I listen to all the whiskey media podcast and a life well wasted (even though it hasn't been updated in a while), what are other podcast that are considered musts in the realms of games, comics, movies,and tech.
Though it is outside your criteria, Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is fantastic. It's updated very irregularly though. As for other gaming related ones, I like Weekend Confirmed. Though sometimes the hosts disagree with my opinions in such a way that I swear I'll never listen to another episode again. Talkradar is also not too shabby. If I have time in the week, I'll also try to catch an episode of The Game Informer Show.
Not as good as the Whiskey family of podcasts I do listen to the G4 feedback for primarily 2 reasons: Adam Sessler & it's just about always less than one hour. True it is a video podcast but I often will just do what I do with the bombcast, volume up & switch off the monitor then turn on the 360 with the tv on mute to tackle whatever I'm playing on the 360 while listening.
I listen to 1up's "Games, Dammit" sometimes, "Stuff You Should Know" and "Tech Stuff" from HowStuffWorks.com, "This Week In Tech" and "Tech News Today" from Leo Laporte's TWiT Network, and it's off topic altogether but "Hypothetical Help" from Scott Johnson's Frogpants Network.
Personally I like to listen to 8-4 Play for more Japan-centric news and State of the Game because I love me some SC2. I used to listen to Weekend Confirmed until they changed something and I stopped being able to download it directly or through the Android app.
TalkRadar, Rebel FM, eff Weekend Confirmed (see: it's too boring>hosts talk about bs such as games are art type shit although not always that topic specifically), the geekbox, the gamespy debriefings. See other myriad of threads about this topic for more answers.
The gamespy debriefings is usually pretty funny, quickly became one of my favorites recently.
- Retronauts is pretty awesome for retro stuff, really smart cast
- The mobcast from bit mob is ok, low energy, but they usually have good guests and good episodes can be pretty entertaining
- IGN has a ton of podcasts, Girlfight can be fun, and Nintendo Voice Chat is good if you find it funny how they impossibly manage to fill 45 mins talking about Nintendo stuff
- As for non gaming stuff, I like The Bugle, which is a funny news show (Serious news made funny, not funny news played seriously) The Judge John Hodgeman is adorable, funny and surprisingly informative, and the Distorted View Show if you like laughing at some pretty messed up stuff.
Well besides the Bombcast, of course.
Talkradar is pretty hilarious, mainly because the host, Chris Antista, is a very funny duder. They're really knowledgeable about gaming, especially older stuff. They use sound clips a good bit and they're usually hilarious.
I also like to listen to a couple of the IGN podcasts(Beyond, Gamescoop). They have some great guys and gals over there. Very involved with the listeners.
I listen to Weekend Confirmed sometimes too. The host is unnecessarily immature sometimes, but it doesn't bother me, nor do I find it funny.
I should never have looked at this thread. The Bombcast eats up a large enough chunk of my time (I'm making my way through the archives), and a lot of these suggestions are tempting.
Weekend Confirmed is currently my favorite podcast. Those guys are always energetic and the show is broken up very well with music breaks. Their discussion about games is some of the best commentary out there. Though, they are not quite as comical as the bombcast crew.
- Weekend Confirmed: A lot of focus on abstract qualities of games and gaming trends. It's hosted by Garnett Lee (who use to host the best gaming podcast ever, 1up Yours), and Jeff Cannata has a refreshing take on games (i.e. he isn't your average jaded gamers).
- IGN Gamescoop, Podcast Beyond, Podcast Unlocked: Haters be damned, I like the personalities that IGN has collected the past few years. Colin Moriarty, Anthony Gallegos, and Arthur Gies were great pick-ups who are always fun to listen to.
- G4 Feedback: Another media outlet that gets a lot of hate. This podcast is basically everything that was good about X-Play. Adam Sessler really shows how much time he has been in this industry by giving great insight.
- Rebel FM: Laid back-style of game conversation. Oddly, this is probably one of the few podcasts that retains itself to discussing games. No industry talk; just what they are playing and what's fun/not fun about them.
- Geekbox: Games, comics, TV, movies podcast by some ex-1up staff and a dude who owns a comic shop.
- The Gamespy Debriefings: Hear two dudes talk about how they bang a lot of chicks while making fun of the guy who hosts the Geekbox.
- Totally Rad Show: Three guys who do a mix of reviews (games, comics, TV, movies) and random fun episodes (e.g. play niche board games or trivia games among themselves).
- Smodcast: Hear the guy who directed Clerks and Dogma make dick jokes.
Other Geek-Centric Podcasts
This American Life. There's something palpably beautiful about each story, such as my personal favorite: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/220/testosterone
bagged and boarded. (comics/games)
wtf with marc maron (he interviews comedians/shoots the shit) i just started listening to him not to long ago and have grown to like the cast.
the nerdist (chris hardwick and friends discuss nerdy shit) the nathon fillion episode is pretty funny.
I would like to mention AllGenGamers. They have a great and long podcast that is updated every week. Great chemistry between everyone and generally nice guys. They are more into collecting and less hardcore views on games though. AKA, they generally praise every game in one way or another. They are also really into talking about older games obviously as collectors. Anyways, great great podcast that I enjoy and watch the members youtube shows frequently too.