• 80 results
#1 Posted by Pathos (202 posts) -

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if there are other games sites that you visit and if so, what do you like/hate about them? Full disclosure: I ask because a friend and I are in the process of making a site about games, but we want to make sure that we don't just do the same old shit again and again. Don't worry, I won't put a link in here.

For me personally I visit sites like Polygon and Gamespot for their news and go to sites like 1UP (Retronauts ftw) and Rockpapershotgun for their editorials. 1UP is how I found out about 8-4 and I was stoked when they announced that they were going to be hosted right here on Giant Bomb! Speaking of which, I personally think that GB changed the way video content was produced - they made it fun, relied less on scripts, and showed that it is cool to be mates with developers. Plus, they really pushed video as a major part of their content, I mean, most other sites now are trying to copy the Quick Look idea right?I remember Gamespot's heydey when we had On The Spot and the Hot Spot to look forward to every week. I'm sure a lot of us have come over from the old Gamespot cause, you know, WE LOVE JEFF, VINNY, RYAN, BRAD. PS I personally like Patrick's presence on the site. :)

So yeah, hopefully you guys have some other sites you like visiting and wouldn't mind talking about them.

PS. Mods, please let me know if I am violating rules or something. If I am I'll take it down. :)

#2 Posted by Morningstar (2240 posts) -

Rpgwatch.

#3 Posted by Bell_End (1203 posts) -

i like eurogamer.

although the comments are terrible... just terrible. a very cynical bunch of poster.

#4 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

I listen to about 40 different gaming podcasts (seriously), but this is the only gaming website I regularly spend time at. I get RSS feeds for RockPaperShotgun, IndieGamer, RPGCodex, PCGamer, and #AltDevBlogADay, but I don't consistently read them and only visit them when I have to. There are also a few shows I watch (things like HAWP and Pachter - forget the haters, I enjoy both) . . . but I only go wherever I must to consume those things and don't otherwise frequently the sites they're on. Anything significant enough to be worth reading is probably going to end up being posted about by one of the staff on GB, too, so no point going out of my way to read twenty different sites.

#5 Edited by Pathos (202 posts) -

@Morningstar said:

Rpgwatch.

Woah, that site is.. dense! Reminds me of mmorpg.com a lot. :)

@Bell_End said:

i like eurogamer.

although the comments are terrible... just terrible. a very cynical bunch of poster.

Haha yeah, Eurogamer are good for getting news first (ie. the two Arma devs getting jailed) and they have pretty nice interviews. As for comments, I always lose faith in humanity when I read comments anywhere so I try not to read them now. But man, are they as bad as some of the one's that are on Patrick's posts? :P

@Branthog said:

I listen to about 40 different gaming podcasts (seriously), but this is the only gaming website I regularly spend time at. I get RSS feeds for RockPaperShotgun, IndieGamer, RPGCodex, PCGamer, and #AltDevBlogADay, but I don't consistently read them and only visit them when I have to. There are also a few shows I watch (things like HAWP and Pachter - forget the haters, I enjoy both) . . . but I only go wherever I must to consume those things and don't otherwise frequently the sites they're on. Anything significant enough to be worth reading is probably going to end up being posted about by one of the staff on GB, too, so no point going out of my way to read twenty different sites.

I used to listen to about 10 or so before, but I've since cut it down to just a few. 1Up had a whole slew of quality podcasts back in the day!

#6 Posted by Superfriend (1585 posts) -

40 different podcasts? They´re not weekly ones, are they? I can barely fit the Bombcast into most weeks.

I go to Gamespot, mostly for the reviews and different opinions and of course the mostly awesome video content the UK crew puts out. Other than that, a few smaller gaming blogs, Destructoid (even though I hate the comments there) aand a few developers I like to keep up with (forget about twitter- html, fool!)

#7 Posted by Bell_End (1203 posts) -

@Pathos said:

@Morningstar said:

Rpgwatch.

Woah, that site is.. dense! Reminds me of mmorpg.com a lot. :)

@Bell_End said:

i like eurogamer.

