What RPGs to look forward to in 2016?

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

With Fallout 4 mostly completed I am now looking for the next game in my favorite genre, RPG. So since I haven't heard much in the way of RPGs in the coming year I have come to you guys to see what you guys are looking forward to.

So which RPGs announced (or speculated) for 2016 are you most looking forward to?

alisbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Excited for deus ex mankind divided. Will be one the greatest games of the year. Persona 5 also will be an incredible game without question (let your hype run free and unrestricted, these games will be great I'm sure(I'm not sure))

Star ocean 5 is also a thing. I've star oceaned before. It could happen again.

I also feel like saying dishonoured 2... I don't think you even have an inventory... I don't think you can talk to people. I have no idea why I'd say it...

dishonoured 2

Also worth mentioning, I don't really keep up with upcoming indie releases, but some of these indie RPGs have been so incredible and so memorable even when compared to the big AAA releases. Games like Lisa, Stray Cat Crossing, Undertale came out of absolutely nowhere, at least to me. Indie RPGS go from strength to strength and I'm sure there's going to be more next year.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given your mention of Fallout 4 I imagine that it's more WRPGs you are looking for.

Nonetheless, Persona 5 and SMTIV Final are both things coming out next year. (Who am I kidding, I live in Australia. I'll be lucky to see SMTIV Final by 2017.)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater
CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It is always an interesting topic idea to talk about upcoming RPG's. I have a few that I'd like to single out. On the 3DS, we have the new Fire Emblem games (Conquest/Birthright) coming in February. That's pretty exciting. Dragon Quest VII and VIII coming to the 3DS is something I'm interested in, too. On the Wii U, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD will be published in March. I have found that playing A Link Between Worlds and Wind Waker HD and enjoying them a lot has me excited for both Twilight Princess HD and the new Zelda U coming next year. That's a pretty good beginning to the new year.

And although you mention 2016, having Xenoblade Chronicles X right around the corner in December is also something I'm looking forward to. That game will be probably stay with me throughout 2016 to be honest.

There is also Bravely Second: End Layer that will get some more promotion too.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does second expansion for the Witcher 3 count? Because I can't wait for it!

ME Andromeda but I am doubtful for 2016 release.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Dark Souls III is in April.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xenoblade X coming soon.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Scalebound, Ghosts 2.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Off the top of my head:

• Dragon Quest VII and VIII on 3DS
  • Dragon Quest XI comes out in Japan next year but I don't know if we'll get a copy.
  • Fire Emblem Fates on 3DS (turn based strategy, actually, but a lot of people like to count it as a JRPG)
  • Dragon's Dogma on PC
  • Dark Souls III on PC, Xbox One, and PS4
  • Final Fantasy XV. Supposedly. Maybe. I don't know. When it's in my hand, I'll know.
  • Persona 5 on PS3 and PS4
amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Torment: Tides of Numenera is finally coming out next year. Backed it and then never looked at the updates, I'm sure it'll be great.
Dark Souls 3
Deus Ex
Persona 5

I'm sure there are plenty more coming, I just can't think of any right now.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By paulmako

We might get that Fire Emblem x Persona SMT thing next year too.

Edit: @hnnaldor is right. It's Shin Megami Tensei, not Persona that is in the crossover. I need to remember those are separate series.

As well as more Fire Emblem and Persona.

HnNaldoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako:

@paulmako said:

We might get that Fire Emblem x Persona thing next year too.

Its SMT X fire emblem Don't get people's hope up for a persona game

TheBadYetiMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 5. It's looking to be a late 2015 Dec release if it makes it this year, but I think it still counts.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2016 will be the year of the RPG. Dark Souls 3, Persona 5, Deus Ex, Torment, Scalebound are the most exciting for me right now but plenty more RPGs will be great I'm sure.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The PC version of Dragon's Dogma.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

In addition to those which have already been mentioned, the Pillars of Eternity, the White Marsh Part 2 will be out in January.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Little surprised no one has mentioned South Park: The Fractured but Whole yet. Besides that, I'd like to take a crack at Persona 5 on the PS3 (I'm behind).

Renigade16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally agree with MocBucket62 South Park: The Fractured But Whole is something I'm really hyped for. The first game was amazing and I can't wait to see what they do on their second try.

Also I don't know if it counts but if it does, The Division looks awesome.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By BisonHero

@mocbucket62 said:

Little surprised no one has mentioned South Park: The Fractured but Whole yet. Besides that, I'd like to take a crack at Persona 5 on the PS3 (I'm behind).

Man, I was so hype for that South Park trailer. The title is such a dumb gag.

