What the hell happened to 'The Behemoth' Studios?

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gamerpigeon

What the hell happened to 'The Behemoth' Studios?

Castle Crashers was a huge seller and received well critically since then they have only brought out two games on iOS.

BattleBlock Theatre was announced 4 years ago almost and the last trailer is almost 3 years old. They seemed like a really promising studio after titles like Alien Hominid and the aforementioned Castle Crashers.

What the hell happened?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They've been working on BattleBlock. I'm pretty sure they've showed it off more recently than three years ago. Like at PAX and stuff.

Also, they released Castle Crashers on PC last year.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343

Every time I've seen BattleBlock, I'm just completely unimpressed. It seems well put together, but the core design just doesn't seem like it lends itself to something fun or meaningful.

Here's to hoping that they've gone back to the drawing board.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By bluefish

Maybe they realized platformers aren't "where it's at" and are tearing their hair out trying to make it something people gravitate to.

Or maybe they taking a Popcap approach, make a few great games, spend most of your time porting them to everything under the sun and every few years make something new and great.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uhtaree

Oh, is this that one thats "always at PAX and nowhere else" according to the bombcast?

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By BigBoss1911

Battlerock looks like a bland browser sidescroller. Alien Hominid is a classic but holy shit is Castlecrashers hard.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By jadegl

It was at Pax East in 2010 and 2011, it may have been at their booth in 2012 but I didn't play it.

I played it in 2010 and was not super impressed by it. I can't remember if I tried it again in 2011.

So yeah, it's been on the floor and playable. But I didn't find it very interesting which was super disappointing since I love Castle Crashers.

logicfracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By logicfracture

@GenocidalKitten said:

I think they should have just made a Castle Crashers 2 if nothing else it would at least sell pretty well for them.

The stuff that they are currently working on just doesn't interest me very much.

Totally, if they had any sense at all they would make a sequel to Castle Crashers. They'd make a killing.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By I_smell

Well Castle Crashers took 3 years, and then they had to port it to the PS3 and Steam.
BattleBlock has over 450 levels, according to their site. It's in closed beta right now, and has gone through ESRB.

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By StealthRaptor

They said shortly after the release of Castle Crashers that they weren't interested in a sequel because they wanted to keep making interesting and original games. I just wish they'd put out something.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uhtaree

Just listened to the segment of the bombcast where they are making fun of this and Firefall being perennial fixtures at PAX. I need to make it to a PAX to see these games before they come out.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@project343 said:

Every time I've seen BattleBlock, I'm just completely unimpressed. It seems well put together, but the core design just doesn't seem like it lends itself to something fun or meaningful.

Here's to hoping that they've gone back to the drawing board.

Personally I think it looks very good but at the same time.. not sure why it would take this long to make.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#14  Edited By vigorousjammer

I agree that Battleblock's gameplay looks like the least interesting part of it. 
The art and sound design both look much better, but that can only take a game so far. 

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I get a chance to play it, however... maybe it's actually really fun?

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well stone me a month later and they give it a release date for Battleblock Theatre. Still should be interesting to see why this thing took so long

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

well stone me a month later and they give it a release date for Battleblock Theatre. Still should be interesting to see why this thing took so long

They were waiting for someone to mention it. :P