Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What mouse should I get for First Person Shooters?

Cerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Cerebus

So for the last 32 years I would play RTS games and Diablo on the computer with the mouse, but for the most part I was a console gamer. In the last three years I have discovered Steam but would play the FPS games with a 360 controller. Enter the Humble Bundle where I got Battlefield 3 for a good price. So about three months ago I installed BF3 and have been going through the learning curve of using keyboard and mouse in it. I have gotten to the point where my K/D ration is respectable, but I feel like if I have a mouse with more then three buttons and a better weight/feel it would help me a lot. So guys what would be a good entry mouse that is not to expensive and not to crazy. I have noticed that in Best Buy and Walmart they have increased their store space for keyboards and mouse's. It's the brand that has mouse's called the "nagra" and "hydra" and come in purple and blue boxes. I am not apposed to using Amazon to get a mouse either. Thanks.

Obamacare666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Obamacare666

you want to buy a good mouse, and most that are built for comfort are not that cheap.

Look into these mice, which are around $60.

Corsair M65: I love the look of the mouse, but have not actually tried one. The "sniper button" is a feature I'll probably forget to use every time I snipe.

Logitech G600: This mouse has 12 buttons on the side for thumb, 22 buttons total. Though it is branded as an MMO mouse, Pistol from Tek Syndicate recommends it for FPS gaming, and it is a good recommendation. My 2.4 k/d on BF3 with it. It's a big mouse, I have big hands, so it's perfect for me. It is heavy and comfortable for me as well. I use this for all my games right now on a Corsair MM600, and they are great. I own 2 of these, white and black versions, totally recommend it.

Logitech 502: This mouse looks light, and nice, and I hope it's for my play style for Quake Live. It sure has been getting a lot of love.

UtechSmart Venus MMO: Tek Syndicate did a review on this, I have never heard of it till then. Logan described as a "knock off" of the G600 and cheaper. So I guess you can look into this one for an entry mouse as you asked. It's cheaper than a G600. around $40.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

MX518, which was rebranded as the the G400.

Cerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Mouse feel is going to be pretty specific to a person's individual tastes, but luckily there's a pretty wide variety to choose from. I'd definitely start with the display at Best Buy or Walmart to see if any of them strike your fancy, but they're probably not going to be showing off every brand that's out there. A lot of people like the Logitech models, but I've always found them to be too small for me. I usually just buy whatever the latest Deathadder is when I need a new mouse; it's the same body as the old Intellimouse Explorers, and is a pretty solid thing all the way around, and is pretty simple to use if you avoid all of Razer's silly customizable software options.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I use the CM Storm Inferno. It's got a pretty in-depth programmable aspect to it, to the point where there's a button for executing macros you can write your own lines for. It's pretty crazy, but I've yet to dip into that.

I'm a big fan of the shape and weight, and it's got two thumb buttons that are really easy to access (I'm particular to putting crouch and sprint on them, personally), and two more beside the left and right mouse buttons (but one is dedicated to being a glorified turbo and it doesn't work, which is a bummer). For the price it's pretty fantastic, but it's obviously not going to hold a candle to $60-$80 gaming mice. Mouses. Micies.

BeardyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have big hands, get a Logitech or a Deathadder. If you have small hands, get a Steelseries Sensei.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I too recently decided to purchase a new mouse. I got the Razer Imperator and have really loved it. A couple of my league of legend playing friends have purchased the same mouse.

As Rorie said, besides the annoying Razer software its an amazing mouse for a fairly reasonable price.

Cerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks guys for the input.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@hammondoftexas said:

I personally use the Logitech G500, but those aren't made anymore. Logitech now makes the G500S, which is essentially the same mouse. Love it, use it for work and games. You have a few buttons on the side that I bind to knife and grenade in battlefield games and you also have are able to add a remove weight to the mouse with small weights it comes with. I play a lot of shooters, primarily CS:GO with over 500 hours.

Just make sure you download the G500S firmware update (you can't get it directly via Logitech Gaming Software) because the mouse has some acceleration by default.

I bought a G500S to replace my old G500 and it felt a bit 'off' in comparison. Once I found out about the acceleration issues it all made sense and since I updated the firmware all is well.

SpetsNutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use a Mionix Gaming mouse.

I don't know anyone else who uses a Mionix gaming mouse, but it's a pretty solid mouse, I haven't looked back since I tried it.

http://mionix.net/mice/naos-7000/

Might be worth a look if you want something a little different.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cerebus: The best way for you to help us to help guide you in the right direction is to tell us what "grip" you use. Are you claw grip kind of guy who prefers a smaller mouse with sever "walls" or are you more of a palm user who likes a smooth curved surface? Or, do you prefer the ergonomic approach?

