Pathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Pathos

@aquamarin said:

I let this happen to me at one point but I had to trim it down because I was really relying on them to do anything and I would get moody if I wasn't listening to something. When I figured out I couldn't go on like that, I just eliminated podcasts as such: if one regular voice on a podcast got on my nerves (arthur gies, gamers with jobs people, ign people cackling loudly about pizza and subs and doing imitiation old-tymey radio sounds before segments), or subjects (board games) I'd just throw that shit right out of the rotation. I'm good with one a day at this point.

EDIT: and no other sites regularly. Ocassionally if Polygon has a hot scoop, I'll read it, or if someone on 1up wrote a blog that interests me.

You know what, I can honestly relate to that. It can become some sort of weird addiction, one that needs a bit of explaining - unlike drugs, alcohol, etc.

@RedCream said:

The content of Giant Bomb is plenty enough as it is but I also check up on game reviews in Gamespot and Rev3 Games on Youtube because of Sess-Money.

GB is also the only site that I joined in for the community because it's fantastic.

Can't agree with you more my friend. Love coming here from the content to the community it's a pretty sweet place to be :)

@SirOptimusPrime said:

RPS, PCGamer, and RPGFan are the only sites that I really go to other than GB on a regular basis. I sometimes poke around in Gamespy ever since Rorie was picked up. I lurk in RPGCodex occasionally, but I can only do it for about five minutes before the terrible people over there with their stupid fucking terminology give me a headache.

I do, however, listen to a ton of gaming podcasts.

Haha, PC Gaming ftw! Oh wow, I'm going to be completely honest here and admit that I didn't know that Rorie is over at GSpy, I'm going to have to check out his work there. :D Haha what type of terminology do they use?

@frankfartmouth said:

I came here from Gamespot out of curiosity after Jeff's exodus, and just found it to be a much more personal, down-to-earth experience. And the community is the best I've seen from any gaming site, not that it doesn't have its drawbacks sometimes.

For awhile, I still went to Kotaku and 1UP a bit, and sometimes still go to Cinemassacre just to see what that idiot's doing, but I pretty much just stick to GB anymore.

Yeah definitely how I came across it. Listening to the Arrow Pointing Down podcast and checking out the beta WordPress lol. Haha it's also an excellent ace to fill up friends list - it made Most Wanted even better having a whole bunch of duders to race and compete with.

@Teoball said:

I get all I need to know about games from this site. I do spend quite some time watching Let's Plays on the Somethingawful.com forums though.

Let's Plays - video is definitely the way to go now,

@kerse said:

None besides gamefaqs if I get stuck on something, I mostly come here for entertainment because I pretty much already know what games I'm going to like or not. It is nice to hear about problems in advance about them though and I feel the podcast and quick looks do a decent enough job for me.

The podcasts and QLs have personally replaced reviews for me for the most part.

@hermes said:

I am subscribed to the RSS of Kotaku and Destructoid, mostly for the headlines.

I also visit occasionally The Escapist and Penny Arcade TV for video content.

What are your favourite videos from Penny Arcade? :D

@Yummylee said:

I still peruse Gamespot pretty often, especially because the GamespotUK content is golden.

Man, that's twice I've seen GS UK come up! :P

@ShadowMoses900 said:

I sometimes visit GameSpot as I have a few friends over there and enjoy reading the user reviews. But I don't really like the forums or community, System Wars is incredibly stupid and it's full of jerks, it's basically just a cess pool of people trying to cyber bully each other over liking different systems. Unfortunately System Wars is the only place people post there, every other part of the site is dead.

I also visit IGN, it has a good layout and I tend to like their reviews and articles. The forums are so-so. The Escapist is also another site I visit and it's excellent, especially if you like RPG's. But they don't really do reviews or get news that often.

Speaking from personal experience, posting on the GS forums was aways an easy way to get a whole bunch of unwarranted dickishness and hostility directed at you. I can only picture it being poison for anyone new signing up.

Despite their lack of reviews and news, The Escapist gets a lot of views - menas their original content is top notch.

@punkxblaze said:

GIANT BOMB NUMBER ONE WITH A BULLET, SON.

I also visit gametrailers, screwattack, gamespot... that's about it, aside from the occasional sensationalist kotaku article or zero punctuation episode.

