What surprised, enchanted, troubled, and humbled me at E3 09 Day1

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

Edited By AgentJ

First Blog Post since the SSBB 47 part series. Also, kudos to anyone who gets the reference from this posts title.

What games impressed me:
Alan Wake. The mood, the story, the gameplay, all had me very impressed while watching the demo on stage. This may be a day one purchcase for me
All Points Bulletien (APB). While we didn't get a lot of substance, The trailer of the game reaffirmed that this will be a unique and hopefully awesome game.
Natal/Milo. I know that appearances are likely decieving in this case, but the idea was just too damned impressive to ignore. 
Beatles Rock Band. I wont be buying it (my rock band setup is on the wii, and im not shelling out for two pairs of instruments) but Harmonix is going the extra mile for this one. 
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Another one i won't be buying, but the Snowmobile chase was extremely awesome
Edit: The Saboteur. The stylish look and plethora of options for going about your mission intrigue me. I'll have to get this one in my hands before making a final verdict

What games suprised me:
Splinter Cell Conviction. I haven't enjoyed any of the Splinter Cell games to date, but something about this one is grabbing me by the throat and saying "buy me". I just wish they'd not make the main character into a Jack Bauer rip-off, which it seems they have
Brutal Legend. Until today, i was not interested in the game at all, mostly due to my anti-Jack Black bias. However, the presence so far has me anxious
Rabbids Go Home. It looks like sort of a Katamari/Nuts and Bolts hybrid, which sounds good to me
Edit: Forgot Shadow Complex. That game looks EXTREMELY interesting.

What games made me indifferent:
Dante's Inferno. Maybe if I had been into the source material this would be different, but it looked pretty standard. 
Crackdown 2. Another cg trailer featuring another muscle-bound, folicle-lacking hero. Have we had enough of these yet?
Metal Gear Solid Rising. Im sure the game will be good and all, but i am completely indifferent to it. I wanted 4.
Tony Hawk Ride. An example of how Microsoft (and likely Sony) are trying to get a little bit of Nintendo's wii juice. Couldn't they have just done this on the Balance Board?
Final fantasy XIII. Maybe it was because I couldn't hear what the demo guy was saying, but i couldn't understand at all what was going on. Maybe if i watch this part of the Conference again i can put the game in a different section.
Red Steel 2. I was dissapointed that sword swings still seem to be predetermined like the first one, but the graphics and style are, for lack of a better word, sweet

What games dissapointed me:
Star Wars. The Old Republic. The Jedi fight was flipping awesome, dont get me wrong. But I wanted to see some gameplay footage. The idea that everything will be read aloud instead of text is pretty amazing, but is gameplay too much to ask?
Mass Effect 2. I will be buying this game, no question. But they showed us the exact same trailer as we saw a few days ago, with no new information
Halo ODST/Reach. I'm not about to spend another 60 dollars on another mediocre single-player halo experience, or for the priveledge of playing the new multiplayer maps. 
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AgentJ

First Blog Post since the SSBB 47 part series. Also, kudos to anyone who gets the reference from this posts title.

What games impressed me:
Alan Wake. The mood, the story, the gameplay, all had me very impressed while watching the demo on stage. This may be a day one purchcase for me
All Points Bulletien (APB). While we didn't get a lot of substance, The trailer of the game reaffirmed that this will be a unique and hopefully awesome game.
Natal/Milo. I know that appearances are likely decieving in this case, but the idea was just too damned impressive to ignore. 
Beatles Rock Band. I wont be buying it (my rock band setup is on the wii, and im not shelling out for two pairs of instruments) but Harmonix is going the extra mile for this one. 
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Another one i won't be buying, but the Snowmobile chase was extremely awesome
Edit: The Saboteur. The stylish look and plethora of options for going about your mission intrigue me. I'll have to get this one in my hands before making a final verdict

What games suprised me:
Splinter Cell Conviction. I haven't enjoyed any of the Splinter Cell games to date, but something about this one is grabbing me by the throat and saying "buy me". I just wish they'd not make the main character into a Jack Bauer rip-off, which it seems they have
Brutal Legend. Until today, i was not interested in the game at all, mostly due to my anti-Jack Black bias. However, the presence so far has me anxious
Rabbids Go Home. It looks like sort of a Katamari/Nuts and Bolts hybrid, which sounds good to me
Edit: Forgot Shadow Complex. That game looks EXTREMELY interesting.

