• 88 results
#1 Posted by klandathu (47 posts) -

Just curious on what most people are going to be doing but how many of you are going to be buying your next gen games digitally? I plan on making the majority of my purchases digitally, also do you think either company will allow some type of sharing of digital content?

#2 Posted by joshwent (2301 posts) -

I'm a PC gamer, so... %100?

#3 Edited by StarvingGamer (8390 posts) -

Sadly, I'm still swayed by preorder bonuses fairly often and Amazon's flexible pricing.

That said, if Sony continues to not charge me sales tax, I may just buy everything digital on my PS4. It will be like buy 10 get one free!

#4 Posted by Wuddel (2098 posts) -

All PC-games and all console multiplayer games.

#5 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

if it comes in a box i'll buy it in a box. I prefer to own the things i buy.

#6 Posted by Nivash (241 posts) -

The vast majority, if not all. And yes, it's largely because I'm a PC gamer now but it's a habit I plan on carrying on into the consoles if I get them - I just love the way you can decide on buying a game and have it up and ready to run within the hour after purchase (100 MB fiber, baby!)

#7 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I have no idea

#8 Posted by Veiasma (194 posts) -

Probably 80%. I'd much rather be a shut-in and download them all.

If its a good single player game that I'll want to share, I'll buy the disk.

#9 Edited by JJOR64 (19025 posts) -

Not sure really. I finally bought my first Retail 3DS game digitally which was Animal Crossing. I still enjoy having the physical game, but if it's a game like AC that should be played daily, then maybe I will get Digital.

#10 Posted by Blue_Cube (174 posts) -

43.24518%

#11 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

All of it, I am a PC gamer. And my main platform is PC.

If you mean consoles, going to the PS4 and buying the disks.

#12 Edited by Tesla (1933 posts) -

Depends on the price. Downloading games that are a few gigs is appealing to me only if it costs less than the disc based version.

#13 Posted by Nezza (373 posts) -

Unless pricing really comes into line with retail stores, then for mainstream releases it'll be near enough 0%.

I'll still continue to hoover up the smaller Arcade/PSN/Estore titles as and when I see something interesting, with the occasional purchase of larger titles during a sale.

#14 Posted by klandathu (47 posts) -

i think there will be a few games where i buy the box but the majority will be digital, my wife always gives me dirty looks when she see's the stack of games i own get bigger.....at least not she want have to see that stack :)

#15 Edited by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (739 posts) -

I have a suspicion I will start with the box and within a year or two go mostly digital.

So I will be just the person Sony and Microsoft is trying to create this console generation.

#16 Posted by Danteveli (1201 posts) -

I will try to stick as close to 0% as I can. I'm not going to pay more for retail but won't get digital if the offer is not good enough.

#17 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2027 posts) -

Since I play mostly on PC nowadays I'd say damn near 100%.

#18 Edited by The_Big_Rough (227 posts) -

PC 100%

Looking at front covers is nice but damn they can take up a lot of room.

#19 Edited by NoobSauceG7 (1259 posts) -

I will most likely buy physical since I like having a collection of games.

#20 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

For PC 100%

For PS4 only the small digital only games, because retail games will probably kill my usage limits.

#21 Posted by crusader8463 (14425 posts) -

On PC I will keep buying all 100%. On console I will still keep buying 0%. I refuse to buy digital console games because you have to throw out your collection every 4-5 years when the next thing comes out. On PC you will always have a way to play your games thanks to modders but on consoles you only get them as long as the platform wants to support them.

#22 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

0% it would take a month to dowload some 40 gig game on my shitty Internet.

#23 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@scrumdidlyumptious: Usage Limits? As in your internet is capped or something?
Does downloading PC games not count towards that? I'm confused.

#24 Edited by awesomeusername (4225 posts) -

I plan on going all digital next gen. I hate swapping discs and having all my Vita titles digital just makes me need all digital.

#25 Posted by TooWalrus (13240 posts) -

I occasionally like to swap games back and forth... I'm thinking about going all boxed- for PS4, anyway.

I still plan on playing most of my games on PC though, so obviously those will all be digital.

#26 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3908 posts) -

The majority of them. I'll never leave my house again.

#27 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

I don't know. It will depend on prices. If retail games still go down in price much quicker then I'll be picking up any of my non-essential games that way. If it's a game I know I'm going to buy day one then it will depend on if the games can be pre-downloaded so they are ready to play right away, or what time of day they are released. If they release at midnight then I might pick them up to download overnight but if they release at say noon, then I'll probably just grab it at a store and install off the disc.