NUMBER ONE IN EVERY CITTAAAAAAAAAAYYY!!

@Sweep said:

I follow many writers and journalists on twitter, and click on whichever stories catch my interest regardless of which site it's from and without prejudice. I have no loyalty to any site other than Giant Bomb, however.

Haha I follow them too, it wasn't until after a while that I realised that hey, these guys are just people they aren't always going to be posting games related stuff.

@CrunchyPickles said:

I mostly frequent here (have for a while but only a few weeks ago did I bother to register), Massively/Joystiq, Rock Paper Shotgun, Gather Your Party, Forbes, sometimes Polygon, and very rarely 1up. I wish 1up would update their PC section more often, if they did I'd probably go there more.

What attracts you to those sites? Is it their videos? News? Rants? :P

@Little_Socrates said:

Polygon, mostly.

Other than Giant Bomb, Twitter is my primary gaming site at this point, though. I followed mostly games-industry people, so my feed is constantly sputtering with new articles from Leigh Alexander, Jim Sterling, Mattie Brice, Jenn Frank, and anything the Harmonix guys found interesting. I'm very site-agnostic, though I've found I generally don't like IGN for anything other than their kind-of-ridiculous lists.

Sweet, it's the approach that I (and our site) are using. It's an excellent way to stay informed and pick up on stuff not always covered by sites.

I found that and all the other media stuff they post feels too cluttered and annoying. It really takes away from their content.

@GunstarRed said:

Gamespot. Mostly for the UK stuff. I listen to the podcast semi regularly and Feedbackula is brilliant.

I've been visiting the Rev 3 stuff in the last year or so. It's cool that Adam Sessler has joined, but I thought I'd end up hating that Anthony, Tara and Max and I think they're pretty good.

IGN and Eurogamer for bits here and there.

GS UK again! Alright, they are now on my "these guys are cool" list! :D

Adam is definitely a personality who, despite being very media trained and stuff, is entertaining to watch!

@Galiant said:

I don't go anywhere else, which makes the few things I don't like about Giant Bomb seem all the worse: Mainly it's just one person that I can't stand anymore.

Ahh, fair enough. Do you feel that news and opinions should remain separate?

@Rihanna said:

Destructoid and IGN are my favorite sites for news and articles about videogames.

I also like the Rev3 Games youtube channel.

What about their articles stand out to you? :)

@Lord_Xp said:

This is the only Video Game forum i go to now. But as for news wise I always read Eurogamer avoiding comments all the time. Since I'm a Sony fan I read Playstatioinlifestyle.net. They seem to get really deep into detail about everything PlayStation. They have a lot of articles about rumors surrounding the PlayStation 4 a.k.a. Orbis. Sometimes I'll visit G4 for some news and see what Eurogamer missed.

This is the first time I've seen PS Lifestyle, will check it. Thanks for the tip! :D

@RioStarwind said:

Other than here I mostly go to Joystiq, Kotaku, and Polygon and that is just for the news stories mainly. Any other gaming site you might have heard of I might visit at some point but not daily.

If you were to visit another site, what would make you visit it daily? :)

@Hosstile17 said:

I really only go to this site. Back in college, I was all over Gamespot, Kotaku, and IGN. But, I work and travel a lot, now. There is something nice about only going to one place that only seems to cover the news I actually care about.

So you prefer having just a couple of well researched and thought out articles a day instead a bombardment of tabloidy opinions masquerading as "news"? That's a dig against Kotaku btw. :P

@Bishna said:

Destructoid, PAR, Rock Paper Shotgun, and a bit of IGN, Gamespot and Siliconera.

What keeps you going to them again and again? :)

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By hermes

@Pathos said:

@hermes said:

To be fair, the only video that is worth a damn in PATV is Extra Credits.

For something similar, I would recommend the youtube videos of the "errant signal" series

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By galiant
@Pathos No, nothing like that. The bombcast is my favorite content and at the moment I feel I'd enjoy it more if it were just four guys again.
jebara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By jebara

Destructoid,Silliconerra, The Escapist, Gematsu and Screwattack.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Funkydupe

I don't visit other forums but a few for sports. I'm watching less and less video content here though.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By warchief

NeoGAF and Giantbomb is all I need.

