#1 Posted by Vinny_Says (5687 posts) -

I know it wasn't GTA, but I'm having trouble remembering older games where your goal wasn't saving the world or a princess. Help me out duders, I ain't writing no research paper, I'm just curious.

#2 Posted by BaneFireLord (2912 posts) -

Death Race in 1976 technically had the player committing vehicular homicide.

#3 Posted by aspaceinvader (256 posts) -
#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5687 posts) -

"technically" yeah....but it says gremlins, does that really count as a crime? Good answer though, thanks for the reply.

#5 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3028 posts) -

Super Mario, you kill Goombas and koopas.

#6 Posted by Vinny_Says (5687 posts) -
#7 Edited by cloudymusic (1051 posts) -

@vinny_says said:

I know it wasn't GTA, but I'm having trouble remembering older games where your goal wasn't saving the world or a princess.

Every sports game? Puzzle games?

As far as actually "committing crimes," the old adventure game Gold Rush! had a few different crimes that you could commit (trespassing, stealing, and apparently claim jumping, which I don't remember) that would result in you being hanged from a gallows on-screen. (The same thing would also happen if you failed the copy protection check!)

#8 Edited by cmblasko (1123 posts) -

Stealing from the shop keeper in Link's Awakening.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
#10 Edited by BurningStickMan (201 posts) -

@aspaceinvader said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/keystone-kapers/3030-4423/

i think this might be the first one in video games, but could be wrong.

Yeah running from a cop is a crime I guess....I never played it, is there a reason you're running? Do you commit a crime beforehand?

Description's wrong. You play the cop in Keystone Kapers, chasing the robber. At least on the 2600.

#11 Edited by CornBREDX (4815 posts) -

Wolfenstein 3D I actively murdered an entire battalion of Nazi's.

Maybe to you that doesn't count so...probably Monkey Island. You steal a lot in that game and go pirating. A lot of crime making. That games pretty evil, you guys.

#12 Edited by JadeGL (749 posts) -

The Legend of Blacksilver on the Commodore 64. I either stole from a shopkeeper or killed him (can't remember which) and I had the entire town guard after me. It was pretty scary. That's the first "crime" I remember committing in a game.

BTW, check out this ballin' box art. I love old video game art that looks like it should be painted on the side of a van. :)

#13 Posted by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

I remember playing Daggerfall as a little kid and i ran around hack peoples doors down and stealing all their stuff. If i got caught i'd fight and kill the guards and run away.

#14 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1736 posts) -

By "actively committed crimes," we are apparently not talking about murder, running from the cops, or basically anything besides stealing?

Bonanza Bros. is probably what you're looking for.

Spy vs. Spy came out earlier, but doesn't seem to fit your very specific definition of crime.

#15 Edited by Jeust (10480 posts) -

Wolfeinstein possibly.

#16 Edited by OldGuy (1513 posts) -

Spacewar from 1962. You were murdering the other player when you destroyed their ship. If that isn't a crime, I don't know what is...

(note to self: GB needs a Spacewar [aka Spacewar!] page)

#17 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5242 posts) -

Pokemon Blue - Animal Fighting

#18 Posted by Hailinel (23915 posts) -

Maybe Dragon Warrior. Home invasion and robbery. (Those chests aren't going to open themselves.)

#19 Posted by Zoeytrope (90 posts) -

Probably the first Fallout? I dunno, does it count as crime in a lawless post-apocalyptic wasteland?

#20 Posted by bigjeffrey (4794 posts) -

Pacman, fucking thieve pacman stealing all the fruit.

#21 Posted by ThunderSlash (1557 posts) -

Paperboy, you were actively destroying people's properties just because they didn't subscribe to your shitty newspaper.

#22 Posted by Fearbeard (824 posts) -
#23 Posted by RonGalaxy (2873 posts) -

Probably something in the 90's era of gaming, but GTA3 was the first ps2 game I ever played and it was absolutely BANANAS to my adolescent mind, in terms of doing wrong things in a game. Putting in the dismemberment cheat code and shooting dudes limbs off has forever affected my gaming mind.

#24 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

@hailinel said:

Maybe Dragon Warrior. Home invasion and robbery. (Those chests aren't going to open themselves.)

This is what I came here to say.

