#1 Posted by CouncilorChief (85 posts) -

I keep hearing about /v/ recently, and even during the ME3 ending controversy. I don't know what the hell it is, so if you don't mind me asking, what's /v/?

#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Google.

#3 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1068 posts) -

The section of 4chan dedicated to video game discussions.

#4 Edited by Benny (1955 posts) -

The 4chan video game board. Stay well clear.

Edit: I feel this can be locked now since this thread can only become a place to spew nonsense about how much people hate 4chan

#5 Posted by Skyfire543 (819 posts) -

/v/ is the Video Games board on 4chan. Don't go there.

#6 Posted by Animasta (14746 posts) -

just imagine the worst video game discussion board you know and times that by 2. It's really rather terrible

#7 Posted by CouncilorChief (85 posts) -

Oh yeah, now I remember. Didn't they instigate the Jennifer Hepler and Anita Sarkeesian controversy?

#8 Posted by Fallen189 (5066 posts) -
@Animasta said:

just imagine the worst video game discussion board you know and times that by 2. It's really rather terrible

Urgh
#9 Posted by Kaiserreich (769 posts) -

@CouncilorChief: No that was Reddit.

#10 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

@Animasta said:

just imagine the worst video game discussion board you know and times that by 2. It's really rather terrible

#11 Posted by Animasta (14746 posts) -

@Kaiserreich said:

@CouncilorChief: No that was Reddit.

kinda one in the same when it comes to stuff like this.

#12 Posted by CouncilorChief (85 posts) -

@Kaiserreich said:

@CouncilorChief: No that was Reddit.

That's just what I've heard, I tend to stay clear from both 4chan and reddit.

#13 Posted by InsidiousTuna (450 posts) -

Reddit with even less accountability.

Funny. When explaining Reddit, I say 4chan, but with usernames, and somehow just as terrible.

#14 Posted by ThePickle (4178 posts) -

@InsidiousTuna said:

Reddit with even less accountability.

Funny. When explaining Reddit, I say 4chan, but with usernames, and somehow just as terrible.

Reddit is far, far, far worse than 4chan.

#15 Posted by CouncilorChief (85 posts) -

Isn't there some kind of feud between reddit and 4chan's /v/?

#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10346 posts) -

@CouncilorChief said:

@Kaiserreich said:

@CouncilorChief: No that was Reddit.

That's just what I've heard, I tend to stay clear from both 4chan and reddit.

Sounds like you have this whole web thing figured out. That's a good plan right there.

#17 Posted by Kaiserreich (769 posts) -

@CouncilorChief: No, they both have pretty much the same userbase

#18 Posted by CouncilorChief (85 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@CouncilorChief said:

@Kaiserreich said:

@CouncilorChief: No that was Reddit.

That's just what I've heard, I tend to stay clear from both 4chan and reddit.

Sounds like you have this whole web thing figured out. That's a good plan right there.

I dunno its just that I've recently discovered these websites have been more vocal lately that they've ever been. I didn't realize reddit existed until January of this year, and 4chan... I've knew about their infamous reputation for a long time but I kept my nose out of it. But I see there's some type of feud between them.

I saw a video by a 4chan user rant about reddit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LmjiTduSe0

Not sure how I feel about this video. On one hand, I agree reddit memes are generally unfunny and trite. But I can say the same thing about 4chan.

#19 Posted by peachesrcool (78 posts) -

/v/ is the lowests lows of the video game community, but sometimes you'll see it become the highest high and once you do, you're there forever hoping for another great thread. If you must browse it use this link http://catalog.neet.tv/v/ or check out /vg/ http://catalog.neet.tv/vg/

#20 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it's the video game board on 4chan.

#21 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2690 posts) -

@CouncilorChief: I'm pretty sure there is, yeah.

#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14433 posts) -

@CouncilorChief: It's the internet. Everything about it is dumb memes and porn. Enjoy the parts you enjoy and don't waste your time getting involved in idiots moaning about who has the bigger e-penis, or why thing A is better then thing B. There will always be someone out there who thinks thing A is for stupid people while thing B is for the elite and has nothing better to do then sit in front of a computer to tell you why it's better.

#23 Posted by ch3burashka (5310 posts) -

I'm not sure how you don't know about /v/, but know to spell it correctly. I call troll.

#24 Posted by Kaiserhawk (62 posts) -

/v/ - The Vidya is the video game section of 4chan. Not as bad a place as most people make it out to be, but not good either.

fun is anathema, all games are terrible.

