What's *Finishing a Game* to You?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

Poll What's *Finishing a Game* to You? (159 votes)

Credits roll. 48%
Having played all, or most meaningful content, including the ending. 31%
Having played all, or most meaningful content, even if that's before the ending. 3%
Whenever I feel I'm done with a game. 18%
S-Ranking it (100% of everything, seen all the content, done all the achievements, etc. pp.) 1%

Credit rolls certainly aren't it for me. Hell, some games like Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen have like five credit rolls overall. It certainly ain't S-Ranking either, there's usually an insane amout of pointless busywork involved in that. However, I believe I need to see the ending to have finished a game, but just because that happend, doesn't mean I've played all the meaningful content on offer, which is prerequisite to actually *finish a game* for me.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed 3, which is full of horridly designed fed-ex quests and other inane shit, but damn are the good missions grandiose. I'm kinda in a rush, to knock this one out before Tuesday (when GTAV is expected to be in my mailbox). I can't quite beeline it, because of the hidden gems amongst filler, like some of the extracurricular Maritime missions. Now I feel like I'm picking through rat turds to find the raisins, but really AC3 is too good when it's good not to *Finish It* for real, and find and play all the great bits there are to it.

Long story short, for me it's option B. Having played all, or most meaningful content, including the ending - that's finishing a game to me.

• 
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Surely finishing a game just means finishing a game...

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By morningstar

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

usually seeing the ending cinematic, if it's a story game.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By audioBusting

I endure through credits rolls just in case it pulls a Metal Gear Solid on me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

It really depends on the game. Particularly if it's narrative-driven or not. If it has a strong story component, I'd say I've finished it when I've seen the end of the story. Anything I do beyond that is ancillary. On the other hand, if a game with no specific end like a puzzle game, I just play it until I've had my fill for the time being.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beating it.

Granted i'll try and soak up all meaningful content out there, but once i beat it, i beat it.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Finishing a game and beating a game for me are different, but its really just semantics. I consider myself finished with a game if I don't want to play it anymore, possibly ever. I beat P3FES but I'm not "finished" with it because I plan on going back and doing the S-links that I missed. On the other hand, I played through two levels of Battlefield 3 and consider myself finished with it because I'm not going to play any more of it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finishing a game = finishing it, 100%ing a game = 100%ing it. S rank included DLC for absolutely no reason so I don't really consider that part of the repertoire considering 95% of DLC isn't worthwhile.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Most of the time roll credits is finishing it, but then there are cases like Persona 4 Arena, where credits roll like 25 times (13 campaign playthroughs and 12 arcade playthroughs). Or Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3, where the story is short compared to the end game content. I've played those for a couple hundred hours each and still have things to unlock but I finished the story at like 60 hours deep.

Seeing all the content that is created by hand to be seen might be a closer definition to finishing a game. If there are infinite procedurally generated missions or areas then that shouldn't count. If there is an entire block in a city that only exists to fill space and doesn't have an event that happens there then seeing that block shouldn't count.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Getting to the credits.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Vextroid

Having seen the ending / Credits Roll.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

How unhelpful.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Usually when I finish the "story" of the game. I don't have much gaming time and rerely, if ever, 100% a game.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I side with the credits roll. That means I've finished the main path, and to me that's the main part of a game. Even if there are multiple endings, I still think you've finished a game by that point. Everything else is secondary and optional.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

There's never an end to a multiplayer game, so let's assume we're talking about single player. In that case, it's when you've experienced all of a story's narration. If there's an ending which requires you to do something specific beyond seeing the first instance of credits - the "true" ending - I would count that. Just play any visual novel ever or, more specifically, any of the Infinity or Zero Escape series. You will reach the credits before you have any clue what is going on. Western developed games also often have some element of the "bad" ending and the "good" ending, for those who put a little more effort into digging through the story elements to unlock it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Seppli

Apropos finishing a game. I just sat through the credit roll of Ass Creed 3 (that's like half an hour), I really want to deinstall the game. I did most of the boat and homestead stuff, otherwise I found all the side activities that I've sampled rather bland (well, the homestead missions were rather boring too). What side quests are especially worthwhile? I bet Pegleg's side quest is pretty good, if I go through the hassle of getting all the trinkets.

