• 187 results
#1 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

There are some games that while you might like it or even love it most of the public will not share that same sentiment, but is not about polarazing or niche either you could call them "underrated". So I´ll start with Brütal Legend that still today is one of the most imaginative games I´ve played ever and I felt some that people misinterpreted , sure it was marketed as some kind of hack n' slash action game (wich kinda was) but because there was no metion of the part where the game turns into a light RTS game people felt somewhat cheated and didn´t care for the unexpected gameplay change.

I thought all parts of Brutal Legend were great and everything fit into the crazy atmosphere of the world, the sountrack was amazing even for someone who dosn´t necesarelly appreciate the history of everything arround it was a nice tribute to the Heavy metal/Rock genre, all the characters were great specially Jack Black as Eddie he really comitted to his role , and I just can´t stop prasing the atmosphere and the design of everything in that world from the creatures that roam the land to the landmarks is really different from everything that´s out there even 2 years later. I guess the argument about it´s gameplay it´s what draws some criticism but to me the hybrid nature of the gameplay it´s what makes it appealing at least to me in the first place. I could sit here and talk about how much I like that game but I really want to know what are some of your underappreciated games that you feel need more love.

PD : oh and excuse the possible grammatical errors.

#2 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Kane and Lynch 2 sure that game is fucked up, but its also kinda awesome

#3 Posted by Animasta (14643 posts) -

Nier, by far.

#4 Posted by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

Disgaea 4. Never saw a thread for here once.

#5 Posted by Frederik (377 posts) -

Tomba!

Front cover of Tomba! (US) for PlayStation

An original blend of excellent platforming, adventure game puzzle-solving and amazing artstyle, this unique game is just FUN through and through!

I WANT MOAR!

#6 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

Can I be honest? I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, despite being... well, Duke Nukem Forever. I think it's a fun game, and the boss battles can be quite challenging on Damn, I'm Good.

#7 Posted by YI_Orange (1124 posts) -

I'm sure I'll think of another one later, but Chrono Cross comes to mind.

#8 Posted by Witzig (326 posts) -

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45

#9 Edited by handlas (2643 posts) -

The Club

#10 Posted by Mystyr_E (1187 posts) -

Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise

#11 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

The Saboteur

#12 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

What? People love Chrono Cross.

#13 Posted by ProfessorEss (7254 posts) -

Most of Rare's non-Kinect 360 titles.

#14 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1188 posts) -

Final Fantasy VIII

#15 Posted by sfighter21 (794 posts) -
PS2 box art

Man, F the haters! I LOVED Star Wars Bounty Hunter! Can't really give you an in-depth explanation, it was just awesome! Lol.

#16 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@MasturbatingestBear said:

Final Fantasy VIII

What? People love Final Fantasy VIII.

#17 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Vampire Rain or maybe Otogi 1 and 2

#18 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: But can you call it underrated when it sell a lot ? I mean the reviews were bad but I think that game was number 2 sales wise the month it came out right? at least it got the sells support.

#19 Posted by EVO (3850 posts) -

I definitely agree with you on Brutal Legend. I bought it months after release, knowing what to expect and I think because of that the RTS aspect didn't disappoint me, even though I enjoyed those parts. It is what is, and that is one of the most beautifully realized game worlds I've explored. It doesn't hurt that I like Jack Black either.

#20 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

Mirrors Edge

#21 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1529 posts) -

I love the Freedom Force games to death, I would pee my pants if they announced another one ... but I think I am the only one.

#23 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

any of the brothers in arms games.

#24 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -
@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Final Fantasy VIII

What? People love Final Fantasy VIII.

I know I love Final Fantasy VIII.
#25 Posted by dirkfunk (175 posts) -

Vanquish.

#26 Posted by UltorOscariot (171 posts) -

I think Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on N64 was pretty great, in a non-ironic way.

#27 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Mass Effect. It wasn't nearly as flawed as people, including it's makers, thought.

Mirrors Edge is a good one, it was even less appreciated and probably less flawed. I hate that Mirror's Edge was considered a shitty game for the reasons SMB was so loved.

#28 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Europa Universallis 3.

