• 97 results
Posted by Fobwashed (1614 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

What tier of video card do you currently use? (304 votes)

Radeon 7000 Series 12%
Radeon 6000 Series 15%
Radeon 5000 Series 7%
Radeon 4000 Series 2%
Radeon 3000 Series 0%
GeForce 600 Series 23%
GeForce 500 Series 24%
GeForce 400 Series 10%
GeForce 200 Series 3%
Older or Integrated On-Board Video 5%
SLI / CrossFireX 4%
Purchase console version of games when available 3%
Purchase PC version of games when available 18%

If you could please put down what card you're currently running and comment on how well games seem to run on your systems, that'd be awesome =) Trying to figure out what the average range of cards is at this point in time among other gamers.

My card is a GTX 560 Ti that I purchased a few years back and has been running everything swimmingly at high settings (minus the high end of those Anti-Aliasing like settings) until just recently. SimCity of all things causes my system to chug a bit so I'm thinking it may be time for an upgrade and looking online, my card might sorta be old at this point in the game. Wondering what the rest of the community is running on, and whether I should upgrade to just a higher 500 series or wait a bit and make the jump to the 600 series once they drop in price.

#51 Edited by Monkeyman04 (834 posts) -

I'm rocking a 560 Ti as well. It seems to do the job just fine at 1920x1080.

#52 Posted by Kazona (3055 posts) -

I have a 6870 and it runs most games on their highest setting with some slight tweaking here and there. Granted, almost all of those games are well over a year old and sometimes older and I haven't really tried any current games with it...

You know what, now I'm curious. I'm going to try out some demos of current games, see how they far and then report back.

#53 Posted by MannyCalavera (105 posts) -

I have a GTX580 from EVGA, and i'm happy with it. Bought it in August of 2011 when i bought my gaming pc, and until now, it can run everything in high settings without problems.

#54 Posted by Teoball (528 posts) -

I'm running a GTX680 and I haven't run into any game where I couldn't max everything out yet. (haven't tried Crysis 3 or SimCity)

#55 Edited by Canteu (2814 posts) -

GTX 450. Still doing me right. Somehow can still run most new games on high at 1920x1080.

#56 Posted by masterpaperlink (1823 posts) -

7950, wondering about its longevity now.

#57 Posted by HarlechQuinn (438 posts) -

GTX 580. Most of the stuff is running fine on high or very high settings. On ultra settings you have to make some cut backs.

#58 Posted by believer258 (11035 posts) -

HD7870.

Which will probably be fine, but I will probably have to get one later next year.

#59 Edited by EpicSteve (6433 posts) -

#60 Posted by Sumbog (477 posts) -

GTX 570, most games run great, but some DX11 games crash a lot.

#61 Posted by squiDc00kiE (340 posts) -

I've got dual EVGA 670 FTW's. It can run Crysis 3 at 1920x1080 (Im usually at 2560x1440) on max settings at 40-50fps. BF3 runs max settings in 2560x1440 at 60fps EASY.

#62 Posted by amir90 (2134 posts) -

I am currently using the 6950, MSI Windforce version I think.

It runs most games out there really, really well. I haven't found a game it cannot run on high or max on a 1920x1200 resolution. THe only thing it suffers from, is that AA is a bit demanding, but I am happy with the way it is. It stays cool as well, it is basically an upgraded version of my old 4870x2, which was like an airplane in my room. If I am going to upgrade something in the future, it would be my old processor, i7 920.

#63 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

Also have the GTX 560 Ti and it runs games just fine although I think my processor is holding me back. I still have an Intel Core2. :(

#64 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

There is no TERRIBLE option

#65 Posted by Alekss (327 posts) -

I only use tier one videocards. Biggest beards motherfukers.

#66 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

GTX 570 and I want to upgrade but... it's not time.

#67 Posted by LassieME (224 posts) -

I just recently upgraded from a GTX 460 to a GTX 680 with 4GB video memory after I experienced chugging in BF3 and Sleeping Dogs.

#68 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1854 posts) -

SAPPHIRE 6850 right now. Waiting to upgrade after the final specs for next gen consoles are released. Probably going to just jump to the 700 line when it drops, since I bought the 6850 as a quick fix anyways.

Using a 1600x900 monitor means I can get totally playable fps (40+) on medium-high with some some stuff knocked back a bit, so jumping a series will (likely) give huge dividends but is probably a little overkill for my low resolution. I'd rather beef the system up before getting a monitor that I would only have need for the extra space for gaming... then again, having two monitors would be quite useful. Now I'm rambling so... yeah.

#69 Posted by Andorski (5107 posts) -

Currently a GTX 570. Been wanting to do an ITX build though and get the HD 7970 or GTX 680 (depending on the price when I decide to dive in). Going to wait for Haswell to come out first though.

