What sci-fi (across all media) are you excited about most?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I know you wouldn't consider books as media, though in a way, I guess you could, but anyways, I'll count those in as well. What I'm asking is, from games, movies, book, and otherwise, when it comes to the sci-fi genre, what are you most excited to see/read/play this year? I'm not saying what outdoes the other, but just list the many sci-fi things that you're excited about that's coming out this year. For me, when it comes to film, I'm really excited about Prometheus 'cause I love (LOVE!) Alien/Aliens, and to a lesser extent, though still excited, I want to see Lockout. Both have Guy Pearce in it, which is weird.

I'm not aware of any other sci-fi films, but if anyone does, please tell me about them. When it comes to games, there are a lot I think. Mass Effect 3, Syndicate, Prey 2, and Halo 4 to the lesser extent since I haven't seen much on it yet... um. What else looks promising? There has to be more and I'm just not remember. Then unfortunately when it comes to books, in my case, there are none, but that's only 'cause I don't actively looks for books. (I know). Anyways, how about you? What sci-fi's are you excited about that are coming this year? Do you even like sci-fi? If you don't, we will never speak. No, just kidding.

By the way, again, if I didn't mention promising looking sci-fi films or games, please tell me, and if anyone out there knows of any upcoming sci-fi books that look good too, please tell me. I love sci-fi! Not so much Star Wars... but whatever! By the way, does anyone think the Lockout movie looks like a mix of RE4 (save the presidents blonde pretty daughter, The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (maximum security prison), and Dead Space (the zero-g part starting at 1:28 in the trailer)? I just hate the corny ass narration.

"There's only one man who can get her out."

"Who?"

"Snow... He's the best there is, but he's a loose cannon."

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sooty

Prometheus and some info on Dead Space 3, struggling to think of anything else right now. Maybe news on the Blade Runner project?

Edit: and of course Mass Effect 3

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

@Sooty: Noooo! Ha ha, I just meant of stuff you know that's coming out this year. If we're talking about overall news, then I'm fully agree'd upon on the Dead Space and Blade Runner. I just meant when it comes to stuff we know of that we can have this year.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

Oh, and I understand sci-fi's not just limited to stories of technological advancements, outer-space, and the future, but I don't consider a film like Chronicle, The Avengers, and god forbid Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (to name a few) to count. I mean, for me at least.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ze_ro

I've always liked the EVE Online universe but Mass Effect really got me into sci-fi.

The ones I'm waiting for the most at the moment are Syndicate and ME3.

ps. Deus Ex: HR was excellent.

Ursus_Veritas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Ursus_Veritas

Currently, Mass Effect 3 - especially after the demo. Can't wait for that!  Apart from that, the next series of Doctor Who, but that's quite a way off at the moment. Gamewise, Halo 4 is there too because I'm a massive Halo fan... I tried that Syndicate co-op demo, but found I was way less interested in the shooting and way more interested in having a game where you could just do that 'breaching' stuff exclusively, and be almost like a Cyberpunk mage. Apart from that, I don't really think sci-fi wise there's much else coming out that interests me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NTM

@Ursus_Veritas: Oh yeah, I forget to mention television. I'm not much into the shows of today, and certainly none of the "sci-fi" shows they have to offer now. I like Star Trek, and that was about it. I couldn't ever get into Battlestar Galactica (though I do love Gaff/Martin Castillo, if you get what I'm saying.) and never really saw Firefly (though that did look interesting and stars many that collaborated on the Halo titles). Doctor Who isn't the type of sci-fi I'd be into. It's nice that you mentioned it though since I forgot.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Masha2932
supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By supamon

@NTM: Would Hawken fit the bill? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udEAEARD-Fo

I love love love Sci-Fi but what kinda turns me off is a lot of sci-fi media out there is just too vague or borderline fantasy. I like it when things are explained or rationalized. There aren't too many out there like that nowadays =/

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, anyone can point me to the good stuff too?