Haha yeah, Eurogamer are good for getting news first (ie. the two Arma devs getting jailed) and they have pretty nice interviews. As for comments, I always lose faith in humanity when I read comments anywhere so I try not to read them now. But man, are they as bad as some of the one's that are on Patrick's posts? :P

@Branthog said:

I used to listen to about 10 or so before, but I've since cut it down to just a few. 1Up had a whole slew of quality podcasts back in the day!

honestly. even though the EG community is very cynical and loves to hate things, i've never read anything as spitefull or hatefull and just plain nasty as some of the comments i read about patrick on the THQ live stream the other evening.

#8 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@Pathos said:

@Branthog said:

I consume all of my podcast content on my iPad, so I can always have it with me -- and I don't hesitate to skip some podcasts, if the description doesn't entice me that week (though there are some I listen to, no matter what -- such as GB, Idle Thumbs, Weekend Confirmed, etc). I also don't really watch television or anything. So, I can easily consume a good 40 hours of podcasts each week.

Oh, and I listen to a good chunk of podcasts at 1.5 speed.

If I didn't work from home or I consumed a lot of other entertainment content in other forms, I would probably have to cut it down to less than ten -- and even then, skip a lot of episodes.

Right now, I think I listen to (holy shit, it's even more shows than I thought -- and this is only the game related podcasts... and this is after I culled about ten from my feed):

1. Another Castle
  2. Core Elements
  3. The Game Design Roundtable
  4. HAWPCast
  5. Idle Thumbs
  6. Rev3Games (skip most of the content, unless it has Sessler)
  7. Rooster Teeth
  8. Three Moves Ahead
  9. 1UP.com - Games Dammit (or whatever it's called, now)
  10. Retronauts
  11. 4Player Podcast
  12. 8-4 Play
  13. 8-bit Show
  14. Arcade Impossible
  15. Besties
  16. Brainy Gamer
  17. CAGcast
  18. ContinueCast
  19. Critical Hit
  20. Dead Pixel Live
  21. Destructoid
  22. Dungeon Crawler
  23. Final Score
  24. Game Informer
  25. Gamers Only Older
  26. Gamers with Jobs
  27. Gamertag Radio
  28. Geekbox
  29. Giant Bombcast
  30. IGN Games
  31. INdieGames.com
  32. Joystiq
  33. Major Nelson
  34. One Life Left
  35. PC Gamer (UK)
  36. PC Gamer (US)
  37. Player One
  38. Playsation Nation
  39. Rebel FM
  40. Roguelike Radio
  41. RPG Weekly
  42. VGMpire
  43. Weekend Confirmed
  44. YoGPoD
#9 Posted by hollitz (1612 posts) -

I don't see the point in going to other sites, honestly. Gaming opinions from people whose tastes I don't know are meaningless to me. I think I'd like Eurogamer. That Digital Foundry stuff they do is fucking great.

I'll read things that Kat Bailey or Frank Cifaldi or Kevin Vanord write though, so that means an occasional trip to Gamespot or Joystiq or Gamesradar or Gamasutra.

#10 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Pretty much just Polygon and Siliconera.

#11 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

None.

But I do subscribe to several other gaming podcast RSS feeds.

#12 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Polygon, GameInformer, MMO-Champion mostly, then there are the odd ones every once in a while if there is an article that interests me.

#13 Posted by Pathos (202 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

40 different podcasts? They´re not weekly ones, are they? I can barely fit the Bombcast into most weeks.

I go to Gamespot, mostly for the reviews and different opinions and of course the mostly awesome video content the UK crew puts out. Other than that, a few smaller gaming blogs, Destructoid (even though I hate the comments there) aand a few developers I like to keep up with (forget about twitter- html, fool!)

Huh, I haven't really seen any of the UK stuff to be honest. Though I do remember watching a couple of Start/Select episodes when that first started. Any recommendations for some of their current videos? :)

@Branthog said:

@Pathos said:

@Branthog said:

I consume all of my podcast content on my iPad, so I can always have it with me -- and I don't hesitate to skip some podcasts, if the description doesn't entice me that week (though there are some I listen to, no matter what -- such as GB, Idle Thumbs, Weekend Confirmed, etc). I also don't really watch television or anything. So, I can easily consume a good 40 hours of podcasts each week.