I'd be glad for any tips. Or just tell me to deinstall the game and get on with my life. Please tell me to. *wimper*

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't need to 100% a game to finish it. I just hit those credits and close the book.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Generally just the 'credits roll', unless it's a game like Civ V or Total War. Then I consider 'finished' my having completed/won at least one campaign, especially as they take ages. That doesn't mean the game is 'done' or that I am actually 'finished' in terms of playing it, but I feel that I have at least finished what was intended.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If I don't like a game all that much, I consider it finished when the credits rolls, no matter how much extra content is unplayed. If I really enjoy a game... it's NEVER over...

Just kidding, if I really like it I will consider it finished when all content is done. Not necessarily an S rank or anything, but when all meaningful content is completed, like side missions, finding all the rare weapons or items, etc.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

@seppli said:

Apropos finishing a game. I just sat through the credit roll of Ass Creed 3 (that's like half an hour), I really want to deinstall the game. I did most of the boat and homestead stuff, otherwise I found all the side activities that I've sampled rather bland (well, the homestead missions were rather boring too). What side quests are especially worthwhile? I bet Pegleg's side quest is pretty good, if I go through the hassle of getting all the trinkets.

I'd be glad for any tips. Or just tell me to deinstall the game and get on with my life. Please tell me to. *wimper*

Do it! Do it now. I'm really glad I got rid of that game as soon as I finished it and I tend to collect everything.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@seppli said:

The Pegleg missions are the best stuff in that game. It is insane how that stuff is locked behind meaningless collectibles. They showed parts of those missions in the adverts for the game

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunstarred: @mikkaq:

Aight. I'll do Pegleg, and then I'll scrub my HDD with fire. Seems like the thing to do.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@beachthunder said:

How unhelpful.

Your comment, on the other hand, was very helpful.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King

@beachthunder:

I didn't comment on the utility of my own past; merely the lack of it in yours.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really depends on the game for me. If I really like the the game I don't consider it finished until I've done everything in the game. If the game isn't that great I would say just finishing the story.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Usually when the credits roll, but if a game really intrigues me I won't rest until I get 100%.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By moonwalksa

I consider finishing a single-player game to mean seeing the ending to that game, regardless of how much optional content you might have missed on the way, and regardless of whether or not there are alternate endings or New Game+ endings.

Simply reaching the normal end counts, to me, though if I played a game long enough to get to that point, I probably enjoyed it enough that I'm going to do most of the optional content anyway. I'm usually not done with games when I finish them.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By peritus

For me its the Credits roll. I might still continue playing the game afterwards though, if the game lets you continue playing it. But thats just extra.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mostly when the credit rolls but if their are a shit ton of things to do and they're fun, I'll keep playing it. Sometimes even go for the platinum trophy. Example would be Sleeping Dogs. Beat the story and I wanted the platinum so I did the rest of the side content. So unless the game has fun side content or an easy platinum, I'm done when the credits roll.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beating the story, usually.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EXTomar

Usually it is "story complete" which is often around the "Credits Roll".

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm one of those guys who needs that Platinum trophy /100%, but I draw the line where I know I'll never reach that goal for certain games.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Canteu

Kinda depends on the game for me. I finished blacklist doing all the missions. I didn't bother trying to gold all the styles though. With Rayman Legends however, I've seen the credits but I won't be finished until I've got all 700 teensies.

Lost odyssey I beat all optional bosses and learned all the skills and stuff, but didn't go beat the final boss simply because I couldn't be bothered, but I consider myself to have finished that game.

Dragons dogma, I've finished (credits+daimon in aa) that game like 7 times, but I still don't feel that I have everything I can get out of it yet.

Option B I guess?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@seppli: The multiplayer is the best part of the game, it is quite a bit better than the Last of Us' multi (which is still quite good).

@canteu: You should start playing Star Ocean 4, would only take like 700 hours to 100% it.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I've seen a thread similar to this not too long ago...

For most games it's when the credits roll, but there are times when I want to do more after that.

So: Credit rolls. / Whenever I feel like I'm done with a game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Seppli

@fredchuckdave said:

@seppli: The multiplayer is the best part of the game, it is quite a bit better than the Last of Us' multi (which is still quite good).

Can't imagine me liking it better than The Last of Us, with all of Assassin's Creed's abhorrent autopilot mechanics. I certainly didn't enjoy it all too much trying it out in Brotherhood and Revelations. I guess the mind games are bound to be cool, but I'm usually more of a frontline kind of guy. *Here I am! Fight me!* is my style. Works a lot better with with guns. It's quite exceptional that I enjoy The Last of Us as much as I do.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if the game has meaningful post credits content, like the extra chapter in Tales of Graces (or any of the option dungeons in Tales games) then I don't consider myself done with it until I've finished that as well.