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Alexandruxx

Dead Space 3 info, Mass Effect 3 and Hard Reset Extended Edition.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

@supamon: Yes, I guess that game would fit the bill. I'm not sure if I've heard of that game, and although I probably won't play it, the art looks great and the technical side of it holds it up pretty well. Looks like when you're in a mech in Killzone 2 and 3. Anyways, can you give me some examples of sci-fi's you like? If you do, maybe I can recommend some. I take it when you say you like things being rationalized, you mean to say you like plausible sci-fi? If so, I agree.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

@Masha2932: Now that's just weird. Whether I mean in a good or bad way, makes no difference.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust

Besides ME3, probably the third Evangelion movie has me most excited. That and the new Eureka Seven series. If you want to expand sci-fi beyond space and robots, then the Dark Knight and Avengers movies, too. Oh and I am curious to see what the AKB48 (AKB0048) anime looks like. It just sounds so odd but familiar. Something about a dystopian future where there are no pop idols and so the girl group is cloned or something and then have to save the universe. Not quite, the Partridge Family 2200 AD of my youth, but close enough to catch my attention.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Contrarian

I watch pretty much any Sci-Fi series on television, but they all fall into exactly the same trap - they write a season and if they get to make another, they sit down to write some more. In this way, they are making it up as they go, season by season, not knowing where it will end and quite often write themselves into a corner with nowhere to go. Sanctuary started with a little promise and then the war with Hollow Earth started looking like The 4400. They just keep borrowing from each other. I love Star Trek, but it has some of the worst plotlines in any show.

That is why I am yet to see a sci-fi series that delivered more than Babylon 5. The show was conceived as a 5 season show and the story was completely written prior to filming. It had a beginning, a middle and an end. None of the aimless stuff plaguing most shows. I wish more shows could be written as one long story and stick to it - like games and sidequests, it can have side/back stories, but they need to be relevant to the whole series. It is just satisfying knowing the show will have a proper conclusion. It must be hard to get someone to commission and pay for 5 seasons up front.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By MezZa

Mass Effect 3 comes to mind first. The rest of this season of Fringe as well even though it might not be getting renewed.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Gangstas in Space.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By supamon

@NTM said:

@supamon: Yes, I guess that game would fit the bill. I'm not sure if I've heard of that game, and although I probably won't play it, the art looks great and the technical side of it holds it up pretty well. Looks like when you're in a mech in Killzone 2 and 3. Anyways, can you give me some examples of sci-fi's you like? If you do, maybe I can recommend some. I take it when you say you like things being rationalized, you mean to say you like plausible sci-fi? If so, I agree.

Yeah I guess you can say I prefer plausible sci-fi. Some examples I like would be District 9, Moon, Firefly, Ghost in the shell and Cowboy Bebop.

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By jimi

Enders Game, Prometheus and Mass Effect 3.

Barf_Surprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Barf_Surprise

Fringe, Fringe, and More Fringe. Best show on TV Hands Down

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NTM

@Jimi: Ender's Game the book, or the film they're making staring the kid from Hugo?

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Liquidus

Mass Effect is the first that comes to mind at this point in time. But I also I'm super pumped about Prometheus, it's nice to see Ridley Scott return to sci-fi after so many years of absence and considering how influential Alien and Blade Runner are, I'd say it's a very welcome return. It didn't come out this year but I'm currently reading through William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy, seeing the roots of cyberpunk which is more and more increasingly becoming my favorite style of sci-fi.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@supamon said:

@NTM said:

Yeah I guess you can say I prefer plausible sci-fi. Some examples I like would be District 9, Moon, Firefly, Ghost in the shell and Cowboy Bebop.

Not that this helps you much, but did you know they may make a sequel to Moon and it's going to be somewhat like Blade Runner but set in Berlin (I think)? It's not necessarily a continuation of Moon's story, but it's in the same fictional universe. Sam Rockwell agreed to make a cameo as well. Although I've never seen it, I've heard a film called Metropolis is great. Actually, there are two sci-fi films called Metropolis, one which is anime, and another a very old sci-fi which some consider one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time. I think you'd be more into the anime one considering you like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop. If you haven't seen these few, I consider seeing Blade Runner, Alien, Aliens, and Avatar (but who hasn't seen that?). There are so many sci-fi films out there to recommend, but I think you should actively find them yourself.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By selbie

That Star Trek / Dr Who mashup sounds appalling.

Definitely Prometheus.

Also;

Men In Black 3 - I'm curious to see where they will take this one given its time travelling context.

Dredd - Karl Urban is badass in scifi movies.