#70 Posted by JTB123 (1045 posts) -

Still on a GTX260 at the mo, can't wait to get my new PC though. Only a little over a week now :)

#71 Posted by MikeJFlick (423 posts) -

GTX460femi

Planning on upgrading soon, but currently I run BF3, Crysis 2 and most other higher-tier games on high settings with high resolution, but it's without a doubt starting to show it's age.

#72 Edited by Seppli (9730 posts) -

I'm running a single first generation DX11 high end gfx card - a Radeon 5870 HD. Done me a more than solid service thus far. Not gonna upgrade my PC for a couple of years, unless some component shits a brick.

The PS4 will have my high end gaming needs covered for awhile. Looking forward to playing competitive online games in a closed environment again. Had my fill of cheaters and hack-u-sations and that general atmosphere of distrust prevalent in the PC gaming community.

About 3 years from now, I'll build a new PC from the ground up. That's going to be a first.

#73 Posted by nnotdead (82 posts) -

560ti. might try to sli another one soon. just waiting on my mobo to come back from Asus. it died and was still under warranty.

#74 Posted by Fattony12000 (6350 posts) -

I've been using a single MSI Twin Frozr III GTX 570 since September 2011. I'll stick with it for at least a couple more years, it's treated me well so far. Hopefully, by then, Titans should be a little bit cheaper!

#75 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -

660 Ti. More importantly, I need to upgrade my CPU. "Rocking" a first generation Core i3 at the moment. It's not very good for rendering After Effects projects, that's for sure.

#76 Posted by Superfriend (1457 posts) -

Radeon 7950.

It kinda sucks, random framedrops in pretty much every game. Well, the newer DirectX 11 stuff runs okay, but the older DX10 and 9 stuff, whew- like a fart in a bottle. My old GTX460 was superior to this thing in a lot of ways. Not quite enough horsepower for a game like Farcry 3 though.

#77 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

I have a Vostro 3450 Laptop with two cards I can switch between:

1. Intel HD Graphics chipset
  2. Radeon 6630 HD (Mobile version)

Unfortunately, the Vostro 3450 requires a BIOS update to fully utilize the Radeon card at all- and even then it becomes very unreliable in another way.

As far as I can tell, Its drivers suck- real bad. So badly- they outright fail/crash on a pretty regular basis when in use, sometimes going so far as to blue-screen the whole system. -_- (And they can't be updated any further- so I have already exhausted my options for fixing them. >:( )

Its really weird too, cause there are a few rare demanding games that the drivers never fail with, mostly unreal engine games such as Smite and Hawken. Outside of those, with more demanding games fullscreened, it can take less than an hour to fail. Windowed, it can last up to 3 hours tops.

So I use the Intel HD card a LOT more often- and it honestly isn't as bad as you'd think. :P

#78 Posted by Optix12 (571 posts) -

Currently on a 660 which seems to run everything nicely maxed out (i bet i will have alot of trouble with crysis 3 though) so I dont plan on changing for quite a while. As people have said hopefully when Titan comes out the 670/680 gets a reduction

#79 Edited by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

My old-ass 4850 is still banging on. Runs most PC games on conservative settings at 1920x1080. I can run pretty much every console port on high settings so I haven't really been that keen to upgrade it yet.

#80 Posted by Grilledcheez (3919 posts) -

I still have a 460 gtx, which is running fine for most games, Far Cry 3 was the only one with less than ideal performance...will most likely upgrade later this year.

#81 Posted by Cameron (594 posts) -

I just built a new PC and I went with a GTX 660. It seems to be the sweet spot between performance and cost. The Radeon 7850 and 7870 seem like solid choices as well, but I've liked my Nvidia cards in the past so I thought I'd stick with what I know.

#82 Posted by Sanity (1852 posts) -

Running a 6970 at 1080p, can run basically everything at max still.

#83 Posted by Sinusoidal (1152 posts) -

8600 GT. The most demanding things I've thrown at it are probably Bioshock, Mass Effect and Fallout 3, and they all worked just fine on my 1280x1024 monitor.

#84 Edited by me3639 (1607 posts) -

I have the radeon 6950 that i bought maybe a year or 2 ago for my new PC build, but never got around to it. Actually didnt even put it in my current PC until a few months ago. Im going to rebuild soon, but not playing anything that is struggling at max frames/ 1080p resolution. Except Metro2033, and Witcher 2.

