• 193 results
#51 Posted by EVO (3889 posts) -

@Colourful_Hippie said:

I'm personally waiting past the launch period to see what happens because it won't be cheap to find out that you ended up backing the wrong console at the start.

Why not just back all the consoles?

#52 Posted by haffy (673 posts) -

The main reason for me was load times.

Playing something like Skyrim would be pretty difficult to get used to.

#53 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

@EVO: Just because I have all of the consoles now that doesn't mean that I got them all at once. That took time and I want to make sure that if I invest in a new console that I'm getting a good one. The 360 is basically the leading console now for ports but that doesn't mean anything to me anymore now that I'm playing those ports on PC. If MS wants to stick to that strategy again for the next one then I'm gonna have to pass on it.

#54 Posted by Fattony12000 (7251 posts) -

I'll play games on anything that I need to. Always have, always will. Which is the way everyone should do it.

#55 Edited by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Having enough money to build one, compounded with wanting to play games at higher res, settings, frame rate, etc. with modability, almost always lower price, pure digital distribution, and ability to play all the great PC-only games that require KB/M. Lots of reasons.

I'm not opposed to playing great console exclusive games, though. E.g., Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut!!!

#56 Posted by mosespippy (4095 posts) -

I haven't left consoles yet but when I get some money to build a new PC I likely will. Right now I'm not impressed with what passes as new games on consoles. The latest instalments of Uncharted, Borderlands, Motorstorm, Assassin's Creed, LBP, Batman, etc all seem like half steps to new games. It's like the business side of the companies are telling creative not to do anything to new or interesting in an attempt to pump out products at a faster rate and that are similar enough to the previous instalments that fans get the same experience. I don't want the same experience; I want new experiences. It seems like indie devs are the ones that will provide that. Right now I'm missing out on FTL, Minecraft*, Hotline Miami, Dear Ester, Slender, and who knows what else. I've been out of the Windows experience for 7 years now and I kind of want back in. I'm not happy with the iOSification of Mac OSX or apple's attitude towards developers in general. My next computer won't be mac. It will either be a 2003 era gaming PC so I can play my old games or a new Windows 8 PC.

*I can run Minecraft on this 7 year old mac laptop but it will crash from time to time and I can't run anything else at the same time without it crashing within 5 minutes. There is no way that I could run any mods or anything with it.

#57 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

I started out as a console gamer in early grade school, switched to PC during my middle school years and then back to consoles when money got tight. Now that I'm an adult and I can afford things, I game on the PC.

#58 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

I play PC game far more than I do console games. I like having my own machine to play games, without interrupting anyone else, so that may be a part of it. I think the main factor are the games. I prefer most of the indie games that I buy on Steam to many of the games available on consoles. When a game is available on PC and consoles, it's just easier to play it on my PC with a controller connected.

#59 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I built a new PC about a year ago, but I have not abandoned consoles. Chances are when the new consoles release the PC will be plagued by shitty ports for a while.

#60 Posted by onarum (2063 posts) -

Ugly ass console graphics, limited scope in games when compared with the PC counterpart(BF3) and not being able to take advantage of the sweet Steam sales.

I don't have anything against console gaming but right now the PC is the superior platform by far, since I built my current PC I must have turned on the PS3 about 2 or 3 times at most, and that was 4 months ago.

#61 Posted by MetalMoog (908 posts) -

I use my PC for MMO's, Dungeon Crawlers and RTS games. Everything else I prefer to play on console with a controller. Mainly because of the cost of PC's and the constant upgrading of parts to run games at their intended "sexy" settings. Not a big fan of having a diminished experience because I can't run the game as it's meant to be played. The price and constant upgrade path of PC's will forever keep me on the side of consoles primarily.

#62 Posted by CJduke (786 posts) -

Mods, direct downloads, steam, sales, better graphics, better framerate. Though I still do buy some games on consoles. I order Assassin's Creed 3 for PS3

#63 Posted by CaLe (3943 posts) -

The Xbox dashboard change. Not the most recent one, the one before that.

#64 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Getting a really high-powered PC and having a really awkward set-up for console games in my dorm. I don't have a TV, so hooking them up to my monitor works fine except for the audio, which is currently only working in the left speaker.

#65 Edited by MikkaQ (10276 posts) -

I never left them, I just bought a nice PC that complements them. Variety, yo. I just wanted another outlet to play some games. It's the same reason I got a Vita, though the results are obviously pretty different.

#66 Edited by Nights (609 posts) -

I'm neutral when it comes to gaming, as I've owned pretty much every mainstream console since the NES along with a capable PC. That will continue to be the case until I grow tired of gaming or take a massive financial hit. With that said, nowadays, I definitely do the majority of my gaming on my PC. I rarely touch my consoles. The only game I regularly play on the 360 is FIFA. I picked up the MGS: HD Collection in the summer and I purchased FEZ when it came out. That's about it in terms of 360 gaming since last spring.