John Carter - Maybe that horrible name is hiding something really cool. At least the special effects look great :P

Riddick 3 - I loved the idea behind Chronicles, but the cinematography made me want to stab my eyes out. Lets hope this one can return to its Pitch Black indie roots (yeah, right).

Prey 2 - Blade Runner meets Mass Effect meets Assassin's Creed

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By supamon

@NTM said:

I consider seeing Blade Runner, Alien, Aliens, and Avatar (but who hasn't seen that?). There are so many sci-fi films out there to recommend, but I think you should actively find them yourself.

Yep I've already seen those. Aside from Avatar which I don't believe deserves the accolades, I like them all. I read about Metropolis (both versions) but it's quite old so it's kinda hard to track down. I guess what I'm trying to say that there isn't any original sci-fi stuff nowadays that's expansive and really interesting like WH40K and Dune.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By predator

I love classic sci-fi books and films, not really excited about anything new right now.

@NTM said:

Oh, and I understand sci-fi's not just limited to stories of technological advancements, outer-space, and the future, but I don't consider a film like Chronicle, The Avengers, and god forbid Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (to name a few) to count. I mean, for me at least.

Sci-fi that looks at more philosophical themes is my favourite kind.

@supamon said:

@NTM said:

I consider seeing Blade Runner, Alien, Aliens, and Avatar (but who hasn't seen that?). There are so many sci-fi films out there to recommend, but I think you should actively find them yourself.

Yep I've already seen those. Aside from Avatar which I don't believe deserves the accolades, I like them all. I read about Metropolis (both versions) but it's quite old so it's kinda hard to track down. I guess what I'm trying to say that there isn't any original sci-fi stuff nowadays that's expansive and really interesting like WH40K and Dune.

The Complete Metropolis came out a while ago on DVD and Blu-ray. It shouldn't be that hard to find, I've seen it! I'm going to recommend Stalker and Solaris.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supamon said:

@NTM said:

Metropolis is on Netflix Streaming if you have it, both the restored original and the insane 80's edit.

Also did someone call the Dark Knight Rises Science Fiction? I don't follow...

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By supamon
Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Syndicate looks promising. Looking forward to ME3 being a total piece of shit for anyone who wants a true ME sequel. And honestly probably shitting on ME2 the way ME2 shat on ME.

Oh, Walking Dead!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mordukai

Having recently seen Moon I am very interested in the upcoming graphic novel that ties into that movie. As far as gaming wise then Mass Effect 3 just to finish that damn series.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By matthias2437

Prometheus, Starcraft, Mass Effect 3

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By predator
BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BrockNRolla

Definitely looking forward to Prometheus in the future. As far as what currently gets me going though is ME3 anticipation (and the iOS sideprojects) and pretty much whatever Warhammer 40k stuff I can get my hands on. I've fallen totally in love with the fiction of both those universes.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Mass Effect and Dead Space, I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan though.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#34  Edited By Commisar123

Prometheus looks amazing

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NTM

@supamon said:

@NTM said:

I knew you'd say something somewhat negative about Avatar, and it's understandable, not necessarily because I can see why the hate (though I can guess), but because for me personally, when I saw it in theaters, and the first time on blu-ray, I thought it was dumb as well. Then after I saw it again, and again, and again, I loved it. I think it takes some getting used to, it really is a fantastic universe to escape to. You really have to look beyond what you see in the film, and know more about what you do see. Even though I doubt you'll give it another chance, I still recommend it. I love it so much I had to have the Extended Blu-Ray Collectors Edition, and it's great. And yeah, I understand what you mean about the originality. I think when it comes to sci-fi though, you have to look beyond what's there on the screen, and also learn more about what you do see on it. I think we both like sci-fi, but see them differently.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By NTM

@selbie said:

That Star Trek / Dr Who mashup sounds appalling.

Definitely Prometheus.

Also;

Men In Black 3 - I'm curious to see where they will take this one given its time travelling context.

Dredd - Karl Urban is badass in scifi movies.

John Carter - Maybe that horrible name is hiding something really cool. At least the special effects look great :P

Riddick 3 - I loved the idea behind Chronicles, but the cinematography made me want to stab my eyes out. Lets hope this one can return to its Pitch Black indie roots (yeah, right).

