What was the best and worst ending that you ever faced? Spoilers

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Many of us have faced endings that left us with a "oh snap" face or with a expression of disbelief nearing throwing the controller at the tv because of a disappointing ending.

When were yours? 

If you contain spoilers in you post please signal it, so nobodies' ending surprise will be spoiled...

Mine were Silent Hill 2 (true ending) and Knights of the Old Republic (dark side ending).

Silent Hill 2 left me really disturbed and sad... It's was traumatic ending. 

The kotor in the other hand was an ode to my personal ego lol

An ending were I couldn't ask anything more..

On the other hand... Knights of the Old Republic 2 endings left much to the interpretation of the player... It was unfinished like the rest of the game sadly... because it really was an upgrade from the original game. 

cheers guys

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Not sure about best, not sure i've ever been more than satisfied at the end of a game.

As for worst, ohhhoooo boy. Well, the only one I havn't totally blanked from my memory yet is Alone in the Dark. Man I was prepared to put up with that games bullshit enough to enjoy it right up until it kicked me in the balls with that ending.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty
edit: i hate the quote system so i'll just take the quote out

A lot of games don't really finish strong in my opinion; I'm pretty lenient towards storylines most of the time but I almost always come away dissatisfied with the ending (that goes for movies as well). The most recent exception for me was Mass Effect; loved how all the unexplained pieces came together in the end.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Secret of evermore-best
Final Fantasy 7-worst

darkspirit138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By darkspirit138

MGS3 was one of my favourite endings. It was really, really good.
Maybe my least favourite ending ever is Shinobi III. Awesome game, but nowadays the ending is so fricking cheesy you laugh at it.

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DeadMan

Winning the Superbowl in Madden 09, come on we need more than just confetti. How about some athletes crying and fans storming the field.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain

Oh and Bioshock. Fuck, that game should have ended when you were talking to Ryan, would've been depressing but in a good way. The ending (and boss fight) we got was a fucking insult.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

The latest Prince of Persia game has the worst ending to a video game in a long time.

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cdfishman

best ending... M.Bison taking over the world in SF 2.

that was satisfying.

worst. Fallout 3 (pre DLC)

I could've made that! I wanted closure not a holiday snaps montage.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Deusoma
Halo 2 has the worst ending of any videogame. It's a proven fact. Science was unaware that that much Suck could exist in any one spot before that game came out. Rest of the game's okay, but the ending is the stuff of epic ballads about crap. And best ending? Hmmmm. Well the ending I most enjoyed would have been Metroid Prime's, but that was more from the fact that I was totally pumped from having beaten it than from the fact that the ending itself was anything special. The best ending in-and-of-itself I've seen would probably be Metal Gear Solid 3. The kind of ending that makes you actually think about the game you just finished playing, and the games you've played in the past. Nicely done.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By TheFreeMan

It's a tie for best ending for me. MGS3 is obvious, but I also want to chuck in Devil May Cry 3 because not only did I enjoy the story and the finale, but you actually got to play through the credits in a seemingly never-ending wave of demons. Cool. Oh, damn, and World Ends With You (last one, really).

Worst would be Oblivion. I mean.....it was pretty anti-climatic in the sense that you were getting pumped for this battle and you barely do anything.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#12  Edited By TobyD81

Best, not sure, maybe I'll get back to you
Worst, this:

Ooop, sorry, just dropped massive Master Chu and the Drunkard Hu spoilers. This is the worst because you know you just wasted 30 minutes on this crap game and for it you got a crap ending.
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MGS4 was the worst ending.  It really might not be the single worst ending ever, but it's close and due to how it ruined all the momentum the game had up to that point it was by far the most disappointing ending to any game.  PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER!

Based on the merits of story, I'd have to say the best endings are probably to LucasArts adventure games.  I remember loving the endings to the Monkey Island games and Full Throttle especially.

Now this isn't story based, but one of my favorite endings to this day is the ending to Streets of Rage.  If you play it co-op and are both alive at the end boss, he asks you to join him and you can answer independently.  Having the two players end the game dueling each other for control of a criminal empire is a pretty awesome idea and I don't know why more games don't try something fun and memorable like this.  I mean that game had no story and that's one of my favorite endings to this day.

LADIESMAN217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LADIESMAN217
HandsomeDead said:
The latest Prince of Persia game has the worst ending to a video game in a long time.

I bought that game, but never beat it because it was so bad. What happened in the end?
Avatar image for rectum_abominae
rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rectum_abominae

Worst - Ratchet and Clank Future

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By giyanks22

24 this season had the worst ending...
It ....
nvm... we're talking about games...

Halo 2- Worst
Mass Effect Best

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By Sooperspy

Bioshock

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo
@HandsomeDead:

I thought the PoP ending was outstanding, I can see how people would hate it though.  There's a bit during the ending that I thought was sublime game development; it's probably the only example I could point to if I had to explain how games can be art - I don't want to spoil the ending, so I'll just say the failed double-jump really made me think and justified the whole ending for me.

Anyways,
Best: Mafia
Worst:  Fallout 3, Fable 2, GTA 4 (really the entire back half of GTA 4s story annoyed me).... there are way to many awful endings to pick the worst one :(
Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Win

Best (in recent memory) : Braid and COD4

Worst (again, in recent memory): Assassins Creed.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo

Half-Life 2: Episode Two. Best ending ever made.

GreatFunStuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GreatFunStuff
!!!SPOYLURZ!!!