What games made me indifferent:
Dante's Inferno. Maybe if I had been into the source material this would be different, but it looked pretty standard. 
Crackdown 2. Another cg trailer featuring another muscle-bound, folicle-lacking hero. Have we had enough of these yet?
Metal Gear Solid Rising. Im sure the game will be good and all, but i am completely indifferent to it. I wanted 4.
Tony Hawk Ride. An example of how Microsoft (and likely Sony) are trying to get a little bit of Nintendo's wii juice. Couldn't they have just done this on the Balance Board?
Final fantasy XIII. Maybe it was because I couldn't hear what the demo guy was saying, but i couldn't understand at all what was going on. Maybe if i watch this part of the Conference again i can put the game in a different section.
Red Steel 2. I was dissapointed that sword swings still seem to be predetermined like the first one, but the graphics and style are, for lack of a better word, sweet

What games dissapointed me:
Star Wars. The Old Republic. The Jedi fight was flipping awesome, dont get me wrong. But I wanted to see some gameplay footage. The idea that everything will be read aloud instead of text is pretty amazing, but is gameplay too much to ask?
Mass Effect 2. I will be buying this game, no question. But they showed us the exact same trailer as we saw a few days ago, with no new information
Halo ODST/Reach. I'm not about to spend another 60 dollars on another mediocre single-player halo experience, or for the priveledge of playing the new multiplayer maps. 
Jake_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Jake_K

I agree for the most part, but come on? Mass Effect 2 will be awesome, regardless of whether or not we got a new trailer.

Same with MGS; enough time has passed that if you REALLY wanted to play 4 you could have by now.

And I'm done with Rock Band, Beattles or not.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By ZombiePie

Wait  one moment...is this a blog that critiques what has so far occurred in E3 without fervent hatred or stringent fanboyism and instead analyzes past events in a calm and assertive manner while recognizing his own preferences?

You sir deserve a medal more so than I, CZAR OF GIANTBOMB!

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

Shell out for another instrument? You know you can buy just the game right?

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By trophyhunter

really alan wake impressed you? its alone in the dark in a small town instead of a big town

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
@trophyhunter said:
" really alan wake impressed you? its alone in the dark in a small town instead of a big town "
Yeah, i saw you say that somewhere else already. It just looks awesome, to me at least. Especially the demo, at the part where he was running through the forest and the trees were falling down. It reminded me of all the windstorms we've had where i live, and watching those trees come down
@Jake_K said:
" I agree for the most part, but come on? Mass Effect 2 will be awesome, regardless of whether or not we got a new trailer.Same with MGS; enough time has passed that if you REALLY wanted to play 4 you could have by now.And I'm done with Rock Band, Beattles or not. "
It will be awesome : )
you kidding me? I'm not shelling out 400 dollars for three games. I either wait for it to be ported or wait until the PS3 is old news, and therefore cheap.
@CL60 said: 
" Shell out for another instrument? You know you can buy just the game right? "
Unfortunately the Wii instruments arent compatable on the XBOX, and the XBOX version was the one we saw. Besides, they are talking about allowing for three microphones and three guitars at the same time, which means everyone already has the instruments or someone has to shell out for more. three drumsets? no thanks...
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ

Edit: Added Shadow Complex

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By pissedoffthewitch

Crackdown 2. Man i wasnt expecting it to exist at all! The developers said it was too late for the game to get a sequel but they must have just started. Skillz for killz

pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pissedoffthewitch

Alan Wake looked freakin awsome! it wasnt worth the wait but im glad they unveiled it its defianately a pre-order for me

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cc23574

Yeah, I was also dissapointed by ME2. I'm definitly going to buy and love that game but we have already seen most of the trailer.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By Ineedaname
@AgentJ: I must agree about halo ODST, it looked very mediocre.