Personally I use and adore a G9x from Logitech. It's very similar in shape to the RAT 7/9 but without the adjustment options (other than two slightly different grip shape and material options).

Of course a G9x will run you over $100 and you could probably get an adjustable, wireless RAT 9 for about the same price. And it doesn't sound like you're serious enough to go out and spend that kind of cash.

My suggestion would be to look at Logitech's website, pick the one that has the most comfortable (usually familiarity is the key to that so if you have a shape you're used to, seek one like it) looking shape, and try it out. Chances are you won't hate it as long as it suits your grip in general and if you want to try and find a better option you always can later down the road. And most Logitech mice aren't super expensive.

They do have an "MMO" mouse that has quite a few extra buttons but all of their gaming mice should have at least two extra buttons. I think they did away mostly with the DPI adjustment buttons and stuff but they may have that as well and those are usually programmable. I use them as volume controllers but you could bind them to obscure keys for extra key-binding options if you wanted.

The big brands to look at are Logitech, Steelseries, and Razer. IMO, Razer should be your last option, as they have, in my experience (and plenty of people have agreed along these lines) they can be a bit loosely manufactured. Tolerances aren't always the best and quality can suffer, especially in terms of button positivity and the like. But other people swear by the brand so whatever floats your boat I suppose :)

Welcome to the future! Mouse control is infinitely better once you learn to use it. You can be good with a joystick, but nothing compares to the mouse when you don't have auto-aim to rely on.

If you want a good FPS to really take advantage of your mouse or help train your precision, Bulletstorm is a ton of fun and at least for me was wildly more entertaining when I had a mouse to pull off awesome shit with.

oversteps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oversteps
    buemba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By buemba

If you're lucky to get a working Deathadder it's pretty much the best mouse you can find, unfortunately getting a working Deathadder is a lot more difficult than it should for a piece of hardware that cost $60.00. Of the 4 I owned one lasted me 5 years of heavy use, two started showing signs of double clickage within a month and one was non-functional out of the box.

I'm now using a Logitech G400S. I don't think the shape is as comfortable as the Deathadder, but having an easy way to switch DPI on the fly is very useful for FPS games and the build quality seems pretty good.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@ajamafalous: having played fps games sorta competitively since mohaa, and having tried all kinds of mice, I have to say the mx518 or g400s really is the definitive answer. That is, unless the shape is somehow uncomfortable for you. Try to avoid laser sensors, they're a gimmick that's somehow refused to die out in spite of all the evidence saying they're never better and pretty much always worse for tracking.

Brad has one too.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What kind of grip do you find yourself using?

I have a fingertip grip and found that the Logitech G9x is an amazing mouse. It's also well suited for claw grip as well. I have never been able to use a Razer mouse comfortably because of how I hold a mouse, since those are better suited for a palm grip.

jhajha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Razer ouroboros elite ambidextrous gaming mouse

Corsair Vengeance M65

InsaneGenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've bookmarked this thread for my own reference. Thanks! I'm looking for a keyboard and mouse also. Just built my pc about 3 months ago.

I need suggestions on a keyboard though.

http://www.junustore.com/reviews/logitech-g11-gaming-keyboard-blacksilver/

I do like the layout of the keys on the left side. I don't need all the extra stuff that I don't know what it does. I just want a good layout, lit up and mechanical. I'd even be ok with some of those small looking keyboards made only to game and your hand fits in it. I'm into torchlight 2 and Starcraft 2 at the moment.

Thanks!!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By mike

@insanegenis: The Corsair K70 RGB just came out...it's the hot keyboard right now. Logitech is fine too, though. I have a Ducky Shine 3 mechanical.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By monetarydread
    Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mb said:

@insanegenis: The Corsair K70 RGB just came out...it's the hot keyboard right now. Logitech is fine too, though. I have a Ducky Shine 3 mechanical.

I have a K70 Red and love it to bits. Probably the best keyboard I've ever owned.

It's also so solid that you could probably kill someone with it, should the need arise...

InsaneGenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By InsaneGenis

@mb: I just put that Corsair K70 RGB on my christmas list. I did NOT want to spend that much, but that just seems to obnoxious not to own.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By mike

@insanegenis said:

@mb: I just put that Corsair K70 RGB on my christmas list. I did NOT want to spend that much, but that just seems to obnoxious not to own.

It is a bit expensive, but look at it this way...it will last you MANY years. I have a mechanical keyboard from the mid 80's that is still going strong. The beauty of mechanicals is that you can replace and update keys as they need it or your tastes change in feel, sound, or feedback. Do it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.