What was the Best Year in Gaming History?

• 89 results
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Vodun

There can always be made arguments that better games have been released other years, but I can't imagine a single year that so many revolutions in gaming happened. 1998 changed how stories were told in games, it changed how multiplayer was experienced and it  marked the end of the LucasArts adventure games (Escape from Monkey Island doesn't count), and good adventure games in general.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By tebbit

1998, but 2007 was surprisingly good too. Bioshock, baby! 

And Jeff got fired, but we won't talk about that.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By mikey87144

1. 1998
2. 2007
3. 2004
4. 2011? If all the announced games comeout this year, (I'm thinking Mass Effect 3 gets pushed to early 2012 but still) It will be the 4th best year. I don't see anything topping '98 though.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Jahandar: I'd agree. '99 and '00 were both pretty awesome as well. 2004 may have been a cracker, but I can't remember everything that was released. Got a niggling feeling about it.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By MysteriousBob
@TomA said:
" I say 2007.  Mass Effect Bioshock Assasions Creed etc. "
Bioshock is good. 
Those other two are wank. 
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Jimbo

I doubt '98 will be beaten anytime soon, but this year could give '07 a run for its money.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By alexl86

Abe's Oddysee is '97.

I'd like to submit 1990

• Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Duck Tales
  • Mega Man 3 (my personal favorite of the series)
  • The Secret of Monkey Island
  • Wing Commander
  • Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
  • Final Fantasy
  • Final Fight
GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By GeekDown

1998 and 2007.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By armaan8014
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"

2007:

Assassin's Creed CRYSIS Call of Duty 4 Medal of Honor: Airborne  Mass Effect  Bioshock S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl The Orange Box The Witcher World in Conflict "
yes
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#60  Edited By sammo21
@Jahandar: This is highly subjective.  I thought last year was a pretty damn good year in games.  Why are people failing to include downloadable titles and PC games?
LincoIn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By LincoIn

1998 was an epic year for N64 owners but I only had a PS1 then. For me it had to be in 2007,  awesomely overwhelming year...

• Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Bioshock
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  • Crackdown
  • Forza Motorsport 2
  • Halo 3
  • Mass Effect
  • Rock Band
  • The Darkness
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: The Shivering Isles
  • The Orange Box
Jahandar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Jahandar
@alexl86: Thanks for the correction. I replaced Odysee with Exoddus. 

I also added a few other games that people suggested, including Pokemon Red/Blue. I've never followed that franchise so I didn't even realize that those games started in '98.
gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#63  Edited By gamb1t

why are people saying 07 and adding ASSassins creed. that game was super hot garbage

Jahandar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jahandar
@sammo21 said:

" @Jahandar: This is highly subjective.  I thought last year was a pretty damn good year in games.  Why are people failing to include downloadable titles and PC games? "

I agree 2010 was a great year, but I don't think it was quite as good as 1998. I'm not sure what you mean about not including PC games. I've been almost exclusively a PC gamer for over a decade now (don't even own a console) so that's definitely where I focus my attention, even though I try to be mindful of what's going on in the console world.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#65  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@gamb1t said: 

" why are people saying 07 and adding ASSassins creed. that game was super hot garbage "

Assassin's Creed, my friend, was a groundbreaking masterpiece. what i cant compute is how a game whose only real flaw is having a certain pattern in its missions makes it super hot garbage. truly cant compute.  
The story, the graphics and textures and visual style, the sexy climbing around, the combat mechanics, the evasion mechanics, the horse riding, the brilliant historic setting and significance, the leap of motherfucking faith, the compelling stealth feel, the dialogue, the AI, Altair and his ultimate fucking badassery and agility..... 

the only flaws that jizz inducing masterpiece had were the missions not being so diverse which is okay because A) it was a new brilliant IP and couldnt be perfect in every aspect and B) it was the POINT of the games to assassinate nine bad leaders..  and the only other flaw i can think of is the occasional irritating climbing mistakes/Altair running up a wall in vain, or the combat shittiness which only occurs when you're surrounded by 100 guards.  

The Assassin's Creed haters, is it that when they bought the game they expected more in the missions and were disappointed which built hate inside them, or is it that they think the game is good but overrated, or what ?? whats their problem ? 