#25 Edited by fetchfox (1221 posts) -

Puh, tough question. I guess GTA II.

#26 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2570 posts) -

I don't see any reference to this game existing in 1976, care to provide corroborating evidence.

#27 Posted by BaneFireLord (2912 posts) -

@banefirelord said:

I don't see any reference to this game existing in 1976, care to provide corroborating evidence.

Just going off the GB wiki page.

#28 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2570 posts) -

My guess would be Kaboom! from 1981. It is a human character dropping bombs, not a car, not a creature....thus a crime.

#29 Posted by AlmightyBoob (71 posts) -

Oh how everyone forgets Custer's Revenge.

#30 Posted by JouselDelka (967 posts) -
#31 Edited by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

@oldguy said:

Spacewar from 1962. You were murdering the other player when you destroyed their ship. If that isn't a crime, I don't know what is...

(note to self: GB needs a Spacewar [aka Spacewar!] page)

Over here.

#32 Posted by LackingSaint (1772 posts) -

My first video-game was Tarzan for the PS1 and at one point i'm pretty sure I killed some endangered stuff.

#33 Posted by Belegorm (355 posts) -

Zelda. I pretty much stole all the most valuable possessions of all the npcs in the game; why else would they keep them in such secure looking chests?

#34 Posted by RupertTheBear (178 posts) -

Final Fight. Self-defense may not be a crime, however breaking phone booth, benches, crates, and signs is considered vandalism and property damage. ( Apparently Mayor Haggar don't give a shit as long as it's your tax dollars paying for the damages. )

#35 Edited by Mogarth (15 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda, stabbed innocent old man in cave because I was frustrated.

#36 Posted by BisonHero (6193 posts) -

Do you mean crimes in an environment similar to the real world? Because yeah, people are listing off a bunch of early games where your main action is something that would be considered criminal (dropping bombs on stuff or whatever), but the setting is so fantastical/post-apocalyptic/undefined that it doesn't feel like a crime in the same way as GTA. Are goombas people, in the Mario universe? Is stomping on them murder?

#37 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2211 posts) -

As far as committing a crime in a game that can be replicated in the real world the only memory I've got that is the earliest for me was the first GTA on the PSOne, maybe BlackThorne on the SNES though if you consider turning the shotgun on your fellow human slaves.

#38 Posted by Rick_Fingers (524 posts) -

Monopoly - I robbed the bank

#39 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

Life. It's the only game everyone plays, actively committing crimes and never winning (in the end).

#40 Posted by Vextroid (1359 posts) -

Vette! for 80's/90's IBM PC's, Open world racing games were cops would chase you if you ran over pedestrians. Also had a great anti-piracy check, game would call you out saying you are driving a stolen corvette with police sirens.

#41 Posted by smarri (1 posts) -

There was a game for 8 bit home computers called 'They Stole a Million' http://www.mobygames.com/game/they-stole-a-million from the mid '80's. You purchased blueprints for your job, hired experts (eg: getaway drivers, alarm experts etc) then planned the raid on a time-line: at 12:01 disable alarm, 12:02 open door etc, then watched as your crew commited the crime (or failed spectacularily). It was pretty impressive for the time.

#42 Posted by popescu_florin (9 posts) -

Gta vice city here xD

#43 Edited by fisk0 (3849 posts) -

@vextroid said:

Vette! for 80's/90's IBM PC's, Open world racing games were cops would chase you if you ran over pedestrians. Also had a great anti-piracy check, game would call you out saying you are driving a stolen corvette with police sirens.

Vette! was one of the first I played too, at least where I can clearly remember the premise. In David Braben's Elite (1984) there was a lot of ways to break the law too, such as unlawful discharge of weapon while within a space station's docking perimeters, or just trying to smuggle drugs and weapons. You could also fire upon other ships, but I don't remember ever outgunning one.

Also, one of the many varieties of Drug Wars, I guess? I don't remember when the first of those was released though, but I'd imagine it being released in the 80's.

#44 Edited by hermes (1376 posts) -

Does Custer's Revenge counts?

Rape and bondage was pretty hardcore for a 82 game...

#45 Posted by jerseyscum (862 posts) -

Road Rash: Nothing better than attacking police officers with a baseball bat for attempting to stop your illegal street race. Piggy will probably walk it off after getting dropped at 80mph.