If I didn't work from home or I consumed a lot of other entertainment content in other forms, I would probably have to cut it down to less than ten -- and even then, skip a lot of episodes.

Right now, I think I listen to (holy shit, it's even more shows than I thought -- and this is only the game related podcasts... and this is after I culled about ten from my feed):

1. Another Castle
  2. Core Elements
  4. HAWPCast
  5. Idle Thumbs
  7. Rooster Teeth
  8. Three Moves Ahead
  10. Retronauts
  11. 4Player Podcast
  12. 8-4 Play
  13. 8-bit Show
  14. Arcade Impossible
  15. Besties
  16. Brainy Gamer
  17. CAGcast
  18. ContinueCast
  19. Critical Hit
  20. Dead Pixel Live
  21. Destructoid
  22. Dungeon Crawler
  23. Final Score
  24. Game Informer
  25. Gamers Only Older
  26. Gamers with Jobs
  27. Gamertag Radio
  28. Geekbox
  29. Giant Bombcast
  30. IGN Games
  31. INdieGames.com
  32. Joystiq
  33. Major Nelson
  34. One Life Left
  35. PC Gamer (UK)
  36. PC Gamer (US)
  37. Player One
  38. Playsation Nation
  39. Rebel FM
  40. Roguelike Radio
  41. RPG Weekly
  42. VGMpire
  43. Weekend Confirmed
  44. YoGPoD

You are one crazy motha! I don't know about you but it got to stage where I couldn't do anything (brush my teeth, sleep, walk around the house) without listening to podcasts. It was crazy, can't say I didn't have fun though.

@hollitz said:

I don't see the point in going to other sites, honestly. Gaming opinions from people whose tastes I don't know are meaningless to me. I think I'd like Eurogamer. That Digital Foundry stuff they do is fucking great.

I'll read things that Kat Bailey or Frank Cifaldi or Kevin Vanord write though, so that means an occasional trip to Gamespot or Joystiq or Gamesradar or Gamasutra.

Listening to Kat and Frank talk about retro games/RPGs is always something to look forward to. I just remember Frank's story about this giant bug game on a Retronauts PAX podcast a couple of years back. That one's crazy! Yeah Kevin VanOrd is also another personality whose voice I respect. :)

But yeah, that Digital Foundry stuff is really in-depth and very informative. I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into every comparison.

@Vexxan said:

Pretty much just Polygon and Siliconera.

Siliconera, one to add to the list. :)

@Canteu said:

None.

But I do subscribe to several other gaming podcast RSS feeds.

Any favourite podcasts? :P

@Village_Guy said:

Polygon, GameInformer, MMO-Champion mostly, then there are the odd ones every once in a while if there is an article that interests me.

Do you read GI's magazines? They have some pretty neat stuff in there - though I'm guessing a lot of it shows up on the site?

#14 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

@Pathos: I can't get the magazine where I live, but some of content end up on their site every now and then.

Also I'm a big fan of (Super) Replay and enjoy Test Chamber most of the time.

#15 Posted by Branthog (5597 posts) -

@Pathos said:

@Superfriend said:

Huh, I haven't really seen any of the UK stuff to be honest. Though I do remember watching a couple of Start/Select episodes when that first started. Any recommendations for some of their current videos? :)

@Branthog said:

@Pathos said:

@Branthog said:

[...snip...]

You are one crazy motha! I don't know about you but it got to stage where I couldn't do anything (brush my teeth, sleep, walk around the house) without listening to podcasts. It was crazy, can't say I didn't have fun though.

Pretty much the same here, too. For all the trash I talked about early iPads, mine has become invaluable. I don't even go to the kitchen and cook breakfast or clean the cat litter or do laundry or clean the living room or something without my iPad by my side, so I can watch or listen to something (usually a podcast).