@armaan8014 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
"

2007:

Assassin's Creed CRYSIS Call of Duty 4 Medal of Honor: Airborne  Mass Effect  Bioshock S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl The Orange Box The Witcher World in Conflict "
yes "

Joker369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Joker369

1998 or 2007

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Clinkz

Damn 1998 was amazing and if you count Mario Party (December 1998 for Japan, early 1999 for NA) it was definitely the best year in gaming. I also found 2000, and 2001 to be pivotal years but thats just my opinion.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Chirag4
@GioSpy said:
" Yep 1998  /thread "
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Djeffers03
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"

2007:

Even if you aren't a Halo fan you still have to include Halo 3 on that list. And let's not forget Super Mario Galaxy and arguably Rock Band / Crackdown.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Djeffers03: done
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By armaan8014
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @gamb1t said: 

" why are people saying 07 and adding ASSassins creed. that game was super hot garbage "

Assassin's Creed, my friend, was a groundbreaking masterpiece. what i cant compute is how a game whose only real flaw is having a certain pattern in its missions makes it super hot garbage. truly cant compute.  
The story, the graphics and textures and visual style, the sexy climbing around, the combat mechanics, the evasion mechanics, the horse riding, the brilliant historic setting and significance, the leap of motherfucking faith, the compelling stealth feel, the dialogue, the AI, Altair and his ultimate fucking badassery and agility..... 

the only flaws that jizz inducing masterpiece had were the missions not being so diverse which is okay because A) it was a new brilliant IP and couldnt be perfect in every aspect and B) it was the POINT of the games to assassinate nine bad leaders..  and the only other flaw i can think of is the occasional irritating climbing mistakes/Altair running up a wall in vain, or the combat shittiness which only occurs when you're surrounded by 100 guards.  

The Assassin's Creed haters, is it that when they bought the game they expected more in the missions and were disappointed which built hate inside them, or is it that they think the game is good but overrated, or what ?? whats their problem ? 

@armaan8014 said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
"

2007:

yes "

"
For writing that about Assassin's Creed alone I feel like giving you TWO high fives. Big fan of the IP

KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By KillerBears

I came here to argue but holy shit, 1998 it is.
The last 3-4 years have been nothing to complain about at all, though. There were definitely some dry spells in the early 00s.

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By striderno9

I gotta say, 2007 was pretty amazing. having Portal Mass Effect and Bioshock (among other greats) was fantastic and all of them new franchises. Although 1998 was fantastic as well. 

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#74  Edited By Little_Socrates

1998 really just has Pokémon and Banjo Kazooie for me. MGS was still too imperfect a game for me to really consider it; it NEEDED that first-person perspective The Twin Snakes eventually got. Then again, I have a huge axe to grind with Ocarina of Time, as I've played that game recently and I believe it to not be very good at all.

I like 2007 a LOT for Best Year in Gaming, but 2010 is honestly an AMAZING runner in this competition. Though there were a number of disappointments (as there were in 2007,) the best titles of this year largely make it into my best titles EVER. BioShock and Portal pretty much make 2007 my pick (as, aside from Resident Evil 4 and Red Dead Redemption, they are probably my favorite games ever,) but 2010 has to be my runner-up thanks to RDR, Super Meat Boy, Bayonetta, VanQuish, Amnesia, Mass Effect 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Deadly Premonition, and LIMBO.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By kingzetta

every year duuuuuuuuuuuuuuh

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MayorFeedback

I don't think 1998 is the "best" year in gaming so far, but you guys make a pretty good argument for it being "one of the most important." 

Current gen, though, 2010 KILLS. 2007 is very close, but man, 2010 was !!!!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@armaan8014: hey one of the pics isnt showing so you fail 

however im sure it was your usual 'put your hand on the screen' high five trap that makes me reach for my monitor and hurt my belly against the desk, you vile temptress, and therefore i laugh at you for failing to post it. ahahahah.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#78  Edited By spazmaster666

While 2007 comes in a close second, I'd still have to go with 1998. I mean Half-Life was THE game that really got me into playing PC games.

Jahandar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Jahandar
@Little_Socrates said:

" 1998 really just has Pokémon and Banjo Kazooie for me. MGS was still too imperfect a game for me to really consider it; it NEEDED that first-person perspective The Twin Snakes eventually got. Then again, I have a huge axe to grind with Ocarina of Time, as I've played that game recently and I believe it to not be very good at all. I like 2007 a LOT for Best Year in Gaming, but 2010 is honestly an AMAZING runner in this competition. Though there were a number of disappointments (as there were in 2007,) the best titles of this year largely make it into my best titles EVER. BioShock and Portal pretty much make 2007 my pick (as, aside from Resident Evil 4 and Red Dead Redemption, they are probably my favorite games ever,) but 2010 has to be my runner-up thanks to RDR, Super Meat Boy, Bayonetta, VanQuish, Amnesia, Mass Effect 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Deadly Premonition, and LIMBO. "

You make some valid points, however I am still leaning towards 1998, not only for the quality of games but for the genre-defining games. Most of the recent years' best games, while certainly great games, were iterative releases based on things that came before. 