Besides the obvious benefits of PC gaming, STEAM is what's doing it for me at the moment. I've been a member of STEAM since 2004, but didn't I start to utilize it on a regular basis (as it was a bit shit back in the day) until a few years ago. It's fast, convenient, updates are a cinch and it's cheap. Sure, when you boot-up STEAM you're blasted with ads, but at least they're gaming related. They also inform you about their current sales, pre-orders, etc. That's half the reason I never boot up my 360. It's slow, navigation is clunky (STEAM needs a bit of work as well to be fair) and it's littered with ads for services/products I have zero fucking interest in. Consoles have gone down the, "This is your one-stop entertainment hub!" route and it's just not what I'm looking for in a gaming machine. Customization is also a joke. Want a new avatar? That'll be $5! STEAM is great in that regard. I can upload whatever image I want as my profile picture and change my name for free. I don't utilize them that much, but STEAM groups are fantastic for finding seemingly like-minded gamers. It's especially helpful for older games or titles that never had a massive fan base to begin with.

But that's all "fluff." The main reason is the convenience and price. As much as I hate to admit it, I think I'm done with buying physical copies of games. Having a digital library is just so much easier. At least for now, but that's an entirely different story. Then there's the pricing, which is STEAM's major selling point. Their sales are fantastic! Simple as that. Until Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony can discount their titles at the rate and price point of STEAM, they won't be able to win me over as a frequent customer. We'll see what they'll do with their next-gen offerings.

#67 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

I was sick of Xbox live getting pricier, while adding more Ads. $60 a year (or $10 a month) is excessive when I only play games online. I was sick, and wanted prettier games to boot.

#68 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

Steam fixing a lot of my issues with PC gaming. Sure I was able to deal with all my PC disks, their associated patches and drm but why should I? Why would I want to for every single game. I'll admit to having little patience for machines.

The time I spend dealing with setup up and technical support issues of PC games is dramatically less than it was before; and is pretty close to nothing with Steam. Add that to lower prices and easier delivery and PC gradually become my preferred platform. If more Japanese publishers starts consistently releasing PC ports I might drop consoles entirely.

#69 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I never left consoles. I just started playing more stuff on my PC. I'll switch to console as my primary platform once next gen comes out, and will stay with it for at least 18 months until PC ports catch back up.

#70 Posted by Giantstalker (1601 posts) -

Once you have more disposable income, I think it becomes a matter of time being valuable and less so the money.

The best experience possible is more often than not on the PC - at least for my tastes. I might have to spend five times as much to be top of the line; that's not the part that matters.

#71 Posted by CannonGoose (372 posts) -

Mods, 60+ FPS, higher resolutions and delicious Steam, Amazon and Greenman sales.

#72 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -
  • The 10 year console cycle
  • PSN getting hacked in the Summer of 2011
  • And my burning passion for Battlefield Bad Company 2 (& Vietnam) at that time

It's impossible going back to playing BF:BC 2 Vietnam at 720p @ rocky 30 FPS @ low FOV, after marinating all Summer in 1080p @ steady 60 FPS @ 85 FOV. Still prefer the online experience on consoles overall, them being a closed systems, suffering from way less cheaters, and the competitive benefit of even playingfield hardware (and Battlefield is simply more fun playing with a gamepad - against other gamepad players - because the real fun happens in that split-second TTK increase resulting from slower and less accurate aim, and is lost in translation to KB&M precision and quickness).

I'll be maining a console again when the next generation hits (trending towards Sony), at least if the next generation of consoles matches the effective power of my 2+ years old PC - as in rendering current games @ 1080p @ a steady 50+ frames @ 80+ FOV on high/ultra settings with limited/no AA and 16x AF. Can you dig it?

#73 Posted by FriskyHeadCrab (41 posts) -

Cost is what finally put me out of the console race. I'll admit that I'm a special case, as I need a powerful computer for 3D rendering purposes. The money that goes into maintaining a game-capable machine is money I have to spend on work anyways.

That being said, I hate playing FPS's with console controls. So, there's that.

#74 Posted by Supersoaker (78 posts) -

I personally left consoles because of the cheapness of PC games that would keep me entertained, also higher fidelity is great.

#75 Posted by Clonedzero (4194 posts) -

i love my 360 still

#76 Posted by Veektarius (4742 posts) -

Steam and Steam sales really are the main reason. Interestingly, I recently played Syndicate on the Xbox for exactly the same reason. Syndicate is not on Steam, only Origin. On Xbox Games on Demand, it's $30, and twice that on the PC. The whole graphics thing... well, I like seeing what my PC can do, and it's no powerhouse, and I'm not the sort of guy who plays 8 bit games, but up to a point, graphics are way less important to me than convenience and price.