#16 Edited by Pathos (202 posts) -

@Village_Guy said:

@Pathos: I can't get the magazine where I live, but some of content end up on their site every now and then.

Also I'm a big fan of (Super) Replay and enjoy Test Chamber most of the time.

Man that sucks, Andy Macnamara's interviews are always a good read. He knows how to get the best answers. Plus, the art's amazing. Hmm, might have to check those out then! :D

@Branthog said:

Pretty much the same here, too. For all the trash I talked about early iPads, mine has become invaluable. I don't even go to the kitchen and cook breakfast or clean the cat litter or do laundry or clean the living room or something without my iPad by my side, so I can watch or listen to something (usually a podcast).

Glad to see I'm not the only one, everyone around me thought I was crazy! PS. Cat owner (Y)

PS. What are the things that bring you to those sites? What would you change about them?

#17 Posted by isomeri (1415 posts) -

Kotaku, Polygon and the Bonus Round features on Gametrailers if and when they have interesting guests on.

#18 Posted by christ0phe (946 posts) -

Polygon. Their articles are fantastic.

#19 Posted by believer258 (12187 posts) -

I check up on Total Biscuit's Youtube channel often enough, though I do not watch all of his videos. I also go to the Escapist to watch MovieBob's stuff and Yatzhee Croshaw's stuff, and occasionally an article here or there.

Occasionally I'll stick my nose into IGN or Gamespot to see what's going on over there - not because of the quality journalism but because they're the most popular and I tend to go over there often.

But most of the time I just visit Giantbomb.

#20 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I enjoy The Escapist quite a lot, but I also go to Penny Arcade, Polygon, Kotaku, Gamasutra, or if I'm just hunting around for content I'll look to any of the major sites.

#21 Posted by Splodge (1951 posts) -

RockPaperShotgun is fantastic for PC gaming related shenanigans.

#22 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

IGN, Gamespot, and Gametrailers. They're the big sites that post video reviews most often, which is nice.

also RPGFan even though their reviews are kind of useless most of the time.

#23 Posted by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

Joystiq and occasionally Polygon. Don't really like to branch out too much and really any news that may occasionally fall through the cracks on these three sites (GB included) I usually get from the forums here.

#24 Edited by Pathos (202 posts) -

@isomeri said:

Kotaku, Polygon and the Bonus Round features on Gametrailers if and when they have interesting guests on.

Any particular guests to keep an eye out for?

@christ0phe said:

Polygon. Their articles are fantastic.

Agreed. Their news is well written and their features all detailed and look really nice.@believer258 said:

I check up on Total Biscuit's Youtube channel often enough, though I do not watch all of his videos. I also go to the Escapist to watch MovieBob's stuff and Yatzhee Croshaw's stuff, and occasionally an article here or there.

Occasionally I'll stick my nose into IGN or Gamespot to see what's going on over there - not because of the quality journalism but because they're the most popular and I tend to go over there often.

But most of the time I just visit Giantbomb.

Haha TB, I remember him doing a lot of Tribes: Ascend stuff!

Yeah, GB is always a good hub for news/content in general. While Alex and Patrick don't break news too often, they actually do a fairly good job on following up on pieces and giving some added context to events.

@Gamer_152 said:

I enjoy The Escapist quite a lot, but I also go to Penny Arcade, Polygon, Kotaku, Gamasutra, or if I'm just hunting around for content I'll look to any of the major sites.

@Splodge said:

RockPaperShotgun is fantastic for PC gaming related shenanigans.

Definitely, and so is PC Gamer UK! Gotta love that British humour!

@FancySoapsMan said:

IGN, Gamespot, and Gametrailers. They're the big sites that post video reviews most often, which is nice.

also RPGFan even though their reviews are kind of useless most of the time.

Yeah, it makes me wish GB did more video reviews. :(

Haha, how so?

@SMTDante89 said:

Joystiq and occasionally Polygon. Don't really like to branch out too much and really any news that may occasionally fall through the cracks on these three sites (GB included) I usually get from the forums here.

Nah those two have some pretty solid writers on staff tbh. Some of the best really in terms of straight news. Yup, and NeoGAF is also a great place to find news that don't always get covered.