Prey 2 - Blade Runner meets Mass Effect meets Assassin's Creed

Is the new Chronicles of Riddick film coming this year? I loved the games, but I disliked both films, and the only redeeming quality to them were some of the characters. Dredd too? Is that Judge Dredd? Karl Urban? Ugh! He's really only good in Star Trek, which is probably his most successful film other than Lord of the Rings. I guess I shouldn't be so harsh though, he must love sci-fi to be in all those sci-fi films. Anyways, nice choices.

EgoistShrugged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EgoistShrugged

Ever since I went down the Dawn of War rabbit hole I am completely entranced with Warhammer 40k Lore. I am reading the books and keeping a candle lit for dark millennium. For the Emperor!

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By supamon

@NTM said:

@supamon said:

@NTM said:

I knew you'd say something somewhat negative about Avatar, and it's understandable, not necessarily because I can see why the hate (though I can guess), but because for me personally, when I saw it in theaters, and the first time on blu-ray, I thought it was dumb as well. Then after I saw it again, and again, and again, I loved it. I think it takes some getting used to, it really is a fantastic universe to escape to. You really have to look beyond what you see in the film, and know more about what you do see. Even though I doubt you'll give it another chance, I still recommend it. I love it so much I had to have the Extended Blu-Ray Collectors Edition, and it's great. And yeah, I understand what you mean about the originality. I think when it comes to sci-fi though, you have to look beyond what's there on the screen, and also learn more about what you do see on it. I think we both like sci-fi, but see them differently.

Whoa whoa there! While I did say something negative about Avatar, I didn't say it was utter trash. Personally I saw it trice, twice in 3D and once not in 3D. Like you said it takes some getting used to and some contemplation on what the movie was trying to convey but at its core I still think it's a very simple story. Not really deserving of the nominations it got.

I was going to explain how much more complex and in-depth a story like Ghost in the shell is but I realized it's too big to be put in a few sentences. Suffice to say, it raises many questions such as the definition of a human if we can transfer everything in our brain into a cyborg, would we still be considered a human? What becomes of our soul since we can freely change bodies at will and can you still call someone who has had two brains copied into the same body a person?

So yeah, while it may not be fair to compare a two hour plus long film to a franchise that has spawned multiple manga, film and anime series. It is something that I find thought invoking and much more original.

I guess the problem is will we ever have anything new or original? Heck Avatar's story is similar to Pocahontas so there's nothing new there. At this rate I'm going to have to start watching my little pony.....

LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LastNinja
FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By FreakAche

Hmm... this year? I guess really just Fringe and Mass Effect. I know that Star Trek shooter is supposed to come out this year, and I'll certainly keep my eye on it, but it hasn't really grabbed me.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kmdrkul

What kind of idiot doesn't consider books as a medium?

Anywho, sci-fi? I'm pretty excited to see John Carter.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

I would have to say mass effect. Mass effect is the only sci fi I have really shown any interest in so i'm hoping mass effect 3 will be as good as I think it will be.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jay444111

@PenguinDust said:

Besides ME3, probably the third Evangelion movie has me most excited. That and the new Eureka Seven series. If you want to expand sci-fi beyond space and robots, then the Dark Knight and Avengers movies, too. Oh and I am curious to see what the AKB48 (AKB0048) anime looks like. It just sounds so odd but familiar. Something about a dystopian future where there are no pop idols and so the girl group is cloned or something and then have to save the universe. Not quite, the Partridge Family 2200 AD of my youth, but close enough to catch my attention.

Wait... there is going to be a new Eureka Seven series?

... dude, please don't be pulling my chain, I fucking loved that show and will be pissed if this is untrue.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By Levius

I'm looking forward to when Falling Skies comes back sometime this summer. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic stuff, and I dug the fact they tried to give the show a grounding in realism. Also there are a few good plot set ups in the first series that should pay off later on.

Also looking forward to Fringe, Prometheus and the usual other big names this year. I am also holding out hope for an English translation of metro 2034.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

@LastNinja said:

Prometheus.

Oh and K3LOID

That's interesting. Looks like a film made by someone who does commercials.

LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LastNinja

@NTM said:

@LastNinja said:

Prometheus.

Oh and K3LOID

That's interesting. Looks like a film made by someone who does commercials.

Cool. Ridley Scott and Tony Scott used to do commercials.