• 106 results
#1 Posted by SunBroZak (1019 posts) -

So I popped in Killzone 2 for the first time in a long while earlier today, and when I was greeted with this:

I was pleasantly reminded of how much I love that intro. Such a great way to get you excited to play the game. It is easily my favourite opening to a game.

So I put to you, Giant Bomb community, what's your favourite opening cinematic? For the sake of making it clear, let's define opening cinematic by a cinematic that plays before you hit the start screen, or immediately upon beginning the game.

#2 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

P3 FES's intro was pretty good. Nice to look at and had good music.

#3 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

Does the Half-Life opening count as a cinematic? If so, maybe that.

#4 Posted by Pr1mus (3811 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

Both part. Especially the part on the bridge with Snake walking slowly in the storm before jumping on the tanker. Really sets the tone.

Runner-up and the one that blew me away the most of any intro in any game the first time i saw it is Final Fantasy VIII.

#5 Posted by Schmollian (259 posts) -

#6 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Off the top of my head, I'd probably say Ico. There are others that are splashier or more technically impressive, but Ico's intro really set the table for the rest of the game in a unique way.

#7 Posted by Akeldama (4238 posts) -

#8 Posted by RonGalaxy (2873 posts) -

The Last of Us' opening is the best ever. I know, not really a cinematic, but it was definitely cinematic. And heart wrenching. And impeccably crafted. And as close to perfect as you can get

#9 Edited by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Max Payne 3 easily

#10 Edited by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

The Last of Us' opening is the best ever. I know, not really a cinematic, but it was definitely cinematic. And heart wrenching. And impeccably crafted. And as close to perfect as you can get

This is a serious defining factor. Does having any amount of control over your perspective, or any amount of interaction, disqualify it from being considered an opening cinematic?

#11 Posted by Random45 (1051 posts) -

Definitely the opening for Warcraft 3, got me pumped to play it when I was younger.

#12 Posted by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

#13 Posted by TehBuLL (593 posts) -

At the time Half-Life got me so pumped. Just seeing everything that was possible and going on really sold me. Barring that ineligibility, the Diablo 2 LoD expansion opening was a great way of getting me back in.

#14 Posted by Zeik (2223 posts) -

That intro video for Zone of the Enders 2 is basically the best part of that game, even if it does spoil like the whole thing.

#15 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (556 posts) -

FF10

#16 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

Probably the first cinematic opening I ever saw, and the music is still awesome.

#17 Posted by Damodar (1302 posts) -

The thing that instantly came to mind for me was the intro to Alundra.

It's more like a trailer than anything, so it's kind of odd and the various anime clips peppered throughout of different parts of the game aren't actually IN the game itself, but seem to solely exist for the intro. Oh and that midi slap bass that really kicks in at around a minute in, so good. Also, the gameplay clip around 1:15 totally has Alundra hitting those switches in the wrong order.

I love Alundra.

#18 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

My personal favorite:

#19 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

I used to really love the Dungeon Keeper intro when I was a kid.

#20 Posted by Sinusoidal (1293 posts) -

Final Fantasy VI. When you start walking across the snowy field in your magitek armor and Nobuo Uematsu's music starts playing... damn!!

Opening cinematics have become much flashier and prettier, but they've never been more affecting.

#21 Posted by SunBroZak (1019 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

This is a serious defining factor. Does having any amount of control over your perspective, or any amount of interaction, disqualify it from being considered an opening cinematic?

I suppose you could argue the likes of The Last of Us have an interactive cinematic opening, because the core mechanics aren't introduced in the opening. So something akin to that would be fine.

Mass Effect 2 would be another example in which I'd consider it to be more of a cutscene then tutorial.

#22 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2495 posts) -

@sunbrozak said:

@tsutohiro said:

@naru_joe93 said:

I suppose you could argue the likes of The Last of Us have an interactive cinematic opening, because the core mechanics aren't introduced in the opening. So something akin to that would be fine.

Mass Effect 2 would be another example in which I'd consider it to be more of a cutscene then tutorial.

I'm also there with The Last of Us probably having the best opening sequence to a game - but I don't think it counts as a cinematic.

Perhaps I'm just bias though as I personally can't think of an opening cinematic that I've been particularly impressed by. Maybe Final Fantasy XIV: ARR just for how pretty it is, and how well it wraps up its predecessor? or Persona 4/Golden just because those games still give me the warm fuzzies?

Either way, there have been some interesting picks in this thread.

