• 123 results
#1 Posted by Mr_croft (35 posts) -

As we all know the community is heavily divided. We have the old school players who have played the classics. Resident evil 1,2,3 etc... Then we have the new school players who are what I call "post re4" those who played games after RE4. It is tough to please two divided camps of gamers. Those who like puzzles and horror and then those who like action and QTEs.

What do you guys think? Should they do a REboot? Maybe just clean the slate and start fresh? Continue on the story from RE6?

I personally like the old games. Re2 being the best one they ever made. I'm a diehard fan who has played every single installment of the game. I think they should reboot like a fresh RE game in the mansion and re write it all. The game has been around for almost two decades which is already pretty amazing.

(If this is the wrong section please replace)

I want to know

#2 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2010 posts) -

Stop, preferably.

#3 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5057 posts) -
#4 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

Hire David Jaffe and hire ten hungry developers to make it. Three hours long.

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8247 posts) -

I'd be happy as a pig in poo if I got a game that included the following:

• Atmosphere and pacing of RE4
  • Combat mechanics of RE5
  • Interwoven storylines of RE6
#6 Posted by StarvingGamer (8247 posts) -

@siroptimusprime said:

Stop, preferably.

I'll never understand this sentiment. "I don't like 'X' therefore no one should be allowed to enjoy 'X'!"

#7 Edited by Turtlebird95 (2390 posts) -

Cancel it and make something good.

Rebooting it might also be acceptable. I just don't see that story going anywhere.

#8 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

REboot.

#9 Posted by Mr_croft (35 posts) -

@turtlebird95: resident evil is the grandfather of survival horror. You are implying RE has never been good?

#10 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3154 posts) -

I personally would absolutely love it if they went back and made games in the style of the old ones, but I know that's not really marketable in this day and age. I'd be happy if they continued on the path they're going, I liked 6.

#11 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2010 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@siroptimusprime said:

Stop, preferably.

I'll never understand this sentiment. "I don't like 'X' therefore no one should be allowed to enjoy 'X'!"

I dunno, this asked what I think they should do with the franchise. I don't care what other people want in their games, because I'm not them.

#12 Edited by ToTheNines (722 posts) -

next step is an animation action movie Michael Bay style!

oh.. they already done that.. nevermind.. well, they could make a horror game I guess, thats cool.

#13 Edited by CircleNine (381 posts) -

Hire people who know how to make good more action oriented 3rd person shooters or don't do an action oriented 3rd person shooter. Probably also just get rid of Umbrella and all of the baggage that comes along with it.

#14 Posted by wemibelec90 (1671 posts) -

I like the originals a great deal, tank controls and all, but know that Capcom would never release something like that today. I would settle for something that isn't so action-focused and tried to capture some of the atmosphere and puzzle solving that I loved about the first four games in the series.

#15 Edited by Oscar__Explosion (2304 posts) -

Not make it. Take a break.

#16 Posted by Mr_croft (35 posts) -

It seems this genre of gaming is going down as well. Look at dead space 3 now

#17 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

They should completely start over. I wish the Silent Hill developers would do the same, but that's a discussion for another thread.

#18 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -
#19 Posted by GunstarRed (5189 posts) -

Wait for the Evil Within to come out, Play a bunch of Dead Space 1/2 and copy all of their best ideas.

Revelations was a step in the right direction.

Also, hire the voice cast from Deep Fear.

#20 Posted by billymagnum (827 posts) -

let a fan make it

#21 Posted by Grillbar (1834 posts) -

shoot it in the head, or at least stop making it until they come up with something better then the last couple of games.
i played RE 1-6, operation racoon city, revelations and maybe some other ones that i cant remember, i actually liked 5 and 6 was also okay considering how amazingly stupid it was. the co-op game was so incredible bad.
im at the point where i really dont care about the series, actually have not cared since 5 yet still end up buying and playing them when there is an extreme lull in games in hopes that its at least somewhat decent and fun.

#22 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2390 posts) -
@mr_croft said:

@turtlebird95: resident evil is the grandfather of survival horror. You are implying RE has never been good?