#25 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

@Pathos said:

@Superfriend said:

@Branthog said:

@Pathos said:

@Branthog said:

1. Another Castle
  2. Core Elements
  4. HAWPCast
  5. Idle Thumbs
  7. Rooster Teeth
  8. Three Moves Ahead
  10. Retronauts
  11. 4Player Podcast
  12. 8-4 Play
  13. 8-bit Show
  14. Arcade Impossible
  15. Besties
  16. Brainy Gamer
  17. CAGcast
  18. ContinueCast
  19. Critical Hit
  20. Dead Pixel Live
  21. Destructoid
  22. Dungeon Crawler
  23. Final Score
  24. Game Informer
  25. Gamers Only Older
  26. Gamers with Jobs
  27. Gamertag Radio
  28. Geekbox
  29. Giant Bombcast
  30. IGN Games
  31. INdieGames.com
  32. Joystiq
  33. Major Nelson
  34. One Life Left
  35. PC Gamer (UK)
  36. PC Gamer (US)
  37. Player One
  38. Playsation Nation
  39. Rebel FM
  40. Roguelike Radio
  41. RPG Weekly
  42. VGMpire
  43. Weekend Confirmed
  44. YoGPoD

I let this happen to me at one point but I had to trim it down because I was really relying on them to do anything and I would get moody if I wasn't listening to something. When I figured out I couldn't go on like that, I just eliminated podcasts as such: if one regular voice on a podcast got on my nerves (arthur gies, gamers with jobs people, ign people cackling loudly about pizza and subs and doing imitiation old-tymey radio sounds before segments), or subjects (board games) I'd just throw that shit right out of the rotation. I'm good with one a day at this point.

EDIT: and no other sites regularly. Ocassionally if Polygon has a hot scoop, I'll read it, or if someone on 1up wrote a blog that interests me.

#26 Posted by RedCream (694 posts) -

The content of Giant Bomb is plenty enough as it is but I also check up on game reviews in Gamespot and Rev3 Games on Youtube because of Sess-Money.

GB is also the only site that I joined in for the community because it's fantastic.

#27 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

RPS, PCGamer, and RPGFan are the only sites that I really go to other than GB on a regular basis. I sometimes poke around in Gamespy ever since Rorie was picked up. I lurk in RPGCodex occasionally, but I can only do it for about five minutes before the terrible people over there with their stupid fucking terminology give me a headache.

I do, however, listen to a ton of gaming podcasts.

#28 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

I came here from Gamespot out of curiosity after Jeff's exodus, and just found it to be a much more personal, down-to-earth experience. And the community is the best I've seen from any gaming site, not that it doesn't have its drawbacks sometimes.

For awhile, I still went to Kotaku and 1UP a bit, and sometimes still go to Cinemassacre just to see what that idiot's doing, but I pretty much just stick to GB anymore.

#29 Posted by Teoball (639 posts) -

I get all I need to know about games from this site. 

I do spend quite some time watching Let's Plays on the Somethingawful.com forums though.

#30 Posted by manicraider (87 posts) -

Looking/Reading/News: All of them.

Chatting/Commenting: IGN, GameTrailers, Kotaku, GameInformer.

#31 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

None besides gamefaqs if I get stuck on something, I mostly come here for entertainment because I pretty much already know what games I'm going to like or not. It is nice to hear about problems in advance about them though and I feel the podcast and quick looks do a decent enough job for me.

#32 Posted by hermes (1606 posts) -

I am subscribed to the RSS of Kotaku and Destructoid, mostly for the headlines.

I also visit occasionally The Escapist and Penny Arcade TV for video content.

#33 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

I still peruse Gamespot pretty often, especially because the GamespotUK content is golden.

#34 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

I sometimes visit GameSpot as I have a few friends over there and enjoy reading the user reviews. But I don't really like the forums or community, System Wars is incredibly stupid and it's full of jerks, it's basically just a cess pool of people trying to cyber bully each other over liking different systems. Unfortunately System Wars is the only place people post there, every other part of the site is dead.