/vg/ Vidya General, however, is a good place to talk about certain games.

#25 Posted by Amerist (58 posts) -

@Skyfire543 said:

/v/ is the Video Games board on 4chan. Don't go there.

This is my most common "ending phrase" anytime I mention 4chan. In fact, it's rather like planting a sign to warn someone away from shark infested waters or even an Internet cliff. ξ

#26 Posted by BrainSonata (104 posts) -

/v/ an emoticon for an upside down lady who is naked with wonky legs, v for vagina of course.

#27 Posted by AssInAss (2800 posts) -

@CouncilorChief said:

@MikkaQ said:

@CouncilorChief said:

@Kaiserreich said:

@CouncilorChief: No that was Reddit.

That's just what I've heard, I tend to stay clear from both 4chan and reddit.

Sounds like you have this whole web thing figured out. That's a good plan right there.

I dunno its just that I've recently discovered these websites have been more vocal lately that they've ever been. I didn't realize reddit existed until January of this year, and 4chan... I've knew about their infamous reputation for a long time but I kept my nose out of it. But I see there's some type of feud between them.

I saw a video by a 4chan user rant about reddit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LmjiTduSe0

Not sure how I feel about this video. On one hand, I agree reddit memes are generally unfunny and trite. But I can say the same thing about 4chan.

Can people please stop posting ForeverPandering videos? Jesus christ are they awful and tediously hate-filled to the same chorus of Amazing Atheist.

#28 Posted by Dexter_Morgan_ (313 posts) -

@Skyfire543 said:

Don't go there.

#29 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

If you see my mom there, tell her to fucking stay. We're good.

#30 Posted by Wes899 (2134 posts) -

How many people that say "Don't go there" actually have been there before? 4chan as a whole really isn't that bad.

#31 Edited by CouncilorChief (85 posts) -

@AssInAss said:

@CouncilorChief said:

@MikkaQ said:

@CouncilorChief said:

@Kaiserreich said:

@CouncilorChief: No that was Reddit.

That's just what I've heard, I tend to stay clear from both 4chan and reddit.

Sounds like you have this whole web thing figured out. That's a good plan right there.

I dunno its just that I've recently discovered these websites have been more vocal lately that they've ever been. I didn't realize reddit existed until January of this year, and 4chan... I've knew about their infamous reputation for a long time but I kept my nose out of it. But I see there's some type of feud between them.

I saw a video by a 4chan user rant about reddit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LmjiTduSe0

Not sure how I feel about this video. On one hand, I agree reddit memes are generally unfunny and trite. But I can say the same thing about 4chan.

Can people please stop posting ForeverPandering videos? Jesus christ are they awful and tediously hate-filled to the same chorus of Amazing Atheist.

I have to agree that he's a hate monger, but I do agree with him on some things. Like the issue with Sarkeesian and Katawa Shoujo is great. Other than that he's just an ass who's not as funny as he thinks he is. Just like TAA.

EDIT: That and iJustine is a fucking retard. Even though he rationally criticized Anita Sarkeesian I bet he would justify and defend 4chan's hateful comments towards Anita Sarkeesian. I hate Anita Sarkeesian with a passion but creating hateful comments and a flash game that allows you to punch her senselessly goes way too far. But then again so does arresting a guy for making a stupid game was unnecessary.

#32 Posted by Kaiserhawk (62 posts) -

@AssInAss: You could always...I dunno, ignore them?

#33 Posted by NathHaw (2810 posts) -

Rather than let everybody tell you how bad it is, you should go and check it out for yourself. Don't necessarily shut it out.

#34 Posted by Animasta (14746 posts) -

@Wes899 said:

How many people that say "Don't go there" actually have been there before? 4chan as a whole really isn't that bad.

to be fair, /v/ is pretty bad. I think that there's a correlation between how big a place is and how bad it is; surely works for reddit as well.

#35 Posted by Lobster_Ear (286 posts) -

Can people stop pretending 4chan and reddit are the worst places in the world? Sure there's some fucked up shit there but there are also funny and interesting discussions once in awhile. I don't know, maybe I've just been desensitized by 4chan, but my mind seems to just subconsciously block out the really bad stuff there.

#36 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -
#37 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

A wonderful place which you should google and visit.

#38 Posted by gesi1223 (224 posts) -

Honestly I think /v/ and couple other boards on 4chan are a much better place to visit than these forums. I just have more fun.