Wasn't horrible, but Infamous left some serious shit out at the end. What happened to Sasha!? Who was the red figure that was revealed at the end? I think its supposed to be you... but that doesnt make sense really.
Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Clubvodka

Worst- Grandia or Shenmue II, both amazing games, but with Shenmue I knew that was it for the franchise and it ended in such a piss poor way.

Best- Max Payne 2 everything wraps up, the credits roll with the song Late Goodbye, it just all fits. OR GTA IV, I felt totally bummed that I'd let Roman die

Protoroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Protoroll

Assassins Creed had the worst ending ever. It was right when everything was about to take off and then BAM! (pun intended) it was over. I could here the guys a Ubisoft laughing their asses off at us.
The best ending would have to go to be SPOILERS the secret ending in Final Fantasy X-2 when Tidus comes back.  

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jeust
@Protoroll said:
" The best ending would have to go to be SPOILERS the secret ending in Final Fantasy X-2 when Tidus comes back.   "
I want to see it :p
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By Red

When I first beat it, I thought the ending of The World Ends With You was ridiculously vague, but it wasn't that bad. I'd have to say the worst ending of ANY game ever was Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword for the GBA. It [spoilers]

made you feel all great from beating the dragon, but then it flashed forward to the evil king of FE6. The biggest kick in the balls is that no, we can't try and find out what happened because Nintendo have been too busy making out with Mario and giving out smiles to localize FE6.

[end spoilers]
As for other bad endings, the Golden Sun games never really had good endings. The Lost Age's was pretty good until they decided to totally backhand one of my favorite characters. Any game with "FIN" at the end is a bad ending too. Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow had a garbage ending. Horrible, horrible ending.

As for good endings, I really like all the BioWare endings, and Uncharted 1 also had a fantastic ending. Shadow of the Colossus and Crisis Core made me cry, so I guess they're up there, too.
ohmagnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ohmagnus

best was cod4 or halo3
worst was halo2..the epic sense of disapointment when you think ur gona bustintothee3demoandfinishthefight! but no, nothing like that..just a long wait.

Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mrnitropb

Worst ending in any medium is the ending to the Dark Tower series. I threw the book and broke a hole in the wall.
Metal Gear Solid 2 still bugs me.
And pre-Broken Steel Fallout 3.

Lyphen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lyphen

Worst has to be FarCry (PC). The volcano level was just so poorly designed, and the enemy placements made it nearly impossible.

Best, maybe COD4, which just had great scripted scenes all around, or Mass Effect, which really faked the ending choice very well.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#30  Edited By EpicSteve

Metal Gear 4...If they actually cut to the credits after you herd the gunshot.

Best-Mass Effect. Not neccesarly the "ending", but the last two hours of the game is epic.

Worst- Most games, really. Not too many of the end well at all. Crackdown, I guess.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By gingertastic_10

he didnt say it had to be video games...so i think the ending that was the best, was the ending to Of Mice and Men...powerful stuff

spoiler ahead:

worst would be the ending to Knowing....aliens, seriously :/

but in video games, the best ending, was prince of persia, yeah i know not a lot of people liked it, but it showed the bond between them. 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Half-Life 2 and its two episodes and Portal..

each one of those three had a perfect ending that kept me staring at the screen for 5 minutes after they ended.
*SPOILER* also the Crysis ending when you jump into that aircraft that takes you away after stopping the huge radioactive beast from swallowing the carrier  *SPOILER*
oh and ofcourse the Gears of War ending was EXPLOSIVE!

worst ending? hmm.. i didnt find Assassin's Creed's ending so bad. Medal Of Honor Airborne disappointed me when it ended after only 6 missions and i was like WHAAAT ALREADY? but it was a glorious ending.

I dunno i cant think of any bad endings really
vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By vendetta
@HandsomeDead said:
" The latest Prince of Persia game has the worst ending to a video game in a long time. "
Stole mine. I totally agree. What a putrid, worthless way to end a game.
Protoroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Protoroll
@Jeust said:
"
@Protoroll said:
" The best ending would have to go to be SPOILERS the secret ending in Final Fantasy X-2 when Tidus comes back.   "
I want to see it :p
"
Here you go

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best: Braid, Earthbound and Half-life 2
Worst: Halo 2, sorry for being unoriginal, brain isn't working

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jeust
@Protoroll: :') it really is great... it has all the little details that make an ending perfect... now i only have to pass the X-2 to see it for myself :)
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hairydutchman

COD World at War wasn't anything special, but the ending where you plant the Soviet flag on top of the Reichstag was really epic.

Bioshocks ending felt really out of place. They created a great world with a good backstory and all they could come up with where those silly CG endings...

tonezB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tonezB

My favorite ending in recent memory was Portal's. I thought it was a great game throughout, but the ending made it amazing. I also think that the ending of MGS 3 was amazing, but wasn't as thought provoking as Portal.

Least favorite would have to be God of War 2. I was just as frustrated as I was disappointed when I couldn't continue with the assault on Mount Olympus. I remember being amped up to fight with the awesomely imagined titans, then the game was over.
Protoroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Protoroll
@Jeust said:
" @Protoroll: :') it really is great... it has all the little details that make an ending perfect... now i only have to pass the X-2 to see it for myself :) "
You have to do certain thing in the game to get that ending, so not everyone who beats the game gets that ending.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jeust
@Protoroll said:
"
@Jeust said:
" @Protoroll: :') it really is great... it has all the little details that make an ending perfect... now i only have to pass the X-2 to see it for myself :) "
You have to do certain thing in the game to get that ending, so not everyone who beats the game gets that ending. "

Hummm i have to see that... thanks for the heads up :)