#29 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Nier. It's one of the most original experiences you can have this generation with one of the greatest stories to boot. 

All the reviews will tell you how there's zero originality and the story is only semi-interesting in the last 30 minutes.

#30 Posted by TeamJersey (339 posts) -

Shadows of the Damned.

#31 Posted by JustKamToo (656 posts) -

Brute Force, I played the crap out of that game. I wish they had done a sequel.

#32 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
Postal 2. One of the best urban open world games ever!
#33 Posted by Ronin147 (77 posts) -

Vagrant Story

#34 Posted by Kear (109 posts) -

Brutal Legend.

#35 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Mass Effect. It wasn't nearly as flawed as people, including it's makers, thought.

Mirrors Edge is a good one, it was even less appreciated and probably less flawed. I hate that Mirror's Edge was considered a shitty game for the reasons SMB was so loved.

There´s a group of people that didn´t care for Mass Effect gameplay but I think overall everyone enjoyed that game a lot myself included, mostly for the setting and the characters it´s kinda hard to call that game underappreciated when it was that successful. Mirror´s Edge I agree that was a great idea that needs to be revisit.

#36 Posted by skyline7284 (502 posts) -

Viva Pinata

#37 Edited by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

@JoeyRavn: But can you call it underrated when it sell a lot ? I mean the reviews were bad but I think that game was number 2 sales wise the month it came out right? at least it got the sells support.

Yeah... but look at how many people bash the game constantly. I admit it's not the best game ever and that it may have some serious issues, but I feel that everything that could ever be considered good about it is completely ignored. I don't know, I had fun with it. Not my favorite game ever, by the way. Just the most recent example I could think of.

#38 Posted by YI_Orange (1124 posts) -

@YI_Orange said:

What? People love Chrono Cross.

I've seen a lot of hate for Chrono Cross, mostly stemming from how it's not Chrono Trigger. A lot of people, at least the vocal ones, give it a lot of shit for "not living up to" Chrono Trigger in the same way people act about FFTA.

#39 Posted by SockLobster (455 posts) -

Gotcha Force on the Gamecube, it fucking owns, look it up.

#40 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@AngelN7 said:

Yeah... but look at how many people bash the game constantly. I admit it's not the best game ever and that it may have some serious issues, but I feel that everything that could ever be considered good about it is completely ignored. I don't know, I had fun with it. Not my favorite game ever, by the way. Just the most recent example I could think of.

Your point is right though after all for a game to be called underappreciated has to be sourrounded by something negative that the overall audience thought was bad or unappealing, but you had fun with it and that´s what it counts.

#41 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

As said before, Final Fantasy VIII.

But the biggest one is definitely Baten Kaitos: Origins. No one played that game. And I wouldn't have either, if it wasn't for my dad just getting me a game he thought looked cool for Christmas when I was younger. I gave it a look when I opened it up, but quickly fell in love.

#42 Posted by GunstarRed (4997 posts) -

I don't know if it's my favourite underappreciated game, but I have a lot of love for that last retail Bionic Commando game.

#43 Posted by ericdrum (404 posts) -

Too Human. I put soooo many hours into that game.

#44 Edited by Turambar (6641 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles.  Super Robot Wars games outside of Japan.

#45 Posted by RenMcKormack (1071 posts) -

The original Dead to Rights AND Dead to Rights Retribution

Dumb. Stupid. Arcade Fun. Also I like how kind of love the straightforward "no irony" presentation of Jack Slate in both games. also, Jack Slate is the greatest generic videogame character protagonist of all time. I also think when the original came out it did some fun things with hand to hand combat and disarms quick time events that were novel at the time. Also SHADOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#46 Posted by JammyJesus (769 posts) -

Great gameplay, looked amazing and had great music.

#47 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

When it comes to the campaign, I guess I'd have to say Modern Warfare 2 and three.

#48 Posted by Winternet (8002 posts) -

Alpha Protocol.

Oni.

#49 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

I think Dark Sector was a really fun that wasn't necessarily received well. The glaive provided some satisfyingly visceral combat. And the horror/action segments worked well.

#50 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -
@PollySMPS said:

Bosconian.

Oh man, I love Bosconian.