Huh? I'm not implying that at all. I just think Capcom has run that series so far into the ground that at this point they'd be better off starting over. It might have defined survival horror games back then, but now it's just a bad action game with crappy controls.

#23 Posted by Scroll (598 posts) -

Get someone else to make it. Resident Evil 5 was a pretty dull game and they failed to learn anything from that experience so I doubt they'll take the criticisms of 6 to heart.

#24 Posted by Mr_croft (35 posts) -

@turtlebird95: ah I see I misunderstood. I do feel the pain it really isn't as good as it used to be. Even tho I played a lot of onslaught on 6

#25 Posted by gokaired (534 posts) -

A reboot would be okay.

#26 Posted by Voxus (336 posts) -

Take it back to one locale, a mansion.

#27 Posted by BeachThunder (11943 posts) -

First person, in space.

#28 Edited by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

you cannot go back to not having camera control, so I don't see how anyone would want them to go back to RE1-2...

I dunno guys, what is it that made RE2 and RE4 good? Start with a list and then see where that takes you (sorry I only ever played revelations....it was okay)

#29 Edited by seveword (156 posts) -

Give me a full-fledged Mercenaries game (full-fledged, not that mishmash port for the 3ds). I could give a rip about story, I just want me some hot zombie murder combo action. I want boulder-punching, neck-snapping, and any other thing-actioning stuff they can throw in there.

#30 Posted by afabs515 (1083 posts) -
#31 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

I like old Resident Evil and also Resident Evil 4.

They should make the game they want to make without adhering to prior expectations at all. Reexamine every design decision from the ground up.

#32 Edited by NTM (7381 posts) -

I liked all of the Resident Evil games, except for the side ones. I do think four is the best; five took some getting used to for me, and it still doesn't reach the highs of four, but it's still a superb game to me. I thought RE6 was a really great game. I just hope it doesn't turn into what I felt the ending seemed to tease at, as if it were focused on Jake punching zombie creatures... Six has it's minor problems here and there, but one I feel is worth mentioning is that while I believe what there was to work with, they did a fine job, but it still wasn't much of a reason to bring back another game.

I'm glad they did make another one, but the story didn't have much reason to exist beyond "Hey, more zombies and another outbreak!" I would actually hate it if they went back to old school style, at least in the sense of ink ribbons. They were going to make it so four had the original camera angles as you walked around, but when you aimed, it was over the shoulder, it also had ghosts... I could honestly do with an updated version of RE6 style gameplay. I wish they did an MGS4 style Resident Evil though, where it brings all the beloved RE characters and puts it in to one. I'd love to see the main protagonists be Jill; Claire; Leon and Chris.

I don't want a reboot. I liked the action of the later RE games, but I'd welcome horror back into the series. My brother and I have almost all RE games, on every console, so... I guess we're huge RE fans.

#33 Posted by Hunter5024 (5687 posts) -

It would be funny if they got Ninja Theory to do it. Seriously though, some better writers would be really cool. This criticism applies to most Capcom games. Atmosphere is also really important, and they didn't give it enough attention after 4. I would prefer if they dropped the co-op as well. The feeling of isolation was something I enjoyed before they introduced that, at least with Ashley you didn't have her around 100% of the time. Plus when she died it sucked, but it at least sucked because it was your fault, if your co op buddy dies you just get mad at them, and if your AI partner dies it just feels like you're being punished for not getting a real person to play with you. As far as the puzzles and stuff go, I'm not really sure, all I know is RE5 did a bad job of breaking up the shooting segments.

#34 Posted by BBAlpert (1475 posts) -

It would be funny if they got Ninja Theory to do it. Seriously though, some better writers would be really cool. This criticism applies to most Capcom games. Atmosphere is also really important, and they didn't give it enough attention after 4. I would prefer if they dropped the co-op as well. The feeling of isolation was something I enjoyed before they introduced that, at least with Ashley you didn't have her around 100% of the time. Plus when she died it sucked, but it at least sucked because it was your fault, if your co op buddy dies you just get mad at them, and if your AI partner dies it just feels like you're being punished for not getting a real person to play with you. As far as the puzzles and stuff go, I'm not really sure, all I know is RE5 did a bad job of breaking up the shooting segments.

