#1 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
#2 Edited by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Nintendo is being a douche, man.
. . . HOW are they being a douche? Well, here are some reasons.

- Excitebots: Trick Racing has confirmed to not support WiiSpeak, making it possibly the least used peripheral ever. It's been six months since its been released, and the only game to support it is Animal Crossing. I can understand up until now, since there really hasn't been an online multiplayer game all year, but a first party game is being made with online play, and it isn't supporting it. Fucking weak. Why would you not support your peripheral? You'd think every game they released would have support of WiiSpeak/Zapper/Balance Board, just so they could sell more to get more out of your games. Douche move, Nintendo. Along with that . . .

- Nintendo won't release an update allowing you to use WiiSpeak with already released games, like Brawl. Games patch all the time, and the Wii is no different. Recently, World at War for Wii added game modes to its online play. Yeah, it added game modes to the Wii game. Adding WiiSpeak functionality seems perfectly viable, but they just don't want to. This one isn't as big a deal, but still . . . WHY!?!

- Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse is not being released outside of Japan. Why? Well, according to them, they just don't want to. No explanation given, and I'm not the only one pissed off. Gamers looking forward to it aren't the only ones pissed off. TECMO IS PISSED OFF. Yeah, that's right, Nintendo pissed off the developers. They want to bring it over. Nintendo doesn't. Logically, you'd think that Tecmo could cancel their deal with Nintendo and get another publisher, like Capcom or Konami. But, unfortunately, Nintendo won't allow that. Why? because they're being a douche.

- The Conduit no longer supports LAN play. High Voltage said it's because of Nintendo, which I believe. I assume that High Voltage used the same type of setup between Wii's as is used between the Wii and DS to connect them wirelessly. The Wii wasn't built with that in mind, so Nintendo probably made them take it out for abusing the hardware. Okay, fine, but LAN PLAY IS AWESOME. I would have been like, "You got LAN? How'd you do that?" Instead, they went the douche route.

- No new Pokemon Snap for Wii. Just had to say that. Absolutely ridiculous.

So, as you can see, I'm getting very frustrated with Nintendo because of some of their actions. Now, this does not mean I don't like the Wii anymore - I still prefer it to the 360, which used to shock me when I touched it. But, the ability to point out flaws is granted to us by God, and I will do it willingly, especially since Nintendo has been pumping them out like puppies.
#3 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Still fussing over Fatal Frame (without actually knowing details, as both companies blame each other)? It's not the first, and will certainly not be the last game to never be localised, on Wii or other platforms. It just happens to be one you (and I) cared for this time. The rest are minor annoyances, imo. Not many companies provide that kind of added functionality post release. Hope the sequels of those games have it built in. Games on Wii don't use a central infastructure like on XBL for them to simply be updated with voice chat all together, they'd have to do it individually, I think, like on PC (without Steam or GFWL). It's also possible that games have to be made with future patches in mind, and most current Wii games simply aren't. Unless it can be added with that home menu thing that's always available? That'd be kinda cool but I don't know if it's actually possible. If Activision didn't add voice chat to WAW with the patches, well, that's their fault and not Nintendo's, yeah? Maybe it'll be in Modern Warfare 2 and they want it to sell more. Lan play for The Conduit, meh, who cares. I don't. Too bad for those who do.

But, I already can guess which poll option will be the most popular one here (if you wanted objective criticism, why did you add THAT option?).

#4 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

I've been looking forward to Fatal Frame ever since it was announed, man. Also, these things may be minor annoyances, but they're minor annoyances that would be addressed by other people.

Also, no Pokemon Snap is far from a minor annoyance.
#5 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Well there's still a chance Fatal Frame is coming to Europe. There were print ads and GameStop listings and stuff very recently.

#6 Posted by jakob187 (21757 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"Also, no Pokemon Snap is far from a minor annoyance."
I know, right?  It's a damn blessing they aren't releasing another short and pointless game!!!

Fatal Frame not coming to the U.S. does suck ass, as I was really looking forward to it since Suda51 is working on it this time (or at least Grasshopper is).  That's more than just a minor annoyance.

As for the WiiSpeak stuff...given how big of a failure that peripheral is, I don't see why it's that big of a deal.  Also, Alexander is right by saying that most developers don't add support post-release.  It becomes too much of a hassle.

The Conduit not supporting LAN play does kind of suck for those Wii owners who don't have online (which could be more than a few), but the ones that ARE wanting to play multiplayer will more than likely be playing the multiplayer via online than LAN anyways.

So yes, a couple of the things you are talking about (WiiSpeak support and no LAN play) are definitely just minor annoyances that will apply to a very small number of people in the Wii's customer base.

