What's your nostalgic game or game console?

Sarge__Gunnerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I thought about making this a poll but there are too many consoles to make it a meaningful poll. I'm only 19 so I missed out on some of the great early consoles that started to evolve the gaming industry. But I'm curious about what other members of the Giant Bomb community consider their nostalgic console. Feel free to mention your most nostalgic game as well. For me, some of my fondest memories were born playing the SNES and N64. Games like Super Mario World, Contra III, Link to the Past, and Donkey Kong Country for the SNES, and Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, and Star Fox for the N64 all bring back great memories as a kid. I know there are other classics on those consoles but these are my personal favorites. I have to throw in NBA Showtime for the N64 as well. Like I said, I'm part of the younger generation so I didn't have much exposure to the older consoles but I love hearing stories about what people liked about those generations. Feel free to bring anything to the table. PC games are welcome as well. I apologize if a similar discussion has happened recently.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I've grown fond of the Playstation. So many great games for that system.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The SNES and PS2 are very much tied.

I got my SNES when I was five and the PS1 was coming out. I didn't actually get a PS1 until 1998, I think, and then I accidentally broke it a year or so later. So the SNES got more playtime, and I have a lot of memories of it. I did get my PS1 fixed, and I remember it well, but the SNES is the one that dominated my elementary and early middle school years. Then I got my PS2 in middle school and played that well into high school, and I still play the thing. These days I play it way more than I do my 360 and sometimes more than my PC, plus I play SNES games on the emulator occasionally.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By DarthOrange

Crash Bandicoot: Warped on PS-One always has a warm place in my heart. That said I know it wasn't that long ago but I have a shit ton of fond memories with Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon Silver, the Game Boy Colour. I still remember those GBC ads that played during morning cartoon shows...

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as pure nostalgia, nothing will ever come close to the NES for me. I was 9 when it dropped, and it's hard to overstate the effect Nintendo had on kids at the time. There really was nothing like it. The Atari was cool, the Commodore 64 was cool, and arcades were still really big, but the NES was when it really blew up and you started getting games that sucked you in for hours/days at a time.

That said, most of the NES titles that I loved back in the day are badly dated. The NES and the PS1 are the two systems that seem to have aged the worst to me.

Too many games with nostalgic value to list. And too many nostalgic events that they're tethered to. But one off the top of my head is Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the Genesis. That one really takes me back. I can vividly remember everything about the first time I played it: the new console smell, the music I was listening to right before I put it in, the exact spot I was sitting in my room. All of that's burned into my brain. Comes back right away when I play it to this day.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

FFVI, SNES. No contest.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

The Colecovision. It was the first console I played and I played it on a TV with wood paneling and probably weighed a ton.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

PS1 for sure. A lot of my fondest gaming memories were on that console, and hearing the opening to one of my favorite JRPG's always give me a nostalgia attack. Surprisingly, even though I played the SNES at the same age, and consider a lot of those games to be equal or better, I don't really get the same tickles for that system. Although I did notice in my recent Metroid kick that the GBA gets me in a lot of the same ways.

angouri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gaming nostalgia is inexorably linked with playing 2 player Super Mario World on SNES, but the Gameboy/GBA is the winner. Link's Awakening, Golden Sun, Pokemon Red, FF Legends... amazing. I remember calling up stores to find a copy of Golden Sun: The Lost Age and forcing my mom to drive 45 minutes to go pick up the one copy I found. When I transferred my save from the first Golden Sun (using the ridiculous password generator because I only had 1 GBA), it blew my mind.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Coafi

For me, it's the PS1. I had a NES and a SNES, but I had like 3 or 2 games for each one. When I finally got the PS1, my parents let me pick a lot of games from the bargain bin.

My most nostalgic game would probably be The Legend of Dragoon, that was my first RPG experience and I picked it randomly from the bin just because of the art. I loved it and I still do, despite its obvious flaws.

wakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My most nostalgic console is the Genesis. I feel like that console garnered the most social activity, i.e., time with friends and family, so it's produced a lot of memories. The Genesis was the last console whose controller was simple enough for my dad to "get". (Well, aside from the Wii; but I'm not a Wii fan). My mom even played it, she loved the Mickey Mouse games (Castle of Illusion and Mickey Mania).

My most nostalgic game is probably a toss-up between several Final Fantasy's, VII, VIII, and X. I not only remember the games vividly but other things that were happening at the times I was playing each individual game. They're like memory horcruxes.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Snes for my nostalgic console. I have some pretty nostalgic PC games too, but it's nostaglia for when I was still a teenager, Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 and MechWarrior 4.

Oh and for the nostalgic Snes stuff, Final Fantasy 6 and King of Dragons and Chrono Trigger and Megaman X. My childhood had far better games than this Gen. :(

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The NES. The jump from a 2600 to the NES was so substantial. I was also at that age where there was weekly sleepovers with friends, renting games, messing around with a game genie to see who could make the best random codes.

Nostalgia game is Zelda II: The Adventures of Link.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

My first console was the Sega Mega Drive, but for me the console for which I hold the most warm fuzzy nostalgia feelings is definitely the Nintendo 64. I know that people consider it to be an entirely unworthy successor to the SNES, and inferior to the PS1, but hey, I was a kid, and we never had a SNES and never owned a PS1. So between the ages of 6 and 11, Nintendo 64 was console gaming for me. Actually, Nintendo was also handheld gaming, since I have a lot of Game Boy and GBC nostalgia as well.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Gameboy Color I got on my birthday in 2001 with a copy of Pokemon Silver which is my most favorite game for the GBC, played so many hours day and night trying to catch and evolve all Pokemon. Since my NES died back in the mid 90's this was the first time in a long time I caught up with Nintendo and played other such awesome games like Wario Land 3, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Donkey Kong Country and Pokemon Yellow.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday on the mega drive :)

DR34DN0UGHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Amstrad CPC 464 and a copy of Robocop. Ah, those were the days...