Put PlatinumGames on that shit and call it REvengeance.

#35 Edited by dancinginfernal (474 posts) -

Wait for the Evil Within to come out, Play a bunch of Dead Space 1/2 and copy all of their best ideas.

"A solution?!?"

#36 Posted by snaps (19 posts) -

As someone who just finished the Chris campaign of RE6 today....this thing needs a fucking reboot. It was one of the most frustrating gaming experiences of my life. Only 3 more campaigns to go...............kill me.

#37 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (416 posts) -

The series is in desperate need of a reboot if they plan on continuing it. The fiction is completely broken at this point, the gameplay keeps getting worse with every release, the signature atmosphere is basically non-existent anymore. Capcom should just hand the series to a new team and give them free reign to do whatever the hell they want.

#38 Posted by crow13 (143 posts) -

Capcom needs to pull a Mortal Kombat. Start over, rewrite fiction.

#39 Posted by Ruined_Fokkusu (16 posts) -

It should be a survival horror game again. I don't really care about the story, that was never the interesting part for me.The interesting part was the gameplay, trying to survive the horror. Having limited resources and thinking about what you should use and what you should save. That's the mindset I have to put myself in when I played the older games and I loved it. The Last of Us on hard difficulty does this well and has been a better Resident Evil game than any recent Resident Evil game has been.

#40 Posted by tourgen (4501 posts) -

First person, in space.

yes! I'd play that!

Also let Platinum make a 3rd person action spinoff. Not because I want to play a RE action spinoff, but because I want to play more Platinum games.

#41 Posted by CornBREDX (5303 posts) -

This is what they should do.

Not make another Resident Evil.

#42 Edited by chocolaterhinovampire (1289 posts) -

Brad mentioned the idea of it being set in 19th century England and that sound awesome

#43 Posted by believer258 (11914 posts) -

I think the franchise needs to end, but if they must use the RE name then place RE7 in a different universe without any zombies or viruses or mutants. Make up something new and make it scary.

#44 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

The return of tank controls and fixed camera angles would be both hilarious and the best thing ever. Current gen graphics with ps1 era RE gameplay would be amazing, not even ironically. But I know that's just nostalgia speaking.

#45 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11741 posts) -

While in some deeply ironic way I am totally in favor of them continuing down the path of making Resident Evil into increasingly dumb action movies involving the series' increasingly convoluted and nonsensical backstory... the rational human being in me thinks that if Capcom is going to do anything with the series at this point, they should probably reboot it from the ground up.

Also, I would pay money for a new Resident Evil game in the classical style, but that would never happen because that would also be an incredibly stupid idea.

#46 Posted by RonGalaxy (3170 posts) -

Clean slate. Full Reboot. Give it to a new dev with fresh ideas; let them go to town with it. The series is in need of inspired ideas. If they just release another action/shooter sequel that iterates on what re4 did, but in the wrong ways, they might as well be throwing the series in the trash. People can say what they want, but RE can still bring something interesting to the table when it comes to zombie fiction. It's still possible, but capcom cant do what they've been doing. If they do it's guaranteed to fuck up

#47 Posted by Pr1mus (3913 posts) -

Make a good game this time is probably the way to go.

#48 Edited by RonGalaxy (3170 posts) -

@gunstarred said:

I don't know man, The Evil Within seemed great in theory, but then I watched the gameplay demo for it and... That game looks fucking rough around the edges. Hopefully it's because its unfinished, but Ive never seen a gameplay demo that shows a game in that harsh of a state, under the circumstances it's in (being AAA with a big name publisher) and then turn out fantastic.

#49 Posted by BisonHero (6532 posts) -

They should make Resident Evil 4: Dancing All Night.

"Could you imagine the step? IT'S GENIUS!"

#50 Edited by RecSpec (3817 posts) -

Go all the way and make it the Dark Souls game they wanted RE6 to be.