The people saying the boards are bad probably haven't been there long enough to see when 4chan can have decent discussions and entertaining threads. Either that, or they probably got trolled and couldn't take it anymore.

#39 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

@CouncilorChief said:

Isn't there some kind of feud between reddit and 4chan's /v/?

4chan as a whole hates Reddit, and Reddit as a whole hates 4chan. The meme culture is practically indistinguishable though.

#40 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@CH3BURASHKA said:

I'm not sure how you don't know about /v/, but know to spell it correctly. I call troll.

Saw it referenced in a message/post that didn't explain it? I see people just through "/v/" into posts a lot without any explanation at all.

@gesi1223 said:

Honestly I think /v/ and couple other boards on 4chan are a much better place to visit than these forums. I just have more fun.

The people saying the boards are bad probably haven't been there long enough to see when 4chan can have decent discussions and entertaining threads. Either that, or they probably got trolled and couldn't take it anymore.

Or maybe they just don't like engaging in silly childish games to get some kid off on a fake power rush? Gotta love it when being trolled and not putting up with a culture and community notorious for being borderline obsessive of it is "not being able to take it anymore." Trolling is dumb, and often an annoying waste of time for all involved. Not wanting to put up with it is a pretty reasonable reason to stay away from 4chan in general. Among a million other things.

@LiquidSwords: Those all seem like rookie duders to me, interestingly. Well not all of them but like a third of them. Which granted like 2 or 3 of em, but still.

#41 Posted by gesi1223 (224 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@gesi1223 said:

Honestly I think /v/ and couple other boards on 4chan are a much better place to visit than these forums. I just have more fun.

The people saying the boards are bad probably haven't been there long enough to see when 4chan can have decent discussions and entertaining threads. Either that, or they probably got trolled and couldn't take it anymore.

Or maybe they just don't like engaging in silly childish games to get some kid off on a fake power rush? Gotta love it when being trolled and not putting up with a culture and community notorious for being borderline obsessive of it is "not being able to take it anymore." Trolling is dumb, and often an annoying waste of time for all involved. Not wanting to put up with it is a pretty reasonable reason to stay away from 4chan in general. Among a million other things.

Branding 4chan as a whole as a bad thing just because some people are assholes wouldn't be any different than saying these boards are a terrible place and no one should ever visit them just because some of the users are assholes. No one said anyone had to put up with the trolling, but to brand the entire place as if that's all there is and to visit the place is like planning a horrible day. Just completely hypocritical.

Trolling is everywhere on the internet, pal. You may associate it with 4chan the most, because of what you've heard, but it really isn't any different on any public forum that allows 'children' to run around posting for free.

#42 Posted by Bell_End (1203 posts) -

@Animasta said:

just imagine the worst video game discussion board you know and times that by 2. It's really rather terrible

worse than system wars on gamespot?

#43 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

#44 Posted by shadowdrone (71 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

@Animasta said:

just imagine the worst video game discussion board you know and times that by 2. It's really rather terrible

worse than system wars on gamespot?

It still exists. WHY DOES IT STILL EXIST??

#45 Posted by jerseyscum (964 posts) -

It's better than NeoGAF. At least you know going in that everyone's a fucking moron.

#46 Posted by Jimmi (168 posts) -

@shadowdrone said:

@Bell_End said:

@Animasta said:

just imagine the worst video game discussion board you know and times that by 2. It's really rather terrible

worse than system wars on gamespot?

It still exists. WHY DOES IT STILL EXIST??

Because it's massively popular. People like to argue about bullshit on the internet, so why not give them a place to do it where you profit from their anguished clicks?

#47 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

I heard it's a secret board on 9gag

#48 Posted by Mageman (349 posts) -

I hate sounding like a hipster but /v/ is probably pretty bad now, it was pretty good in 07/08 imho, a totally different user base practically.

Still not as bad as reddit though, most likely.

#49 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -
@Animasta said:

just imagine the worst video game discussion board you know and times that by 2. It's really rather terrible

No this isn't a thread about Reddit.   
 
edit...beaten. damn. 
#50 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Once upon a time there was a little letter named v. v was always bullied at school for being so tiny by the much bigger letters in the playground like w. I mean look at him, he's like two of v's combined. So, sick of being bullied little v went over to the nunchuk school of kicking ass where he acquired a pair of nunchuks. So he evolved into /v/. /v/ kicked w's ass so hard that he became the apex predator of the playground and established an absolute monarchy on the playground where all the little letters had to pay a feudal tax in order to swing on the swings and so he became rich.

That is the story of /v/.