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My sister and I got an N64 with Donkey Kong 64 for Christmas in 1999 when I was six years old. Before that I had only played Genesis and Game Boy, so it was my first exposure to 3D gaming, and I just remember being absolutely blown away when I started playing DK 64 that morning. The N64 holds a very special place in my heart, with Banjo-Kazooie, Ocarina of Time, Paper Mario, Pokemon Stadium and THPS 1 being some of my favourite games that I have very fond memories of. And I'd have to throw in the Game Boy Color with Pokemon Blue and Pokemon Silver as well, I wasted away so many hours playing those games.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tough questions. Every time I try to think of an answer, something else comes to mind.

My earliest memories of video games involve Combat on an old faux-wood Atari 2600. That or hooking up my parents' old pong box to an ancient 13 inch black and white TV we had lying around. I'm not sure which came first. Oh, and there was writing swear words on the chalk board in Skool Daze on my friend's Commodore 64.

In the end, the game I am probably most nostalgic about is Phantasy Star. It was my first JRPG in what developed into a long, and often dysfunctional relationship with the genre. You never forget your first time, right?

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chop

N64

I saved up for a year and bought it on launch. Played Super Mario 64 so damn much I think I could beat it using nothing but muscle memory.

JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games for PS1 always give me great nostalgia-kicks.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Marzy

For consoles, I'd definitely say the N64, by far. There was so many great games I have fond memories of.

For a game though, this might sound a bit strange, since it's still probably considered kind of new-ish. Super Mario Galaxy. I have the best memories playing through that game, it was one of the most magical gaming experiences I've ever had.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for game, Ps1 for console. Or maybe Ps2, but I still use that so it feels weird to call it nostalgic.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thatdutchguy

The Nintendo 64 because it was the first console i owned.

Still remember that i played the shit out of Super Mario 64 because i had no money to buy other games, i loved every second of it .

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By abendlaender

N64 and Mario 64/Ocarina of Time pretty much. I had a SNES but I barley played anything at the time but when M64 came out it BLEW MY MIND

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LackingSaint

PS1 for sure. loved me some Disney tie-in games (Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear To The Rescue was legitimately great).

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Nezza

Tetris on the Gameboy. It was like magic compared to the Game & Watch games of the time.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Vextroid

The Playstation. So many memories with Crash Bandicoot, Metal Gear Solid the Oddworld games, Gex etc.

Also renting games every Saturday and ended up playing a whole range of games.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PSP

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is not a console for me but the zx spectrum 48k, that computer had some classic games that I still look back at fondly, manic miner, jet set willy, lunar jet man, the list could go on. Classic days and many hours passed having fun.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

NES. The best console.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

The Mega Drive is nearly mythical in my mind. I played my first Mega Drive games when I was about 3, so I have bits and pieces of games etched into my mind but never in a way that is actually helpful to me if I try to play those games. With a game like Phantasy Star II the main theme gives me nostalgic shivers, but I barely know anything about the game, mainly because a RPG like that was impossible to me at the time.

The Playstation One is the console I remember the most about though, I must of played every crappy platformer based on a film that was on that system. I can still remember most of the first few episodes of Toy Story 2, I can remember the first half of A Bugs Life fairly well. But the two games that bring back the most nostalgia are Spyro the Dragon and Nuclear Strike. I recently replayed Spyro and other than one dragon in the Haunted Castle level of the Dreamweaver's world I could remember how to get to every dragon. Nuclear Strike created my love for FMV in games, and as a bonus I found out that it is one of the last games that Rob Hubbard wrote music for.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

jgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Albeit never owning one, for me it is the SNES. I had to come over to my friends house to play all those glorious games (SF4, Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart). Man have I been envious. On the other hand most games played and fun time was and still is with my PS3. But I'm going with SNES for nostalgia reasons.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

The N64, Gamecube and PC is what I hold some nostalgia for. The N64 with Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, and Smash Bros. Gamecube with Smash Bros Melee, F-Zero GX and even some third party games such as Soul Calibur II. PC for games such as Star Wars Episode I Racer, Battlefield 1942 and the Age of Empries/Age of Mythology games.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have quite a few nostalgia moments with different consoles.

Genesis - Played Gunstar Heroes with my best friend a lot. My Mom got a kick out of Sonic/2 and she didn't play games outside of that.

SNES - Linked to the Past with my best friend. Mega Man X2/X3 were my first MM games, Super Mario World blowing my mind. Super Mario RPG being the first rpg I played.

Playstation - Mega Man X4 being my favorite Mega Man and playing the shit out of it. Pretty much any Resident Evil Game that was on this console, I always played this series with friends, we'd all get together and play through the games when a new one came out. Final Fanasty 7 with my best friend. FF8 with the same friend when we went up the mountains and we played it all week.

N64 - Played through OOT a multitude of times. Once with a friend and other times by myself.

Dreamcast - Because at the time it had like every favorite arcade game I ever liked on the console.