Posted by SongWriter1987 (122 posts) 8 months, 7 days ago

Poll: What's your favorite "Next Gen" FPS so far? (43 votes)

Crysis 3 2%
Metro Last Light 12%
Far Cry 3 40%
Battlefield 4 42%
CoD: Ghosts 5%

Disclaimer: What constitutes "next-gen" is entirely subjective so please don't yell at me if you disagree with any of the entries.

Which one of these shooters do you think looks the best or which one have you had the most fun playing?

#1 Edited by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

@songwriter1987 What?

Neither of the new consoles are even out yet. Not to mention, the launch titles will be tenuously "next gen", but at the moment, none of us have played a full game on either of the new consoles.

I'm not disagreeing with any of the entries, simply the entire premise of your poll.

#2 Edited by jimmyfenix (3811 posts) -
#3 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

Wait, how is what constitutes "next-gen" entirely subjective? If it's out on a next-gen console, it's a next-gen game.

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11643 posts) -

DOOM.

Disclaimer: What constitutes "next-gen" is entirely subjective so please don't yell at me if you disagree with my entry.

#5 Posted by SongWriter1987 (122 posts) -
#6 Edited by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

This poll doesn't make any sense.

#7 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -
#8 Posted by thatdutchguy (1267 posts) -

Weird.

#9 Posted by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

@theht: because of the PC

Because of the PC what?

He's saying Counter Strike is the best next gen FPS.

Because of the PC.

#10 Posted by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Because of the PC what?

Because of the PC.

I'm a bit partial to Bulletstorm. That came out on PC too.

#11 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

@humanity said:

@truthtellah said:

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Because of the PC what?

Because of the PC.

You're both crazy, Mount and Blade is the best first-person slasher.

#12 Edited by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

@humanity said:

@truthtellah said:

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Because of the PC what?

Because of the PC.

Right, right. Don't forget Gone Home. That came out on PC, too. It's easily the best next gen first person searcher.

#13 Posted by Humanity (8714 posts) -

@humanity said:

@truthtellah said:

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Because of the PC what?

Because of the PC.

Right, right. Don't forget Gone Home. That came out on PC, too. It's easily the best next gen first person searcher.

Stay on topic you louse, this is about next gen first person shooters we don't need your artsy fartsy..farting..around these parts!

#14 Posted by TruthTellah (8414 posts) -

@humanity said:

@truthtellah said:

@humanity said:

@truthtellah said:

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Because of the PC what?

Because of the PC.

Stay on topic you louse, this is about next gen first person shooters we don't need your artsy fartsy..farting..around these parts!

Pshh. Shooters schmooters. The title only mentioned "Next Gen" FPS. What constitutes "FPS" is entirely subjective so please don't yell at me if you disagree with any of the acronyms I think apply here.

Gone Home is clearly the best FPS. Because of the PC.

#15 Posted by MildMolasses (3211 posts) -

Yo, Quake 3 is the best next gen FPS because of the PC. Also, SHOGO

#16 Edited by SongWriter1987 (122 posts) -

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Because of the PC what?

Because there is never a new generation of PC, so arguably the lines of what looks next generation is more subjective. For example, I thought the Witcher 2 looked pretty next gen and it came out in 2011. Also, is BF4 a next gen game? If yes, well, guess what, its available on PC right now. So are we in the next gen right now or on friday november 15?

#17 Posted by SongWriter1987 (122 posts) -
#18 Posted by MildMolasses (3211 posts) -

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Because of the PC what?

Because there is never a new generation of PC,

Which is the exact reason why 'generation' only applies to consoles

#19 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Because of the PC what?

Because there is never a new generation of PC, so arguably the lines of what looks next generation is more subjective. For example, I thought the Witcher 2 looked pretty next gen and it came out in 2011. Also, is BF4 a next gen game? If yes, well, guess what, its available on PC right now. So are we in the next gen right now or on friday november 15?

Yes there is. There is a new generation of CPUs or graphic cards for example.

#20 Edited by jayjonesjunior (1085 posts) -

Your list sucks!

