#1 Posted by TheAdmin (715 posts) -
#2 Posted by TheAdmin (715 posts) -

Personally, I'd like to see more coverage of games that won't be reviewed by 100 other places. I thought it was awesome that FTL got the coverage it got and was the reason I learned about it. Jeff always says that he does reviews and content for the users, but I was curious if people liked that most of the current reviews are for high profile type games. Even if they don't officially review it, I love QLs of those mid-tier or downloaded games.

#3 Posted by fisher81 (535 posts) -

Quick Looks of B-Games.

#4 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Everything!

#5 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

sonic games

#6 Edited by SadPatrol (502 posts) -

Video reviews.

#7 Posted by MALACHE (22 posts) -

@SadPatrol said:

Video reviews.

Agreed! I understand that these are a little more of a pain in the ass to do, but the reason I came to Giant Bomb is because I followed all of the personalities (Jeff, Ryan, Brad etc) from the old Gamespot days.

#8 Posted by Aronman789 (2671 posts) -

Nintendownloads.

#9 Posted by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

Vita games, but I know why they can't cover them.

#10 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2293 posts) -

I think I'd like to see Giant Bomb review more Steam games. They can still review AAA games but I want to see Steam games get reviewed as that store is constantly updated with new games and it would be informative to have a short review so I know which newcomers are worth purchasing.

#11 Posted by 71Ranchero (2827 posts) -

D. I would like them to only do Quick Looks of bad games or old games.

#12 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -
#13 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Love video reviews, hopefully they'll come back.

#14 Posted by Ravelle (1404 posts) -

Would love to see coverage of games that go under the radar like some indie games or old forgotten games, also more frequent random video game.

#15 Posted by Tesla (1944 posts) -

I would love to see more of old, bad, or weird games that I would otherwise not experience.

I play high profile, Steam, and other downloadable games. I of course expect some coverage on all of these, but I don't need it to be super in depth because whatever interests me I end up experiencing for myself. My favorite stuff on Giant Bomb are the Wipeout and Farming Simulator (2012) quick looks of the site, the Phantasmagoria run, or the surprise Bad Dudes endurance run. Game shows with Brad Muir or the sports experts flaunting their knowledge and skills. Flight Club and Random PC games.

These are the best things on the site.

#16 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1889 posts) -

I like Giant Bomb the way it is just fine.

However, in an ideal world I would like it if they had someone who could cover sports games, and even jRPGs. One is rarely played by informed gamers (people who come to websites like this) but is played by a lot of normal gamers. The other is perhaps so niche right now that only very informed gamers play them. Both are aspects of gaming that could be better represented.

Also, more stuff like League of Legends and what's going on with online gaming, but I have a hard time imagining Giant Bomb doing that, even in an ideal world.

That said: Typing that out made me realize just how good Patrick has been for the sight. He has brought a fresh view on games, especially indie and horror games, that the site didn't have before. We could use more people like that, but it seems like the site has strong leanings towards PC Strategy, Simulations, and Classic games (Vinny, Drew, Dave) and Fighting, Racing, FPS games (mostly Jeff, some Brad).

#17 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

Personally I feel that QL's of lesser known games are far more useful and enjoyable than any review could be.

#18 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

D. Mobile apps.

#19 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

@fisher81: This.

The quick looks of shovelware are some of the best videos they have produced.

#20 Posted by Nodima (1290 posts) -

@Viking_Funeral said:

I like Giant Bomb the way it is just fine.

However, in an ideal world I would like it if they had someone who could cover sports games, and even jRPGs. One is rarely played by informed gamers (people who come to websites like this) but is played by a lot of normal gamers. The other is perhaps so niche right now that only very informed gamers play them. Both are aspects of gaming that could be better represented.

Also, more stuff like League of Legends and what's going on with online gaming, but I have a hard time imagining Giant Bomb doing that, even in an ideal world.

That said: Typing that out made me realize just how good Patrick has been for the sight. He has brought a fresh view on games, especially indie and horror games, that the site didn't have before. We could use more people like that, but it seems like the site has strong leanings towards PC Strategy, Simulations, and Classic games (Vinny, Drew, Dave) and Fighting, Racing, FPS games (mostly Jeff, some Brad).

I'm torn on the sports thing. As a sports gamer, it bugs me TO NO END really that reviewers continue to be dishonest about the games they're getting. The past two NBA 2K installments have received more praise than ever before, but they're arguably lesser titles than 2K11 and beyond in a number of ways (2K13 is almost impossible to play correctly without an online connection, for example). I would love for someone who's well-verses in sports games to be given an hour to record themselves playing the game and giving their opinion on a major outlet; surprisingly, even OperationSports doesn't do this.

On the other, as I noted in a recent thread debating the merits of Jeff & Ryan's QuickLooks, I do see value in the way things are done now. Any game can be somewhat impenetrable to the layman who doesn't care much, and sports games are no different. In fact, NBA 2K is probably the most complicated game to control other than combo-based fighters on the market this generation. It's a MONSTER. It comes with a 10 page manual; 8 of those pages are move combos, and the other two pages are legalese. That's pretty crazy for a beginner, and the way the game operates is even crazier (difference in timing between online and offline, wild moodswings in A.I., etc.) It's refreshing to see how daunting these games can be to the uninitiated, and also pretty entertaining to see people so willfully ignorant to the rules of a common game in the name of having a good time (or being idiots).

