• 90 results
#1 Edited by Jahandar (37 posts) -

Hey, I'm mostly a lurker, but all of the "end of the year" stuff got me thinking about what the best year in gaming history would be, and after thinking about it, I think I've come to my conclusion: 

I've made a GiantBomb list illustrating my point: Why 1998 is the Best Year in Gaming History.

The new franchises that started that year, as well as the new additions to established franchises that year, are pretty impressive.  

Anyway, what do you guys think? Agree or disagree? If you disagree, what year would you nominate?

#2 Posted by GioSpy (99 posts) -

Yep 1998

/thread

#3 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@GioSpy said:
" Yep 1998  /thread "
Yup.
#4 Posted by poser (379 posts) -

1998 hands down, there isn't even a debate.

But as far as the past decade goes 2004 and 2007 were strong years.

#5 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

2007:

Assassin's Creed  
Bioshock   
 CRYSIS 
Call of Duty 4  
Halo 3
Medal of Honor: Airborne  
Mass Effect   
Rock Band
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl  
Super Mario Galaxy
The Orange Box 
The Witcher 
World in Conflict
#6 Posted by GioSpy (99 posts) -

Oh yeah and maybe you could put Banjo-Kazooie on your list ;P

#7 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

© 2011 Giantbomb Thread Generator  

#8 Posted by Sulla (49 posts) -

Objectively speaking I would probably have to agree with 1998, you can't really argue against that list. However, since I was 8 then, I didn't get to play most of them. For me personally, it was 2007: BioShock, Call of Duty 4, Portal, Europa Universalis III, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Civilization IV - Beyond the Sword. That's not even counting Mass Effect, which came out in 2008 for PC. 

And if 2011 is going to be even half as good as we expect it to be, it's going to be up there.

#9 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

starsiege tribes. DUH

#10 Posted by Jahandar (37 posts) -
@GioSpy: Thanks, I've added Banjo-Kazooie. I'm not a big console player, so those titles escape my memory easily.  

@Ahmad_Metallic and @poser: yeah, 2007 looks like a very strong candidate for the 2nd best
#11 Posted by Jasta (2217 posts) -

I had my year picked before I even entered the thread...but then I read that list. So yeah...1998!

#12 Posted by Empirepaintball (1389 posts) -

In the new century, 2007 was strong.

#13 Posted by RTSlord (1198 posts) -
@GioSpy said:
" Yep 1998  /thread "
indeed
#14 Edited by Jahandar (37 posts) -

Other worthy 2007 titles: 

The Lord of the Rings Online (ate so much of my time) 
Titan Quest 
Penumbra: Overture 

The Orange Box alone though makes 2007 a great year. TF2 and Portal are monoliths. 

I definitely think this is the 2nd best year.

#15 Posted by Wuddel (2077 posts) -
  1. 1998
  2. 2007
  3. 1991

IMHO
#16 Posted by President_Barackbar (3415 posts) -

I don't agree with 1998. As someone who didn't have an N64 or a PC at the time, and I don't really feel like I missed anything. Going by that logic then, I don't really think you can pick a "best" year ever for games as its really just whatever year has the most games you personally like.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (35803 posts) -

1996, since that's the year Seisen no Keifu was released.

#18 Edited by Jahandar (37 posts) -
@President_Barackbar: I think even if you didn't play those games, the case can be made that those games were influential enough to have a major effect on their respective genres, and the games that came later.
#19 Posted by JoeyRavn (4946 posts) -
#20 Posted by mikeeegeee (1549 posts) -

I thought 2004 was a pretty big year in terms of influence and high profile releases: 

• Ninja Gaiden
  • UT 2k4
  • Far Cry
  • BF: Vietnam
  • Doom 3
  • Burnout 3
  • Fable
  • Katamari Damacy
  • San Andreas
  • Killzone
  • Halo 2
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • Half-Life 2
  • CS:S
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • World of Warcraft

And some more, too. Full list:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_in_video_gaming

Hard to argue with 1998, though. Funny that we waited six years for the second iteration of Half Life, and here we are seven years after HL2 waiting for HL3.
#21 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
"   © 2011 Giantbomb Thread Generator   "
So true.
#22 Posted by Jahandar (37 posts) -

2004 was definitely a good year... I got a big kick that year following all the WoW vs EQ2 hype in the months leading up to the release of both MMOs

#23 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5796 posts) -

My favorite game was released in '07.

1999 had some good games too. System Shock 2, Silent Hill, Planescae: Torment, Donkey Kong 64, Age of Empires II, Final Fantasy VIII, Homeworld...