Not getting another game over here because the companies are disagreeing, on the other hand, is some bullshit...and especially when it's one of the games that could appeal to a "core" audience more.
#7 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Well we're getting Cursed Mountain, Silent Hill (with added camera!) and uh, maybe Winter to make up for it. That's something, if any of these titles turn out good. And if Fatal Frame does show up here in Europe, you can import it.

#8 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Also, no Pokemon Snap is far from a minor annoyance."
I know, right?  It's a damn blessing they aren't releasing another short and pointless game!!!

Fatal Frame not coming to the U.S. does suck ass, as I was really looking forward to it since Suda51 is working on it this time (or at least Grasshopper is).  That's more than just a minor annoyance.

As for the WiiSpeak stuff...given how big of a failure that peripheral is, I don't see why it's that big of a deal.  Also, Alexander is right by saying that most developers don't add support post-release.  It becomes too much of a hassle.

The Conduit not supporting LAN play does kind of suck for those Wii owners who don't have online (which could be more than a few), but the ones that ARE wanting to play multiplayer will more than likely be playing the multiplayer via online than LAN anyways.

So yes, a couple of the things you are talking about (WiiSpeak support and no LAN play) are definitely just minor annoyances that will apply to a very small number of people in the Wii's customer base.

Not getting another game over here because the companies are disagreeing, on the other hand, is some bullshit...and especially when it's one of the games that could appeal to a "core" audience more.
"
Hey.

Don't insult Pokemon Snap within eyeshot of me. It won't end well.

From what I've done with it, I actually like WiiSpeak over a normal headset, especially since I recently stepped on my 360 headset. It works pretty well. It just isn't supported in anything.
#9 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

The Conduit supports it.

#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Can Wii games be patched at all?  The internet channel was patched once, but I don't think games can, or can they?  That would tell you why they don't patch Brawl to support WiiSpeak.  I think Nintendo feels their customers don't care about net chat.  I also think Nintendo wants to be family friendly and not open the door to all the problems that come with voice chat.

#11 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Diamond said:
"Can Wii games be patched at all?  The internet channel was patched once, but I don't think games can, or can they?  That would tell you why they don't patch Brawl to support WiiSpeak.  I think Nintendo feels their customers don't care about net chat.  I also think Nintendo wants to be family friendly and not open the door to all the problems that come with voice chat."
Arkthemaniac said:
"Recently, World at War for Wii added game modes to its online play. Yeah, it added game modes to the Wii game. 
Uh, yeah.
#12 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Yet Animal Crossing has voice chat support. And uh, Wii Speak is a first party peripheral. That's kinda counter intuitive. Games can be patched, but they mostly don't. Perhaps it has to be created with patches in mind, and Nintendo games are generally sent out when they're 100% complete and polished, unlike other companies' efforts. WaW was patched but I'm not sure how. There also are many games that use DLC so that probably has similar functions. But, again, all these were probably created with such features in mind from the start. Now that we finally have a storage solution, I'm sure such things will start becoming more prominently featured in Wii games.

#13 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"Yet Animal Crossing has voice chat support. And uh, Wii Speak is a first party peripheral. That's kinda counter intuitive. Games can be patched, but they mostly don't. Perhaps it has to be created with patches in mind, and Nintendo games are generally sent out when they're 100% complete and polished, unlike other corporations... WaW was patched but I'm not sure how. And there are games that use DLC so that probably has similar functions. But again they were probably created with such features in mind. Now that we finally have a storage solution I'm sure such things will start becoming more prominently featured in Wii games."
. . . which I'm fine with.

But why can't they include the support for WiiSpeak now? What if I want to talk to someone after punting their ass off a cliff with my mantis transformer?
#14 Posted by Dalai (7069 posts) -

The only one that could piss me off in the future is the lack of WiiSpeak support.  It's no headset, but WiiSpeak should be used on more and more games, but the only ones I know that support it are Animal Crossing and The Conduit which isn't out yet.  Besides that, the rest don't concern me and my biggest gripe with Nintendo (the storage issue) has been solved.

#15 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Yeah that's kinda wtf. Why hasn't any journalist asked the developers? They've done countless interviews. Oh well, they'll do it for Excitenuts128.

#16 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

I'm glad I didn't buy WiiSpeak...sad to hear about FF IV though.

#17 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

'cus when you make enough money, consumer support is just a thing of the past.

#18 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Lol... I thought he said something I missed about Final Fantasy IV (we're getting the sequel on WiiWare btw).

#19 Posted by Lies (3868 posts) -

You're a bit late to this realization.

But yes, Nintendo has really gravitated away from the hardcore with the Wii.