#28 Posted by BeachThunder (12118 posts) -

90ish?

#29 Edited by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

Do arcade and download only count if not. 0% my internet is to slow to wait 6 hours for a game and I love boxes.

#30 Edited by Zeik (2574 posts) -

As few as possible probably, unless Sony finally adopts more flexible pricing and makes buying digitally actually worthwhile.

#31 Posted by ConfusedOwl (954 posts) -

Most if not all my game purchases on next gen minus the computer will be boxed. I still enjoy the experience of going into the store and seeing all those games. I also like having no shelf space.

#32 Edited by GnomeonFire (772 posts) -

If I'm spending a full $60 then I want it in physically copy. If I can't find it in stores cuz it's sold out or whatnot, then I'll buy online.

#33 Posted by DukesT3 (1934 posts) -

On the ps4 maybe just a few. Unless they have pretty killer sales or something then maybe ALL!

I just hope they sell online codes for games since putting my card on my PSN account has yet to work.

#34 Posted by BaconGames (3494 posts) -

If I had to guess, getting a PS4 means probably jumping on PS+ so with that and a PC, most of my stuff will be digital going forward. As much as people make a stink about used on console, comparing the two still favors PC digital downloads and to a degree PS+ over used. I could care less where it comes from as long as it's cheap and easy to get, and I can't say I've been impressed with the used games market after getting my PS3 in 2009. If the new focus on digital means even better deals on that front but I guess I could still trade discs with my friends on Playstation, that's fine.

#35 Edited by bslayer (222 posts) -

Depends on the percentage of my laziness.

#36 Edited by Red (5995 posts) -

I'll probably buy the vast majority of my games online, aside from games I'm uber psyched about and am getting a Special Edition for. I do want all of my portable games digitally, though, just so I don't have to carry around cartridges.

#37 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

As close to 100% as possible on my PS4, and once Nintendo gets an account system I'll do the same on my 3DS.

#38 Edited by uniform (1836 posts) -

For consoles, if given the choice, I'll always want a physical copy. I've never purchased a digital game for consoles. For PC I have roughly 10 games purchased on Steam, with the rest of my PC game collection being physical store purchased copies.

#39 Edited by VilhelmNielsen (1738 posts) -

100%. Probably gonna wait a few years before I jump on the new consoles, though. Steam, ahoy!

#40 Posted by VirtuaGrant (52 posts) -

I've moved to a new place eight times in the last eight years so less boxes and stuff is a blessing. 100% digital where possible.

#41 Posted by wenis (45 posts) -

Dunno, depends on what sort of deals are around. I buy both physical and digital and it just comes down to which is offering me a better deal.

#42 Posted by Winsord (1256 posts) -

Likely 90%+. Obviously all PC purchases are digital, which is my main platform right now, and it seems pretty unlikely I'll be bothered to buy a physical copy unless it has a neat pre-order tin like the Forza games or there's a really good deal on. It's hard for Gamespot and similar stores to compete when they've got physical product, so I don't see much reason for buying physical anymore. The only reason I could see there being would be if HDD space becomes an issue (stupid 700GB Steam folder), but it sounds like both platforms are going to require installs regardless. I guess the other part of that is I've got a bandwidth cap, so if games are quick to get to 40GB+ downloads, then I might have to start buying physical again.

#43 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1655 posts) -

My policy now is essentially "buy digital unless physical is cheaper", and I expect to continue with that. Hopefully the digital pricing gets more agile and generally in line with reality -- there's been too many cases where a game I want to play is like $40 on PSN and under $20 through Amazon sellers or store sales.

#44 Edited by Pr1mus (3953 posts) -

Digital means no sales tax over here which means 9$ saved on a 60$ game which means all of them probably.

#45 Posted by GaspoweR (3204 posts) -

95%

#46 Posted by EpicSteve (6494 posts) -

I will most likely never buy a boxed game after this gen.

#47 Posted by hawkinson76 (374 posts) -

all

#48 Posted by xyzygy (10045 posts) -

The very lowest percent. For instance Killer Instinct will be digital only... so only if a game is digital only will I buy it digitally.

#49 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

As long as my local electronics store continues to have stock of new games on release day, I will continue buying physical media. This would only change if digital copies are offered at a meaningful discount.

#50 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

0%

I like boxes.