@pissedoffthewitch: I must agree on everything, and it wasn't worth the wait.
I was shocked at crackdown 2, I was more thinking of Jeff when I heard it, I'd love to have seen if he'd reacted to the other guys when that was announced.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187

It wasn't very exciting today.  Sure, we got TRAILERS for everything...but there's no fucking gameplay!!!  I want to see GAMEPLAY of Crackdown 2.  I want to see GAMEPLAY of All Points Bulletin.  I want to see GAMEPLAY of The Old Republic.

Meanwhile, I personally enjoyed getting to hear...after 4 years of waiting...massive details about James Cameron's Avatar (trailer is supposedly attached to the beginning of the new Transformers movie, but if it's not, you'll know that you're going to see it if you get 3D glasses for a non-3D movie).  Other than that, the Ubisoft conference was SORELY disappointing.  No new info about I Am Alive.  Nothing at ALL about Beyond Good and Evil 2.  NOTHING AT ALL, and yet they made a POINT of keeping the huge secret about it at last year's E3.

I've just been completely and utterly disappointed by Day 1.  I think the news about Left 4 Dead 2 coming left than a year after the original is just making me sour.
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ineedaname said:
" @AgentJ: I must agree about halo ODST, it looked very mediocre.

@pissedoffthewitch: I must agree on everything, and it wasn't worth the wait. I was shocked at crackdown 2, I was more thinking of Jeff when I heard it, I'd love to have seen if he'd reacted to the other guys when that was announced. "
ODST just looks like more of the same to me
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AgentJ

Very true. I want to hear more about APB, AC2 and I am Alive. However, they showed off a number of games I want at ubisofts conference. TMNT, NMH2, Rabbids, and Assassins Creed all look fantastic

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Alex_V

The Saboteur looked good I thought. It seems to have been ignored by most coverage though - perhaps the openworld exploration schtick is getting a bit tired.

Mass Effect looked like I expected it to. Can't say I was disappointed.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By oldschool

I am jsut getting my knowledge on all this by reading the views of various sources.  I can't say that anything has 'grabbed' me.  I guess we just wait for games to be released and take it from there.  Bring on FF XIII though  :-)

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

it's cool to hate halo.
You're cool AgentJ

Honestly, I can't see how Halo disappointed you, all you ever do is bash it.
And how could reach have?  >.>   They just announced they're making a prequel. 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AgentJ
@SmugDarkLoser:
I only bash the single player mode of Halo because I absolutely hated playing the single player modes of 2 and 3. those were probably the worst gaming experiences i've ever had. Thats not to say anything of the fantastic multiplayer, but you have to understand that when I see a package like ODST coming out that will add some single player to 3 and a few more maps, how "meh" i would be.

@Alex_V said:
" The Saboteur looked good I thought. It seems to have been ignored by most coverage though - perhaps the openworld exploration schtick is getting a bit tired.Mass Effect looked like I expected it to. Can't say I was disappointed. "
Jesus, I forgot another one. The Saboteur does look nice. the stealth mechanics seem to be well executed. 
ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19  Edited By ElCapitan
@AgentJ:

I'm not so sure I agree with you on your The Beatles: Rock Band assessment. If you already have Rock Band on the Wii, why not get The Beatles on the Wii too? Yes, you can use three microphones to harmonize, but it's not necessary. No one has said anything about three guitars at once in this game, that's Guitar Hero 5 you're thinking about and it's four at once.

The Beatles: Rock Band might not be a gameplay revolution, but it is stylistically the best thing to come out of the music genre since its inception. It completely captures the essence of their music and artistic evolution.

Full Disclosure: I will end by saying that I am a Beatles fan, so take what I say with that in mind.