I also visit IGN, it has a good layout and I tend to like their reviews and articles. The forums are so-so. The Escapist is also another site I visit and it's excellent, especially if you like RPG's. But they don't really do reviews or get news that often.

#35 Posted by Sergio (2249 posts) -

Giant Bomb mainly. Sometimes Polygon. Every so often PAR. I try to avoid Kotaku as much as possible.

#36 Posted by Cerevisiae (75 posts) -

Destructoid, The Escapist, and several Youtubers (Jessie Cox, TotalBiscuit, Purge, IndieStatik).

#37 Edited by Bane122 (811 posts) -

I regularly go to Shacknews, Rev3 games, Did You Know Gaming, and 360achievements.org. When I need specific info I visit various MMO sites and, when all else fails, Gamefaqs.

#38 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

GIANT BOMB NUMBER ONE WITH A BULLET, SON.

I also visit gametrailers, screwattack, gamespot... that's about it, aside from the occasional sensationalist kotaku article or zero punctuation episode.

#39 Posted by Sweep (8976 posts) -

I follow many writers and journalists on twitter, and click on whichever stories catch my interest regardless of which site it's from and without prejudice. I have no loyalty to any site other than Giant Bomb, however.

#40 Posted by CrunchyPickles (94 posts) -

I mostly frequent here (have for a while but only a few weeks ago did I bother to register), Massively/Joystiq, Rock Paper Shotgun, Gather Your Party, Forbes, sometimes Polygon, and very rarely 1up. I wish 1up would update their PC section more often, if they did I'd probably go there more.

#41 Posted by Little_Socrates (5715 posts) -

Polygon, mostly.

Other than Giant Bomb, Twitter is my primary gaming site at this point, though. I followed mostly games-industry people, so my feed is constantly sputtering with new articles from Leigh Alexander, Jim Sterling, Mattie Brice, Jenn Frank, and anything the Harmonix guys found interesting. I'm very site-agnostic, though I've found I generally don't like IGN for anything other than their kind-of-ridiculous lists.

#42 Posted by GunstarRed (5459 posts) -

Gamespot. Mostly for the UK stuff. I listen to the podcast semi regularly and Feedbackula is brilliant.

I've been visiting the Rev 3 stuff in the last year or so. It's cool that Adam Sessler has joined, but I thought I'd end up hating that Anthony, Tara and Max and I think they're pretty good.

IGN and Eurogamer for bits here and there.

#43 Posted by Galiant (2195 posts) -

I don't go anywhere else, which makes the few things I don't like about Giant Bomb seem all the worse: Mainly it's just one person that I can't stand anymore.

#44 Posted by Rihanna (85 posts) -

Destructoid and IGN are my favorite sites for news and articles about videogames.

I also like the Rev3 Games youtube channel.

#45 Posted by Lord_Xp (606 posts) -

This is the only Video Game forum i go to now. But as for news wise I always read Eurogamer avoiding comments all the time. Since I'm a Sony fan I read Playstatioinlifestyle.net. They seem to get really deep into detail about everything PlayStation. They have a lot of articles about rumors surrounding the PlayStation 4 a.k.a. Orbis. Sometimes I'll visit G4 for some news and see what Eurogamer missed.

#46 Posted by RioStarwind (578 posts) -

Other than here I mostly go to Joystiq, Kotaku, and Polygon and that is just for the news stories mainly. Any other gaming site you might have heard of I might visit at some point but not daily.

#47 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

Destructiod, Escapist, and Penny-Arcade

#48 Posted by TheSlothKing (331 posts) -

GAF (mostly for the vgcw thread) sometimes and Gameinformer for their replays.

#49 Posted by Hosstile17 (768 posts) -

I really only go to this site. Back in college, I was all over Gamespot, Kotaku, and IGN. But, I work and travel a lot, now. There is something nice about only going to one place that only seems to cover the news I actually care about.

#50 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

Destructoid, PAR, Rock Paper Shotgun, and a bit of IGN, Gamespot and Siliconera.