#23 Edited by YI_Orange (1128 posts) -

#24 Posted by Yummylee (21259 posts) -

@akeldama said:

Fuck yes, Outbreak's is absolutely sublime. In fact most RE games tend to have really stellar opening cinematics I think.

#25 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1443 posts) -

When I was bored, I used to click new game just to watch this again.

#26 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

Kain is deified. The clans tell tales of him. Few know the truth. He was mortal, once, as were we all...

#27 Posted by ProfessorK (816 posts) -

@akeldama said:

I fucking love the Onimusha 3 intro.

That said, my favorite is from Armored Core 3. Not just for the mech on mech violence, but the music is sooooo good. AC usually has a cool intro but I feel this was the pinnacle.

Matter of fact Nexus was pretty dam great too.

#28 Posted by Damodar (1302 posts) -

Kain is deified. The clans tell tales of him. Few know the truth. He was mortal, once, as were we all...

UGH SO GOOD. "For my transgression, I earned a new kind of reward: Agony..."

#29 Posted by joachimo (200 posts) -

Half-Life,

also Bioshock Infinite

#30 Posted by Kaiven (21 posts) -

The first Mass Effect intro was and still is an awesome scene setter. The music is just perfect.

#31 Edited by donfonzie (206 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.

Both part. Especially the part on the bridge with Snake walking slowly in the storm before jumping on the tanker. Really sets the tone.

Runner-up and the one that blew me away the most of any intro in any game the first time i saw it is Final Fantasy VIII.

This.

#32 Posted by gokaired (485 posts) -

FF6

Silent Hill 2

This intro is still haunting especially the beginning and end.

No More Heroes

Sonic CD

There's actually quite a few Sonic intros i like, Like Sonic Heroes or Sonic Advance 3

I like Ocarina of Time's intro but mostly because of the atmosphere.

#33 Edited by TheBluthCompany (367 posts) -

I really liked the intros of DmC and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon from this year.

#34 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@akeldama said:

Fuck yes, Outbreak's is absolutely sublime. In fact most RE games tend to have really stellar opening cinematics I think.

i came in to post this intro. absolutely haunting

#35 Posted by OrangeSponge (53 posts) -

It's not my person favourite opening, and you could argue it isn't a opening, but the intro-video for Yakuza 4 is pretty awesome. It sets up the game really well, it shows the tone of the game and gives the player a sneak peak at some of the character progression you'll encounter through-out the game. Although I personally think the intro reveals to much of some later twists and story beats. The music is pretty catchy, I have most of the soundtrack on my Ipod.

Although when I first read the title of the topic I instantly thought of Mass Effect 2's opening.

#36 Edited by fatalbanana (176 posts) -

It may be short but Max's words at the beginning of this game are ingrained in my head for all eternity... Definitely one of my favorite intros of any game.

#37 Posted by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

The Witcher has an awesome opening cinematic. It is action packed and does a great job of introducing you to the concept of a Witcher and what a Witcher does. I'd find a YouTube video of it, but I'm on my phone at the moment.

Moderator Online
#38 Posted by RecSpec (3764 posts) -

Even though I have a love/hate relationship with it, I think overall the Kingdom Hearts series has the best openings because of the way they recap the series up to that point in CG. But Final Fantasy X is still my favorite for so many reasons.

#39 Posted by GnaTSoL (791 posts) -

super metroid....... It's my answer for everything.

#40 Posted by BaneFireLord (2911 posts) -

Fallout New Vegas.

"Truth is...the game was rigged from the start." BLAM! TITLE CARD.

#41 Posted by afabs515 (1011 posts) -

The most over-the-top and nonsensical thing I have ever seen. And I loved every second of it

#42 Edited by Hector (3356 posts) -

As soon as the title screen came on I knew I was in for an adventure!

#43 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

Final Fantasy VIII.

#44 Posted by GunstarRed (5030 posts) -

#45 Edited by Grixxel (763 posts) -

Basically because of the music:

#46 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

#47 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

so good.

#48 Edited by Tom_omb (337 posts) -

@orangesponge said:

Although when I first read the title of the topic I instantly thought of Mass Effect 2's opening.

Yes! ME2 is the first thing that came to me when I saw this topic too. I remember that cinematic really hitting me in the gut the first time I watched it. The reconstruction sequence that followed was also super neat.

#49 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

One of the coolest intros I've ever seen

#50 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -

There is still no better looking cutscence in a game than onimusha 3's opening.