the comments concerning those lasers being harmful.  I'm sure they are joking.  At least I hope so.   "

Have you not seen Star Wars? Lasers will fuck you up, man. "
Lasers are dangerous.

#34 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6289 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" And a a month later kincet will be recalled for causing cancer.  "
And for being racist.
#35 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Here's another IR Kinect vid made by someone with better equipment :

#36 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

That looks super awesome

#37 Posted by Hamst3r (4462 posts) -

That's super-crazy looking. :O

I wonder how long until someone counts all the dots.

#38 Posted by Video_Game_King (36124 posts) -

This suddenly makes me not want Kinect at all. I didn't want it before (OK, I just didn't care), but this just makes me not want it anywhere in my house. Who here is comfortable with Microsoft spraying sperm all across their living room?

#39 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2597 posts) -

In general, no, IR isn't dangerous -- at least from naturally occurring physical processes. Yet any form of radiation -- including visible light or radio waves -- could potentially be dangerous if highly concentrated into a narrow beam (that is the principle of lasers) of very high power.  Therefore, until some  measures the intestity of the IR coming out of Kinect I wouldn't say it is 'harmless'.  Focus any electromagnetic (EM) spectrum at your eye strongly enough and you are not doing it any good.   White light won't hurt you eye unless you look at a high watt bulb, that same is true of IR, pump enough of it at your eye and GOOD LUCK.  Moreover, since IR is not   consciously  sensed your eye doesn't reflex to shut you eye when IR is too strong.    

#40 Posted by fisk0 (3881 posts) -
@NZV said:
" @Brendan said:
Have you not seen Star Wars? Lasers will fuck you up, man. "
Star Wars taught me that laser bolts move considerably slower than bullets - shouldn't be any problems dodging those!
#41 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@MonkeyKing1969 said:
In general, no, IR isn't dangerous -- at least from naturally occurring physical processes. Yet any form of radiation -- including visible light or radio waves -- could potentially be dangerous if highly concentrated into a narrow beam (that is the principle of lasers) of very high power.  Therefore, until some  measures the intestity of the IR coming out of Kinect I wouldn't say it is 'harmless'.  Focus any electromagnetic (EM) spectrum at your eye strongly enough and you are not doing it any good.   White light won't hurt you eye unless you look at a high watt bulb, that same is true of IR, pump enough of it at your eye and GOOD LUCK.  Moreover, since IR is not   consciously  sensed your eye doesn't reflex to shut you eye when IR is too strong.
Very true, but supposedly Kinect (well, I saw it on the prototype) uses a class 1 laser.
#42 Posted by damnboyadvance (4059 posts) -

Too freaky to have in my house. Another reason why I would prefer Move over Kinect.