What was the best Turn based strategy games of 2005-2012

Shotgunblast97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shotgunblast97

So the turn based genre is a gaming genre that I am very interested In but find it hard to find games in that genre. So I was wondering what are some good turn based strategy games from 2005 to 2012. Also what turn based games have good graphics.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By project343

Civ 5 and Shogun 2 get my votes, but I'm certainly not well versed in the genre.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By buft

ghost recon for the 3ds was really great, it was difficult but fair, you knew if yo got boned it was your own fault

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By jozzy

Crusader kings 2!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By crusader8463
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@jozzy: CK/Victoria/EU3 are all real time. Total War games are kind of a mix.

Valkyrie Profile 2 is technically turn based; though the complexity of the battle system makes it feel real time; excellent game. Heroes V, King's Bounty, and their respective expansions are the best of the rest. Galactic Civilizations is the best out of the 4X genre.

You could play Supreme Commander in a pseudo turn based fashion if you like, certainly takes as long as turn based games do.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sooty

XCOM is great but I think Frozen Synapse is the best turn based game in recent years.

It has such a cool style, XCOM on the otherhand...well it's pretty damn ugly all around, though I like the alien designs.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Akeldama
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Funkydupe

I really liked Shogun 2. I'm looking forward to Rome 2.

The combat in these games are in real-time though... so perhaps not the best examples of Turn-based strategy. The only turn-based aspect is found in the strategic overview map.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By FilipHolm

Civ 5 all the way :D Really looking forward to checking XCOM out too, loved the demo.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By MocBucket62
@Funkydupe: Totally my thoughts on the series. You can't say that those games are complete real time or turn-based strategy games. Its a hybrid of both if you are playing the campaigns. 

As for best Turn-based strategy games from 2005-2012? Hmm, I only played two true turn based strategy games from 2005-2012 that are quite excellent: 

Age of Empires: Age of Kings (DS)

Civilization IV
jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jozzy

@Fredchuckdave: Ugh. You are totally right, Crusader Kings 2 is real time. I was even playing it yesterday. ...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Hailinel

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance remains my favorite game in the series.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@Kidavenger: That's a great list. XCOM: EU is excellent, Civ5 is great (though I prefer Civ4 by a slight margin, more open ended and complex with inferior combat). King's Bounty: AP really took me by surprise when I bought it at a discount on Steam practically on a whim. Didn't hold my attention for the entirety of the campaign so far but I had a great 30+ hours with it. I really had room for a very simplified HoMM-like game and didn't even know it. Though I started playing HoMM3 way before I knew that the original KB kind of defined the tactical combat ahead of the HoMM series.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Azteck

Civ5 is my favorite turn based game.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Codeacious

XCOM/Civ V are great, but also check out Frozen Synapse, which is one of the best competitive turn-based games I've played in a while. The single-player isn't bad, but multiplayer with friends is the way to play that game.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Not sure Total War is really TBS... I guess it could be if you sim all the battles? It's a mix, but there's enough RTS that I wouldn't consider it as part of this list.

I love XCOM to death, that might be my favorite. Civilization... may be the best. Those games are just so huge and addictive, and it's hard to compare that scale to anything else.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By jacdg
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#21  Edited By ArbitraryWater
pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By pyromagnestir

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

@Kidavenger said:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Total War: Shogun 2

Valkyria Chronicles

Might & Magic Heroes VI

King's Bounty: Armored Princess

This. But I swear to God, I must be one of the three people that liked Empire Total War. Anyway, I've been playing Civ V the past few days, seriously, it's a no brainer.

That makes me the 2nd of the 3.

As much as I've liked what I've played of Valkyria Chronicles (I'm maybe half way through at this point) I feel like, for a strategy game, the game is really stingy with the amount of information it gives you to build your strategy. Really the only thing you know before starting a mission is the objective, and that's not even always very clear. One mission said destroy a tank, and I thought ok I'll bring a bunch of tank killing dudes, but it turns out that was not what I needed.

Fire Emblem Path of Radiance is great. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn was a bit harder, which I liked, but the end was kinda went too far, and it made the units you'd been using kind of useless. Still love that game.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Raven10

Well if you count 4X games as TBS (which they are) I have to say that I loved Galactic Civilizations 2. Great game. There have been a couple other decent 4X games out there in recent years, but can't say I've played those. My favorite TBS game of all time is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. It is maybe 15 years old now but it totally still holds up. The graphics are 2D but they are gorgeous and the depth and balance are second to none. It should work on modern PC's and there are mods being made to this day that really improve the game. The more recent Heroes games are okay but they can't compare to 3.

Crusader Kings 2 just came out recently which is supposed to be pretty great if you want something very deep and complex. All of Paradox's games fit that mold. Some are better than others but they all are incredibly deep but very hard to get into. Europa Universalis is another one of their games. If you want something vastly more complex than the games mentioned here then you might want to give those a try.

Silverblade_GR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Silverblade_GR

@Raven10 said:

Well if you count 4X games as TBS (which they are) I have to say that I loved Galactic Civilizations 2. Great game. There have been a couple other decent 4X games out there in recent years, but can't say I've played those. My favorite TBS game of all time is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. It is maybe 15 years old now but it totally still holds up. The graphics are 2D but they are gorgeous and the depth and balance are second to none. It should work on modern PC's and there are mods being made to this day that really improve the game. The more recent Heroes games are okay but they can't compare to 3.

Crusader Kings 2 just came out recently which is supposed to be pretty great if you want something very deep and complex. All of Paradox's games fit that mold. Some are better than others but they all are incredibly deep but very hard to get into. Europa Universalis is another one of their games. If you want something vastly more complex than the games mentioned here then you might want to give those a try.

