What was the first game to give you buyer's remorse?

• 129 results
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Sooty

L.A. Noire, Mass Effect 3, Street Fighter x Tekken. (SFxT has crippling online sound bug and I'm going out on a limb here, but also terrible balance)

TheShoebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By TheShoebox

I don't remember the first game, but I remember the latest.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#103  Edited By FreakAche

Starcraft 2. I knew it wasn't for me, but I kept trying to convince myself that I could get into it.

Edit: Oh wait, the first game? Medabots Infinity

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Catarrhal

Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode for the NES. Kinda terrible from a gameplay perspective, but how many other NES games feature drugs and sex?

@VinceNotVance said:

X-Men for the Genesis. I saved up money for that game when I was young & bought it at a second-hand store, thinking it'd be totally awesome AND IT WAS A PIECE OF SHIT

Another good choice. I must say, however, that the commercial for that game was awesome.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Homefront

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By weegieanawrench

Guitar Hero: World Tour... According to Giant Bomb, I haven't played the game since January 1753. Huh.

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By MoseSSesoM
No Caption Provided
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#108  Edited By AlexW00d

L.A. Noire. Fuck that game so hard.

Pixelationist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Pixelationist

@Atramentous said:

God this is a hard one to pin down. If I had to guess my first I would have to say..... maybe.......Shinrei Jusatsushi Taroumaru. Its not that the game was bad, its just that I felt guilty about paying several hundreds of dollars for it. For perspective this was back in the mid 90's.

It looks awesome from the screeshot. Better or worst than Saturn Shinobi?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By BonOrbitz
The hype for Episode I got me excited enough to buy terrible things.
The hype for Episode I got me excited enough to buy terrible things.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#111  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Pixelationist said:

@Atramentous said:

God this is a hard one to pin down. If I had to guess my first I would have to say..... maybe.......Shinrei Jusatsushi Taroumaru. Its not that the game was bad, its just that I felt guilty about paying several hundreds of dollars for it. For perspective this was back in the mid 90's.

So much better. The 2d art was fantastic and the music even more so. It actually plays more like a shooter then a side scrolling action game.

Helgi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By Helgi

The first game I remember is Pariah.

Rookwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Rookwood

Grandia III

Spore got me as well. Learned the difference between a concept and actual gameplay with that one.

Pixelationist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Pixelationist

@Atramentous said:

@Pixelationist said:

@Atramentous said:

So much better. The 2d art was fantastic and the music even more so. It actually plays more like a shooter then a side scrolling action game.

Yup, that looks all kinds of dope, need to get me some of that. I'll reserve judgement on whether it's better than Saturn Shinobi until then.

But can it really be better than this? Dose it get better than this?

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By seannao

The FIRST one I can remember is Mechwarrior 2 because I didnt know what minimum requirements were as a kid.

The most recent one that sticks out in my mind are BRINK and Civ 5. Civ 5 because I liked Alpha Centauri's model of combat and everything better. Brink because it was developed by people who worked on the flop of a game called Quake Wars. I gave in to peer pressure and bought it. It was as short-lived as I feared it would've been.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Pixelationist said:

@Atramentous said:

@Pixelationist said:

@Atramentous said:

Yup, that looks all kinds of dope, need to get me some of that. I'll reserve judgement on whether it's better than Saturn Shinobi until then.

But can it really be better than this? Dose it get better than this?

As far as I know, we are the only 2 people on earth that actually enjoyed Saturn Shinobi. I remember picking it up for 20 bucks only a few months after it came out from a Toys'r'us (paper slip style) and loving it.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By donchipotle

Catherine

Well that's not the first, but it's the one I remember

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#118  Edited By Hosstile17

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

Enter The Matrix

Wasn't the first. But, it is the one that stings the most.

Cyanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Cyanex

Mario Paint

Pixelationist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Pixelationist

@DonChipotle said:

Catherine

Well that's not the first, but it's the one I remember

It verges on abusive, but the relief when you reach the top... Jesus wept! Proper sweaty-palm stress-gaming.

@Atramentous said:

As far as I know, we are the only 2 people on earth that actually enjoyed Saturn Shinobi. I remember picking it up for 20 bucks only a few months after it came out from a Toys'r'us (paper slip style) and loving it.

It's such a great game, so many moves at your disposal. This game does not get enough props when it is as good as the 16-bit entries.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Stubbs the Zombie.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Two things jump to mind: The failed EA MMO Earth & Beyond, and the 360 version of Two Worlds. Those were two completely atrocious games that I couldn't wait for.

QuietAlien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By QuietAlien

Chameleon Twist for the N64. I was 8. So young, so inexperienced.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By AiurFlux

Some of the older ones when I was younger I didn't like as much as I thought I would, but I was a stupid kid and my parents bought them for me. Eventually I got more intelligent and savvy in what I should and should not buy during the PS2 days, when I pretty much bought all my own shit out of my allowance and working jobs around the neighbourhood and a paper route, then eventually my first real job. My first real instance of buyers remorse came when I bought into the hype train and picked up Halo 3. I traded in Lost Odyssey as well just because I was in university at the time and living off of shitty pre-packaged foods. Big mistake. The ONLY times I had fun with that game was fucking around in 4 player co-op with some really good friends and unintentionally taking one another out with the lazer. The second time was fucking around online with some friends in a private match on Narrows, lazers only with maxed out speed and low gravity.

I'm going to say it. I liked Losy Odyssey more than Halo 3 and I flat out think it was a better game than Halo 3. I hated Halo 3 to the point where I now consider the entire series overrated shit. But hey, that's just my opinion and stuff like that.

tl;dr

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125  Edited By TheHBK

Seeing a lot of recent games but mine is not that far back. Had a SNES and Gameboy to start with and somehow, without reading gaming magazines, I always picked up great games. I even wonder how picking up TMNT 4 Turtles in Time worked out because I only got it because it was the Turtles! But on the N64, I got South Park. Oh man, I felt like I wasted 10 bucks because the game was not fun and the fog was horrible. And it was a FPS I guess, but it was just not as fun as watching an episode of the show on repeat.

grendelpierat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By grendelpierat

Thinking back to a time when I was a kid with a SNES and had more chances to buy rather then rent games I made the mistake of getting Barts Nightmare during the height of my love for The Simpsons, before I realized that there would never ever be a good game based on that licence. It was nothing but a collection of mini-games attached to a confusing hub world that made reading the manual a requirement. Even after I figured out how to finish each level the game was so poorly made I couldn't muster up the patience as a kid to get an ending better then C-, by then I was bored with it and just threw the cart to the back of the hutch we kept the SNES in and left it to collect dust.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

ballsnbayonets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By ballsnbayonets

MGS4 what a piece of shit i hated that game.

Sporkbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Sporkbane

Fallout 3, Spore, Skyrim, Every star wars game post KOTOR II(yeah it wasn't as good as the original, but it was still good), Bioshock 2. I'm sure I can think of more.

Man. I've dropped several hundred dollars on games I hate. That's depressing as hell.