On the other hand, 1998 was filled with titles that defined their respective genres. The Thief franchise, for instance, is still the game by which all stealth games are judged, as well as being lauded for its use of sound as a major gameplay mechanic. Starcraft brought us large scale global competitive RTS. Baldur's Gate has been the inspiration for countless RPGs and MMOs. Grim Fandango is the climax of the entire generation of LucasArts-era adventure games, and pioneered the use of LUA scripting (which is still common today). Half-Life... was Half-Life. Unreal and Half-Life brought us the first iterations of the game engines that so many of the best First and Third Person games today rely on.

Etc, etc etc. 

Of course there were groundbreaking titles like Portal and Assassin's Creed in other years, yes, but not in nearly as high a concentration or with as huge an impact. 

1998 is great not only because that year's titles were great, but also because they inspired amazing games in all of the years that followed.
Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Faint

1998 was a strong year indeed. i think 2007 is the best of the past decade. i think 2011 has the potential to be a strong contender also. there is A LOT of games i want to play coming out this year compared to last.

i mean... uncharted 3, mass effect 3, deus ex 3, elder scrolls 5, arkham city, la noire, dead space 2, little big planet 2, bulletstorm, killzone 3, pokemon black/white, new zelda (doesn't really interest me but im sure millions of fanboys will be jizzing hard out / thus acknowledge its importance in the year's releases), dragon age 2, crysis 2, portal 2, resistance 3, rage + im sure there will be some great 3ds games out by the end of the year. sure its extremely optimistic i guess to be suggesting 2011 will be right up there before any of the games are out, as a lot of them probably wont live up to potential, but at this point it looks extremely optimistic as a top 3 years of gaming contender in my opinion.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By MikkaQ

I remember 1998, 1999, and 2007 as being particularly awesome. 

Avatar image for shadowknight508
ShadowKnight508

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#82  Edited By ShadowKnight508

1998 in my opinion was the best overall year for gaming. 2007 would be 2nd overall and 2010 would be 3rd overall in terms of games that came out in their respective years.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By armaan8014
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @armaan8014: hey one of the pics isnt showing so you fail  however im sure it was your usual 'put your hand on the screen' high five trap that makes me reach for my monitor and hurt my belly against the desk, you vile temptress, and therefore i laugh at you for failing to post it. ahahahah. "
No no! One was a bear giving a high five, and another was a t-sirt on which two guys were giving a high five to each other (Made to look 3d due to the boobs on which the t shirt was tightly fitting.) Though I WAS tempted to post my favorite, evil pic, I instead thought of putting something new!
Belmont_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Belmont_Shadow

1998 easily but 2011 can rival 2007 in terms of Quality. Mass Effect 3, Elder scrolls V, Diablo III, Uncharted 2, 3DS games, Skyward Sowrd, Gears 3, ittle Big planet 2, Dead Space 2, Batman Arkham City, Possibly Assassins Creed 3 and Modern warefare 3 plus many more!

bryan10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#85  Edited By bryan10

I think 2007 is a pretty strong contender, probably even better than 2008.

The N64 got its first batch of really great games, including Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Turok, and some others.

PlayStation had one of its better years with FFVII, Castlevainia SOTN, Oddworld, Tomb Raider II, Crash Bandicoot 2...

PC had a ridiculous number of great games, including Fallout, Quake II, Age of Empires, Riven, Ultima Online, Dungeon Keeper, Hexen II, ect...

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86  Edited By Siphillis

1998 and 2007 are equal in my book, and they both happen to possess the two greatest Nintendo games ever:  Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Galaxy.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#87  Edited By davidh219

As soon as I saw 98 I was like "yup, you're right. Discussion over." Seriously though, even if the only notable game from 98 was ocarina of time it would still be the best year, because that's the best game ever made. 

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By dragonzord

•Deus Ex 
•Deus Ex 
•Deus Ex

Jahandar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Jahandar
@bryan10 said:

" I think 2007 is a pretty strong contender, probably even better than 2008.  The N64 got its first batch of really great games, including Goldeneye, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Turok, and some others.  PlayStation had one of its better years with FFVII, Castlevainia SOTN, Oddworld, Tomb Raider II, Crash Bandicoot 2...  PC had a ridiculous number of great games, including Fallout, Quake II, Age of Empires, Riven, Ultima Online, Dungeon Keeper, Hexen II, ect... "

do you mean 1997?
G24S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#90  Edited By G24S

What was the best year in cross-platform gaming history? 2007? Mass Effect, Orange Box, Assassins Creed, Bioshock, Call of Duty 4 and Rock Band comes to mind. Even if I don't think some of these games are really that great, their sequels have been superb.