NeoGAF because well that's where all the other sites get info [looking at you kotaku].

Giantbomb because the content is fantastic.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Icemo

Gamebomb.ru. They fill all my gaming needs with their original content and they have this awesome mascot that talks!

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By LikeaSsur

This is pretty much it. Between Patrick's articles and the forums, I get my fix of gaming news.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Destructoid, Massively, Joystiq, Gamebreaker.tv, and occasionally Polygon

CrunchyPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By CrunchyPickles

@Pathos said:

@CrunchyPickles said:

I mostly frequent here (have for a while but only a few weeks ago did I bother to register), Massively/Joystiq, Rock Paper Shotgun, Gather Your Party, Forbes, sometimes Polygon, and very rarely 1up. I wish 1up would update their PC section more often, if they did I'd probably go there more.

I don't think I can really pin it to any one thing that brings me back to the sites. If I had to try though I guess it'd probably be that they tend to be a little more... I dunno, cynical I guess, in their reviews. Most of the time they don't seem to be afraid to really dig into a game and analyze it, rather than glossing over the negatives to get to the positives quicker and pump out a 8/10 or 9/10. I like it when they point out flaws, because it gives me some honest analysis to help determine whether or not I ultimately get a game. That's not to say they never give glowing reviews though, Erik Kain's review of Dark Souls for example consistently praised the game, but even with that positive aspect he was still able to find some negatives to balance it out.

Also I forgot to mention cinemablend, I just can't help but love William Usher's articles, he often makes good points, though with a certain... belligerence towards corporations most of the time. But in an era where publishers are selling $60 games with $50 of day 1 DLC and microtransactions peppered throughout the games, I'd say it's good that we have at least one guy trying to rip companies like EA, Activision, etc. a new asshole with words.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Jeldh

@Icemo said:

Gamebomb.ru. They fill all my gaming needs with their original content and they have this awesome mascot that talks!

haha! I didnt knew this still existed!

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#62  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

@Pathos said:

@RioStarwind said:

Other than here I mostly go to Joystiq, Kotaku, and Polygon and that is just for the news stories mainly. Any other gaming site you might have heard of I might visit at some point but not daily.

If it had a good forum community like here (most of the time) I would check it out at least once a day. Having a notable/funny personalty on the site could also help out a lot since that's what also kept me coming to GB all the time. Plus having someone that can write a good story about something that happened in the world of video games couldn't hurt either. Since most of the other sites I got to are for news I mainly read text or in podcast form if I find time for them.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#63  Edited By Cathryn

I watch GameInformer's news headlines via RSS and I read a lot of stuff on SIliconera, but this is the only site I comment on or spend any amount of time on. If I'm interested in reading a bunch of reviews about a game, I use metacritic as a hub and pick and choose which reviews I'll read from there since they're all in once place.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

The only time I vebture to other sites is when they're within the first few google results.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ShockD

IGN from time to time.

Avatar image for thirtiethtwelve
Pathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Pathos

@hermes said:

@Pathos said:

@hermes said:

To be fair, the only video that is worth a damn in PATV is Extra Credits.

For something similar, I would recommend the youtube videos of the "errant signal" series

Thanks for the tips mate! Going into topics (and games) that often fall of the front page of most sites is a pretty neat thing to do. Mind you, these guys already do it pretty well. :)

@Galiant said:

@Pathos No, nothing like that. The bombcast is my favorite content and at the moment I feel I'd enjoy it more if it were just four guys again.

Yeah I felt the same way at the beginning, I don't mind the fifth voice so much anymore though. I guess he's found his place in the show without over powering it like before.

@jebara said:

Destructoid,Silliconerra, The Escapist, Gematsu and Screwattack.

Gematsu's been pretty sweet for translating Japanese press releases and such! Will check out Screw attack :)

@Funkydupe said:

I don't visit other forums but a few for sports. I'm watching less and less video content here though.

Just for general sports discussion or sports gaming? Why less and less video content here? :(

@Warchief said:

NeoGAF and Giantbomb is all I need.

NeoGAF because well that's where all the other sites get info [looking at you kotaku].

Giantbomb because the content is fantastic.

I'm going to be completely honest and mention that Aloe Blacc's "I Need A Dollar" was the first thing that popped into my head when I read this. :P

Haha yeah, more than one occasion have I found breaking stories in there!

