#1 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -
Gamespot's recent redesign
Polygon
Gametrailers

Do people actually find them to be visually informative? At least polygon has them segmented, but I can't see what purpose a circle would serve when you start distinguishing by .1 points and it kinda brings up the stupidity of a 100 points scale when you compare a 9.2 circle vs a 9.3 circle.

#2 Posted by Andorski (5331 posts) -

Do it, Giant Bomb:

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It's all part of the newer "Will it Roll" system of reviewing games. The circle reflects how well a game will roll down a hill. The easier it goes down, the better the game. Assassin's Creed IV would have no real problems, whereas Professor Layton would get caught on a rock, but at least it would make an effort to roll down the hill.

Hey, makes as much sense as any other rating system.

#4 Posted by MiniPato (2741 posts) -

It's all part of the newer "Will it Roll" system of reviewing games. The circle reflects how well a game will roll down a hill. The easier it goes down, the better the game. Assassin's Creed IV would have no real problems, whereas Professor Layton would get caught on a rock, but at least it would make an effort to roll down the hill.

Hey, makes as much sense as any other rating system.

A lot of videogames have a lot of missing pieces.

#5 Posted by marc (508 posts) -

@andorski said:

Do it, Giant Bomb:

5 minutes later and this is still making me laugh. thank you.

#6 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

4/4 Perfect Rhombus

Does anyone set up their scores as base 0 to get rid of creep/bloat/whatever? Positive score if it's cool, negative if it sucks, 0 if meh. Seems like it might work better, I think.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

But for reals though, someone should just move their scores to base 0 to get rid of creep/bloat/whatever. Positive score if it's cool, negative if it sucks, 0 if meh.

I think you mean binary or trinary or something.

#8 Posted by NTM (7411 posts) -

Not all sites that use it use 100 point scales, so your point about that is kind of pointless, even if it is correct. I don't think the decision to do it is meant to be informative, it's simply there for looks. I also don't agree with people that fuss about the difference between something having one thing, and then another getting a score one digit differently. It depends on the individual aspects I believe.

#9 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

It's not bad, to me. Gametrailers is weird because they give out all manner of tenths of a point but they finally got rid of the old fashioned "score for graphics, score for sound, score for gameplay, score for tilt" system finally so baby steps.

#10 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

They're worried readers might get confused if they don't see a visual representation of the game's score relative to a simple and familiar shape.

Having read the comment sections of those sites; I can't blame them.

#11 Posted by Meepasaurus (217 posts) -

Well, I just learned that the next Professor Layton game is out in Europe a lot earlier than the US...

#12 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

I find it to be unneeded but I guess it is the latest fad in the video game website world.

#13 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5592 posts) -

It really seems like reviews have finally come full circle. I rather like it.

#14 Edited by The_Ruiner (1065 posts) -

Graphic design has fads just like anything else. Things catch on and they are reiterated upon and emulated.

This web app uses it to for it's metrics

#15 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

@the_ruiner said:

Graphic design has fads just like anything else. Things catch on and they are reiterated upon and emulated.

Very true. I've seen other sites using something like Polygon's layouts for reviews now with huge images being like half the real estate and breaking everything up.

#16 Posted by PandaBear (1377 posts) -

@the_ruiner said:

Very true. I've seen other sites using something like Polygon's layouts for reviews now with huge images being like half the real estate and breaking everything up.

It's funny how what you're describing once looked kind of interesting and new but has become played out over the year. It's not terrible of course, but there's too many sites all looking the same these days.

#17 Edited by dudeglove (7906 posts) -

People are idiots and review scores are a horrible metric is your answer, basically.

#18 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

I someow read "What's with radical review scores" and expected a completely different thread

#19 Posted by Humanity (9378 posts) -

I like Polygon's it's just a shame I don't like the site and the writers. The others I don't really care as stated above it's weird to have a hard 10 point scale and an undetermined circle around it.

#20 Edited by isomeri (1290 posts) -

The benefit of radial review graphics is to show that a game given a 7 or a 6 is still mostly good.

#21 Edited by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I someow read "What's with radical review scores" and expected a completely different thread

If you would like to know more about my TMNT based review scale, send me a PM

#22 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4368 posts) -

Circles are like the future, bro.

or was it triangles? Deus Ex confused me.

#23 Posted by Veektarius (4869 posts) -

I don't think the circle would be easily interpreted on its own, but as a visual design trick, it's appealing.

#24 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

Circles are like the future, bro.

or was it triangles? Deus Ex confused me.

In Deus Ex it was piss color that was the future. bro.

#25 Posted by Brodehouse (9967 posts) -

Workmanlike = semicircle.

#26 Posted by Tom_Scherschel (122 posts) -

@isomeri: That's a good point. Makes a 7 look better than 3 1/2 stars.

#27 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3349 posts) -

It's spatially convenient, that's all. What, you want a loading/score bar under the number? Or worse - no viz rep? F that.

#29 Posted by weekeong (13 posts) -

I prefer the bar scores from Meta Critic. It is easier to see how many ppl feel about the game. Currently, im staring at Resident Evil: Raccoon City due to the Halloween sale. The reviews so far .... has not been good lol. So now i have to pirate it and test it out and then decide if I'm buying it or not

#30 Posted by crithon (3307 posts) -

i miss the old gamepro magazine exploding head review icons

#31 Posted by billymagnum (834 posts) -

i dont look at a review unless its in roman numerals. period.

#32 Posted by Wilshere (310 posts) -

7. Its bad.
8. Its alright.
9. Check it out you might like it.
10. GOTY

#33 Posted by EchoEcho (828 posts) -

Why is this an issue? It provides the same sort of visual feedback as the five-star system, but in a smaller space. I really don't see why that's a bad thing. And since the number is right in the center, does it really matter if you can't see the difference between a 9.2 circle and a 9.3 one? It's just an aesthetic choice; scoffing at it seems like a real waste of energy.

#34 Edited by Gamer_152 (14080 posts) -

I don't think it's as much about being visually informative as it is a stylistic choice. Used correctly the radial meters can look sleek and neat.

#35 Edited by Reisz (1508 posts) -

The internet isn't the most original place around.

#36 Posted by EveretteScott (1496 posts) -

@wilshere said:

7. Its bad.

8. Its alright.

9. Check it out you might like it.

10. GOTY

7 = bad? In stupid-o world maybe.

#37 Edited by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

It's okay - only works for things without too many intervals (10 max).

#38 Posted by Hyuzen (454 posts) -

The only problem I have with that is gametrailers scores being a counterclockwise circle while the others are clockwise circles. Gametrailers needs to get consistent with everybody!

#39 Posted by NoRemnants (384 posts) -

@the_ruiner: To expand on your example. Recent technologies and modern browsers have made it easy to do complex stuff like radial meters so people look to use these new techniques whenever they can.

#40 Posted by BanzaiBandito (74 posts) -

I'm hoping for a return of GamePro's cartoon face rating system.

#41 Posted by hermes (1496 posts) -

Its visual feedback. About why its everywhere: someone made it as a creative choice, so other people copied it out of lack of original design ideas.

Remember when giantbomb had quests? Soon, everyone else had them.

#42 Posted by AngriGhandi (779 posts) -

I'm going to design a review system that only goes up to seven. So 7/7 is the best you can get.

I'll get so many people who come to my site angry and then just get confused.

Then we hit 'em with deodorant ads for some eeeasy money

#43 Edited by EXTomar (4765 posts) -

It is just another way to represent a measure. Nothing weird about it beyond the weirdness of assigning a number anyway.