#24 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i do agree, 98 or n64 era was the best. i remember jumping from a super nintendo to a n64. it was a real jump for me to get a new console that had such great graphics. 

goldeneye had to be the must play game for that system. it was just so awesome to play. a couple of years later rare made perfect dark. an even better game than goldeneye. it was the same game pretty much just different settings and the guns had secondary use. one of the guns could turn into a gun. 

@mikeeegeee:  don't forget there are also the episodes that came out.

#25 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

98 without a shadow of a doubt for me.

Half-Life and OoT easily trumps pretty much anything just by themselves.

#26 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -

I'm going to say 2007.

#27 Posted by chem (162 posts) -

Dayum, I wanted to say 2007 right off the bat but after seeing that list I have to go with '98.

#28 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Pretty much, yeah. That year is the reason I'm a gamer, pretty much.

#29 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

2011 is going to be a big fucking deal. 

A big fucking deal.  

I think it might even overtake 1998.

#30 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

the safe answer is it hasn't happened yet

#31 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

98 for sure, then 07, 04, and 91.  But this year could possibly be the best of them all.  Just November alone will have Uncharted 3, Skyrim and probably Mass Effect 3.

#32 Posted by tooPrime (338 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" @ryanwho said:
So true. "
Hey guys, recommend me an album by posting a picture of it or better yet post pictures of the covers of albums  that you like.
#33 Posted by coaxmetal (1569 posts) -

Yea, I've always thought of it as 1998.

#34 Posted by drgrumbles (205 posts) -

#35 Edited by Jahandar (37 posts) -
@RobotHamster said:

" 98 for sure, then 07, 04, and 91.  But this year could possibly be the best of them all.  Just November alone will have Uncharted 3, Skyrim and probably Mass Effect 3. "

Definitely titles to look forward to, along with Brink and Portal 2, but I'm not sure that this year's games will be as groundbreaking as those in 1998. Entire genres were defined that year, such as First-Person Stealth. Of the 5 we named, only one isn't a sequel.
#36 Posted by Jahandar (37 posts) -
@tooPrime said:
" @EvilTwin said:
" @ryanwho said:
So true. "
Hey guys, recommend me an album by posting a picture of it or better yet post pictures of the covers of albums  that you like. "
and btw yes, I know its kind of a silly topic, but it was something that I was legitimately thinking about. I guess that shows how big of a nerd I am. :)
#37 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

I say 2007. 
Mass Effect
Bioshock
Assasions Creed
etc.

#38 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

good case for 1998.  I think some important stuff happened in 1996 but I wouldn't necessarily say it was a better year than 1998.  1999 saw the release of Everquest and Asheron's Call.  Pretty big deal in gaming and the evolution of MUDs into subscription MMOs.

#39 Posted by Federbeast (3 posts) -

I consider 1998 to be the best.

#40 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
OP forgot "...you've ever seen someone cosplay as"
#41 Posted by FlyBikes06 (86 posts) -

Doom
Mortal Kombat II
Super Mario All-Stars

#42 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

1998 is definitely one of the strongest years in gaming history and 2007 is the strongest year for this generation of gaming.

#43 Posted by BeachThunder (11638 posts) -
#44 Posted by RagingLion (1363 posts) -

What was released in 1991 then for that to be a contender?

#45 Edited by jasondaplock (260 posts) -

2011 will take this throne from '98. I don't know if you guys have taken a peek at the line-up for next year but even just the list of known contenders is insane. 

2007 is my personal pick, but the correct answer is 1985 when the Famicom made its way to US shores, reviving the medium wholesale from near death. As a historical bulletpoint, it is more or less impossible to beat.

#46 Posted by BeachThunder (11638 posts) -
@RagingLion said:
" What was released in 1991 then for that to be a contender? "
Lemmings
Civilization
Super Mario World
Monkey Island 2
Sonic
Commander Keen 4,5,6
Final Fantasy 4
Street Fighter II
Another World
Metroid II
#47 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

2000. At least for the PC.

Diablo II, Deus Ex and Baldur's Gate 2.

#48 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

I only had a N64 in those days (plus played some pc games) - But 1998 wins on Banjo Kazooie and Ocarina of Time. Probably purely for childhood nostalgia, but still...

#49 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3532 posts) -
@jasondaplock said:
the correct answer is 1985 when the Famicom made its way to US shores, reviving the medium wholesale from near death. As a historical bulletpoint, it is more or less impossible to beat. "
I came here to pretty much say exactly this.  If you're not old enough to remember going from Atari to Super Mario Bros, your opinion on this subject doesn't matter.  You can have a personal favorite year, but that's about it.
#50 Posted by MrCellophane (524 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
" 2011 is going to be a big fucking deal.  A big fucking deal.   I think it might even overtake 1998. "
It will be years of the sequels, maybe. But as far as new IP goes, I don't think anything can beat '98. StarCraft, Pokemon, Half-Life and more? Hell yes