#1 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

So what RPG would you recommend on the pc, I don't care when it was released. I would prefer if the games you recommended has Interesting environments and some big boss battles. thanks in advance for all the answers.

#2 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

PC Exclusive RPGs or just RPG's that exist on PC but maybe also probably on consoles?

#3 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

The Witcher. Look, it's so masterfully good in so many compelling ways that I can't find the strength to praise it.

In my humble opinion, the greatest third person PC RPG ever made.

• Environment: The environment and universe of both Witcher games are universally acclaimed
  • Boss battles: Evil undead dogs, big ass spider mother, stone titans, a powerful sorcerer, and more.
#4 Posted by Shotgunblast97 (125 posts) -

@Azteck Just RPGs that exist on pc.

#5 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Morrowind, Torchlight II.

#6 Edited by NeoGecko (151 posts) -
#7 Posted by HarlechQuinn (449 posts) -
#8 Posted by BeachThunder (11985 posts) -

Binding of Isaac has awesome boss fights, and it definitely has interesting environments. Also, PC exclusive.

You're welcome :P

#9 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

bioware/black isle studios late 1990s/ early 2000's

#10 Posted by NyxFe (248 posts) -

The Witcher and the Witcher 2 are absolute must plays. I prefer the first but the second is much more visually stunning and a bit more playable by modern standards. I would still highly recommend both. 

If you are in to D&D at all, The Temple of Elemental Evil is excellent. Also Neverwinter Nights 1/2, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc.

#11 Edited by believer258 (11948 posts) -

Dragon Age Origins, Morrowind, The Witcher 1 and 2, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and NV.

If you've never played so-called "classic" PCRPG's, you should know that a lot of them feel clunky and hard to play to newcomers. Yeah, they were more complex, but oftentimes almost unnecessarily so. I don't necessarily hate them, and I respect the hell out of them, but I can't recommend those kinds of games to someone who didn't play them when they were new.

#12 Posted by Deusx (1905 posts) -

Dark Souls, nothing else.

#13 Edited by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

The Witcher. Look, it's so masterfully good in so many compelling ways that I can't find the strength to praise it.

Are there any First Person RPGs besides Elder Scrolls and the new Fallouts?

I would say Witcher I is the best RPg with a real-time combat system.

#14 Posted by stooven (33 posts) -
#15 Posted by BeachThunder (11985 posts) -

@Abendlaender said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

• Borderlandses
  • System Shocks
  • Deus Exs
  • Legend of Grimrock

#16 Posted by TobbRobb (4663 posts) -

Dark Souls, Dragon Age:Origins. Baldurs Gate 2. Witcher 1 and 2. PROBABLY MORE BUT LATER.

#17 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@Abendlaender said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

• Borderlandses
  • System Shocks
  • Deus Exs
  • Legend of Grimrock

Hmm, I never thought of these games as RPGs with the exception of Deus Ex but I can see what you mean

#18 Edited by PenguinDust (12532 posts) -

Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dales, Planetscape Torment and the first two Fallouts if you're looking for something from the golden age of PC RPGs. I read that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will be dropping onto PC and tablets at the end of the month.

#19 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

My go to will always be Deus Ex for this situation. Still my favorite single player game of all time. If you liked it, play The Nameless Mod too. It doesn't take itself too seriously but it's one of the best single player mods out there for any game IMO.

I'll also give a nod to Legend of Grimrock which was mentioned here already. I never played a dungeon crawler but got it for ~$6 and fell in love with it.

If you really enjoy dungeon crawling, I recommend Dungeons of Dredmor which I liked a lot more than Binding of Isaac. There is just so much versatility to that game that anybody could play it any way they want whether they think that's the best load out or just to fuck around.

#20 Posted by Jeust (10676 posts) -
  • Cthulhu Saves The World
  • Jade Empire
  • Alpha Protocol
#21 Posted by LastNinja (281 posts) -

All the Fallout games, Planescape Torment, Knights of the Old Republic, System Shock 1 & 2. For more check out this list.

#22 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Baldur's Gates, Icewind Dales, Planetscape Torment and the first two Fallouts if you're looking for something from the golden age of PC RPGs. I read that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition will be dropping onto PC and tablets at the end of the month.

#23 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

All Bioware games

All the Black Isle games

Never Winter Night's 2

Alpha Protocol

The Witcher 1/2

#24 Posted by Halcypher (16 posts) -

@Deusx said:

Dark Souls, nothing else.

On sale on Steam at the moment.

@TobbRobb said:

Dark Souls, Dragon Age:Origins. Baldurs Gate 2. Witcher 1 and 2. PROBABLY MORE BUT LATER.

I second all these.

#25 Edited by darren1988 (1 posts) -

I'm very surprised people mentioned Morrowind but not Oblivion.

#26 Posted by Brodehouse (9965 posts) -

So I played through KOTOR2 over the last month, finished it last week. That game is great. You should play it. It has one of the best NPC companions of any game I've ever played. To the point where it feels like the game is more about her than you.

I'm playing through Planescape Torment right now. This game is extremely well written. Though the combat and general progression is ... I'm playing it on the piss-easiest difficulty and it still takes forever to move through the story. And it could maybe do with a bit of critical pathing out of the gate, it would have saved them some trouble and allowed them to introduce the best stuff first instead of having me wander around, walking right past possible companions because I didn't realize they were worth talking to. I'm 10 hours into that game, I feel like it hasn't even started.

I played a bit of NWN2 in between KOTOR2 and Torment... The party AI in that game remains hideous. I want to play every Obsidian game before South Park comes out, but I might have to skip NWN2, or turn the difficulty down to piss.

#27 Edited by natedawg_kz (234 posts) -

The Witcher 2!