• 166 results
#1 Posted by benspyda (2016 posts) -

On the podcast they mentioned over the last few weeks they went back to games where they didn't have to think that much or felt more comfortable with (like comfort food). So what games would you call your safe games to go back to when you don't feel like trying something new?

Mine at the moment are Skyrim and Dark Souls (once you got the gameplay down its fun just to listen to podcasts while playing through the game, I'm currently on my 5th playthrough).

If there is already a topic on this I apologise.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5280 posts) -

Duke3d..

#3 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Minecraft!

#4 Posted by benspyda (2016 posts) -
@sexytoad said:

Minecraft!

I'd say that's a pretty common one. I have yet to even try that game but as Terraria and Don't Starve do nothing for me, I doubt it's for me.

#5 Posted by Stonyman65 (2573 posts) -

Anything open-world. GTA (Vice City, specifically), Fallout 2, Just Cause 2, Saints Row The Third... Just something mindless that I can have fun with.

#6 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

Probably TF2 or Skyrim.

#7 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@benspyda said:
@sexytoad said:

Minecraft!

I'd say that's a pretty common one. I have yet to even try that game but as Terraria and Don't Starve do nothing for me, I doubt it's for me.

You're able to play, I believe, a 30 minute demo of it. Or I think it was a full in-game day. Just to get the feel for it. I would say it's different enough from Terraria or Don't Starve.

#8 Posted by benspyda (2016 posts) -
@sexytoad said:

@benspyda said:
@sexytoad said:

Minecraft!

You're able to play, I believe, a 30 minute demo of it. Or I think it was a full in-game day. Just to get the feel for it. I would say it's different enough from Terraria or Don't Starve.

I suppose its a game I should try seeings its such a phenomenon.

#9 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

@benspyda said:
@sexytoad said:

@benspyda said:
@sexytoad said:

Minecraft!

I suppose its a game I should try seeings its such a phenomenon.

Here's a link, to make your life easier!

#10 Posted by leinad44 (503 posts) -

RE4

#11 Posted by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

Geometry Wars; this game has an almost zen-like effect on me. I can just load the game up, zone out, and play for hours at a time.

#12 Posted by themangalist (1716 posts) -

Gaming is serious business for me. When I game, I give it all my attention. If I want to do some mindless activities I would not be gaming.

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (35842 posts) -

Like the video game concept of a safe word?

#14 Edited by judgejudy72 (21 posts) -

Infamous 2 or Super Smash bros.

#15 Posted by JessicaaGoldBurst (34 posts) -

I guess anything in the Disgaea series? I don't usually play stuff specifically to shut my mind down, but the brainless grinding involved in the Disgaea post-games do give me that option on the rare occasion that I want it.

#16 Edited by jimmyfenix (3816 posts) -
I love this game

#17 Posted by SgtSphynx (1241 posts) -
#18 Posted by Masterherox (59 posts) -

It varies from time to time. Recently it's been Monaco, but I've also had the same experience with Smash bros, Mario galaxy, and TF2 to name a few.

#19 Posted by benspyda (2016 posts) -
#20 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

Dont really have any game like that anymore. It used to be Rise of Nations, but I've played that game to death.

#21 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4138 posts) -

Halo 3

#22 Posted by TheRookie727 (57 posts) -

Usually is either civ III, ftl, or minecraft.

#23 Posted by benspyda (2016 posts) -

Gaming is serious business for me. When I game, I give it all my attention. If I want to do some mindless activities I would not be gaming.

That's why I kinda gave two examples. Doesn't have to be mindless, it could be really intense like Brad's DOTA, just something you keep coming back to if you don't feel like playing anything else.

#24 Posted by ShaggE (6298 posts) -

"Butterstumps".

OH, safe "game", not "word"! Uhhhh... dunno, really. I don't know if there's one in particular. ROTT, perhaps.

#25 Posted by BBAlpert (1355 posts) -

For a long time it was Orcs Must Die.

#26 Posted by L1GHTN1N (436 posts) -

TF2, that's been my go-to game for about 4 years now. If I just want to zone out I fire that up, turn on some Pandora and play on a 2fort server for an hour or two. I also did that with Hotline Miami and Dota 2 for a while, but since I've gotten A+ on all the levels there's not much left to play in Hotline Miami, and all of my friends have stopped playing Dota 2 so after almost 200 hours I've almost stopped entirely. There's been other games, but none have gotten as much playtime as those 3.