My only concern is the game might not have the same impact, because how many times can they do a game where they pull out all the stops and include every ancillary character possible and a zillion references to old episodes? It's like, they only did a South Park Movie that one time, though I guess the show has done stuff that may as well have just been a movie (the Imaginationland 3-episode arc, for example).

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hnnaldor said:

@paulmako:

@paulmako said:

It's not SMT either, but of the two that game is way way way more "Persona" than it is SMT.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

2016 RPGs on my "I might play these" list:

• Fire Emblem Fates
  • Persona 5
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  • Dark Souls III
  • Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem
  • Zelda WiiU
  • Bravely Second: End Layer

And I'm sure my Xenoblade Chronicles X will go well into 2016.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atelier Sophie

Haven't read impressions from the Japanese version but that'll be worth it if they figured out how to make a game as good as or better than Atelier Ayesha again.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@bisonhero said:

@mocbucket62 said:

Man, I was so hype for that South Park trailer. The title is such a dumb gag.

My only concern is the game might not have the same impact, because how many times can they do a game where they pull out all the stops and include every ancillary character possible and a zillion references to old episodes? It's like, they only did a South Park Movie that one time, though I guess the show has done stuff that may as well have just been a movie (the Imaginationland 3-episode arc, for example).

I feel like South Park has so much content in the IP that it won't be a concern. I'm just hoping this game has more legs than the Stick of Truth; that game ended up being a drag when nearing the end. Fights were easy mode and didn't introduce any new mechanics, or enhance the older mechanics.

Farkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

HnNaldoR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:
@hnnaldor said:

@paulmako:

@paulmako said:

It's not SMT either, but of the two that game is way way way more "Persona" than it is SMT.

There are SMT charecters in the game. Or at least they were in the old old trailer.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zeik

@hnnaldor said:
@zeik said:
@hnnaldor said:

@paulmako:

@paulmako said:

There are SMT charecters in the game. Or at least they were in the old old trailer.

That was basically a concept trailer. It's not representative of what the game actually turned out to be. None of those characters, on either side, are actually in the game. Although the Fire Emblem characters at least get the weird Persona-like summons that represent them. I have yet to see anything that is remotely a rep from SMT.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is set for December 2016, I hope they can make it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By monkeyking1969

You know what nobody really makes RPGs that I like a lot. There are things is The Witcher and Elder Scrolls I like and there are things in Dragons Dogma and Mass Effect I like. Yet, I think nobody is really hitting the things I care about.

Nobody is making role playing games where they fit the 'roles' I want to play or the things I care about. I want an RPG set in an imaginary Ancient greek-like country. I want there to be class structure and well as roles to play each with their own progression and mission structure. You can be a soldier, countisna, entertainer, farmer, shop owner, politicians, court judge, politician, brothel owner, rich trader, tradeship captain, or petty ruler.

Maybe, 50s years there will be tools that allow people to make their own games. Much like Minecraft tapped into 'build what you want' in a simple way, I think some games will go through that same transformation...or I hope they do.

heroiczero13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I am absolutely most excited for Dragon Quest VII & VIII on the 3DS. I played VII on PS1 when I was a kid, but I never beat it so this is my redemption haha And VIII is one of my favorite games of all time and I beat it twice, 7 (or so) years apart and it totally holds up. Any other RPG's are gravy.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what nobody really makes RPGs that I like a lot. There are things is The Witcher and Elder Scrolls I like and there are things in Dragons Dogma and Mass Effect I like. Yet, I think nobody is really hitting the things I care about.

Nobody is making role playing games where they fit the 'roles' I want to play or the things I care about. I want an RPG set in an imaginary Ancient greek-like country. I want there to be class structure and well as roles to play each with their own progression and mission structure. You can be a soldier, countisna, entertainer, farmer, shop owner, politicians, court judge, politician, brothel owner, rich trader, tradeship captain, or petty ruler.

Maybe, 50s years there will be tools that allow people to make their own games. Much like Minecraft tapped into 'build what you want' in a simple way, I think some games will go through that same transformation...or I hope they do.

I'm not sure what you're looking for is actually an "RPG". What you're describing sounds much more like some kind of simulation game, like Civilization or Crusader Kings, but on a smaller scale.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Kingdom Hearts count? It's more of an anime simulator though...

(Specifically that weird 2.8 collection that'll have like an hour of gameplay that's a sequel to Birth By Sleep. I'm not insane I know KH3 is only in my mind and never coming.)

Alternatively Mass Effect Andromeda if it ends up more like Mass Effect 1. Hell I'd take standard ME2/3 tone as long as nothing get's as infuriating as the first hours of Mass Effect 2.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

HEYO! I see what you did there.

On topic, really excited about Star Ocean, Persona 5, South Park, and Final Fantasy XV, if those ship. I'm really curious about Deus Ex, too.