#85 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1680 posts) -

I Just dropped a 7970 GHz into my PC, upgrading it from the 6670. The things a monster

#86 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

Nvidia 580 3gb. Play on a single Sony fw900 monitor which is a high end wide screen CRT. I play in 2304X1440 resolution and most games will run with all video options maxed at 40 fps or higher. Since I only have a single monitor the 3gb might be over kill in the RAM department, but I wanted to future proof my rig some. My CPU is getting old, it's a i7 quad core 2.6ghz, and I have 6gb system RAM.This 580 was an upgrade from HD4850. Most radical upgrade I have ever done. Night and day as far as running games. I had to compromise all my games under the 4850, this 580 runs PC games like they were meant to be!

#87 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (395 posts) -

580 and it's been pretty reliable with current gen games on my 1680x1050. I can get most games looking real nice (with only a few things not turned all the way up) and running generally around 50-60fps with little to no fuss.

I imagine in about a year from now I'll need to upgrade, possibly sooner with new consoles on the horizon and the general standards for graphics going increasing with them.

I bought the 580 back when it was still the beefiest single-gpu card you could get and I'll likely do the same with my next card. With Nvidia releasing both the 690 and the Titan in the last few months, I imagine we are not that far off from seeing the first 700 series cards drop so by the time I'm ready to upgrade again it's likely my next card will be a 780.

#88 Posted by PillClinton (3284 posts) -

Rockin' a 660 Ti right now, which is generally pretty great at 1080p. When I upgrade to a 2560x1440/1600 monitor in the near-ish future, definitely gonna beef up a bit in that area.

Also, I don't like how polls don't just tell you the top choice right up front now. Reading percentages is fine for a poll with 3 or so choices, but much more than that and it's kind of annoying.

#89 Posted by OmegaPirate (5518 posts) -

GTX 570 classified evga

Handles pretty much everything nice and easily until i hit the massive massive 16xcqaa bullshit. and even that is easily achievable by steam big picture mode, disabling the AA and then downsampling the resolution for the games.

#90 Posted by Scrawnto (2406 posts) -

GTX 560 (Not the TI. In retrospect, I probably should have gotten that one.) and it seems to run just about everything fine, so long as I don't blast the AA and tessellation up. I'll probably upgrade to a 670 or thereabouts whenever I get around to upgrading to a 30" monitor with a resolution higher than 1080p, but the 560 is plenty for a while yet.

#92 Posted by cloudnineboya (691 posts) -

gtx 560ti have to drop AA+shadows mostly and have it high+full so games like the witcher2 look amazing and run smooth,been looking at 660 or 660ti for when the witcher3 comes out or a hd 7850 but not sure how AMD cards perform on Intel hardware would go for a 660ti but they are so fucking expensive at the moment for that card range

#93 Posted by PerryVandell (2100 posts) -

Currently using an Nvidia GTX 470. I can still run most current games on Very High/High, though I sometimes have to turn off some bells and whistles to maintain a smooth frame rate.

#94 Posted by shinboy630 (1116 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

I got a 670 slightly overclocked to 1150mhz. I can max out pretty much anything I want at 2048x1152. Was originally thinking of getting a 680, but I got this card for $280 AR and overclocked it's almost as good as a 680 anyway.

The 670 is the one I'm currently eyeballin'. Where'd you get so cheap for? Best I can find is around $350 -_-;;

It's a reference model from PNY that I got off of amazon. This was like 2 days after Christmas, which may explain why it was so cheap.

#95 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4281 posts) -

@branthog said:

I run triple GTX 670s (the superclocked 4gb version -- not because of the overclocking, but the double VRAM). I play games almost entirely at 2560x1600 with everything maxed out and rarely run into situations where I can't maintain well above 60fps (and if that happens, it's usually shitty optimization, like the PC version of NFS: Most Wanted).

For most people who are not a little nuts and impulsive like I am, I would suggest they go for a single 670 or 680 and save the $1,000 for the other two cards and put it toward a brand new system another two years down the road.

Have you tried Crysis 3 yet?

#96 Posted by big_jon (5657 posts) -

Xbox 360.

#97 Posted by Daveyo520 (6597 posts) -

I have a 7850 myself. It seems to do the job just fine.

#98 Edited by myketuna (1631 posts) -

I have a 570 in the PC I built last May. Runs great. I game at 1920x1080, but I turn almost everything else in games off. No AA, hate motion blur, anisotropic filtering to the lowest (x2 usually), and no VSync. Been able to run everything at my own "max" at ~60fps. Haven't played The Witcher 2 (though I own it), but I'm sure I can manage with this card a little while longer.

I'll probably upgrade next year if things get crazy on PC with the new consoles out and give this one to my brother who plays on a smaller monitor (1680x1050) and it should last quite some time since he usually runs medium settings.

#99 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

mines a very old one. i think it's a nvidia 8900. i just need a whole new computer for games. i plan on getting a new computer sooner or later.