Agreed! What in particular do you like about it? Is it because of the way they work off of each other or how good they are at just saying funny shit off the top of their heads?

@Icemo said:

Let's not forget the fact that they had the earliest review for Brink (I think that was the game lol)!

@LikeaSsur said:

This is pretty much it. Between Patrick's articles and the forums, I get my fix of gaming news.

Yeah I found Patrick being a welcome addition in terms of the news and article side of everything. His Worth Reading columns are brilliant!

@BabyChooChoo said:

Destructoid, Massively, Joystiq, Gamebreaker.tv, and occasionally Polygon

Gamebreaker, hmm another one to add to the list thanks!

Why do you like those sites in particular? Any favourite columns/shows? :)

@CrunchyPickles said:

@Pathos said:

@CrunchyPickles said:

I don't think I can really pin it to any one thing that brings me back to the sites. If I had to try though I guess it'd probably be that they tend to be a little more... I dunno, cynical I guess, in their reviews. Most of the time they don't seem to be afraid to really dig into a game and analyze it, rather than glossing over the negatives to get to the positives quicker and pump out a 8/10 or 9/10. I like it when they point out flaws, because it gives me some honest analysis to help determine whether or not I ultimately get a game. That's not to say they never give glowing reviews though, Erik Kain's review of Dark Souls for example consistently praised the game, but even with that positive aspect he was still able to find some negatives to balance it out.

Also I forgot to mention cinemablend, I just can't help but love William Usher's articles, he often makes good points, though with a certain... belligerence towards corporations most of the time. But in an era where publishers are selling $60 games with $50 of day 1 DLC and microtransactions peppered throughout the games, I'd say it's good that we have at least one guy trying to rip companies like EA, Activision, etc. a new asshole with words.

Thanks for writing such a detailed answer mate, I appreciate it. Hmm, as a person just starting out as a reviewer it can be tempting to just fall into the trap of "woah I'm writing about games, isn't this awesome?" and actually think like a critic. I guess it's often by observing and detailing the little annoying parts of games that you can truly find analysis, and not just a buyer recommendation.

Haha, now this I've gotta see! PS. My mate Jake wrote his two cents on the whole Glee v JoCo situation from last week. It's worth a read if you're into people actually having a go at some of these companies. The site's link is also in my mini bio above. :)

@RioStarwind said:

@Pathos said:

@RioStarwind said:

If it had a good forum community like here (most of the time) I would check it out at least once a day. Having a notable/funny personalty on the site could also help out a lot since that's what also kept me coming to GB all the time. Plus having someone that can write a good story about something that happened in the world of video games couldn't hurt either. Since most of the other sites I got to are for news I mainly read text or in podcast form if I find time for them.

Good combo: Solid content + great personality brings people in to your site, an awesome community keeps them coming back! :D

Do you prefer something like a newspaper expose or an informative (and subjective) take on a current issue?

@Cathryn said:

I watch GameInformer's news headlines via RSS and I read a lot of stuff on SIliconera, but this is the only site I comment on or spend any amount of time on. If I'm interested in reading a bunch of reviews about a game, I use metacritic as a hub and pick and choose which reviews I'll read from there since they're all in once place.

What makes GB your favourite place to post/comment? While using metacritic have you find any particular sites' reviewers that you keep reading regularly? @_Chad said:

The only time I vebture to other sites is when they're within the first few google results.

Alright, gotta work on that page ranking! :P

@ShockD said:

IGN from time to time.

What exactly do you like about IGN? Are there any particularly features/writers that you look out for? :)

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Coombs

uh-Theer-gAme-Sigh-tes

What are these uh-Theer-gAme-Sigh-tes of which you speak?

....I'm scared and confused

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ShockD
@Pathos: I go to IGN for the reviews as GB sometimes skips big titles.
nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By nerdsbeware

Polygon, RPS, Joystiq a majority of the time since for whatever reason Giantbomb is blocked at work for "streaming media" (even though I can sit and run Youtube, Netflix and various other sites with videos on them). Sometimes I like the features on Gamespot like the "The Story Thus Far" series for Assassin's Creed right before AC3 came out.

