What Sonic game collection is the best?

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vrikk

I know that there are four of them: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Mega Plus, and Sonic's Gems. HOWEVER, I know that some ports of older games can become really bad (see the Steam Sega Classics that I stupidly bought... and almost all games in it are buggy messes).

So my question is still the same: if you have played any of the above titles, are they worth it? Were the ports good?

Thanks.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

The best one is the one you throw in the garbage.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

The only answer I could possibly give would be quite an asshole answer.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@Vrikk said:

I know that there are four of them: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis, Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Mega Plus, and Sonic's Gems. HOWEVER, I know that some ports of older games can become really bad (see the Steam Sega Classics that I stupidly bought... and almost all games in it are buggy messes).

So my question is still the same: if you have played any of the above titles, are they worth it? Were the ports good?

Thanks.

Sonic Mega Collection is the best in my experience, though Mega Collection plus is the same thing with a few added Game Gear games, so that would be the best choice if you can find it. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection does have many other Sega Genesis greats such as the Phantasy Star series and many others, but from a purely Sonic perspective, Mega Collection is better. Sonic Gems Collection is a bunch of "hidden gems", but for the most part they were hidden for a reason. Three games; Sonic CD (which some like but I hate), Sonic the Fighters which is terrible, and Sonic R which is unimpressive as well; make up core offering of Gems, with a bunch of Game Gear and Master System Sonic games included as well.

In my experience Mega Collection emulates flawlessly. It has every Genesis Sonic game you would want, meaning Sonic 1 - Knuckles and other games like Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Spinball, Dr. Robotnik's MBM (AKA Puyo Puyo) and several other games. It even includes some "history of Sonic" videos and a bunch of artwork, including the covers to all the classic Archie Comics Sonic series. It's a great package for Sonic fans.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I have Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. I never ran into any issues with the ports, it was definitely worth the $20 I spent.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By sjschmidt93

SUGC is actually quite good. The emulation seems perfect, there are a lot of fun achievements, and there are save states.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By fox01313

Played some of them, they all seem relatively the same so the best one would be the ones with the games you want to play on it.

TheBostonPops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheBostonPops

Agree, the Ultimate Genesis collection is worth the money. Having every Sonic, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage and Shining Force game in one collection is such a great value. I wish they had an option to play combined Sonic 3 & Knuckles though, rather than have them separate.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@TheBostonPops said:

Agree, the Ultimate Genesis collection is worth the money. Having every Sonic, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage and Shining Force game in one collection is such a great value. I wish they had an option to play combined Sonic 3 & Knuckles though, rather than have them separate.

Sonic Mega Collection has that option, as well as Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Blue Sphere.

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Shindiggah

@TheBostonPops said:

This is the only answer.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Karl_Boss

Ultimate Genesis easily.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You may as well get Ultimate Genesis Collection, as it throws in a bajillion other games as well, not to mention the part where you can find it super easily for like $20, whereas the others you may have to do some digging.