The only two games you can buy right now and get a taste of next-gen (running both on a PC) are BF4 and CoD Ghosts and they don't feel next-gen (especially if you have played BF3 on PC previously).

#21 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Ghosts

#22 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

@theht said:

@songwriter1987 said:

Because of the PC what?

like @mildmolasses alluded to, the borders of a "generation" are determined by consoles, while the tech frontier is always on the PC.

#23 Posted by stephenage (64 posts) -

Half Life 2 is great on PC.

#24 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5135 posts) -

I wouldn't know, since I haven't played them yet, but I'm really interested in both Destiny and Titanfall.

#25 Posted by TopSteer (634 posts) -

I'm going to eschew your poll and say that Killzone is the one that I'm most excited for.

#26 Edited by benpicko (1984 posts) -

If that's the case, nearly every PC game of the last few years are 'next gen'

#27 Posted by L33T_HAXOR (240 posts) -

Wolfenstein 3D

#28 Posted by CynicalBuzzard (240 posts) -

Duke Nukem

#29 Edited by SlashDance (1801 posts) -

I'd say Metro Last Light, although I have to give bonus points to Crysis 3 for having the worst dialogue I've heard in like 5 years.

- The took my nanosuit... I'm HUMAN!

#30 Posted by hermes (1350 posts) -

eehh... Bioshock ? Yes, I will go with Bioshock

Also Portal 2... because PC

#31 Edited by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

@songwriter1987 said:

PC has nothing to do with "Gen", when people talking about "this gen" or "next gen" they are talking about the console generations. As a result Far Cry 3, Metro Last Light, and Crysis 3 are not next gen games because they all came out on consoles from the current generation which ends in about 2 weeks or less.

As for what I would pick as most promising next gen FPS as in game played in first person where you shoot a gun.... Destiny.

#32 Posted by EXTomar (4446 posts) -

Why not include Borderlands 2 or Portal 2? Both have as interesting a setup and story as any of those games where only Metro has more. If you really want a discussion, why not include Bulletstorm or Spec-Ops The Line?

#33 Edited by BeachThunder (11643 posts) -
@karkarov said:

the current generation which ends in about 2 weeks or less.

Wait, who said the current generation was ending in two weeks? PlayStation 2 still had games being released for it this year...

#34 Posted by Karkarov (2942 posts) -

@karkarov said:

Wait, who said the current generation was ending in two weeks? PlayStation 2 still had games being released for it this year...

Fair enough but as you will see from my top 10 list you get to a point where I think it is fair to call a game on older hardware current Gen. Look at Persona 4, it came out YEARS after the launch of 360 and PS3, hell I played it on my PS3 PS2 game or not. When it is that type of situation I think it is fair to call it a current gen game.

#35 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4137 posts) -

I be all up on next-gen.

Doom

#36 Posted by MildMolasses (3211 posts) -

@karkarov said:

well, in two weeks current-gen becomes last-gen, and next-gen becomes current-gen. From a pure semantics standpoint, current-gen does end in about two weeks

#37 Edited by Corvak (831 posts) -

Using graphical fidelity as a measure for "current-gen" or "next-gen" you could argue that all of the shooters in the last 18 months are "next-gen" if you look at the PC version.

If you measure based on console release - placing PC versions in with the latest console generation they launched in, only Battlefield 4 and CoD: Ghosts qualify for the poll.

Now as far as "Favourite FPS of 2013" I would have to vote for Bioshock Infinite, and give honorable mention to the Rise of the Triad remake for being crazy fun.

#38 Edited by SomeJerk (3130 posts) -

Where's the secret Killzone Shadow Fall option because they can only go toward better graphics with how dumbed down they have become ever since Doom and Quake 1 with the exceptions of System Shock 1 and 2..

(Only played Bioshock 1 which was turned over boob in my opinion, loving SysSho2 too much maybe)

#39 Posted by Flacracker (1575 posts) -

Doom

#40 Posted by RazielCuts (2909 posts) -

Skyrim.