#20 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Hey, troll, that's not what the fucking topic is about and he's a core gamer that loves the Wii. What the HELL, can't you READ!?!

#21 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

Just because you Squeege over every new nintendo thing, and every thing nintendo Alexander doesn't mean every one else does, These are just some of the reasons why my Wii sat for 9 months without being played and got sold because nintendo doesn't wanna make the fans happy they wanna release the cheapest lowest common denominator so as to make as much money as possible.

#22 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
WilliamRLBaker said:
"Just because you Squeege over every new nintendo thing, and every thing nintendo Alexander doesn't mean every one else does, These are just some of the reasons why my Wii sat for 9 months without being played and got sold because nintendo doesn't wanna make the fans happy they wanna release the cheapest lowest common denominator so as to make as much money as possible."
Don't you mean "splooge"?
#23 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

You're funny as usual ^_^

#24 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I don't think Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii will use Wii Speak either, yet another missed opportunity for the community golfers out there.

#25 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

x(

#26 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

I wish Fatal Frame 4 was coming to America.

#27 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

Nintendo is dead unless they pull something amazing out of their ass this June.

#28 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Claude said:
"I don't think Tiger Woods 10 for the Wii will use Wii Speak either, yet another missed opportunity for the community golfers out there."
Dude, it better.

Golf is half talking. If they want to simulate the experience, it has to be there. I'd expect them to implement it, though. The team in charge of it (Tiburon?) has their heads in the right place when developing on Wii.
#29 Posted by Grady (163 posts) -
Dalai said:
" It's no headset, but WiiSpeak should be used on more and more games, but the only ones I know that support it are Animal Crossing and The Conduit which isn't out yet.  "
About the Conduit, according to the May issue of Game informer the Wiispeak is only available when you play friends so basically you have to use friend codes to talk to people.  So either the magazine has it;s information wrong or they totally screwed the pooch on this one.
#30 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Grady said:
"Dalai said:
" It's no headset, but WiiSpeak should be used on more and more games, but the only ones I know that support it are Animal Crossing and The Conduit which isn't out yet.  "
About the Conduit, according to the May issue of Game informer the Wiispeak is only available when you play friends so basically you have to use friend codes to talk to people.  So either the magazine has it;s information wrong or they totally screwed the pooch on this one."
It's alright. There's enough sources out there for codes for people to play with. Now, it makes sense to put in friend codes for random people rather than just playing random matches.
#31 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

That makes sense. How else would they do it? Just like AC.

#32 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

As big of a fan as I am of Nintendo, it doesn't stop me from questioning some of their decisions.  In fact sometimes, it baffles me.  They are in the driver's seat right now and should make things easier for their customers, not harder.  Not a dealbreaker though, as I am sure MS and Sony would annoy just as much at times.

#33 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

pokemon snap wii would be ruined by the inclusion of all the new pokemons

#34 Posted by existentnighthawk (79 posts) -

Conduits fun actually.

#35 Posted by Milkman (17312 posts) -

Voted "Wii sux lol" just so I can see Al3xand3r cry.

#36 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Must say that I am pretty dumbfounded that they have not jammed Wii speak support in all the games that came out after animal crossing not even in a limited way (friend codes needed to talk)

crunchUK
said:
"pokemon snap wii would be ruined by the inclusion of all the new pokemons"
... there is going to be a new pokemon snap?
#37 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Must say that I am pretty dumbfounded that they have not jammed Wii speak support in all the games that came out after animal crossing not even in a limited way (friend codes needed to talk)

crunchUK
said:
... there is going to be a new pokemon snap?"
**would**
#38 Posted by JJOR64 (19065 posts) -

They should make a Pokemon Snap game for DSi.

#39 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
crunchUK said:
"Endogene said:
"Must say that I am pretty dumbfounded that they have not jammed Wii speak support in all the games that came out after animal crossing not even in a limited way (friend codes needed to talk)

crunchUK
said:
**would**"
bye bye hopes and dreams...
#40 Posted by inkeiren (989 posts) -

I know it has probably been said before, but I don't imagine super casual gamers sticking with nintendo for years. I think the wii, for super casual gamers, is a fad. I think casual gamers will play games on PC due to it's availability and the fact that they don't have to buy a console.

I think losing a lot of their hardcore audience will become a major problem for them financially.

#41 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

I want a new Pokemon Snap. I don't care if all the new  pokemon are in the game or what system.

JJOR64 said:
"They should make a Pokemon Snap game for DSi."
Sure. I'd buy that.
#42 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
Endogene said:
"crunchUK said:
"Endogene said:

crunchUK
said:
**would**"
bye bye hopes and dreams..."
It would have to have more safari and less track for me to be interested anyway.