Bluenews still as well from time to time.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Pathos: I like Destructoid because I feel despite the flak they get from a lot of people, they have some of the best editorials around. Jim Sterling is a legitimately good, smart writer with a sense of humor that, admittedly, isn't for everyone lol. Still, he and everyone else there are good at what they do.

I like Massively and Joystiq because they crank out news like nobodyy's business haha. Nothing too special in my opinion, but still good.

Gamebreaker.tv is a bit of a weird one for me. They're relatively young compared to most gaming sites and they mostly cover MMOs with a few other PC games sprinkled in. What I like about them is they do pretty much all video content when possible (they have like 5 different podcasts and they do them all live! I love that.). There are written articles and things too (which are also very good), but it's mostly video. Also, a few of the hosts are pretty damn funny/interesting and I like their interaction with the community. Now, what sorta bugs me about them is, personally, I like listening to very deep, meaningful discussions about video games (discussions you would find on the Bombcast, RebelFM, and so on and so on) and I feel they rarely provide that. Don't get me wrong, they have some great discussions on the GBTV, but I feel like they don't take certain points/topics far enough. It's like "oh, we'll kinda talk about this thing for a bit then move onto the next thing." Their discussions feel shallow in comparison to a lot of competitors. Again, they are far from terrible. Great even. I just wish they dove a bit deeper at times.

And, finally, I like Polygon because I honestly think they have one of the best looking sites I've ever seen. That, and they have a good amount of well-rounded content. Reviews, editorials, random pieces about random things in the industry and so on and so on. The reason I don't visit it too much though is because I feel like it lacks personality so to speak. Like, if I didn't know there were multiple writers beforehand, I could easily assume everything was written by one dude.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#71  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

@Pathos said:

Good combo: Solid content + great personality brings people in to your site, an awesome community keeps them coming back! :D

Do you prefer something like a newspaper expose or an informative (and subjective) take on a current issue?

I usually just want to see the news in a simple just tell me the facts right now kinda way. I don't spend to much time on checking them but I always come back later to see if anything else happened that might have been news worthy.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#72  Edited By Cathryn

@Pathos said: What makes GB your favourite place to post/comment? While using metacritic have you find any particular sites' reviewers that you keep reading regularly?

Well, I'm actually one of the people who left Gamespot when Jeff was let go from there in late 2007. I was a big fan of the Hotspot all the editors who were regularly on that show, so I just started hanging out here when the website opened. I've found a nice group of users who are into a lot of the same games I am and they keep me coming back here to discuss and crack wise. Also, I love the GB list features, since I always keep fairly detailed records about all the media I consume.

I generally pick and choose based on which outlets have reviewed a game. Sometimes the titles I play are so niche that only a couple major outlets will review them, but generally I'll at least skim over GameSpot, IGN, EGM, GameInformer, Polygon, Destructoid and a couple others.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#73  Edited By Snail

Mostly Eurogamer and Gamespot, the former being the favorite of the two. Occasionally Polygon as well. Giant Bomb is definitely the editorial website I visit the most.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mrfluke

giantbomb is too engrained in my daily internet usage now that its impossible to not have this be the site is visit the most.

but ive been also going to polygon, joystiq and kotaku, and ign lately.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gametrailers on the weekend.

IGN simply for the App Store Update every day, useful to get some free games.

Polygon for their articles.

Escapist for their "Weekly shows"

And usually I get news a lot through Tweeter.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By emprpngn

Giant Bomb, Game Informer, Idle Thumbs, Gamasutra, #AltDevBlogADay, Gamers With Jobs, and Dark Station.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Axe Factor

PC gamer

IGN

Gamespot

Gametrailers

CVG

Destructoid

I'm obsessed with gaming discussions and media I find it more interesting then 95 percent of TV.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Hitchenson

I only regular this and Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By medacris

Rock, Paper, Shotgun and The Escapist. I used to go to Kotaku, but I quit purely because there was no way of hiding the comments. I don't actually know of many other gaming sites, and I don't have an account on any except this one.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#80  Edited By pr1mus

None. Because no other site i sorta like do much video content and i'm way too lazy to read most of the time.

I quickly check the front page of Joystiq and Rock Paper Shotgun every couple days i guess and Polygon and Destructoid like once a week. I get most of my news through Reddit and Twitter.