Fully agree with the above, particularly about HoMM III which, short of Civilization, is the classic of classics for TBS games. I also loved the Master of Orion series, which sadly died an ugly death with MOO 3.

More to the topic, I fully subscribe to the below list apart from Valkyria which I will look for:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Sid Meier's Civilization V

Total War: Shogun 2

Valkyria Chronicles

Might & Magic Heroes VI

King's Bounty: Armored Princess

I am currently digging XCOM. Despite its bugs, its lightweight and awesome. You can always trust Firaxis to make (or remake) a great game. I also have Elven Legacy which I haven't yet played. And Total War is the ideal hybrid for me. Can't wait for Rome II.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@augamer said:

Hey

Im putting up a project to make a good strategy game that mixes real-time building like CIV and turn based like XCOM.

Can you guys give me your feedback

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1692066826/31016148?token=40de7377

Civ doesn't have real time building.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gamefreak9

I second XCOM.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@augamer said:

Hey

Im putting up a project to make a good strategy game that mixes real-time building like CIV and turn based like XCOM.

Can you guys give me your feedback

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1692066826/31016148?token=40de7377

also if you want my money you better have a video.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm does Jagged Alliance 2 count? Ok the last expansion pack was released in 2004 but after that they rleased a fanpatch which makes the game even better than it was before.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked all of the game already mentioned, but I also really liked Disgaea 3 and 4 for PS3. Those were great.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XCOM Enemy Unkown

Valkyrie Chronicles

Blitz4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turn-based Strategy games:

XCom Enemy Unknown

Civilization

Faster than Light

Sword and the Stars: The Pit

Wizardry 8

Real-time Strategy games:

X3: Terran Conflict (huge game)

Age of Empires (a bit dated), there's others like Company of Heroes, Warhammer Dawn of War II

Total War

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

Avatar image for christopherson329
christopherson329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

FIRE EMBLEM AND PERSONA 3 and 4

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By noblenerf

If I were entirely objective, I would probably say Civilization V (with its expansions) or perhaps XCOM: Enemy Unknown. But in all honesty, my favourite turn-based game released in that period would be Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. It is a superbly crafted game that is a blast to play, and its sequel Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn ramps things up even more than I expected.

Glad to see some others share my opinion. Mouldy onions!

Crusader Kings 2 is for all intents and purposes turn-based, so I will give it an honourable mention. It is a wholly unique and incredible game that is more fun than I would ever have expected. Another honourable mention for Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together and Persona 4 which I'm sure are both great but I (regrettably) have never played.

So, the final round-up is... (insert drumroll here)

Winner: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Runners-up: Civ 5 + expansions, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, XCOM: EU

Honourable Mentions: Crusader Kings 2, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, Persona 4

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwhom

I didn't much care for Heroes 6 or King' Bounty at all. I thought the way they pushed Heroes 6 was dishonest, because it wasn't especially cinematic at all. And the races themselves didnt feel especially balanced, and 5 had that problem as well but was a better game otherwise. And King's Bounty I dont really care for because there's no sense of a singular enemy force. You're just sort of running into random enemies, you're never being chased down by an evil hero or worrying about your home base coming under attack. I found it super dull, honestly.

Civ 5 (as it is now), X-Com, Fire Emblem POR and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 are what immediately came to my mind with this. A2 doesnt get enough credit for how interesting (I thought) the judge system could make things. POR gets a lot of credit for the pure insanity behind the time travel aspect even if the game is waaaaay easier than previous entries because of the team up system (which could have been solved by giving the enemy the same ability). Civ 5 as it works now make conquering harder and cultural victory easier, and it can't be easy to make the options for winning other than "kill everything" more appetizing. X-Com kind of speaks for itself, I feel like it rejiggered the genre in a way that it hasnt been since the original FFT introduced most people to this sort of game in 98 or Disgaea back in 03 (yes it was a decade ago).

I'll go ahead and throw honorable mention at Shadow Run just because its been so long since that universe had a game deservering of the name. Its essentially x-com mechanically, right down to the icons, but x-com with elves is no bad thing. And the hacking stuff, while underdeveloped, was interesting for sure.

And I'm really not sure why people are bringing up Tactics Ogre. Good game for sure, also about a decade older than what the topic is asking for. Reading is fundamental. But if we're bringing up old stuff, Age of Wonders 2 and its expansion are criminally underrated.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Does Fire Emblem count? If so then Awakening and XCOM are my favorites

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By biggiedubs

@akeldama said:

I really enjoyed my time with Jeanne d'Arc

Hell yeah. It's a shame how buried that game is. Didn't even come out in Europe, though.

I really liked Luminous Arc for the DS, too. Nice little Fire Emblem / Final Fantasy Tactics rip-off.

bgmnts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Xcomm Enemy Unknown but my god it gets really hard really fast. At least for me.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By rorie
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

Metal Gear Acid 2 is way up there towards the top of the list for me.

I feel like those games were probably massively underplayed, both because all handheld MGS games are criminally underplayed, and also it was totally not canon and had its own weird fiction and character designs.

Still, what I saw of them looked pretty cool.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@bisonhero: MGA2 is seriously one of the best handheld games I've ever played. Crazy art style, super gameplay, weird-ass story. Need to go back to it at some point.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While Civilization V is definitely my favorite, I wouldn't say that it got remotely close until Gods and Kings. Vanilla Civ V was just god awful.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was gonna say Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, but wikipedia says that was 2003, so nevermind I guess.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By Hunter5024

Any Fire Emblem that came out between now and then, Valkyria Chronicles, Xcom, Tactics Ogre, and Civilization V are all excellent games.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Fire Emblem: Awakening, XCOM: Enemy Unknown and Civ 5.

Fuck Valkyria Chronicles.