What TV Preset mode do you use for your games adn HDTV viewing?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Im lookinga t the different preset modes (Dynamic, Standard, Movie, and Custom) and I really dont know which one is best for HD Gaming and viewing. Obviously, ill adjust it once I pick waht mode, but the modes all do something different even after calibration. Movie makes things darker and sorta greener, Dynamic is brighter, Standard is average, and Custom (I assume) is what you want and holds no picture changing attributes itself. I heard people say use Movie, but it makes things darker. Is that really best for Gaming?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

I use custom. Because I am really good at making it look perfect. Those pre-set settings always have the color wayyyyy to high.  
All you have to do is turn on a sports game like baseball and look at the grass and the hats etc.  
but yeah i get extremely picky with it takes me about an hour until im satisfied. 

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Vonocourt
@TwoOneFive: 

Yep, pre-sets are usually crap.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ravensword
@TwoOneFive:

Would it make a difference if I calibrate using Standard, or Custom. Would cutom be better if Im going to tweak it myself using a THX Optimizer?
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Custom, sometimes if I know I have been adjusting it too much, I pop my Halo 3 bonus disc in to use the optimization video. 

Sounds kinda stupid but it really works well with my LCD

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike
@Raven_Sword said:
" @TwoOneFive: Would it make a difference if I calibrate using Standard, or Custom. Would cutom be better if Im going to tweak it myself using a THX Optimizer? "
It wouldn't matter because you're going to be changing all of those settings anyway...they're presets. Once you change one thing, they're no longer a preset and are custom.
sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@MB: This.... more or less. 

EDIT nice tool-ish avatar by the way ;)
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

I usually go custom, but I might switch it to movie once in a while.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ravensword

Well, after my attempt of Calibration with the THX Optimizer found on my T 2 Bluray (I think I did it right) I ended up with  

Contrast: 77  
Brighness: 40  
Sharpness: 35  
Color: 48  

Tint: G 52/R50  (this I had trouble with because the THX Optimizer said to make the maron and Cyan colors on the Test pattern look like true Maroon and Cyan, but i wasnt sure what they truely look like. So I got something that was purpelish)

Color Tone: Warm 1. (I have two Warm settings, Warm 1 and warm 2. People say to sue warm because its closer to the Kelvin color standard or something like that, but I dont know if they mean Warm 1 or Warm 2.)  

I dont think it was radically that different from the Default Standard Preset.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#10  Edited By citizenkane

I don't know anything about TVs, so I think I just have it on standard.

gold_n_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By gold_n_eye

My tv already has a preset mode called "game". I usually turn that on when I play video games because the colors are rich and bright. If I watch a movie, I just turn it to "movie", although I find that mode to be dark if I watch a movie during the day. Hope you found a preset that works with your tv!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike
@CitizenKane said:
" I don't know anything about TVs, so I think I just have it on standard. "
Too bright dude. Presets are designed to make TV's look good on the showroom floor under all those bright lights. Grab or borrow a DVD with the THX calibration tool included like a Star Wars or Pixar flick and follow the instructions. It will seem too dark at first but you'll thank yourself later.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By citizenkane
@MB: I have WALL-E on Blu-Ray.  Will that work?
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ravensword
@MB:

Funny, I did mine, and I dont think it was that much darker. Contrast was set kinda at where the preset had it (preset had it at 80, I have it at 77). and brightness was at like over 50, but I put it down to 40.)  But again, not sure If I did it right.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond

I use a mode called Pro on my HDTV, plus I went into service mode and tweaked a lot of stuff.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mike
@CitizenKane said:
" @MB: I have WALL-E on Blu-Ray.  Will that work? "
Yeah that's good, it has the THX tool on there.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By citizenkane
@MB said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" @MB: I have WALL-E on Blu-Ray.  Will that work? "
Yeah that's good, it has the THX tool on there. "
Alright.  I'll do this tomorrow morning.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ravensword

I did it like this. I set contrast high enough to where the whites were as bright as they could be without them losing that divider line thats seperating  the different shades. also, I set brightness low enough to where that 8th black square they had was barely noticeable.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By Keyser_Soze

I recently bought a new LG 1080p HDTV, 2009 model, bought it specifically because the colours were meant to be great on it and the fact that it has a fast response time and one of the lowest input lag on any HDTV and it looks fantastic, and never once have I felt any input lag whatsoever.

I have a variety of AV modes to choose from and they do alter the picture but I prefer to keep it on "Normal" for everything, basically factory default. The Game mode on my TV is  very good though, although it lowers the contrast and brightness it actually smooths out jaggies, it looks like 4xAA has been applied to the picture, tested this with Battlefield 1943 which has a few jaggies, almost all are gone whens switched to Game mode. Some sort of internal picture processing. The great thing about it though is that it does not increase response time or input lag. FANTASTIC.