#77 Posted by Hamst3r (4479 posts) -

I already have a beefy rig for music and video stuff - might as well play games on it too, especially since they'll be better there anyway. :3

#78 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

PC games = Single Player Games

Xbox = Exclusives like RDR, Forza, Lost Odysey, Halo and Gears of War plus multiplayer games that I would play with friends.

#79 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

Needed a PC that can do my video editing stuff for projects and school...

Oh hey guess what, I can play whatever I want. Plus I just flat out have less time than before to go out and buy stuff for consoles. I'm definitely skipping out on next-gen consoles. Because that's the thing nobody admits, if you're playing on consoles you usually have to have two to make sure the exclusives are covered, I'd rather have my PC than the PS3 and 360 or whatever the next ones are gonna be. All the devs are making sure the steam version isn't absolute shit now anyways.

#80 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (618 posts) -

I've never left one for the other, I'm committed to both and they're both perfectly fine with that relationship (unless they are hiding their true feelings). There was a point where some games that I wanted to play on PC wasn't going to happen (Battlefield 3) because i couldn't run it to well, but that computer died a week after it came out and just built my current computer which has been able to handle anything now with out any issues.

#81 Posted by Dodosaur (3 posts) -

Probably the options. I like MMOs, RTS, and FPS. With consoles the only good games are party games and FPS, and FPS doesn't play very precisely. Also, combinations of the two, like Planetside or Age of Empires Online, usually exist only on PC.

#82 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

The main reason I abandoned consoles is because I live in romania, a country that is not suported by console manufacturers and since english is the only language I know, I had to make an UK account on my PSN. My internet is also pretty slow and because I was always matched with people from the other side of Europe, the ping was always high on my games and the download speeds terrible.

With PC and Steam its alot better since I can play on servers from this part of the world (mostly romanian and russian) so I always get under 100 ping. And since my PC is connected thru a cable to the internet and not wireless, the download speeds are better (still slow, but way better than on PS3)/

#83 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

My favorite genres are on PC, plus this console cycle has gone on for way too long. That and the fact that my 360 RRoD'd on me twice and I just couldn't be bothered.

#84 Posted by JSwan13 (275 posts) -

TF2

#85 Posted by Raven10 (1759 posts) -

I actually switched back and forth twice. First time was 2003/04 when I bought a decent PC for the time. I got it mostly for PC exclusives which at the time consisted of a lot more than MMO's and RTS games. Call of Duty, Doom 3, and Half Life 2 were probably the main reasons I got it along with Painkiller and a couple other games. My parents bought me that computer and I never had money to upgrade it. So around 2007 I ended up switching back to consoles because my PC could no longer keep up with current titles. Then in 2010 I believe I got a new desktop for college work. Since I'm a game designer I needed a computer that could run game engines so I got a pretty decent PC and at that point games were so much cheaper and looked/ran so much better on PC that I just started buying multi platform games on PC.

Generally my strategy is that I rent any game I don't REALLY want and so generally I play a fair number of games on 360. I don't really buy many 360 games though. I do buy PS3 exclusives just because I really enjoy most of them. But generally I buy games on PC if for no other reason than Steam sales let me pay a 10th of the price I would pay for the same game on a console. For example, I just got all four AC games plus all DLC released for them for $35 on Steam. If I did that on consoles I would have spent $150+. You start adding those purchases up and a PC can seem like a sound investment pretty quickly. I've probably spent at least 3x as much on my 15 or so PS3 games than I have on my 150 PC games.

#86 Edited by Pr1mus (3854 posts) -

Most games that matter to me are available on PC and look better than their console counterparts and run better while they're at it.

Steam and GOG, multiplayer and all that all work better than PSN/Xbox Live, or at least more to my taste.

Keyboard and mouse. Always K/M for shooters. Otherwise almost every games nowadays have native 360 controller support. It all comes down to more choices.

And regarding the next generation, i'm fairly confident that my current rig with a graphics card upgrade will be able to continue to outperform the consoles.

In any case it really doesn't have much of anything to do with the platform itself. I happen to have a good PC that can run the same games better. If the consoles were still better than my PC that's where most of my gaming would still be done. And that goes for next gen too. Whatever platform does the job best is the platform i'll use the most.

PC simply has more tricks up it sleeves other than just raw power.

EDIT: I done messed up... i had 775 posts and now its gone...

<>

#87 Posted by Mr_Misery (258 posts) -

Origin.