#27 Edited by benspyda (2016 posts) -

Like the video game concept of a safe word?

Well sometimes I need a safe word for when Dark Souls treats me too rough...

#28 Posted by Levio (1782 posts) -

LoL ARAM

#29 Posted by Cramsy (1163 posts) -

Starcraft 2 for sure. Without fail, every day I play ,watch a stream or read about it

#30 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1523 posts) -

Euro Truck Simulator 2

#31 Posted by Freelancer52 (69 posts) -

Team fortress 2, but I have also been playing a lot of Rogue legacy recently while listening to podcasts

#32 Posted by j0lter (225 posts) -

Dark Souls and anything in the Shin Megami Tensei series

#33 Edited by Dalai (6980 posts) -

It had been Team Fortress 2 for a few years, but I really don't have one at the moment. Maybe it's time to get back on the TF2 horse and ride.

#34 Edited by me3639 (1711 posts) -

i guess mine would be Secret World. Ive really found comfort playing and watching x-files same time.

#35 Edited by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Skyrim, Dungeons of Dredmor or Saints Row 3 work for me most of the time. Helps dealing with the overcrushing stress going on lately.

edit-before that Sacred 2 on the 360 is great for this, just put on some music or podcast as the audio gets a bit repetitive after a while but for this diablo clone, the world is insanely huge (looks easily in the range of Just Cause2 on the map size) & marks on the map for your quests so just roam & kill stuff. Just Cause 2 also good one to just roam around blowing things up.

#36 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Gears 1 for sure.

#37 Posted by falserelic (5280 posts) -

Back in the ps2 days I had a lot of safe games, watching this vid kinda reminded of the good ole days of gaming back then.

#38 Posted by ToTheNines (626 posts) -

Starcraft 2, takes my mind off things.

#39 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1170 posts) -

Its usually a Firaxis game. I mainly go to Civ Rev or XCOM but I am always in the mood for a strategy game.

#40 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
Because pun.

#41 Posted by Ezakael (910 posts) -

Gothic 1 and 2 are definitely that type of game for me. Gothic 1 was really the first game I ever played through to the end on PC and I still have good memories playing them. So it feels good to go back and play them every now and than.

The whole .Hack series is the same way. Lots of good memories.

#42 Posted by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

Pilotwings 64. Get into a birdman suit and just flutter around while listening to a smooth jazzy vibe that's like Blade Runner on ketamine. You can use the helicopter but having to land for fuel is a faff. I used to load up Vice City and Saints Row 2 just to fly a copter round the town, too.

I could go for a bit of that right now. I finished Bully for the first time yesterday and I'm in that limbo stage where you don't want to start something new as it would trample on the wilting flowers of its memory. I've got Tales of Vesperia, Earthbound and Final Fantasy VI but I haven't decided what I'll go for yet.

#43 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5138 posts) -
  • Skyrim
  • any of the mainline Pokemon games
  • Various turn based strategy games (Xcom EU, Fire Emblem, Civ 5, etc.)
#44 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

I don't think I have a safe game, I am sad now. :(

#45 Posted by believer258 (11566 posts) -

Oblivion, Skyrim, and Just Cause 2 are the games I find myself playing when I just need a "safe" game to play.

#46 Posted by Elwoodan (742 posts) -

Guildwars 2 is nice when I just want to progress in a game without really focusing, literally everything you do nets EXP, and it will be nice to eventually have an max level of every class so when I want to play seriously I can chose any class.

I am hopelessly addicted to Terraria, I'm sitting at nearly 150 hours without any mods or add-ons, and I have probably 'beaten' the game (started with nothing and killed all the bosses) at least half a dozen times.

#47 Edited by BaneFireLord (2908 posts) -

Just Cause 2, Trials Evolution and GTA San Andreas.

#48 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Used to be Gears but now I don't have any.... :(

#49 Edited by bigjeffrey (4711 posts) -

Left 4 Dead 2 on 360 (Still has a community despite lack of mods)

Halo 4

Persona 4 Arena Idle on Title Screen

Used to be Minecraft 360, but then it got boring as shit.

#50 Posted by TheHT (10810 posts) -

Web of Shadows