#21 Posted by hwy_61 (943 posts) -

I voted for more Steam games. You know what else I would love more of? Spoilercasts. I love to hear these guys go at it when it comes to big games. The difference in opinions makes for great radio.

#22 Posted by TheVideoHustler (404 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

Nintendownloads.

You shut your whore mouth.

#23 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3242 posts) -

Quick-looks of great games that need attention.

#24 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

Quick look everything lol remember that? If Jeff just wanted to show us those two games he should of just called it what it is. So yeah, although it would never happen, I'd like to see them just do videos of random games they like from the past.

Brad should play Dark Cloud 2, record it, and tell us if it still holds up. That's they type of content I would like to see. Their coverage of retail releases and steam games is great as it is.

#25 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

I'd like some comparison videos. For 2 easy examples: Horizon vs Most Wanted or Blops2 vs Halo 4. The Blops/Halo one may be pointless because we're all already dead set on our preferences, but the racing one sure as shit would have helped me out haha

#26 Posted by CannibalFerox (296 posts) -

I'd like to see a video feature, you could call it "The Dare", where once a month, a GB person has to play a game they absolutely hate, somewhere in the middle of the game, for one hour. For example, Jeff could play a later chapter of RE 4 or Demons' Souls.

#27 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

I would like Giantbomb to pick up Sterling McGarvey from gamesradar for sports games coverage since he's a free agent now but that's not going to happen.

#28 Posted by gaminghooligan (1483 posts) -

@Vexxan said:

Love video reviews, hopefully they'll come back.

#29 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -
#30 Posted by EXTomar (4940 posts) -

I would like to see coverage on things like League of Legends or other MMO style games with continuous and changing events and systems but I am not sure how that would work in a group like GiantBomb. Brad flirts with being in the know of Starcraft 2 but he can't devote enough attention to it.

#31 Posted by Vrikk (948 posts) -

Anything flight club.

#32 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

It's hard not to know tonnes about high profile games, already. Coverage of games I would have otherwise never heard about are much more useful to me. I do think Giantbomb's struck a nice balance already, though.

#33 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

I am most interested in quick looks of older titles (N64 and back from there - which is actually still not all that old in the grand scheme of gaming.....).

Playing them on virtual console or any other means would be fair game too. Maybe it would be less of a quick look that I want, and more of a "these are the significant games from this platform" type series done over the course of a year, with 5-10 entries.

#34 Edited by Pudge (922 posts) -

More Encyclopedia Bombastica stuff for sure, but perhaps in the office with a couple people like a normal Quick Look instead of a solo joint for some of them. There is something about the one man projects that makes them unbearable for me (I have the same problem with most of the Spooky Scoops vids, but Friday the 13th was great). The only video of that type that works is Jar Time, but that's just Jeff talking without the distraction of playing a video game, so it makes sense why it would be different.

Also, Neverdead. They need to do a Neverdead Quick Look. Or an Endurance Run. Or just post a status report on how the disc is adjusting to its new life on the floor in the office.

#35 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

The only thing I can say about coverage is that I think the whole reviews might just kind of go away. I think they probably take up more time than they are worth. Between the Bombcast, Quick Looks, and other videos we get a good idea of how they feel about these games. If they can spend that review write up time on covering other, say smaller games, then that's a good thing. Or doing features like ER, TANG, or whatever.

@Nodima said:

I'm torn on the sports thing. As a sports gamer, it bugs me TO NO END really that reviewers continue to be dishonest about the games they're getting. The past two NBA 2K installments have received more praise than ever before, but they're arguably lesser titles than 2K11 and beyond in a number of ways (2K13 is almost impossible to play correctly without an online connection, for example). I would love for someone who's well-verses in sports games to be given an hour to record themselves playing the game and giving their opinion on a major outlet; surprisingly, even OperationSports doesn't do this.

Off topic, but I wanted to just say I agree with you on this criticism of 2k13. I play offline and just realized the virtual currency was a thing and so I connected to get into he system, and then I returned to offline play and the whole system dispersal. I didn't get any credit for my previous or subsequent play of the game. And I can't then do a lot of the customization for my My Player character. Really crap design that is driven by a desire for micro transaction money

#36 Posted by Panchos (15 posts) -
#37 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

They don't need to go super obscure or anything, but more than the highest of high profile games is nice. There's what I guess people 'round here call "b" tier titles, and a lot of them are *really* good if the gameplay type appeals to you.

#38 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

@fisher81 said:

Quick Looks of B-Games.

Or lower.

#39 Posted by SargeGulp (240 posts) -

@EXTomar: It's refreshing when they go off the reservation a little bit. Like Vinny and Flight Sims. The problem is they don't often play those games, partly due to time constraints and also as Jeff has basically said "I didn't start this website to play games I don't want to play."

The Bombcast is kind of full up. Having Drew or Dave etc sit in just doesn't seem feasible due to the fact that 5 duders is enough. Also those guys have jobs and I assume are usually busy.

Although I will say Patrick does seem to play some weird shit sometimes, so his "whatcha been playing" is oftentimes more interesting to me than the others'.