#88 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

I love all games but when I had the opportunity to build my first gaming PC, I started playing on it exclusivity Once you get past the expensive PC, buying new games is just so much cheaper with Steam/Amazon/Origin sales. I can't remember the last time I bought a game for full price. (Maybe Rock Band 3?) I have even gotten bad at controller games like Halo Reach now that I mostly play on PC. Still there are some games that I feel are better with a controller, like a lot of console ports, so I end up buying multiplatform games on PC too.

I have been playing a bunch of PS3 since I finally got one of those recently. All those good games are very inexpensive now. Basically, I play on whatever has the game for cheep, that ends up being PC.

#89 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

Versatility.

Resolutions.

Control.

#90 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (564 posts) -

Back in the early 90's my friend owned an Atari ST, and we played Leisure Suit Larry and Pebble Beach Golf on the thing. It was cool but it wasn't mine so that was more or less a passing thing. I was a strict console gamer, then one summer I played Half-Life, Elder Scrolls Morrowind, and Warcraft III and now I play PC games and consoles. So I guess you would say I never really left consoles, but I credit Half-Life the most for me playing PC games now.

#91 Posted by adam1808 (1425 posts) -

@dannyodwyer said:

Upgrading.

I upgrade my consoles with videogames.

#92 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

I think for me it was how mod able Fallout 3 was and from there it just grew and grew into some kind of monster lol. Before that I just had an old computer that could barely play WOW.

#93 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

I have absolutely no interest in ever having a desktop pc again. I do all my web browsing/e-mail/etc on a phone or tablet, the only thing I would need a pc for is writing songs in Guitar Pro and there's a mobile version of that as well.

On top of that, my apartment doesn't have space left for a big, bulky pc. Hell, I'm having trouble finding room for my laptop - which I barely use at all anymore.

Add to that that I dislike playing games with wasd+mouse or seated at a desk, and I can safely say I will not be "leaving consoles" any time soon. It's just a much more preferable experience for me.

But, as with all things, to each their own.

#94 Edited by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

It's not like I've left consoles permanently. Just this generation. I just lost interest. Sold my Wii after it had collected dust for several years. PS3 after 1 year. Sold my 360 a few months ago. Had one since launch. The only thing left on consoles that interests me is Assassin's Creed 3 and Hitman Absolution. and I'll get those for PC, now that I can actually run them at a steady framerate.

#95 Posted by OmegaChosen (644 posts) -

I didn't realize there was a growing crowd. I tend to not have many games that interest me on PC though. Consoles have the games I want so yeah.

#96 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

Part of the reason is because the current console cycle has lasted so long, it's "held back" PC gaming, there hasn't been a need to upgrade any parts of your PC for a long time. I upgraded mine almost 3 years ago now, and I can still play brand new games on maxed out settings.

But the biggest reason has been the rise of digital games and Steam inparticular. Even if it costs more to buy a decent PC than it does for a console, the fact you can wait a few months and buy newly released games for the £10-20 mark is amazing. After one big sale season, you've probably made up the extra cost right there.

Kickstarter is also helping bring back a lot of genres I really loved in the past and there are very few game series that are exclusive to the consoles that I'd care to play anyway. The Wii U will probably be the only next-gen system I bother with now, unless MS and Sony really bring out some big guns. Halo/Forza/God of War/Uncharted isn't going to cut it.

I still wouldn't say I've "left them" but I haven't gone back to them in a long time and I don't see myself doing so anytime soon.

#97 Posted by Village_Guy (2533 posts) -

I kinda jump back and forth every now and then, but I still play both and I doubt I'll leave the consoles behind any time soon...

I think what mostly holds me back from the PC is that I have always found it uncomfortable to play games with a mouse and keyboard.

#98 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

They cheated on me and I can do better than some punk ass motherfucker named trey trey guuuuurlll

#99 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

I think what mostly holds me back from the PC is that I have always found it uncomfortable to play games with a mouse and keyboard.

I can relate to that, but with Windows 7 onwards, pretty much every PC game natively supports the 360 gamepad. HDMI cables are also very cheap, so you can play your PC games on your TV, sitting on a couch, with a 360 (or PS3 controller if you really want) very easily.

#100 Posted by Village_Guy (2533 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Village_Guy said:

I can relate to that, but with Windows 7 onwards, pretty much every PC game natively supports the 360 gamepad. HDMI cables are also very cheap, so you can play your PC games on your TV, sitting on a couch, with a 360 (or PS3 controller if you really want) very easily.

Yeah, I have been looking for whatever-it-is-called-that-is-used-to-connect-the-360-controller-to-the-PC for some time now, but I can't find it anywhere. No stores where I live or the usual online stores I use seem to have any.